Having tried almost every foundation product, style, and formulation available at different prices with mixed results, I was initially skeptical in reading about a drugstore fan-favorite, and favorite to makeup artists for affordability verses efficacy. Would it compare to other products on the market at 5-10 times the cost? Was a full-face of drugstore purchased makeup for under $20 clever, or clownish? Would my skin break out immediately? Skepticism could never prevent a fair test-trial. So I decided to try the under 20 challenge, and purchase L’Oreal’s Pro-Matte foundation (for $10) to see if it was worth the hype or not.
I was pleasantly surprised by the coverage, hold, and overall results with consistent product application. While it did not necessarily compare to other brands I’ve tried and have a personal preference for (i.e. Sephora type brands), it certainly did the job well, had a very long hold, and the color-match was pretty solid (albeit this took a couple tries with the lack of swatch/tester ability at the drugstore). An oil-free matte-finish formulation means the product never looks sticky or shiny on the face but surprisingly still provides excellent hydration. Anti-shine technology and a demi-matte formula resists sweat, heat, and humidity, while still providing a buildable medium-coverage. Formulated with a high water content, the offering is also lightweight and breathable, making it suitably comfortable for all-day coverage for up to 24 hours. I found this to be the best foundation I have tried at its price point by far, and it’s a champion for drugstore brands (with other products typically providing uneven coverage, no hold, and ingredients that irritate the skin quite easily). This foundation is a great option when seeking an affordable matte foundation product with effectiveness, natural color, and long-wear staying power.
At a brief glance, L’Oréal’s Infallible Pro-Matte Foundation is recognized for being:
- Easy to use, in a variety of shades with all natural color ranges
- Suitable for all skin types and sensitive skin
- Liquid texture with medium-coverage and a matte finish
- Oil-free formulation that feels highly breathable on the skin
- Suitable for dry skin, hydrates while providing coverage
- Tube container for easy daily application with a brush, beauty blender or the hands
- Natural undertone colors
- Hold that can withstand heat, exercise, sweat and daily activities
- The global brands most popular SKU
Behind the Brand
For over a century, L’Oréal has been dedicated to affordable products and makeup with actual efficacy, and devoted their core competencies to beauty. They remain committed to an ethical and sustainable approach of beauty services and products and are a famed global brand. They also provide high-quality but accessible beauty product for all demographics, skin types, and concerns. There is a strong driving force of inclusivity and cultural diversity behind the brand. The company is very philanthropic by nature and celebrates an annual “citizen’s day,” where employees dedicate time and help to hundreds of varying non-profit organizations as well as environmental sustainability efforts. Their matte finish liquid foundation has created quite a buzz, and is well know for attracting new customers who haven’t previously frequented the brand.
Positives and Negatives
- Creamy, lightweight, and hydrating with a demi-matte finish, skin is left appearing smooth, even and dewy without any shine
- No orange tints or undesirable undertones, color appears natural
- Very close color-matches, wide range of selection
- Does not irritate or dry out the skin
- Great hold, up to 24 hours and sweat/water-resistant (while still maintaining breathable texture)
- Product feels extremely comfortable on the skin
- Recommended and held in high-esteem by beauty bloggers, makeup artists, and makeup experts as the leading (affordable) foundation
- Medium coverage that is highly buildable
- Does not cling or hold to dry patches on the skin
- Suitable for dry and oily skin types
- Does not cause breakouts, skin irritation or any redness, unlike many direct competitor products
- Product has a faint odor of alcohol
- While it comes at a great price, users of expensive or organic foundations should not expect to see exactly the same results with use of any drugstore formulation (in general, brand-to-brand comparison is highly variable)
- Some customers dislike the matte-based formula
- No SPF in product
- Customers seeking a very lightweight formula should opt for a tinted moisturizer, as this is a medium-coverage liquid foundation product
If you are in any way dissatisfied with the product or its ingredients, L’Oreal offers a full money-back guarantee for the entire purchase price. The same policy exists if any redness, irritation, allergy, or general skin reaction occurs. First-time users of the product may have concerns alleviated by this policy, especially as it can be difficult to gauge the most suitable shade for first-time application. If you purchase the wrong shade, you can easily exchange the product even if it has been opened. It’s important to denote typically when selecting a shade, if uncertain, you should usually select one color darker- rather than one color potentially too light.
The Final Verdict
L’Oréal offers a well-rounded and effective product in there demi-matte finish liquid foundation, and attracts a diverse clientele of all backgrounds and skin types. The product is unlike it’s price competitors in that is does not cause irritation to the skin, barring a particular allergy, and remains gentle but effective with a 24-hour hold. I was extremely surprised, and pleasantly so, to learn that this did not feel or look like a typical drugstore beauty product, particularly when springing for a foundation staple-product. I would certainly recommend the product if you’re seeking a medium coverage buildable liquid foundation at a moderate price point. The brand and this product specifically have passed the test of time and countless popularity polls. It is held in high-esteem by professionals who have identified it as perhaps the most affordable foundation that is actually effective and natural-looking on the market. The best part was the lack of any orange pigments or off-color undertones, perhaps my number one fear in trying the challenge. It also is very safe for the skin, did not cause any breakouts, and felt both comfortable and breathable (even during the summer)!