Like many of us with active lifestyles on the go, I was happy to discover Tarte Amazonian Clay Foundation, a non-caking formula that provides a matte-finish coverage that lasts for a full 12 hours.
We all know how tough it can be to find a perfect liquid foundation that actually lasts throughout the day without any slips or smudging, but with Tarte’s formulation, coverage stays in place and has a strong color match, with 40 shades to pick from.
Formulated with Amazonian clay and Vitamin E, it’s designed for normal to oily skin types (including sensitive), and is vegan and gluten-free.
When you’re looking for a perfect color match that feels breathable on the skin but still provides a full coverage matte-finish that won’t cling to dry patches/lines or cake up throughout the day, Tarte’s Amazonian Clay Foundation is a perfect daily go-to.
Bonus points if you’re a fan of natural products with clean ingredients and vegan cosmetics (but whatever your diet is, you’ll love the feel and finish of this foundation).
Review: Tarte Amazonian Clay Foundation
Tarte’s Amazonian Clay Liquid Matte Foundation is a full coverage long wear product (50ml) with an SPF 15, formulated with all natural ingredients and vegan/gluten-free.
Designed for normal to oily skin types, the foundation glides gently over the skin and provides an even and buildable coverage that feels lightweight and breathable but still conceals all imperfections, blemishes, pores, and balances tone.
With 40 shades available, the color match is fairly perfect in natural or indoor lighting and designed for all skin colors and undertones.
It’s also safe for sensitive and acne-prone skin, and doesn’t leave you with any redness or breakouts after use.
When I first tried out this foundation with a dryer skin type using my fingers to apply, I found it a bit cakey and difficult to apply. However, after applying a serum first, and working the product in using a brush, the finish was like applying a completely different product.
It felt extremely breathable but with full coverage, and my skin was left with a very even appearance, perfect color match, and radiant finish.
Because of the texture of the product, I would highly recommend applying it using any basic foundation brush (standard supply brushes or drugstore foundation brushes can be found for $2-$3). Using this changes the entire finishing look and the foundation looks nearly flawless after application.
The best part? It stays on without feeling cakey or smudging for hours throughout the entire day.
How Do I use Tarte Amazonian Clay Foundation?
- Use a dime size amount and place on the back of your hand
- Use your fingers or a foundation brush to pick up the product
- Gently sweep the foundation on to your skin using circular motions, starting at the center of the face and working outward
*For best use, ensure that this is applied after your regular skincare routine and any primer or serum you may want to use*
Tarte Amazonian Clay Foundation Ingredients
Especially for those of us with very sensitive or acne-prone skin, the ingredients in topical products, skincare items, and cosmetics, can be just as important as checking ingredient labels in the foods we consume to ensure the products are clean and check for any potential allergies.
Here is a look at a couple of key ingredients in Tarte’s Amazonian Clay Foundation and some corresponding benefits with everyday daily use for the skin:
- Acts as a natural exfoliant, helping to eliminate dirt, oil and debris
- Nourishes the skin naturally and effectively
- Helps to soothe minor skin burns and scrapes
- Anti-aging properties: helps diminish the appearance of fine lines, wrinkles, and sun damage, for younger looking skin
- Helps improve dull and sallow skin (restores a brighter and more radiant complexion)
- Anti-acne benefits: has disinfectant properties which can help kill acne forming bacteria
- Helps improve skin tone, texture, and clarity
- Can improve the appearance of acne scarring
- Helps to eliminate blackheads and whiteheads (unclogs pores)
- For dry or dull skin: helps contribute to a smoother, softer, and more radiant overall aesthetic, eliminating any sallow tones
- Safe and suitable for those of all skin types, including sensitive skin, and the treatment of many topical conditions
- Protects the skin by forming a protective barrier against environmental and pollution damage
- Protects skin from sun damage naturally and heals from prior damage
- Neutralizes the effects of free radical damage from pollution and UV radiation
- Over time, helps minimize and decrease the appearance of hyper-pigmentation and sun spots
- Improves hydration and moisture, helps bind moisture into the skin and restores any depleted hydration
- Acts as an anti-inflammatory and expedites healing rates for any topical abrasions, minor cuts, wounds, or irritations
- Anti-aging benefits: helps address concerns like fine lines, wrinkles, and over time hyper-pigmentation and sun spots
- Compliments SPF and helps further fight the harmful effects of sun damage
