Review: Milk Makeup Sunshine Oil (Best Vegan Skincare?)
When I first heard about the Milk Makeup line from a makeup artist, I found it popping up in smaller select stores of popular chain retailers, and she mentioned their popular Sunshine Oil and their popular “Meet The Fam” Set immediately.
I’ll add that the artist in question was a personal friend with no motivation in selling the product.
At the time I first discovered it, I was really only interested in the makeup and veered away from the skincare items in favor of other brands I’d become more accustomed to and experienced with over time.
The Milk studio makeup items were fantastic, so when I saw “Sunshine Oil” popping up all over my social media accounts and feeds, considering previous purchases, I had increased hopes for their skincare line also.
Milk Makeup prides itself on using the best sourced ingredients, being a fully vegan and gluten-free company, and rooted firmly in supporting environmental causes, so there was an additional benefit of feeling the purchase supported a transparent company grounded in fair practices.
We’re all looking for that one-step radiant young-looking glow without any hassle. I know I am. Here’s how to get it with Sunshine Oil.
Milk Makeup Sunshine Oil: My Review
Milk’s Sunshine oil is an all-in-one rollerball product that supports “hydration from head to toe,” so it can be used for the body or face. Given the cost and size, I used mine to test as a facial skincare product, but for those who really enjoy the texture and benefits, I could definitely see this being an excellent product for the body as well, though costly if used that way.
It’s a suitable solution for all skin types (including sensitive skin) that combines avocado, grapefruit peel, mandarin, and lemon peel oils to gently hydrate the skin, improve radiance and glow, help achieve more even tone, and treat any dryness or dullness. It’s also an anti-aging oil that improves the appearance of any fine lines or wrinkles in the treatment of preexisting damage, while acting as a preventative product for future damage.
I noticed visible improvements in brightness, radiance, hydration, the the overall aesthetic of my skin within days of use (seriously….this is one of my favorite must-haves ever), there is no other way to put it.
The product is paraben-free, has an eco-friendly design, and the oil formulation provides great hydration without feeling greasy or heavy on the skin. No residue is leftover, and skin is refreshed and brightened in the morning following evening use the night prior.
Milk Makeup’s Sunshine Oil is probably the best facial oil I have tried at this point to date, perhaps due to the high quality ingredient formulation. It’s safe and gentle for sensitive skin, hydration was fully restored and my skin looked soft, radiant, and dewy.
It’s perfect for prior to makeup application as well. I love that there is no heavy or greasy texture, as that seems to be the main setback with a lot of richer oils on the market. It’s a perfect treatment for dry skin, but those with combination types will benefit from restored oil balance as well. The oil smells lovely and feels great when applied, lightweight and citrusy in fragrance.
It can be used on any dry patches on the skin on the body, and even used for the nails and hair. The rollerball applicator allows for an easy application process where product glides on to the skin evenly and disperses. Skin is also visibly brighter and smoother. I rarely notice visible differences with respect to evenness of skin tone, but I will say that when using this product at night (alone without any other moisturizer or serum used in conjunction), I wake up with a brighter overall complexion.
All of the ingredients in the product support healthy, supple looking skin and work in tandem to support hydration and anti-aging.
If you’re comparison shopping and want to check out other Milk Makeup products, be sure to read our reviews on their Kush Mascara and Cooling Water while you’re here.
