As a huge fan of all mascaras and a willingness to try almost any product in the category, I quickly learned of the trending L’Oreal Voluminous Lash Paradise Mascara, and like you, read all of the glowing (and not so glowing) reviews.
While I was cautious given the low ($6) price point despite all of the popular beauty Vlogs, I decided it was worth it given the low risk involved.
Throughout the years most of us have probably dabbled in varying mascara products, hoping to find the best finishing look at the lowest price point, many of us with varying results.
Having tried mascaras upwards of $70 to those in the $5 range, I developed a certain expertise that makes it simpler to qualify individual eye makeup products- mostly to help fellow readers determine if a product is actually worth the investment and safe, even if the cost is low.
With that in mind, L’Oreal’s Voluminous Mascara seems to be a fairly middle of the road type product that tends to be a “love it or hate it” deal based on reviews, so is it worthy of the hype, or a dud?
And is it anything like Too Faced’s “Better Than Sex” for less than half the cost, like everyone says?
Review: L’Oreal Lash Paradise Mascara
L’Oreal’s Voluminous Mascara has recently gained quite a cult-following of loyal fans who appreciate the benefits of use and finishing aesthetic following application.
The mascara and eye makeup category are incredibly competitive, so it is often quite hard to determine what product stands the test of time and offers true benefits, and which will dry up quickly within a month proving a more expensive option would have been a better longterm solution.
Designed to produce intensified and volumized lashes that are soft to the touch and feathery, the applicator brush has over 200 bristles designed to catch every lash and provide a smooth, silky finishing aesthetic free of any smudges or clumping.
It comes in three different shades ranging brown brown to dark black, and soft wavy bristles help to achieve maximum length in addition to volume.
This particular product is definitely the best drugstore mascara formulation I have tried to date, and while I was initially incredibly skeptical, it was actually quite a good product, most comparable to the more expensive Too Faced “Better Than Sex” mascara.
Additionally, it did not dry out quickly and did prove product longevity, with benefits including improvements in length, volume, and depth perception. The wand makes for an easy application and the finishing aesthetic is quite natural, yet with a few applications looks more like false lashes (in a more natural, positive way, and devoid of any eye irritation or glue).
If you are seeking an inexpensive daily go-to mascara for day and night wear, for only $6, this product actually works- which seems impossible, and may not be the case for every user, but the vast majority of those who have tried and reviewed the product (including myself and ones with advanced experience with products in the category), have definitely experienced positive benefits following use.
Perhaps the only downside is with the majority of drugstore brand formulations, you will find ingredients containing sulfates and other binding agents, so if you are a fan of organic or exclusively natural products using only the finest ingredients, this may not be for you.
With that in mind, even with sensitive skin around the eyes, the product was not at all irritating and did not cause any problems following use.
Even as someone who has dabbled in formulations at much higher price points and from varying manufacturers, while I would not compare this product to the results found in other higher quality formulations- considering the value and price point, I had an extremely positive experience with using this product, and would absolutely recommend it above any other drugstore quality or low price point item in the category I have tried to date.
L’Oreal Lash Paradise Mascara: Pros & Cons
In comparison to any other drugstore brand product or product in the category I have tried to date, this mascara absolutely tops the list and I would highly recommend it if you are seeking an affordable option for a mascara that actually provides benefits with use (including lengthening, volumizing, and depth).
Additionally, the wand is easy to use and does not require reapplication throughout the day with a long-wear hold. With that in mind, there are some customers who have issues complaints about the product and feel it seems clumpy on application or dries out too quickly.
