Without so many serums on the market it seems impossible to differentiate between all of the different options, but with Ole Henriksen’s Truth Serum, one of the most popular formulations available in the industry, this item is a truly different and effective.
Are you looking to treat advanced signs of fine lines and wrinkles?
Looking to address sun damage and dark spots?
Looking to fight signs of hyperpigmentation?
If you want to do to this all in one go like the rest of us, Ole Henriksen’s Truth Serum may be your new best friend.
With advanced retroactive anti-aging benefits, the product is formulated for all skin types (including sensitive and acne-prone), and packed with Vitamin C for brightening benefits and helps treat the appearance of fine lines, wrinkles, hyperpigmentation, loss of elasticity, sun damage, dark spots, and deeper set lines.
The serum is also a suitable solution for the treatment of dryness, uneven tone and texture, lack of clarity, and loss of firmness and elasticity. It acts like a “multivitamin” for the skin, by delivering collagen and natural antioxidants to both fight existing damage and prevent further progression of signs of damage to the skin.
This review will cover some main product features, some positives and negatives to bear in mind prior to purchase, some key ingredients contained in the product formulation and corresponding benefits with daily topical use, and a final verdict, to help you make a more informed purchasing choice prior to any point of sale.
Review: Ole Henriksen’s Truth Serum
The Truth Serum (1 ounce bottle) is a pioneer in Vitamin C treatment serums, with a potent antioxidant based formulation to support natural collagen production and enhance the overall aesthetic and vibrance of the skin, in addition to providing advanced anti-aging benefits (both preventative and retroactive).
Formulated without the use of any harsh chemical binding agents, parabens, or sulfates, the oil-free formula is also lightweight but highly absorbing and contains orange and green tea extracts, giving the product a lovely fresh citrus scent with a silky texture that leaves the skin soft with a glowing and radiant finishing aesthetic following use.
This is an ideal daily serum for AM and PM use that helps to brighten, tone, restore radiance, and help with any of the signs of aging on the skin, this is a great daily go-to formulation, with clean ingredients that are gentle and nourishing but provide actual efficacy with use.
It smells of fresh citrus but is devoid of any harsh perfume like or chemical type odors, and the texture is silky and velvety. It is oil-free and quite lightweight, absorbs well, but is also extremely hydrating to restore any depleted moisture for those with dry skin types.
The product never feels greasy, sticky, or heavy on the skin, and following a couple weeks of everyday topical use there are visible improvements including a restored vibrance and glow, softened skin (that is still firmer), and visible improvements in fine lines and wrinkles.
For those seeking actual anti-aging benefits, and for those interested in fighting signs of hyperpigmentation, this is a perfect treatment that I would recommend above any other serum in its category (for the aforementioned concerned).
For those experiencing hyperpigmentation issues and concerns, this serum can visibly correct and combat concerns quite quickly (within a few weeks of daily topical use), and users often swear by the formulation for this purpose alone.
When you’re on the market for an anti-aging serum that provides advanced brightening benefits and works to correct pigmentation issues, I would definitely recommend this as a daily topical treatment and the use of Ole Henriksen’s skincare products in general.
The final result is a visibly more youthful appearance.
The Truth Serum: How Do I Use It?
Following and cleanser and/or toner, apply evenly to the face and neck (can be used as an AM and PM treatment), and let absorb on to the face. If desired, follow with a moisturizer or cream of your choice.
Take precaution in avoiding direct contact with the eye area and wash immediately if contact accidentally occurs.
Ole Henriksen’s Truth Serum Ingredients
For those of us with highly sensitive skin or acne-prone skin types, or simply those in search of clean formulations for topical products that are actually effective, checking the ingredient labels on foods we consume can be just as important as reading labels on foods we consume or from grocery stores/meal delivery subscription services. It’s important to realize what you are applying topically will be absorbed into the body and denote any specific allergens.
