While at this point we have all heard enough about the perfect “long wear matte lip,” after trying Stila’s Stay All Day Liquid Lipstick, I was truly blown away by the color-hold, pigment, and how hydrating the lipstick was with a matte finish.
Not only does the Stay All Day Liquid Lipstick come in a perfect matte red shade, there are shades in pink and dusty roses, nudes, and satin/shimmer finishes that all hold for hours without requiring any reapplication.
Just like you, I’m always on the hunt for a smudge and slip proof formula that doesn’t feel sticky and will actually last through a morning (or perhaps afternoon) cup of coffee without the need for a trip to the bathroom or all-day reverse selfie camera glances.
So does Stila’s Stay All Day Liquid Lipstick truly last throughout the day in its true pigment without drying out the lips, bleeding, or transferring?
We reviewed so you wouldn’t have to.
Review: Stila Stay All Day Liquid Lipstick
Stila’s Stay All Day Liquid Lipstick is a 3ml highly pigmented product available in a wide variety of shades, mostly matte, but some in shimmer and satin finishes.
The Liquid Lipstick is designed to hold pigment true to color throughout the day without any accidents or spills and without the need for constant reapplication.
Upon first trying out the product, I was surprised to find it was the easiest matte liquid lipstick to apply, and glided on with a velvety soft finish. It felt very hydrating, didn’t smudge or leak around the outside of the lip lines, and the pigment was quite bold (without being obnoxious).
I tried out a few shades, and fell in love with the bright red color (Beso), pink rose (Portifino), and dusty rose (Patina). But with so many shades available, there are enough for many of them to be universally flattering on all skin complexions and colors.
Even with the matte finish, the liquid lipstick was not at all drying and did not crack or chap my lips at all, instead I was left with a long-wear pigment that held for hours without any fading.
While the manufacturer claims the color lasts 12 hours, I would give this a good 5-6.
But lets be honest, without any spills, transfers, or smudging, that’s pretty darn good.
Without any doubts, I would recommend this as the best matte liquid lip color I have tried yet, with a beautiful pigment that stays in place and gets plenty of compliments throughout the day.
Stila Stay All Day Liquid Lipstick Colors
While all of the included colors in the collection are unique and beautiful on different complexions, skin tones, and features, we tested out three bestsellers to review more briefly.
Here is a look at three of Stila’s favorite Stay All Day Liquid Lip Colors put to the test:
*It’s important to bear in mind that these are matte-finish shades, but shades are also available in shimmer and satin finishes, if you prefer*
Beso is that “true matte red” we are all looking for, whether its for a night out of fun, a first date, or a bold daytime look.
It’s that perfect red with hints of blue undertones that lacks any pink or orange and also doesn’t get too dark (maroon, deep, or ruby). If you are looking for a perfect bold red with a long wear and no smudges or slips that does not require frequent reapplication, this is one of the best products I have found to date.
It is easy to apply, feels moisturizing, does not dry out the lips, doesn’t get on to the teeth (let’s face it, don’t we all worry about that before every meeting and date?), and lasts for about 5 hours.
The pigment is bright and true to the color swatch, and doesn’t fade during the day. I love swiping on a balm or a hint of gloss on top for an extra pop sometimes. This is definitely one of the best matte reds I have tried and is well worth the price.
Portofino is a pink rose color that is perfect for both day and evening wear, and would seem to work great on a variety of skin shades and colors.
It works as a lovely daytimes color that glides on with subtle undertones of berry (especially on lighter skin tones), and a lighter, dusty color on darker complexions.
The color is highly buildable as well, so for a night out, you can sweep on a couple of layers and add on a pencil or an eyeliner for a more dramatic effect. For a daytime look, you can keep the rest of your makeup fairly neutral and wear it all day comfortably knowing it won’t slip or smudge out of place during office meetings.
Patina is a very dusty and sultry rose that has hints of mauve and subtle purple undertones, and is equally suitable for day and night.
Similar to Portofino, Patina offers a great daytime or evening look, and has a long hold that does not fade in pigment. On lighter skin tones or more pale complexions, more purple reflexions are visible, and on darker complexions, lighter shades of dustier and pink-toned rose are more visible.
