Flawless, radiant skin free of any blemishes, problem areas, or acne marks remain a constant goal for the majority of us. But in reality, it’s more than likely that’s we’ll experience all of these concerns from time to time, or experience them frequently. That’s where effective topical spot-treatment products come in, offering a solution to preexisting acne that we’re desperate to get rid of… yesterday.
COSRX attempts to alleviate this common problem with the help of their fan-favorite product, Acne Master Patches. The set contains 24 Hydrocolloid dressing patches that intensively extract any dirt or impurities while creating a protective environmental sealant, preventing additional irritation and bacterial build-up.
The patches are more of a preventative healing product to prevent further inflammation or irritation than a spot-treatment, but the benefit to this is the typical fallbacks of almost every spot-treatment on the market (dryness, odor, product residue on clothes and sheets).
If your blemishes somehow always pop up at the wrong times (what is the right, these pimple patches are your best solution. With nearly 3,000 reviews and a 4-star rating, they’re well-loved on Amazon for their ability to speed up the healing process and prevent pimples from forming.
So I wanted to give this product a go, after all, for an acne healing remedy its held in quite high-esteem and seems to be the most popular product in the entire category. I was a bit trepidatious, only because I’ve had mixed experiences in the past with products of this nature, and the entire lack of poor reviews created an admitted sense of initial skepticism.
But ultimately, this product was not only a great value, it’s a great topical treatment product. Personally, I fall into a category of the occasional blemish and breakout skin type, which also happens to be dry and quite sensitive. So it was important to find a topical option that was suitable enough for gentle use, sensitive skin, and was free of drying properties.
Review: COSRX Acne Master Patch
The COSRX acne pimple master patches are small, clear, and made of hydrocolloid material, which is effective in healing and preventing the formation of acne. The desired spot is treated to prevent infection, further irritation, and promote healing. They help the acne blemishes flatten, inflammation is reduced, and further infection is prevented all together.
For those with acne, mild, moderate, or severe, a main issue can be further infection or irritation of a preexisting blemish or mark, and this treatment seeks to solve that concern. The patches come in 3 different sizes, and in my experience they can be cut (based on blemish size and location), to make the product last even longer.
The product must be applied to clean skin after washing the face, then applied gently to the desired area and kept on until oils are absorbed and the patch turns white (at which point you can supplement the product for another patch).
To promote advanced healing, it’s ideal to use this product on a small “wound,” or after the blemish itself has drained or at least opened. While the product itself will not drain it unless it has been “popped” so some degree, it will do so after the skin is open and expedite healing time and prevent the area from any infection, recurrence, or further irritation to the skin.
Additionally, the risk and rate of experiencing scarring from acne is greatly reduced by using the patches. It’s very thin and can be used under makeup, suitable for daytime or nighttime use. The patches are really effective, and users can expect to see no lingering redness and a complete healing process very quickly (i.e. overnight).
Prospective users should be aware that this product is not intended to treat deeper, cystic acne, and works best with moderate acne marks and smaller-medium type blemishes. But, it absolutely works!
Bonus tip? If you are looking for some other great products for sensitive and acne prone skin or oily skin check out our reviews on Aveeno’s Daily Moisturizing Lotion, Neutrogena’s Oil Free Acne Wash, and Thayers Witch Hazel Toner while you’re here!
COSRX Acne Master Patch: Pros & Cons
Here are some main pros and cons to bear in mind prior to purchase:
- No dryness, redness, or irritation to the skin occurs due to product ingredients (in fact, the patches work to prevent exactly these concerns)
- Patches actually work- healing time is rapid, blemishes are left looking smaller or non-existent, and there is no redness or visible irritation from the blemish area
- Can be used during the daytime or for nighttime
- Can be used under makeup, easy to conceal (thin and clear)
- Helps to prevent scar formation following acne
- Safe use for all skin types and all age groups (i.e. teenagers, adults)
- Odor free
- Will not leave any residue on the face, or any marks on the skin
- Suitable for hormonal acne or mild-moderate acne, of any size
- Strips can be cut down further to make more, they simply need to be larger than the size of the blemish for application
- At just under $5, this product is highly affordable, especially considering multiple patches can be further cut down for extended product shelf life
- Confidence feels improved without irritation or marks visible on the face
- The product cannot be returned unless reaction occurs, and the manufacturer must be contacted in that case (overall not a great policy for a skincare product or protect with any potential skin interaction)
- Some users feel the patches do not cling to the skin well or provide enough hold
- Some users felt the patches simply did not work, however this was a small minority of reviewers (and it seemed some of the usage in these cases may not have been as per product directives for best use)
COSRX Acne Master Patch: The Final Verdict
After trying a multitude of different topical treatment products on the market, I have to say that these patches really stand out in a difficult category.
The category poses a difficult concern to effectively treat without drying out the skin or causing further irritation (which makes it seem like a fruitless endeavor to use the product more than once). It’s also difficult to find a product that’s both effective in healing acne marks and safe enough for sensitive skin.
This seems like an overnight miracle type product, and I can see why it’s so highly reviewed. While it may not be effective in the treatment of cystic acne, the patches will effectively remedy all other types of moderate acne, including hormonal breakouts. It’s great to find a solution to a problem that’s affordable and effective very quickly, with a discrete aesthetic that can be work under makeup and during the daytime.
It’s also highly effective in preventing the formation of scar tissue, which can be one of the most frustrating and aesthetically displeasing parts of acne in general. This product has received another fan and rave review, and I’d highly recommend this as a healing topical treatment.