With that in mind, here are a list of some key ingredients and some corresponding benefits with everyday topical use:
- Orange extract has numerous benefits to support skin health and improve the overall aesthetic and improve radiance and luminosity
- For those with oily or combination skin: helps to restore and provide balance to the skin naturally and return natural oil production
- Anti-acne benefits: helps prevent acne and acne-causing bacteria, including helping to prevent future breakouts and blemishes
- Anti-aging benefits: helps to minimize the appearance of aging concerns such as fine lines, wrinkles, signs of hyperpigmentation, loss of elasticity, and sun spots
- Helps reduce the appearance of scar tissue, acne scarring, and skin discoloration
- For those with dull or sallow skin, helps to brightens skin, delivering a glowy, dewy aesthetic
- Helpful in evening out overall tone of the skin, if you’re experiencing any unevenness or lack of balance in texture
- Has refreshing, toning properties to the skin when applied topically
- Can help in preventing or treating skin infection or minor irritation
- Promotes new skin cell growth and improved cellular turnover speed
- Hydrates the skin for those who are dry: delivers moisture to the skin that is locked in, helps hydrate very dry skin and seal in moisture with a long hold
Green Tea Extract
- B2 contained in green tea in high quantities helps and maintains structure and firmness to the skin, anti-aging properties including minimizing the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles
- Vitamin E (also contained in the ingredient) supports skin cell growth and expedites cellular turnover while hydrating the skin, providing moisture benefits for all skin types, even very dry skin, restoring radiance, and adding smoothness
- Helps maintain soft skin, that’s more even in tone and texture
- Fights skin cancer by promoting DNA repair and cellular turnover, prevents against future damage
- Protects against free radical damage in the environment
- Fights any preexisting DNA damage caused by sun damage (UVB rays-ones that cause burns and damage to the dermis)
- Antibacterial agent that treats and prevents acne and breakouts, prevents the formation of new acne blemishes and acne-causing bacteria
- Anti-aging benefits: antioxidant-rich vitamin C helps boost collagen production and elasticity, diminishing the appearance of any wrinkles or fine lines
- Natural anti-inflammatory benefits: helps to expedite healing rates, great for treating redness, soothing topical abrasions, and any skin irritation
- Safe and suitable for all skin types, including acne-prone skin, may offer benefits including decreasing breakouts and preventing acne-causing bacteria
- Treats signs of sallowness or dullness on the skin and improves and restores radiance, leaving skin hydrated and glowing
- Brightens the skin naturally and reduces signs of uneven tone and discoloration, promoting an even and smooth overall tone for an even aesthetic after application, with longterm continual daily use helps in decreasing signs of hyper-pigmentation
- Helps heal sunburns and promotes skin repair after exposure to UVA/B radiation, acts as a natural sun protective factor to help heal future damage as well (preventative care)
- Improves hydration and moisture, helps bind moisture into the skin and restores any depleted hydration, promoting a smoother aesthetic
- Works in tandem with the magnesium in the formulation to support overall skin health and restore vibrance and radiance
- Helps to prep the skin prior to makeup application and deliver the most radiant finishing aesthetic with a smooth and vibrant glow, if used as a primer
- Helps promote balance, and more even tone and texture
- Anti-aging properties and benefits (for preventative concerns); aloe contains beta carotene, vitamin C and E that can help improve the skin’s natural firmness and improve elasticity
- Helps diminish the appearance of burned skin, soothes sunburns
- Anti-inflammatory properties promote healing and soothing to the skin
- Fights acne and bacteria that causes acne and new blemishes from forming
- Effective healing properties to the skin, helps repair and nurture tissue, helps treat sun damage
- Works in tandem with other ingredients in the formulation to support skin health, repair, and overall hydration
- Softens and hydrates skin without clogging pores, leading to a glowing complexion and reduced pore size
- Strengthens and soothes skin, and acts as an anti-inflammatory
- Helps to condition the skin to restore bounce and resilience
- Helps protect against environmental toxins and stressors, such as external pollution
- Helps to hydrate, firm, and soften skin
- Safe and suitable for all skin types and sensitive skin
- Provides building blocks of protein to support the skins matrix
- Advanced anti-aging benefits (retroactive and preventative), preventing future signs of aging, and treating signs of fine lines, wrinkles, and discoloration
- Soothes and Balances skin texture, restoring a refreshed appearance and radiant glow to treat any dullness
- Helps visibly hydrate and brighten skin, delivering a radiant aesthetic
Truth Serum: Positives and Negatives
While the product is a splurge and initial investment for its category (likely the only main downside with the use of this serum), the payoff and benefits with use are wonderful if you’re looking for an anti-aging treatment that brightens and corrects signs of hyperpigmentation. It is also a suitable fit for those seeking a restored glow and vibrance, for dull or sallow skin, as it fully restore clarity and texture.
