Sunday Riley’s Luna Oil is a Retinol Sleeping Oil famed for being stronger than a typical retinol containing product, yet still safe enough to use on sensitive skin.
How exactly does that work? Retinol ingredients tend to bind more closely to oil products than they do serums or creams, and work more effectively, yet it is is not made with traditional retinol.
Instead, Luna Oil contains a healthier ingredient that most closely mimics the power and chemical structure of retinoids and combines this with chamomile and soothing natural oils, creating a product that is equal parts effective in anti-aging and gentle enough to be used by those of any skin type (even sensitive and acne-prone).
As someone with fairly sensitive skin, I was still fairly cautious about leaving any retinoid product on my face overnight, but in reading through the “miracle reviews,” Sunday Riley’s Luna Oil was a sleeping night oil I had high hopes for.
So how does it live up to its hype and can it be used effectively and gently?
We reviewed to find out first so you wouldn’t have to.
Review: Sunday Riley Luna Oil
Sunday Riley’s Luna Sleeping Night Oil is a .5oz retinol oil designed to soften and anti-age your skin at the same time, all while being gentle enough for even those who are sensitive to use it safely.
Before we begin, make sure you’re ordering Sunday Riley from a legitimate retailer, NOT from a counterfeit seller. For your convenience, here is the Amazon link to an authentic Sunday Riley retailer.
You begin by applying it at night to clean skin and the blue colored oil turns clear when massaged into your skin, it’s important to use this only as a PM treatment and to use a small amount. Also, if you have never used retinoid products in the past, it may be advisable to begin by leaving it on for a shorter period than overnight and washing off before an entire evening of use.
The first few times I tried out Luna Oil, I started with a few treatments for a couple hours at a time and washed it off, and experienced softer skin with no irritation or reactions and some brightening benefits.
When I tried it as a an overnight sleeping mask, I woke up to visibly more radiant, refreshed, even, and even younger looking skin (overnight). The results were pretty incredibly, and my skin was very soft and smooth, without feeling flaky or dry at all, like you might feel using a typical retinoid product.
Sunday Riley’s Luna Sleeping Night Oil has to go down as one of the best skincare products with the fastest results I have yet to try, and I was amazed to be able to use it even with sensitive skin and not wake up to a hot burning face in the AM, a worst nightmare (and I was prepared with heavy makeup and creams).
So when you’re on the hunt for softer and more radiant skin, and a retinoid product that works even if you’re sensitive, Sunday Riley’s Luna Oil is one of our top picks.
Sunday Riley Luna Oil Ingredients & Benefits
Luna Oil combines gentle oils with a mix of retinoids to provide the strongest combination of balance, hydration, and anti-aging benefits possible. It’s also generally considered safe, even for those with sensitive and acne-prone skin types.
Here are a look at some of the key ingredients in Sunday Riley’s Luna Oil and their benefits with use on the skin:
Trans-retinoic Acid Ester (Retinoids)
- While not a typical Retinoid (and not as harsh on the skin), this ingredient still supports healthy skin turnover using the power of retinoids, deeply exfoliates the skin to speed up the cellular turnover process, and provides advanced anti-aging benefits including minimizing the appearance of fine lines, wrinkles, sun damage, sun spots, hyper-pigmentation, and helps treats signs of acne scarring
- Detoxifies and clarifies the skin- helps in treating clogged pores via antiseptic properties, gets rid of dirt, oil, blackheads, and tightens pores
- Heals skincare wounds and any infections on the skin
- Anti-inflammatory properties help in treating any irritation, redness, or damage to the skin, soothing and calming
- Preventative anti-aging benefits: antioxidant benefits help protect the skin from the effects of free radical damage
- For dry skin: hydrates and restores any lost hydration
- Helps lighten and treat scarring, particularly acne marks
- May help in the treatment of certain topical conditions, particularly eczema
- Anti-acne benefits: helps treat acne breakouts and helps prevent new breakouts from forming
Cold Pressed Avocado Oil
- For dry skin types: helps to moisturize, repair, and restore hydration to the skin
- Anti-inflammatory benefits: helps to calm and balance, and may soothe red, itchy or irritated skin, supports overall skin health (rich in electrolytes)
- Heals and repairs damaged or chapped skin tissue, as well as sunburned skin
- Anti-aging benefits: helps treat signs of fine lines, wrinkles, sun damage, and sun spots
- May help treating small wounds and scar tissue
- Preventative anti-aging benefits: shields the skin from UVA radiation, may act as a natural sunscreen and help in preventative anti-aging and fighting the effects of sun damage
- Anti-acne benefits: helps fight breakouts and the bacteria that causes new blemishes to form
- Treats acne scarring, pigmentation and sun spots
Grape Seed Oil
- Anti-acne benefits: acts as a natural antiseptic to prevent acne causing bacteria and treat existing acne, while preventing the formation of new breakouts and blemishes
- Helps improve a multitude of skincare concerns and conditions, including acne, stretch marks, scarring, eczema, psoriasis, and even cellulite
- Vitamins A, C, and E are natural antioxidants contained in grapefruit seed oil, and great for skin overall skin health and aesthetic, to promote overall vibrance and skin health
- Helps to moisturize dry or dehydrated skin
- May kill various strains of fungi and bacteria on the skin, for the treatment of minor topical irritation
- Works as a suitable antimicrobial agent detoxifying, leaving the skin clean and fresh following use with no residue left behind
Sunday Riley Luna Oil Pros & Cons
Overall, Sunday Riley’s Luna Oil was probably the most impressive overnight oil and retinoid product I have tried and my skin looked more vibrant, glowing, and radiant than ever after use in a very short amount of time. I was also very impressed that I did not breakout or have any reactions to Luna Oil, and how effective it was in making my skin look completely different basically overnight. Other than the price point, there are hardly any downsides unless you have a specific allergy or reaction to this product.