This is definitely a bestseller for a reason, a very popular shade among a wide variety of age groups and those of all skin colors.
On my skin color, it looked a bit like a dusty berry color, and wore for hours without feeling dry. It pairs well with a lovely dress at night and some extra mascara, or as a more polished office look with a softer overall makeup look.
Stila Stay All Day Liquid Lipstick Ingredients
Here is a look at a couple of key ingredients in Stila’s Stay All Day Liquid Lipstick formula and some main benefits for the lips with use:
- Can help to heal and regenerate cracked lips and provide gentle exfoliation
- Hydrates, moisturizes, soothes and nourishes cracked and dried lips
- Can help lips look “pinker” in color and more vibrant
- May help subtly enhance the appearance of the lips
- Can help repair any existing damage or abrasions to the lip area (very nourishing)
- Can help in treating dry, chapped, and irritated lips
- Can act as a mild sunscreen for the lips and act as a natural environmental protective barrier
- Can speed up wound healing times for any minor cuts or sores on the lips
- Nourishes and protects even during harsh environmental/weather climates
- Can help add a natural glow and vibrance to the lips
Stila Stay All Day Liquid Lipstick Pros & Cons
Here is a look at some key pros and cons to bear in mind prior to purchase with Stila’s Stay All Day Liquid Lipstick:
- The pigment is rich and true to the color swatch and does not fade over time and wear
- Has a lovely, sweet soft scent (not like perfume or artificial)
- Vegan and cruelty-free company: company does not test any of its products on animals, use any products during any manufacturing processes, or use any animals products in any formulations
- The liquid lipstick is formulated free of any parabens, sulfates, and chemical additives
- Formulated with natural ingredients like avocado oil and Vitamin E, the liquid lipstick never cracks out or dries the lips but still provides a matte finish
- Long wear: lasts for 5+ hours without transfer, smudging, or slips
- Huge variety of color options make the liquid lipstick fit all different skin tones, shades and complexions
- The product feels lightweight, hydrating, moisturizing, and is never greasy or sticky after application
- Shades are available in matte, satin and shimmer finishes depending on your own preferences
- This is definitely the best liquid lipstick product I have tried on the market in comparison to competitors
- Price: at $22, this is definitely not as cheap as you would find at a drugstore or with a generic brand, but compared to benefits and performance, I found the value, pigment, and hold worth the price
- A small minority of customers still found the liquid lipstick drying to the lips (I would recommend dabbing a small amount of balm before or after the use of any liquid lipstick formulation if this is the case with this product, as this is definitely one of the most hydrating formulations available)
Stila’s Money-Back Guarantee Policy
If you are at all skeptical about the price point, any potential sensitivities, or have not used Stila Cosmetics products in the past, the return and exchange policy in this case may be a highly important factor for you.
The manufacturer, Stila Cosmetics, has a strong return and exchange policy that honors full refunds upon dissatisfaction or allergy, and this policy favors the consumer, both new and returning.
If you are dissatisfied with the use of Stila’s Stay All Day Liquid Lipstick, or if it does not work for your lips to provide suitable matte-wear or general cosmetic benefits, or you experience any product allergy or reaction to the formulation, you may elect to return it at any time.
This policy applies to Amazon purchases, it cannot be guaranteed to apply to individual store merchants or local stores.
In this case, you will receive a full refund equal to the entire purchase price of the item.
Stila Stay All Day Liquid Lipstick: Worth It Winner?
We’re all looking for that perfect matte-finish liquid lipstick that won’t smear, smudge, or slip throughout the day- and provides a beautiful rich pigment shade without fading out.
With Stila’s Stay All Day Liquid Lipstick, I’ve definitely found my favorite product in the whole category in comparison to competitors.
It doesn’t dry out your lips (especially if you exfoliate first, or if you put a balm to top), and it does not fade in pigment.
The colors are rich and lively, and Beso in particular is the best matte-red I have ever tried, which is saying a lot.
We’re all on a search for a perfect liquid lipstick that provides hours of coverage without all of the typical downfalls we usually find in this category, and the price point is actually fairly moderate in comparison to benefits and how long it lasts.