Getting dry, rough patches of skin on the body (or eczema or rosacea) can be painful and difficult to manage, which is why Aveeno’s Daily Moisturizing Lotion has become the bestselling body lotion in the entire United States (as well as a global hit)- as a cure for this all too common ailment.
Especially in the cold winter months, we all suffer from dryness from time to time, which can lead to irritation, itch, and even redness.
Is there any cure that can alleviate this dry skin and nourish your body without feeling greasy or leaving behind any sticky residue?
For a drugstore brand product sold under $7, Aveeno’s hydrating lotion is the perfect solution if you have dry or flaky skin and want an odor-free cream that’s lightweight and soothing, and some customers even use the delicate lotion on the face.
If you have sensitive skin, the formula is gentle enough to be used on nearly any body part, and leaves your skin feeling supple and refreshed.
Review: Aveeno Daily Moisturizing Lotion
For those of us who suffer from scaly, rough, dry and even red skin throughout the year (especially during colder months), it can be tough to find a perfect solution, especially if you have sensitive skin.
Often when trying out new moisturizing lotions on rough, dry, and sensitive skin, the result is just more redness and irritation, which defeats the entire purpose and only serves as more frustrating.
Some of these lotions and creams retail for a pretty penny, so when I rediscovered a childhood favorite and classic, one of the most popular body lotions on the market, Aveeno’s Daily Moisturizing Lotion, for under $7, I was shocked that it actually worked.
Having dry and sensitive skin along with rough patches (along the elbows and knees), I have tried countless products to treat my skin without much success, and with a lot of financial waste.
I know I’m not alone in this, and just like you, I read all of the reviews on the best treatments available for rough scaly skin (researching different serums, oils, creams, and anything that would work). At a certain point, price didn’t matter much, I just wanted something soothing to get the job done.
For my fellow readers who suffer from dry and sensitive skin or rough patches, you are certainly not alone, and there is a treatment available-I have finally discovered (along with the masses), a product that leaves the skin hydrated and refreshed for the cost of a cup of Starbucks coffee.
Aveeno’s Daily Moisturizing Lotion is award-winning for good reason. It locks in moisture into the skin for 24 hours and improves hydration and skin health within the course of one day, with significant visible results within 2 weeks.
Within that 2 week timeframe, my skin was softer, more supple, and the patches of dry skin were completely gone.
It’s also very gentle for sensitive skin, and recommended by dermatologists, even for those with topical conditions. It never feels greasy or leaves behind residue or odors, and doesn’t stick to your clothes.
The best part? It gets the job done for a low cost with good ingredients and lasts for months.
Don’t we all want to say goodbye to the pain of rough, dry skin without breaking the bank?
Aveeno Daily Moisturizing Lotion Ingredients
Especially for those of us with very dry or sensitive skin, checking ingredients in skincare products can be as important as those in the foods we consume. Colloidal Oatmeal is the active ingredient in Aveeno’s lotion and is known for its soothing and healing properties, especially for those with sensitive skin and topical conditions.
Here is a look at some key topical benefits with the use of Colloidal Oatmeal for the skin:
Can I use Aveeno Moisturizing Lotion On My Face?
A commonly asked question amongst customers who use the Aveeno’s Moisturizing Lotion is if it can be used on the face to treat dry and sensitive skin as well.
While it is not designed as a facial cream, and there are other Aveeno brand products designed for facial care use specifically, there are not any active ingredients in the Aveeno Moisturizing Lotion (for the body) that are harmful or dangerous if used on the face, so the short answer is generally yes.
While I have always used this as a body cream, two Amazon users reported very helpful answers that may best answer this question.
The first reviewer reported suffering from extremely sensitive and dry skin due to eczema, and uses the product as a face cream (and has been doing so for years) with the approval of a dermatologist and no adverse reactions. This reviewer claimed it has worked better than any other lotion or cream on the market for sensitive skin.
A second reviewer reported experimenting with all popular face creams on the market for sensitive skin without any results or benefits, and finally trying Aveeno’s Moisturizing Lotion as a face moisturizer. She reported very positive results, said it was very absorbing, and did not irritate her skin at all unlike all of the other lotions she had tried.
If you are not very oily and ensure you do not get the product in or around your eye area, the lotion should be safe for use on the face, even though that is not its original purpose.