- Keeps skin hydrated, while helping to calm and soothe the skin
- Acts as an anti-inflammatory, can help with skin rash, itch or irritation
- Brightens the skin naturally and reduces signs of uneven tone and discoloration, promoting an even and smooth overall tone
Tarte Amazonian Clay Foundation Pros and Cons
Here are some key pros and cons to bear in mind prior to purchase:
- Minimizes the appearance of pores and does not clog pores
- Contains an SPF factor to help protect the skin from future damage/sun damage
- Cruelty-free company: company does not test on animals, use any animal product in its formulations, or during any of its manufacturing processes
- Vegan and gluten-free company
- Foundation has a long wear that lasts on the skin for 12+ hours without any smudges, spills, or fading throughout the day even for those with active lifestyles
- Formulated without any mineral oils, parabens, sulfates, or harsh chemical additives
- Safe for sensitive and acne-prone skin
- Full-coverage with a matte finish: conceals all blemishes and imperfections and even works around the eye areas (eliminating the need for concealers in some)
- Provides an even and smooth finish
- Strong color match with undertones that are nearly identical to natural skin color in real or artificial lighting
- With 40 color options, the foundation works for all skin tones and colors
- Although some say the product feels too thick, when you apply a small amount (which is all that is typically needed) and use a brush, the foundation actually feels very lightweight and breathable on the skin
- Great oil control and matte wear for those with combination or oily skin seeking shine control
- Buildable coverage for those looking for more natural looks or heavier coverage
- Even with sensitive and acne prone skin I did not experience any breakouts or reactions using the Tarte foundation (or irritation to existing blemishes)
- Only a small amount of product is needed for a full coverage of the neck and face, which adds to value and makes the product last longer
- Goes on even and velvety smooth
- Multi-use benefits: hydrating and great skincare benefits as well as cosmetics benefits as a foundation product
- Some customer feel the foundation feels too thick in texture and would prefer a more lightweight product on the skin
- For those with dry or very dry skin- the product can feel drying on the skin without mixing it with serum or oil product (or using one beforehand), or cling to dry patches- as someone with a dryer skin type, I used a rich cream prior to applying this and had no issues, but I could see customers running into problems trying to use this with dry skin without any other hydrating products on hand
- Price point: many feel the product is too expensive for a foundation product, however it is formulated with high quality ingredients and offers great benefits with use
Tarte’s Money-Back Guarantee Policy
If you have very sensitive or acne-prone skin (or price barriers are a concern given this particular item) or have not used Tarte products in the past, the return and exchange policy in this case may be a highly important factor for you.
The manufacturer, Tarte, has a strong return and exchange policy that honors full refunds upon dissatisfaction or allergy, and this policy favors the consumer, both new and returning.
If you are dissatisfied with the use of the Amazonian Clay Foundation, or if it does not work for your skin to provide suitable skincare and cosmetic benefits, or you experience any product allergy or reaction to the formulation, you may elect to return it at any time.
In this case, you will receive a full refund equal to the entire purchase price of the item (if purchased via Amazon).
In this case, the formulation of Amazonian Clay Foundation (as with most Tarte products I have tried in the past) was gentle enough to use even with very sensitive and acne-prone skin and did not cause any irritation or breakouts, but due to any personal sensitivity concerns this policy may help assuage fears, as individual allergies are highly variable.
I also did not find it drying, especially with the use of a serum beforehand.
Tarte Amazonian Clay Foundation: Worth It Winner?
I would definitely recommend Tarte’s Liquid Foundation for anyone (and aren’t we all?) seeking a base product that doesn’t irritate the skin with a long-wear throughout the day and a matte-finish without any smudges or spills.
The color matches are solid, the formula is gentle and soothing, and the product itself protects your skin from the sun and any damage.
It feels comfortable to wear all day and is lightweight, hides all imperfections (pores, blemishes, lines), and glides on smoothly with a velvety finishing texture.
When you’re in the mood for a no-fuss product that won’t create all of the typical hassles and irritations of many competitor foundations on the market, Tarte’s Amazonian Clay Foundation is a perfect choice.
I would also give this product extra brownie points for those who are fans of vegan and/or gluten-free cosmetics brands, and those with normal-oily complexions.