Clinique’s Makeup Remover, designed to “take the day off” for lids, lashes, and lips, is one of the most popular and famed gentle cleansers that even removes waterproof mascara.
Reasonably priced at under $10 for a bottle that lasts months and is still made with ingredients that are clean and good for your skin, Clinique’s Take Off The Day Makeup Remover is known for its power to get rid of all oil, dirt, debris, and even heavy makeups without leaving your skin feeling dry or tight.
Usually when I use a makeup remover designed to get rid of waterproof mascara and more dramatic makeup, they either break out my skin, leave me feeling red or dry, or simply don’t work.
So especially considering the modest price, I have to admit I was skeptical, as I’ve had some mixed results with the brand in the past.
But in reading the glowing feedback we decided to give this a fair shot and test it out for a review, so you wouldn’t have to first.
Review: Clinique Makeup Remover
Whether it’s a date night out or simply a day you’re feeling like experimenting and playing with a heavier makeup look (or you like waterproof mascara and heavier liners normally), we all know how frustrating it can be to remove the products at the end of the day.
Typically, makeup removal products designed to take off waterproof mascara and heavier products can either make you break out, or cause a lot of burning, stinging, or irritating to the eyes.
I know I’ve even had products make my eyes look completely bloodshot. Or they can simply fail to work if they are gentle, or strip out and dry the skin after use.
But after trying Clinique’s Take Off The Day Makeup Remover I was happily surprised to find it not only works in removing all of your eye makeup product (including waterproof mascaras, liquid eyeliners, heavier shadows, and pencil products), it’s a very gentle product that does not burn or cause any irritation during the process.
After using it for the first time with clean cotton pads, all of my eye makeup came off easily without any stinging (even with sensitive eyes), and it worked well for matte lipsticks and different types of liners as well.
It’s definitely better than any other makeup remover product I have tried, as it doesn’t leave you feeling tight, dried out, or with any irritation after use (and is even ophthalmologist tested for those who wear contacts).
The price point is also pretty moderate considering the clean ingredients and benefits of use, although you still have to keep in mind you’ll probably want to use a toner or gentle cleanser after removing all your makeup.
Our favorite part especially for those with sensitive skin? When you wear heavy makeup your face often feels congested, and it can lead to clogged pores, trigger breakouts, or irritate sensitive eyes.
Using Clinique’s Makeup Remover, you can feel free to play with your favorite makeup looks and have a gentle solution to take it off at the end of the day without worrying about all the potential buildup and blemishes that can come after.
How To Use Clinique Makeup Remover
- Make sure to shake the bottle of the product well before using
- Use a cotton pad or ball and apply product
- Clean one eye at at a time gently, holding for several seconds and using downward strokes
- Repeat the process if all of the makeup is not removed after first use
- Use the same process to remove foundation product and lipstick from the face
- Finish with a gentle cleanser or toner of your choice
Clinique Makeup Remover: Pros and Cons
Overall, especially for the price point, this is definitely one of the best and gentlest makeup removers I have found that gets rid of even the most stubborn eyeliner, mascara, and lip colors without causing any irritation, dryness, burning, or pulling sensations after use. Sometimes after a night out when you’re seeking a more dramatic look and can’t seem to get off that pesky liner or waterproof mascara, Clinique’s Makeup Remover is the perfect solution that won’t break the bank or break out your skin after using it.