With that in mind, here are some main pros and cons to bear in mind prior to purchase:
- For an extremely affordable price, this mascara provides incredible benefits in comparison to others on the market that include lengthening, thickening, and depth (akin to false lashes but with a more natural aesthetic)
- The soft wavy brush glides on easily (containing over 200 fibers) and only requires 1-2 coats for wear and hold throughout the day without any smudging, stains, or “raccoon eyes” at the end of the day
- For those with straight lashes: offers incredible curl benefits with or without an eyelash curling tool
- Provides a long wear and hold that does not require frequent reapplication throughout the day
- Lashes separate quite well without any clumping effect and instantly appear longer and healthier
- Product did not spill on to the skin or above the eyes and was extremely easy to apply
- Provides excellent lash definition and is suitable for those in varying age groups, can be used by those of all demographics (younger and more mature customers)
- The brush makes it easy to reach lower lashes and corner lashes without any smudging, spills, or clumps
- For those familiar with “Too Faced” cosmetics, this product is most comparable to the “Better Than Sex” Mascara, just at a much lower cost to use
- Out of every drugstore mascara I have tried to date, this product has definitely proved the most efficacy and benefits to use
- Ideal for daytime wear or night looks (for a more dramatic aesthetic, you may wish to apply a few extra coats)
- Cruelty-free company: company does not test any of its products on any animals, use any animal product in any of its formulations, or use any product during any manufacturing processes (excluding beeswax)
- No traces of gluten product are contained in the formulation
- Works incredibly well with pink or lighter based primers- either of the same brand or of your selection
- If you are seeking a very low cost mascara that offers actual efficacy, you are hard pressed to find a better formulation than this one on the market that actually provides benefits (perhaps the greatest pro involved)
- Even with sensitive lashes/areas around the eyes, the product did not cause any reactivity or allergy following use (which is always a highly variable and individual experience)
- The product does seem to dry out quite fast, and by the end of the day (as with many mascaras) you can certainly feel the product on your eyes with an urge to remove it
- While I did not experience this, a minority of users felt the product was quite clumpy, particularly if using multiple coats for a more dramatic aesthetic
- It is rather difficult to remove using a suitable soap or gel cleanser, even though it is not a waterproof formulation (the product is best removed by using an oil-based cleanser)
- In comparison to other formulations, this product does contain Sodium Laureth Sulfate as well as “higher grade” versions of sulfate type ingredients, so if that is on your “cosmetics no” list, this may not be an ideal product (with that in mind I had no poor reaction even with varying sensitivities)
- As with any drugstore brand, the product cannot be tested prior to purchase, however with an online purchase, the money-back guarantee still applies
Especially considering if you are new to drugstore formulations, the return policy in this case may be a highly important factor for you.
The manufacturer, L’Oreal, has a strong return and exchange policy that honors full refunds upon dissatisfaction or allergy, and this policy favors the consumer, both new and returning. If you are dissatisfied with the use of the mascara, or if it does not work for your lashes to provide suitable benefits, or you experience any product allergy or reaction to the formulation, you may elect to return it at any time. In this case, you will receive a full refund equal to the entire purchase price of the item.
If the item was received as a gift (without receipt), the policy applies for an even exchange, and this policy is applicable to online purchase, as individual store policy may vary depending on location and distributer.
If you feel the policy if not taken into consideration, you may contact customer service, and you can remain ensured you will receive a full refund.
I was happy to discover that the formulation was gentle enough to use even with very sensitive skin/lashes and did not cause any irritation, but due to varying sensitivity concerns this policy may help assuage fears, as individual allergies are highly variable.
While I felt compared to the price point, this mascara offered incredible benefits and was the best product in the price range and drugstore item I have found to date, if you do not like it, you can simply return it for a full refund.
L’Oreal Lash Paradise Mascara: Worth It?
If you are seeking a daily go-to drugstore based brand that will not break the bank and will stand the test of time without any smudging, stains, or messes, this is definitely a product I would recommend free of hesitation.
Even with a personal trepidation regarding drugstore cosmetics in general and formulations and ingredients, this product is definitely a hit and a bang for your buck, so it’s a worthy and low risk investment to test out a product that may end up saving you a pretty penny in the long run.
With daily topical use, I noticed the product created a natural aesthetic that provided a clump-free day and night wear look, did not come off during the day, and provided excellent lengthening and volumizing benefits.
It is quite rare to find benefits at this price point, and with that said, this product definitely lives up to its hype!