Review: NYX Setting Spray (Matte-Finish For a Bargain?)
Right after you’ve spent (XYZ) time doing your makeup to perfection… you may have a smudge, start to sweat, start to shine, or start to notice something seems to be “melting.”
Which is why NYX Professional Makeup Setting Spray, a lightweight matte-finish product, has become so popular with us cosmetics fans.
The worst part about these accidents, is that they can happen a few hours after you apply your makeup, an hour after, or even earlier. They can happen during work, while you’re out on a date, or during the course of a special night when you’re trying to have fun with friends and not have to keep running to the bathroom.
We all can relate to the work that goes into applying a full face of makeup, especially if it’s for a special evening out, only to have it slip and smudge later on.
But with NXY setting spray, color doesn’t fade, makeup stays in place, and the product is lightweight and breathable.
At under $10, this finishing touch matte-finish spray can help us control oil and finally “set it and forget it.”
Review: NYX Setting Spray
NXY’s Professional Makeup Setting Spray is a 2.3 oz lightweight finishing product designed to give you a fresh looking face of makeup for hours without the need for reapplication with a matte-finish and oil-control.
The product also comes in a dewy-finish formulation, for those seeking improved radiance in addition to hold.
This more popular and original setting spray holds color pigment, helps makeup to stay in place without any smudges or slipping, and is the perfect finishing touch to any makeup application- leaving you with less work and checkups to do throughout the day.
For those seeking oil control, the spray helps minimize the appearance of shine and while colors stay pigmented and radiant, the finish for hours is still matte (so you won’t find yourself having to touch up with powder throughout the day while reapplying makeup).
Even as a relative newbie to the makeup setting spray category, I found this product lived up to its hype and definitely provided a long wear even during humidity, train rides, and travel.
There was less of a need to check hand mirrors and go to the bathroom to check up on how my makeup was holding up, as the spray was actually working, and everything stayed in place for hours (other than lip color, although this product is not designed to hold any lip gloss or stick).
Also, colors seemed fresher and more vibrant, the way they look when you apply them right after application following a shower (rather than that 4pm “starting to fade” vibe).
With that said, as someone with dry skin, I think this product would be more ideal for combination and oily complexions, especially for those who experience shine around the t-zone area and are looking for a mattifying product without the need for a powder.
While it did not prove very drying for my skin, and certainly held makeup in place well, I think one of the best features and benefits with this spray is shine control (so those who are dry may prefer the dewy finish formulation).
But if you find yourself feeling shiny throughout the day and in need of a longer hold makeup finish, this is an absolutely perfect product for you.
NYX Matte-Setting Spray: How’s The Finish & Hold?
NYX’s Setting Spray has a long hold for cosmetics that not only keep cosmetics in place and retain their natural pigments, it’s also perfect if you’re looking for a matte-finish spray.
If you find yourself getting oily in the T-zone or throughout the face, or have a combination complexion, this product definitely helps in controlling oil production and preventing the appearance of shine.
Even in the face of travel, humidity, and work, you can rest more comfortably in knowing you won’t have to continue using powder products all day and trying to control excess oil production throughout the day.
Even better, the product tends to be very safe for sensitive and acne-prone skin and does not tend to cause breakouts, so those with combination and oily skin types do not have to fear blemishes and reactions after use (unless there is a specific product allergy).
NYX Setting Spray: Positives and Negatives
Overall, this makes the perfect matte-finish setting spray for a long hold cosmetics wear that won’t require frequent reapplication, and prevents spills and slips during the day. It also really helps maintain color pigment and prevents excess oil production, for a matte-finish look and a makeup application that lasts.
Here are a look at some key pros and cons to bear in mind prior to purchase:
- Works on eye makeup, eyeliner and mascara as well (as long as product has dried first)
- Cruelty-free and vegan company: company does not test products on any animals, does not use any animal products in any of its ingredients, or in any of its product formulations
- Perfect for oily and combination complexions and those who have trouble controlling shine throughout the day, helps to reduce the appearance of shine
- Helps to reduce smudging, slipping, creasing/caking, and spills
- Ideal for sensitive skin and did not cause any redness, reaction, breakouts or sensitivity (even with sensitive and acne-prone skin)
- The spray feels comfortable and breathable on the skin throughout the day
- Colors and makeup hold throughout the day and considerably less reapplication is required (in other words, you do not have to keep checking your pocket mirror or going to the bathroom to reapply, as the hold lasts for hours without degrading and smudging)
- While the finish is definitely matte, there is still a dewy quality after application that balances the look and refreshes the face
- Prevents mascara from smudging, slipping, and running throughout the day (or the “raccoon eye” effect
- Works with liquid, powder based, and airbrushed based makeup
- Works on all different complexions/skin colors and shades
- Helps hold color pigments without them changing in appearance or degrading throughout the day
- It may be applied after a full face of makeup or simply after foundation, as per your personal preference
- Multi-use benefits: you can use this before applying makeup if you are wearing shimmer makeup and want a shimmer pop look, or more traditionally after makeup for setting spray benefits
- Odor-free (does not smell of alcohol)
- At under $10, the finishing spray has great benefits at a great price, and the bottle itself lasts for quite some time even with daily use
- Some customers with extremely oily skin report that while they can still use the product and it provides a much better wear than the use of no finishing spray would at all, results are still better with the use of other (typically more expensive sprays) on the market), especially during hotter months
- If you have a very dry skin type, the product can be drying (as it does contain alcohol), I personally found it a bit drying, however the setting benefits outweighed this downside for me, and I was able to balance this effect by applying an oil cleanser and serum in the evening with no major issues
- The product does not work for setting lipstick/lip product as well and is intended for overall facial makeup
- This is not a waterproof formula, so this will not prevent makeup from coming off if you sweat heavily during the day
Especially if you have very sensitive skin or have not used makeup setting sprays in the past or this particular brand, the return and exchange policy in this case may be a highly important factor for you.
The manufacturer, NYX cosmetics, has a strong return and exchange policy that honors full refunds upon dissatisfaction or allergy, and this policy favors the consumer, both new and returning.
If you are dissatisfied with the use of the matte-finish setting spray, or if it does not work for your skin to provide suitable long-wear or general skincare benefits, or you experience any product allergy or reaction to the formulation, you may elect to return it at any time.
In this case, you will receive a full refund equal to the entire purchase price of the item.
I was happy to discover that the formulation was gentle enough to use even with very sensitive skin and did not cause any irritation or breakouts, but due to any personal sensitivity concerns this policy may help assuage fears, as individual allergies are highly variable. I did, however, find the product slightly drying (which was easily remedied with the use of a good serum).
NYX Setting Spray: Worth It?
NYX’s Setting Spray is likely the best matte-finishing spray I have tried on the market, and comes at very modest price point.
When you’re looking to prevent all of the typical makeup blunders we encounter after a seemingly perfect application, and looking for a hold that will last throughout the work day or evening, this setting spray really does the job and lives up its hype.
In addition to holding color pigment and leaving the face looking freshly “made up” for hours, it offers great shine control and a strong matte-finish if you experience excess shine during the day, or combination/oily skin (especially in the t-zone area or forehead).
If you’re looking to prevent basic beauty blunders and maintain a fresh face for hours, this is the perfect final step that doesn’t break the bank and saves time and money on reapplication.