With that in mind, here are some main pros and cons to bear in mind prior to purchase with Clinique’s Makeup Remover:
- Clinique’s Makeup Remover is free of any parabens, sulfates, or harmful chemical binding agents that can be harmful to the skin or irritating over time
- Removes even the most stubborn mascara, eyeliner, and dramatic makeup without leaving behind any feelings of stripping, irritation, dryness, or pulling
- Removes heavy or lighter lip makeup (safe for the lip area) without any burning or poor tastes after using
- Safe for sensitive eyes and those who wear contact lenses
- Safe for all skin types, including sensitive and acne-prone, excluding any specific allergies (with both skin types I did not experience any breakouts, rashes, redness, or reactions after using the product)
- Extremely gentle and lightweight to use, and never feels greasy or sticky on the skin
- Extremely moderately priced for what it is and formulated with clean ingredients, this feels like a luxury beauty product (and is sold in luxury department stores) at an extremely modest price point in comparison to benefits and quality
- For those who travel often, this comes in a portable travel sized option that’s easy to carry on flights or toss in a gym bag/purse
- Clinique’s Makeup Remover works better than any drugstore makeup remover I have tried yet, and it tends to last for a much longer time, so it seems worth the few extra dollars for the product
- Perfect for sensitive skin types, or if you have tried several makeup removers
- For removing all forms of eye makeup, this is probably the best product I have tried, and given the price point, it makes the purchase even more worth it (especially if you’re a fan of eyeliner or waterproof mascara)
- When followed with a gentle cleanser or toner and moisturizer, skin is left looking soft and radiant and heavy makeup is not damaging to the skin (less clogged pores, even if you enjoy daily dramatic looks)
- Cruelty-free company: company does not test their products on any animals, use any animal product in any of their formulations, or during any manufacturing processes (not vegan, does not include beeswax, etc.)
- A very small minority of users said this caused a stinging sensation in the eye area and that their eyes were too sensitive for using it (you can definitely return it if this happens, and it’s important to always remember to avoid direct contact)
- It’s important to remember that if you are used to a very deep cleanse and toning routine, this is a makeup remover product, so while it does help in eliminating dirt, oil, and debris, you will also probably want to use your toner or a standard gentle cleanser to follow up afterwards if needed or desired, as this is for removing makeup
Clinique Cosmetics Money-Back Guarantee Policy
If you have very sensitive or acne-prone skin or have not used Clinique Cosmetics products in the past, the return and exchange policy in this case may be a highly important factor for you.
The manufacturer, Clinique, has a strong return and exchange policy that honors full refunds upon dissatisfaction or allergy, and this policy favors the consumer, both new and returning.
If you are dissatisfied with the use of Clinique’s Makeup Remover, or if it does not work for your skin to provide suitable skincare, cleansing and general makeup removal benefits, or you experience any product allergy or reaction to the formulation, you may elect to return it at any time.
In this case, you will receive a full refund equal to the entire purchase price of the item, if purchased via Amazon (it can’t be guaranteed to apply to individual stores or merchants).
In this case, the formulation of the of the makeup remover was quite gentle enough to use even with very sensitive and acne-prone skin and did not cause any irritation or burning around the eye areas, and it is designed to be extremely gentle for all types of skin, but spot testing is definitely recommended with all skincare products, as some users did report slight burning.
Clinique Makeup Remover: Worth It Winner?
When you need to remove eyeliner, mascara (including waterproof versions), heavier makeup, heavy lipsticks, and more dramatic looks without drying out your skin or causing any burning or irritation to your skin or eyes, Clinique’s Makeup Remover truly does “take off the day” and leaves you feeling soft and refreshed.
I was able to get off eyeliner (liquid and pencil), waterproof mascara, foundation products, and matte lipsticks without any feelings of tightness, burning, or irritation even with sensitive skin quite easily and gently using this product, and it never felt greasy or sticky to use.
The added bonus? Sometimes it feels like using heavy makeup, especially if you have sensitive skin or breakout easily can be very triggering or clog your pores easily.
By using this and following with a gentle toner and your regular cleanser, you can prevent clogged pores and future breakouts and still use whatever makeup looks you like.
Clinique’s Makeup Remover is definitely better than any drugstore formula I’ve tried yet and doesn’t leave behind any stinging red eyes after use, it simply washes away even the most stubborn makeup that you would normally spend several washes or failed attempts going at with a regular cleanser.
So for all of us fans of liners, pencils, heavier mascaras, and when you’re in need of the perfect makeup remover that’s gentle for sensitive skin without any burning or stinging after use, this product is highly recommended!