Review: Tatcha Water Cream (Lightweight, Silky Hydration)
I’ve always been in full support and a fan of oil-free hydrating solutions and creams that can deliver the same hydration benefits despite high water content. Tatcha’s water cream is described by the manufacturer as a “burst of zen for your skin,” providing refreshing hydration, balance, helping to minimize pore size and calming any irritation.
The water cream is a special emulsion containing nutrient enriched water droplets derived from pure Japanese botanicals. It provides a solution for those with dry skin seeking a lightweight cream that doesn’t weigh skin down, or feel greasy or sticky. The cream employs proprietary blends of essential oils and even a hint of luxurious 23-karat gold for additional luster.
The product has the added benefit of being free of any harsh chemical ingredients, parabens, or sulfates.
If you’re comparison shopping for other Tatcha products, check out our reviews on The Silk Canvas primer and the 24k Gold Camelia Beauty Oil while you’re here.
Review: Tatcha Water Cream
I really enjoyed using this product and would certainly purchase it again as well as recommend it without any reservations. I certainly appreciate creams that are light in texture but hydrating, and safe for everyday use even with highly sensitive skin.
It’s ideal for daytime and evening use, and even with dry skin I did not need any additional supplement product or serum to use in conjunction with this, as it felt gently hydrating and was highly absorbing.
While it doesn’t run cheap, the amount of product needed is minimal, and with conservative product use it should last several months, even when used twice per day.
It’s also important to denote that upon purchase you often receive a handwritten note from the manufacturer, and a portion of all product proceeds are donated to charitable causes.
Tatcha Water Cream Ingredients and Benefits
Tatcha’s Water Cream employs nutrient-rich ingredients to restore hydration to the skin with water-bursts that break upon application to deliver nourishment without leaving skin weighed down or greasy. It clarifies and refines the skin and helps promote clarity and balance.
Here is a look at some of the main skin benefits in ingredients used in the formulation:
Japanese Wild Rose
- Helps in minimizing the appearance of pores and soothes even the most sensitive skin
- Anti-inflammatory properties help soothe and treat redness or skin irritation
- Mild antiseptic properties help prevent acne-causing bacteria
- Stimulates circulation and blood flow to face, improving the overall aesthetic
- Calming effect on topical conditions (i.e. eczema)
- Helps remove and prevent oil and debris formation within pores
Japanese Leopard Lily
- Helps in controlling excess oil production
- Helps in preventing acne and acne causing bacteria
- Encourages expedited and natural cellular turnover
- Clarifies and soothes skin, suitable for oily and dry types
Tatcha’s proprietary trio of Japanese anti-aging superfoods can’t be found in any other product, aside from other products by the same manufacturer. It contains a unique blend of green tea, rice and algae, and helps to restore a a radiant glow and delivery a soft, dewy complexion. Fans of the product enjoy purchasing a skincare treatment that not only works, but can’t be found in any other line or carried anywhere else. This blend is unique to the company.
Green Tea Extract
- B2 contained in green tea extract helps maintains structure and firmness to the skin, anti-aging properties including minimizing the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles
- Vitamin E (also found in green tea extract) supports skin cell growth and expedites cellular turnover while hydrating the skin, providing moisture benefits for all skin types, even very dry skin
- Fights skin cancer by promoting DNA repair and cellular turnover
- Protects against free radical damage in the environment
- Fights any preexisting DNA damage caused by sun damage (UVB rays-ones that cause burns and damage to the dermis)
- Antibacterial agent that treats and prevents acne and breakouts, prevents the formation of new acne blemishes and acne-causing bacteria
- Packed with nutrients and minerals that benefit overall skin health
- Helps in removing toxins from the skin
- Hydrates, softens, detoxifies while providing suitable hydration benefits
- Replenishes vitamins and minerals to the skin, good for the health and aesthetic
- Anti-aging ingredient that helps minimize the appearance of sun damage, lines, and wrinkles
- Protects the skin from UVB rays
- Helps reduce blemishes and acne, as well as fighting acne causing bacteria which leads to new breakouts
- Contains flavonoid compounds and natural antioxidants
Tatcha Company Background and Mission
Tatcha founder and CEO Victoria Tsai had a diverse background in corporate settings, working for large companies in varying departments, but had an underlying affinity for creativity, design, and holistic approaches to beauty.
After developing a skin condition herself she wanted to formulate a safe and effective product by sourcing only the best ingredients that was suitable for use in all skin types and even the most sensitive skin. She took a trip to Kyoto, Japan, and developed a “less is more” cosmetics philosophy after studying renowned Japanese skin practices. One of the oldest texts on Japanese beauty has both inspired and been the driving force behind the brand.
