After reviewing TATCHA’s bestsellers collection and a few other products from the brand, I was not pleased to find the classic formulation of the rice enzyme powder (a powder that foams when water is added and cleanses the skin) made my face quite red and irritated.
While the traditional formulation is supposedly suitable for all skin types, I would not recommend it if you’re sensitive or prone to any redness. I wanted to test out the Rice Enzyme Powder in the gentle formulation to see if the experience would be better, if there would be any benefits to use, and if it would work for sensitive skin.
I often test out the brands products, and although they are usually fairly pricey, I find they tend to last quite a long time and require minimal product use. I also really enjoy the company mission and the brand story, as a portion of all proceeds (for every product) are donated to charitable causes, primarily helping girls in different countries learn to read, with the idea in mind that literacy can help alleviate poverty by promoting more employment opportunities.
It’s rare to find a company that contributes a portion of proceeds on every SKU, as typically only certain products or seasonal/special items are contributed when a company pairs with a charitable cause. In addition to this, the products are also naturally formulated with proprietary blends of fresh ingredients, and are free of any parabens, sulfates, or irritating chemical additives.
This review will cover some main product features, ingredients and corresponding benefits with continual topical use, as well as some positives and negatives to bear in mind prior to purchase.
TATCHA Rice Enzyme Powder Review & Features
The Rice Enzyme Powder (in the gentle formula) is a pink powder that combines with water and foams up, creating a rich lather that’s both cleansing and exfoliating. I was very pleased to discover the product was definitely suitable for sensitive skin, and did not create any redness, reaction, or cause any breakouts.
It’s gentle enough to use daily, and skin is always left feeling hydrated rather than dry. I found it treated dull skin quite well, as skin appears much brighter and radiant after using it. It cleanses well enough to remove makeup, including eye makeup and mascara, and seems to eliminate the need for a toner, or eliminate the need for a weekly scrub, which may be harsh or drying to the skin.
Those who don’t have resilient enough skin to use the traditional formulation will be pleased to find this one is nourishing and calming, and barring any allergy, is quite safe if you do have sensitivities or tend to have reactive skin. It’s definitely great for dry skin as well, as it replenishes depleted hydration quite well. I would highly recommend this product if you’re seeking a cleanser with multi-use benefits for sensitive skin, or dry skin, and are seeking to try a powder-based product that foams up to lather with the addition of water.
Skin always feels calmed and restored after using the rice enzyme powder, and I definitely notice visible benefits. I’m pleased that the company created a gentler version of the classic Enzyme Powder formulation, as it’s now available to a broader audience who can enjoy the product without any reactivity fears.
TATCHA Rice Enzyme Powder Ingredients
Especially as someone with sensitive skin that tends to be reactive, I always read ingredients in products as I would a food label, to avoid experiencing any allergies to ingredients I have in the past, and to discover the corresponding skin benefits with ongoing topical application. In addition to these ingredients (found in the highest quantity in the product), the powder also contains Japanese Rice Bran to soften and exfoliate, Rice and Papaya Enzymes (Papain) to treat dead skin, and Pearl, to hydrate with amino acids. Here is a look at some key product ingredients in the formulation, as well as skin benefits with use:
Licorice Root Extract
- Helps in the treatment of skin conditions, such as psoriasis and eczema, making this a safe ingredient for very sensitive skin and those with topical conditions
- Heals irritations, blemished, and fights topical infections
- Helps to tighten and firm the skin without creating any dryness or pulling sensations
- Anti-aging benefits: helps address signs of aging such as fine lines, wrinkles, and hyper-pigmentation
- Helps restore radiance and a dewy glow, treating dull or sallow skin
- Helps fight environmental damage and sun damage by creating a protective barrier on the skin, preventing future damage while treating preexisting signs of damage
- Helps treat acne scarring, any scar marks, prevents new scar tissue formation, fights the bacteria that causes breakouts without stripping the skin
- B2 contained in green tea in high quantities helps and maintains structure and firmness to the skin, anti-aging properties including minimizing the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles
- Vitamin E (also contained in the ingredient) supports skin cell growth and expedites cellular turnover while hydrating the skin, providing moisture benefits for all skin types, even very dry skin, restoring radiance, and adding smoothness
- Helps maintain soft skin, that’s more even in tone and texture
- Fights skin cancer by promoting DNA repair and cellular turnover, prevents against future damage
- Protects against free radical damage in the environment
