After a strong recommendation from a friend in the cosmetics industry, I decided to try out Valjean Labs’ Facial Serum (in its most popular formulation, “glow”).
I’ll admit, at first, I was skeptical, especially because Glow Serum is so low priced compared to it’s competitors.
Just like you, I spent some time reading various online reviews before buying it myself.
The serum also comes in different formulations- including “firm,” “hydrate,” “clarify” and “restore,” but for the purposes of review and as bestseller, I opted for the “glow” serum.
The Glow Serum is packed with essential nutrients and extremely lightweight in texture, and it absorbs into the skin quite rapidly following application, particularly if used after a suitable cleanser or toning product.
Valjean Labs Facial Serum be used as an anti-aging serum and a preventative treatment, and also tends to improve signs of overall radiance, skin health, brightness, and glow.
This review will cover some main product features, some pros and cons to bear in mind prior to purchase, a look at some key ingredients contained in the formulation and their benefits with use.
Does it work or is it hype? We reviewed first and tested it out so you wouldn’t have to.
Review: Valjean Labs Facial Serum
Valjean Labs’ Facial Serum in “Glow” is a 1.83 ounce product designed to be used after a cleanser and/or toner, and followed by a cream or moisturizer if desired.
The serum is incredibly lightweight and gentle, suitable for all skin types (including sensitive and acne-prone), and designed to brighten the skin, promote a soft and radiant glow, and provide anti-aging benefits (preventative and retroactive).
At first the serum feels a tiny bit sticky to apply, but it soaks into the skin immediately and is extremely absorbing, so it never feels greasy or heavy on the skin, and the sticky feeling dissipates instantly.
It’s lovely to use at night before bed, mix with a cream, or use prior to a makeup application as you would a primer for a more radiant finish following application.
Rich in both Vitamin C and Magnesium, the serum is suitable for all skin types, including sensitive and acne-prone, and works to brighten your skin, promote a more even tone and texture, restore radiance if there is any sallowness or dull skin, and protect against all of the signs of aging by creating a suitable barrier on the surface level of the skin to prevent UVA/UVB and environmental damage.
The Valjean Labs Facial serum is also free of any parabens, harsh chemical odors, fragrance, or binding agents that can be potentially harmful to the skin.
After testing it out, I would say it is definitely worthy of the hype in comparison to its price point (and in general), and the ingredients in its formulation are lovely.
There are not many other products, if any, you can find that provide this level of efficacy with use at this price range.
At only $12, Valjean Labs Glow Serum is definitely one of the best skincare treatments at its price point I have tried to date and results are visible- with improvements including a brightened complexion, more even tone and texture, a soft glow and dewy aesthetic, as well as an overall appearance of restored and balanced hydration.
In our featured video for our review, supermodel Sanne Vloet discusses her daily skin regimen, where she uses the Valjean Labs Facial Serum in “Hydrate” religiously every evening despite her limit-free budget (*video credit to Youtube channel-Sanne Vloet*).
Valjean Labs Facial Serum: Ingredients
For those with very sensitive or acne prone skin types, we may be cautious about using any skincare products (which is completely fair, given prior experiences or negative reactions with serums or skincare products).
So for many of us, understanding the ingredients contained in the formulations of products can be as important as understanding the ingredients contained in foods we eat or checking labels in grocery stores or when using meal delivery service options.