Of course, if you experience any redness or reaction, you should discontinue use and wash with cold water.
Aveeno Daily Moisturizing Lotion: Positives and Negatives
Especially considering the price point and all of the benefits with use of Aveeno’s lotion, it’s difficult to find many cons unless there is a specific product allergy or if a customer uses this with oily skin and ends up feeling this is too sticky or greasy for their skin type. In general, this is more suitable for those with normal and dry complexions.
Here are a look at some main pros and cons to bear in mind prior to purchase:
- Formulation is fragrance free, so you can use as much as desired without smelling of perfume or harsh odor throughout the day
- The Aveeno lotion has a 24 hour moisture hold, which seals in hydration so you won’t experience dry or rough patches again the following day after use or need to reapply frequently
- Safe and suitable for all skin types including sensitive skin: even those with topical conditions (eczema, rosacea) can benefit from the use of the lotion
- Perfect for very dry skin, rough patches, scaly skin, and dehydration
- Clinically proven to improve hydration and skin health within one day of use, with significant improvements within two weeks
- Does not feel greasy, sticky, or heavy on the skin, and leaves behind no residue
- Leaves the skin feeling soft, smooth, and fully refreshed (especially if used after the shower, when even more product is absorbed)
- Aveeno uses very gentle, delicate, and safe ingredients that are non-comedogenic and dermatologist recommended
- For those with acne-prone skin: many users have found that the lotion has helped prevent, soothe and clear up breakouts and prevent new blemishes from forming (and certainly does not typically cause breakouts)
- The product is sold in a range of sizes from 1oz- 33+oz, for those new to the brand and those who love the item and appreciate the value, but the standard 18oz size is a great value for new and returning customers for value and price, and the 2.5 oz two pack sizes are perfect for value as well as travel
- At under $7, this is arguably the best body lotion for your money that can be found on the market containing the best ingredients, and actually works
- Leaves the skin with a beautiful, glowing looking sheen after use
- Provides skin relief for irritation and discomfort
- When used right out of the shower, helps seal in moisture and feels even more luxurious (without sticking to sheets)
- If you have oily or combination skin, you may find this lotion greasy or sticky on the skin, or feel residue left behind- it’s generally more suitable for those with normal or dry skin types, and designed to treat dry skin and rough patches on the body
- With such a delicate and gentle formula this is rare and is a con with any skincare product, but allergy can always exist, so it is important to spot test prior to using any new product on your skin (but again, this is one of the safest formulations for those of all skin types, even topical conditions)
Especially if you have very sensitive skin or have not used Aveeno’s Moisturizing Lotion in the past, the return and exchange policy in this case may be a highly important factor for you.
The manufacturer, Aveeno, has a strong return and exchange policy that honors full refunds upon dissatisfaction or allergy, and this policy favors the consumer, both new and returning.
If you are dissatisfied with the use of the lotion, or if it does not work for your skin to provide suitable hydrating skincare benefits, or you experience any product allergy or reaction to the formulation, you may elect to return it at any time.
In this case, you will receive a full refund equal to the entire purchase price of the item.
I was happy to discover that the formulation was gentle enough to use even with very sensitive skin and did not cause any irritation or breakouts, but due to any personal sensitivity concerns this policy may help assuage fears, as individual allergies are highly variable.
Aveeno Daily Moisturizing Lotion: Is It Worth It?
Aveeno’s Daily Moisturizing Lotion is one of the best deals I have found in the body care category, and is a bestseller and award-winning for good reason.
It is soothing, gentle, and actually works in providing relief for damaged and dry skin for a very low cost.
If you have dry patches, rough or red skin, irritated skin, or are simply feeling very dry, this is a daily go-to, and seems like a steal compared to the benefits.
It provides relief and works very quickly, and has a 24 hour moisture hold, so you won’t end up waking up to cracked or dry skin again in the morning.
Aveeno’s lotion is also safe for use in those with topical conditions like eczema and rosacea, so although you should always speak to your dermatologist before starting new skincare products, this is one of the gentlest formulas available.
When you need to get rid of rough, irritated, and dry skin that’s bothering you, you don’t have to give your credit cards a work out to do it. The best product is available at the drugstore and can address dry and sensitive skin like no other I’ve found yet.
5/5 stars for rough, dry, and sensitive skin repair!