Milk Makeup Sunshine Oil: Ingredients & Benefits
Here is a look at some benefits to using the main product ingredients given the formulation:
Lemon Peel Oil
- Treats acne: lemon peel may treat existing acne and aid in the prevention of future acne and acne-causing bacteria
- Enhances radiance and the overall aesthetic: improves glow, radiance, clarity and hydration
- Removes dead skin and stimulates new skin growth and improved turnover, anti-aging
- Cleanses and lightens skin, helping achieve even tone and a brighter complexion
- Studies suggest lemon peel in tea may even help fight cancerous skin conditions
- Helps reduce oily skin, balances oil in combination skin
- Helps prevent acne and acne-causing bacteria, including future breakouts
- Helps to minimize the appearance of fine lines, wrinkles, and sun spots
- Helps reduce age marks, discoloration, and scar tissue
- Brightens skin, delivering a glowy, dewy aesthetic
- Helpful in evening out overall tone of the skin
- Has refreshing, toning properties to the skin when applied topically
- Can help in preventing or treating skin infection or minor irritation
- Promotes new skin cell growth and improved cellular turnover speed
- Hydrates: delivers moisture to the skin that is locked in
Grapefruit Seed Oil
- Helps improve a multitude of skincare concerns and conditions, including acne, stretch marks, scarring, eczema, psoriasis, and even cellulite (for body)
- Acts as a natural antiseptic to prevent acne causing bacteria and treat existing acne
- Vitamins A, C, and E are natural antioxidants and great for skin health
- May kill various strains of fungi and bacteria on the skin
- Works as a suitable antimicrobial agent
- Helps to calm and balance, helps calm itchy or irritated skin
- Supports hydration, great for treating dry skin
- Heals and repairs damaged or chapped skin tissue
- Shields the skin from UVA radiation, may act as a natural sunscreen and help in preventative anti-aging and fighting the effects of sun damage
- Protects skin from future damage and dehydration
- Rich in Vitamin E and fatty acids, the epidermis easily absorbs these ingredients and reaps benefits
- Rich in potassium
- Anti-inflammatory effects help treat and prevent acne and acne-causing bacteria
- Minimizes redness and signs of inflammation
- Aids in the synthesis of collagen production, anti-aging
- May help treating small wounds and scar tissue
- Reduces all visible signs of aging
- Treats sunburned skin
- Has the additional benefit of supporting nail and hair health, when used as a nail or hair oil
Milk Sunshine Oil: Positives & Negatives
The positives of the product are really in its multi-use benefits and visible differences to skin aesthetic, quality and tone. The main downside seems to be in the price point. I would love a bit more product for the money, especially to effectively utilize multi-use benefits. Considering the price point, I certainly limit usage to skin on the face, so it becomes a more singular use product. With that said, I noticed visible results and certainly love the hydrating oil. I’d recommend it to anyone with dry or sensitive skin seeking anti-aging benefits and an all-in-one treatment solution. It’s also a great option for vegans looking for skincare aligned with personal beliefs. Suitable for all skin types.
- Visible results quickly- users can expect to see brightened, softened, and more radiant complexions after only a week or two of daily use
- Fully repairs damaged skin, dullness and restores lost hydration
- Vegan, eco-friendly company who does not use any animal product or test on animals
- All natural ingredients free of any additives, fragrance, harsh chemical product, parabens or sulfates
- Free of any mineral oil
- Uses suitable blend of all natural oils that is gentle enough for even the most sensitive skin
- Effective for all skin types (dry, oily, combination, aged)
- Significant benefits with respect to evening out tone and brightening the skin, using natural oil and no chemical whitening products
- Anti aging benefits and preventative benefits
- Suitable for those with acne prone skin
- Product feels lightweight and is free of any greasy or heavy texture
- Great smell, citrusy fragrance with no perfume odors
- No residue or leftover product buildup is left behind
- The rollerball pen makes for an easy application
- Can be used in conjunction with other moisturizers to treat very damaged or dry skin
- Can be used prior to makeup and aids skin as a primer, helping achieve a more dewy and natural finish, free of any oil or high-shine (finish is still matte)
- Product is rich in antioxidants and vitamin ingredients
- Creative and attractive packaging and design aesthetic
- Price, at almost $50 it certainly does not come cheap, and some reviewers feel other oils on the market can compare to the product but at a cheaper cost and subsequently, those items feel higher in value
If you are in any way dissatisfied with the use of the product, it does not work for your skin, or you experience any product allergy or reaction to the formulation, you may elect to return the item. In this case, the manufacturer will refund the entire purchase price of the item. You may also wish to exchange the product for an equal and full refund. If you are a first-time user or new to skin oils, or simply have any uncertainty prior to use, you can bear in mind the policy prior to a final point of sale decision.
The Final Verdict
I would highly recommend Milk Makeup’s Sunshine oil for those with all skin types, or even sensitive skin, seeking an all in one brightening product with multi-use benefits. It is effective, gentle and suitable for use on the face, body, hair, and even nails. I noticed visible results and a fully restored radiance to the skin. It’s also a wonderful primer prior to using makeup.
When used as a nightly treatment, visible benefits are seen the next morning in the form of glowing and even toned skin that looks hydrated and refreshed. While I’ve tried many different oil products and formulations on the market, I appreciated this one for its lightweight texture. Skin is never left feeling heavy, weighed down, or greasy. While it feels light, it still provides excellent moisture restoration to dry skin and results are always soft and smooth.
While pricey, if used in moderation and only on the face, I do see a good value in the product.
Some will find they enjoy other brand formulations just as much or can find better value elsewhere, but personally this product really exceeded expectations. A drop or two goes a long way and the results are excellent.