- Fights any preexisting DNA damage caused by sun damage (UVB rays-ones that cause burns and damage to the dermis)
- Antibacterial agent that treats and prevents acne and breakouts, prevents the formation of new acne blemishes and acne-causing bacteria
- Packed with nutrients and minerals that benefit overall skin health, help restore skin health, and help maintain glow and a more radiant aesthetic
- Helps in detoxifying pores and removing any dead skin or buildup
- Gentle ingredient that’s typically very suitable for sensitive skin
- Helps in removing dirt, oil, and buildup on the surface of the skin
- Hydrates, softens, detoxifies while providing suitable hydration benefits
- Replenishes vitamins and minerals to the skin, good for the health and aesthetic
- Anti-aging ingredient that helps minimize the appearance of sun damage, lines, and wrinkles, and advanced aging signs like hyper-pigmentation with continual daily use over time
- Protects the skin from UVB rays, which cause sun burn and damage to the skin, including eventually causing hyper-pigmentation
- Helps in brightening, hydrating, and restoring radiance
- Helps combat bacteria, dead skin build up, and fights any irritation on the skin
- Helps reduce blemishes and acne, as well as fighting acne causing bacteria which leads to new breakouts
- Contains flavonoid compounds and natural antioxidants
Tatcha Rice Enzyme Powder Positives and Negatives
- The product is definitely suitable for sensitive skin, and did not cause any breakouts, redness, or irritation with use
- It feels quite clean and refreshing, and skin is deeply cleansed without any dryness or tightness after application
- A small amount of powder creates a rich lather and only a small amount of product is required for use, helping add value and product longevity
- Suitable and safe for all skin types, including oily or dry
- Cruelty-free company: product was not tested on any animals, and no animal product is used in the formulation or during the manufacturing process
- Skin appears more radiant and brighter following use, definitely acts as a treatment for dull or sallow skin
- Tone is more even following use, and skin feels soft yet firm
- Anti-aging benefits: product helps in treating fine lines, wrinkles, and other signs of aging, but is best used in conjunction with an anti-aging cream or serum as well
- After use, serums and creams seem more absorbing on the skin
- Scent is pleasant and mild
- Gently exfoliates the skin while cleansing
- All makeup is removed after use, including eyeliner and mascara
- Skin seems more hydrated and softer, and seems ideal for dry skin, but also helps restore balance for those with combination or oily complexions
- Price: as with most products from the brand, it is costly, however the benefits with continual daily use are high, and minimal product is required, so the product lasts for quite some time
The manufacturer, TATCHA, has a strong return and exchange policy that honors full refunds upon dissatisfaction or allergy, and this policy favors the consumer, both new to the brand, and returning. If you are dissatisfied with the use of the rice enzyme powder, or if it does not work for your skin to provide suitable hydrating benefits, or you experience any product allergy or reaction to the formulation, you may elect to return it at any time. In this case, you will receive a full refund equal to the entire purchase price of the item. If the item was received as a gift (without receipt), the policy applies for an even exchange, and this policy is applicable to online purchase, as individual store policy may vary depending on location and distributer.
I was happy to discover that the formulation was gentle enough to use even with very sensitive skin, and is designed to treat sensitive skin, however allergy is always possible.
Tatcha Rice Enzyme Powder: The Final Verdict
I would definitely recommend Tatcha’s Rice Enzyme Powder in the gentle formulation to those with dry or sensitive skin who are seeking options for multi-use cleansers and exfoliators that help replenish any depleted hydration, rather than causing any dryness or tightness after use.
The product is definitely safe for sensitive skin, and I was happy to find it did not cause any negative skin reaction, breakouts, redness, or irritation, as the original formulation did. If you like powder based cleansers that foam into rich lathers with the addition of water, or are looking to restore radiance or brighten the skin, this is also a great option. The exfoliation is quite gentle, and the product feels equal parts soothing and refreshing.
The additional benefits I found with using the product were overall improvements in skin clarity and health, a decrease in the appearance of pore size, and the removal of dead skin. I noticed I was breaking out less as well, but am uncertain if I can attribute that fully to this product. It certainly did not cause any buildup or blemishes, and feels lightweight, without ever feeling sticky or greasy on the skin. During use, you may find you can eliminate the need for a toner and/or weekly scrub product, and may find serums and creams are more absorbing if used after finishing application.
I would recommend this for anyone sensitive and in need of a multi-use wash, and while it does not come cheap, it really lasts quite a long time, as minimal product is required to wash the entire face.