With that in mind, here are some key ingredients contained in Valjean Labs Facial Serum (in “Glow”) and corresponding benefits with everyday topical use:
- For those with dry skin: helps maintain moisture skin and helps restore any depleted hydration
- Helps to improve skin luminosity and brightens the complexion in those with dull or sallow skin types
- Helps to reduce redness, irritation, topical irritation, and provides calming and nourishing benefits
- Anti-acne benefits: helps in treating and preventing breakouts and the bacteria that cause new breakouts to form on the skin
- Protects against free radical damage and creates a suitable barrier on the skin to protect against environmental and sun damage, preventing new damage and assisting with preventative anti-aging
- Anti-aging benefits: helps skin maintain its natural elasticity, for a more plumped and youthful finishing aesthetic following application
- Anti-aging benefits: antioxidant-rich vitamin C helps boost collagen production and elasticity, diminishing the appearance of any wrinkles or fine lines
- Natural anti-inflammatory benefits: helps to expedite healing rates, great for treating redness, soothing topical abrasions, and any skin irritation
- Safe and suitable for all skin types, including acne-prone skin, may offer benefits including decreasing breakouts and preventing acne-causing bacteria
- Treats signs of sallowness or dullness on the skin and improves and restores radiance, leaving skin hydrated and glowing
- Brightens the skin naturally and reduces signs of uneven tone and discoloration, promoting an even and smooth overall tone for an even aesthetic after application, with longterm continual daily use helps in decreasing signs of hyper-pigmentation
- Helps heal sunburns and promotes skin repair after exposure to UVA/B radiation, acts as a natural sun protective factor to help heal future damage as well (preventative care)
- Improves hydration and moisture, helps bind moisture into the skin and restores any depleted hydration, promoting a smoother aesthetic
- Works in tandem with the magnesium in the formulation to support overall skin health and restore vibrance and radiance
- Helps to prep the skin prior to makeup application and deliver the most radiant finishing aesthetic with a smooth and vibrant glow, if used as a primer
- Helps promote balance, and more even tone and texture
Valjean Labs Facial Serum: Pros and Cons
Here are some key pros and cons to bear in mind prior to purchase with Valjean Labs Facial Serum:
- Safe and suitable for all skin types, including sensitive and acne-prone skin, with a very gentle formulation
- Incredibly lightweight formulation that still proves hydrating and never leaves the face feeling greasy or leaves any residue behind
- Even with sensitive and acne-prone skin, I did not experience any topical irritation, redness, or breakouts following the use of the product
- Cruelty-free company: Valjean Labs does not test on any animals, does not use any animal product in its formulations, and does not use any animal product during manufacturing processes
- The serum leaves the skin looking fresh, radiant, soft, smooth, and fully hydrated
- Over time and with continual daily use, the product offers both preventative and retroactive anti-aging benefits
- At only $12, Valjean Labs Facial Serum is the best I have tried to date within this price range that offers visible benefits with use
- The product is free of any parabens, sulfates, odor-free, and devoid of any harsh chemical additives
- Suitable for those of different age ranges- ideal for preventative benefits in younger consumers and also suitable for more mature consumers
- For those with dull skin: the “Glow” formulation is ideal for restoring radiance and improving vibrance, while leaving the skin feeling “baby soft” following use
- Can be combined with a foundation product or makeup item to extend the product duration or smoothen application, especially with matte finish products that cling to dry patches
- The only downside I felt in using this product was it felt a tiny bit sticky upon application, however it is extremely absorbing and rapidly glides on to the skin, without leaving a sticky sensation on the face or any sense of grease/heaviness
Valjean Labs Money-Back Guarantee
Especially if you are new to the Valjean Labs, the return policy in this case may be a highly important factor for you.
The manufacturer, Valjean Labs, has a strong return and exchange policy that honors full refunds upon dissatisfaction or allergy, and this policy favors the consumer, both new and returning. If you are dissatisfied with the use of the serum, or if it does not work for your skin to provide suitable hydrating or general skincare benefits, or you experience any product allergy or reaction to the formulation, you may elect to return it at any time. In this case, you will receive a full refund equal to the entire purchase price of the item.
If the item was received as a gift (without receipt), the policy applies for an even exchange, and this policy is applicable to online purchase, as individual store policy may vary depending on location and distributer.
If you feel the policy if not taken into consideration, you may contact customer service, and you can remain ensured you will receive a full refund.
I was happy to discover that the formulation was gentle enough to use even with very sensitive skin and did not cause any breakouts, but due any additional sensitivity concerns this policy may help assuage fears, as individual allergies are highly variable. While I felt compared to the longevity and benefits this was a worthy and low cost purchase, this is a highly individual choice, and only one you as a consumer can decide on.
Valjean Labs Facial Serum: Worth It Winner?
If you are on the hunt for an inexpensive facial serum that provides actual results following use, brightens and evens out the complexion, and leaves the skin with a glowing and radiant finishing aesthetic, I would definitely recommend Valjean Labs Facial Serum in “Glow”.
It is by far the best serum at its price point I have tried to date that actually offers visible results with use, employs clean and natural ingredients in its formulation, and is suitable and gentle enough for all skin types- even those with very sensitive skin (excluding any specific allergies).
Instead of spending your money on an overpriced topical serum with the same ingredients, I would strongly recommend the Glow Serum as an alternative, as it is packed with Vitamin C and nutrients akin to “skin food” and works just as well as more expensive competitor products on the market.
My only surprise, pleasantly, with this product, is it does not cost more (aren’t we usually left feeling the opposite with topical treatments?)
Overall, highly recommended!