With that in mind, here are a look at some main pros and cons to bear in mind prior to purchase with Sunday Riley’s Luna Sleeping Night Oil:
- Immediately makes the skin look healthier, dewy, brighter, and leaves you with a refreshing glow in the morning after use
- Cruelty-free company-company does not test any of its products on any animals, use any animal product during any manufacturing processes, or during any product formulations
- Safe for all skin types, including sensitive and acne-prone (although with the use of any retinoid containing product, you should always spot test first, as break outs are always a possibility for very sensitive types)
- Sunday Riley’s Luna Oil is stronger than a typical retinol cream or serum (yet still gentle) because oil binds more strongly and is more effective with oil itself
- Advanced anti-aging benefits: helps to treat signs of fine lines, wrinkles, loss of elasticity, sun damage, and sun spots
- Helps to hydrate the skin, improve signs of dull and sallow skin, and fully restore radiance to the skin for a soft, dewy glow
- Works very quickly in comparison to most skincare treatment products- results can be seen after using only one or two treatments, and my skin looked softer, brighter, more even, and radiant after using it only a few times
- Helps in minimizing the appearance of pore size, even with very large pores, especially around the t-zone and nasal areas and cheeks
- Made with all natural oils and free of any parabens, sulfates, or harmful additives or fillers that can breakout the skin or be toxic over time
- Very calming to the skin, feels nourishing, balancing, and balances out tone and texture and calm redness
- Even with the retinoid containing ingredients, the oil properties help to hydrate so it doesn’t create any peeling, drying, or flaking after use
- Luna Oil has a lovely fresh scent on the skin that feels luxurious to apply and lingers
- Most users with sensitive skin reported still being able to use Sunday Riley’s Luna Oil without any issues, however a few still reported breakouts or reactions (with any retinoid containing products it is important to spot test first, and this can also be used as a wash off treatment rather than left on all night)
- Price point: while this is one of the best oil treatments and anti-aging products I’ve tried, especially for those with sensitive skins looking for retinoid products and advanced solutions, it isn’t cheap, however, there is no need to overuse this or use it on a nightly basis (although some users do)
- Product is not safe to use during pregnancy (due to retinoids) and should only be used at night, ideally with an SPF product during the daytime
Sunday Riley’s Money-Back Guarantee-Policy
If you have very sensitive or acne-prone skin (or price barriers are a concern given this item’s cost for you) or have not used Sunday Riley skincare products or retinoids in the past, the return and exchange policy in this case may be a highly important factor for you.
The manufacturer, Sunday Riley, has a strong return and exchange policy that honors full refunds upon dissatisfaction or allergy, and this policy favors the consumer, both new and returning.
If you are dissatisfied with the use of Sunday Riley’s Luna Oil, or if it does not work for your skin to provide suitable hydrating, anti-aging, and general skincare benefits, or you experience any product allergy or reaction to the formulation, you may elect to return it at any time.
In this case, you will receive a full refund equal to the entire purchase price of the item, if purchased via Amazon (it can’t be guaranteed to apply to individual stores or merchants).
In this case, the formulation of Luna Oil was gentle enough to use even with very sensitive and acne-prone skin and did not cause any irritation or breakouts, but spot-testing is always recommended with any skincare product, especially as any retinoid containing products can trigger very sensitive skin- even if they are gentler than traditional retinol.
Sunday Riley Luna Oil: Worth It For Its Price?
While Sunday Riley’s Luna Oil is a bit of a splurge, it definitely does not have to be used as an everyday nighty treatment, depending on your preferences, you may even opt to use this once a week, or up to 3 times a week (some users do use it every evening).
But after using Luna Oil, you do wake up to skin that is clear, vibrant, radiant, and refreshed, and the best part about it is probably how quickly it works and how rapid the effects are on your skin.
Not only is it brightening and hydrating, the soft and dewy glow of using the oil combined with the anti-aging effects of the retinoid ingredient work together to really give you the best skin possible.
Using this oil I was really impressed as my skin had never looked healthier, and was hydrated for the first time (and it was also gentle) to actually use a retinoid product even with sensitive skin.
For those of us in need of great hydration, anti-aging benefits, and when you’re looking for a retinoid treatment free of any harsh peeling, drying, or burning effects, I would highly suggest Sunday Riley’s Luna Sleeping Night Oil!