Here is a look at some main pros and cons to bear in mind prior to purchase:
- Cruelty-free company, company does not test their products on any animals, use animal products during any manufacturing, or in any product formulations
- Product is free of all parabens, sulfates, and harsh chemical additives (including silicones, dyes, and mineral oils)
- Safe and suitable for all skin types: including dry, oily, combination, acne-prone and sensitive (excluding any specific allergens to the ingredients contained in the formulation)
- Advanced anti-aging benefits that are visible upon use including firmer skin, improvements in skins elasticity, fine lines, wrinkles, sun damage and dark spots, and pigmentation issues
- The high potency Vitamin C formulation makes this an ideal treatment for those seeking to treat signs of hyperpigmentation, sun damage, or generally brighten the complexion
- Lightweight texture with a soft citrus scent that is highly absorbing but does not feel greasy, sticky, or heavy on the skin upon application
- Helps in fully restoring hydration for those with dry skin types, and helps to balance moisture in those with oily/combination complexions
- Even with sensitive and acne-prone skin, the product was not at all irritation to my skin and did not cause any redness, sensitivity, breakouts, or reaction
- For those with dull or sallow skin, helps to restore glow, vibrance and radiance
- Helps to even out tone and texture, firming the skin while still leaving a soft feeling behind
- Product longevity: only a small amount of product and conservative use is required for efficacy, so the initial product investment goes a long way
- Users of all ages love the product, as it offers preventative benefits as well and helps protect the skin by forming a suitable barrier to fight environmental damage and sun damage to halt the progression of aging signs before they progress (or progress further)
- The main downside with this product is simply the price point- although it is to be expected as it is in the luxury beauty category, it is certainly a splurge for most of us: with that in mind, the investment does go a long way, as a small amount of product is needed for everyday use, and users should expect and excellent product shelf-life
Especially if this is a new item for you or considering the price point, the return and exchange policy in this case may be a highly important factor for you prior to purchase.
The manufacturer, Ole Henriksen, has a strong return and exchange policy that honors full refunds upon dissatisfaction or allergy, and this policy favors the consumer, both new and returning. If you are dissatisfied with the use of the serum, or if it does not work for your skin to provide suitable hydrating, toning, or anti-aging benefits, or you experience any product allergy or reaction to the formulation, you may elect to return it at any time. If you feel the policy if not taken into consideration, you may contact customer service, and you can remain ensured you will receive a full refund.
I was happy to discover that the formulation was gentle enough to use even with very sensitive/acne-prone skin and did not cause any breakouts or redness, but due to price barriers or various sensitivity concerns this policy may help assuage fears, as individual allergies are highly variable.
The Final Verdict
If you’re seeking an advanced anti-aging serum serum that offers brightening benefits in conjunction with a visible reduction in the appearance of fine lines, wrinkles, sun damage, dark spots, and loss of elasticity, I would definitely recommend trying out this topical Vitamin C antioxidant enriched treatment.
It is soothing and nourishing for all skin types and suitable for those who are sensitive, irrespective of a specific allergy to the formulation or an ingredient contained within it.
With sensitive and acne-prone skin, I only reaped benefits using this product and experienced no reactivity or breakouts following use- and found it to be extremely clean in terms of ingredients.
This is also a perfect product for those seeking to treat pigmentation issues– whether you are looking to eliminate the appearance of dark sun spots accumulated over time, uneven color tone, or general hyperpigmentation, this is definitely one of the first topical solutions I would recommend trying out.
While it is an initial investment and fits within the luxury category appropriately, in terms of benefits with use and the conservative amount of product required for use, it makes a valuable investment if you are trying to treat any of the concerns discussed in the review- one that offers efficacy along with a clean formulation.