The company works with scientists in Japan and the U.S. to formulate safe products for modern life and suitable for all types of skin.
Additionally, the company is philanthropic and funds girls’ education in as a partner of Room to Read with every skincare purchase. Tatcha is founded on sourcing the best ingredients with the least amount of manipulation to offer a product that rates high in both safety and efficacy. Their philanthropic approach meets a cruelty-free line of cosmetics and skincare, offering a level of transparency customers find invaluable, and a portion of all proceeds (including the Water Cream) are donated to Room to Read, helping girls become literate and encouraging educational pursuits for women at all junctures of life.
This policy is applicable to every product the company sells.
The manufacturer, Tatcha, has a strong return and exchange policy that honors full refunds upon dissatisfaction. If you are dissatisfied with the use of the product, or if it does not work for your skin to provide suitable benefits, or you experience any product allergy or reaction to the formulation, you may elect to return the item. In this case, you will receive a full refund equal to the entire purchase price of the item. You may also wish to exchange the product for an equal and full refund. If you do have any reservations about product benefits to use or the price point, you can bear in mind the policy prior to your purchasing choice.
Positives and Negatives
I found the majority of applications and benefits to use for this product to be positive and noticed a visible difference to the quality, tone, brightness and overall aesthetic of the skin. The only negative is the price point, this is certainly an ideal product for someone who truly sees visible benefits and subsequently views it as high value. Some product reviews also mentioned skin breakout or irritation, which I personally did not experience even with very sensitive skin, but customers should bear in mind this is always possible, as with any topical product or treatment solution.
- Visible reduction in pore size
- Hydrating benefits: even customers with very dry skin will benefit from use and the product does not require a serum or oil used in conjunction for most
- Lightweight, skin is left feeling refreshed and never weighed down by any residue, no greasy or sticky texture
- Skin is visibly brightened and tone is evened
- Product and its formulation is safe for all skin types, including the most sensitive skin and skin conditions (i.e. acne-prone)
- Product does not typically cause any breakouts or allergies to ingredients, which are quite gentle
- Cruelty-free company: company does not test on any animals or use any animal product during any manufacturing processes (check out our review on Milk Makeup’s Sunshine Oil for another cruelty free product)
- Portion of all proceeds are donated to philanthropic efforts and charitable endeavors, not many companies can claim donations on 100% of product SKUs
- Product is free of any parabens, sulfates, mineral oil, or harsh dyes, chemicals or fragrances
- Those with oily skin can benefit from the lightweight texture of the product as well, experiencing better balance in the skin and a refreshed feeling
- Perfect for use under makeup to protect and nurture the skin
- Suitable for daily use
- Product longevity: lasts quite a long time even with continued daily use, particularly if used on skin that is still slightly damp
- Lovely crisp floral and citrus scent
- Price- at $82 for 1.7oz, this product should definitely be pretty close to perfect for the skin, but fans of the product mainly find the price is worth the value and worth the naturally based formulation and proprietary ingredients
- One product ingredient, gold, is an antioxidant but, as a personal aside, likely too pricey to be put in a skin cream, and doesn’t offer many benefits to use, the creams other ingredients are certainly more effective (if portions of proceeds were not charitable this would likely dissuade me from purchasing it, as it seems somewhat obnoxious as well, for lack of a better term)
The Final Verdict
While the product is certainly a splurge, it feels like a special treat and is a really luxurious cream. I enjoyed putting it on every day and night, and loved the addition of the spatula applicator, which helps in maximizing product longevity and prevents accidental overuse. I also really enjoy products with very lightweight textures that can still act as suitable sources of hydration- and even with very dry skin there was not a need to use a separate serum or oil in conjunction with the Water Cream. It’s packed with nutrients and natural botanical ingredients, which are both very active (and hence effective), and gentle enough for everyday use.
I would recommend the cream to those looking for moisture free of any oil and lacking a greasy texture. It’s definitely the lightest weight wear product I’ve tried so far that delivers this much moisture. Those with combination or oily tones also benefit from use, as it helps in restoring balance. The addition of gold (at over $1000 per ounce as a single ingredient) seems rather senseless, so this is one thing I would change in terms of formulation, as it seems to be based in marketing more than actual benefits to use.
But if you’re willing to spend a little more for results, this product definitely supports its claim and hype.
*Feature video Credit: Tatcha Founder Victoria Tsai/Sephora Inc.*