When you notice something like Dr. Jart’s BB Cream, or Black Label Detox BB Beauty Balm (more specifically), trending, you’d expect the prices to be through the roof considering the reviews and buzz.
But at under $40, while not a drugstore brand price, for an anti-aging skincare product with an SPF that is a cosmetics concealer BB cream in one, I was impressed.
Impressed and ready to try it out to see what all the hype was about and report back to curious readers, and for selfish reasons as well (lets be honest).
With wonderful past experiences with the trending Korean skincare brand, learning about another anti-aging product with a light coverage radiant finish and physical sunscreen was enough to sell me.
Learning it soothes irritated red skin, heals blemishes and contains caviar? Sold.
We reviewed, so you wouldn’t have to, but as a warning: you may experience temptation to purchase after reading.
Review: Dr. Jart BB Cream
Dr. Jart’s trending BB Cream has not only gained a loyal following very quickly, it’s won several beauty awards and seems to get rave reviews by everyone who tries it.
With a radiant finish and light to medium (buildable coverage), the BB cream also has an SPF and contains potent skincare ingredients that help prevent the skin from aging and reverse the signs of aging that have already taken place.
While it seems like it would sell for $100 per tube given the fancy ingredients and “black label” nature of the product, and it still is certainly not cheap, the product comes in at a somewhat modest price compared to benefits and ingredients.
Plus it seems to do several jobs at once, helping you eliminate the need for a daily sunscreen, and helping to hydrate the skin while providing coverage.
The main downside with Dr. Jart’s BB Cream is it is sold in one color, so it really only works for those with fair to medium complexions, and does not work for those with darker skin or olive skin colors.
It would probably really help if the company expanded the color range, especially since the product does so well and flies of shelves.
Other than that, if the shade does work for your skin, it goes on velvety soft, feels comfortable and silky, and is very breathable. With that said, it still hides fine lines, wrinkles, pores, acne marks, and everything you don’t want showing on your skin.
The best part is probably that while its concealing all of these things, it’s also helping to treat them and acting as a skincare product as well. If you have any irritation, redness, or sore skin, you can also expect Dr. Jart’s BB cream to nourish your skin and help treat these signs while preventing them from coming back in the future.
While using this BB cream (even as a typical fan of foundations), I felt the coverage was definitely enough and buildable, and felt extremely soft to wear. It blended into the skin much easier and more naturally than a regular foundation product would. Plus, in addition to protection, it’s nice to know your skin is soaked with an added layer of hydrating and anti-aging skincare treatment product.
How Do I Use Dr. Jart BB Cream?
- Apply a cleanser, soap, and toner to the skin and let dry
- Apply a serum and moisturizer if desired (following your regular routine)
- Apply a primer if desired
- Apply Dr. Jart’s BB Cream as desired, as coverage is buildable, and blend evenly across the face
- Finish with your regular makeup routine if desired
Dr. Jart BB Cream Pros and Cons
I found the majority of benefits and uses with Dr. Jart’s Black Label Detox BB Beauty Balm to be quite positive, and it’s definitely a wonderful BB cream as well as a great go-to multi-use product. The SPF included and the anti-aging and hydrating skincare benefits give this product a definite edge, and the finish is quite radiant and dewy. It is buildable and great for a starting canvas or days you’d rather not wear any makeup. With that said, with only one color to pick from, it really only works for fair-tan skin types, and some reviewers have claimed to experience breakouts with using the product.
Those seem to be the main downfalls with the product, other than that, it’s trending and award-winning.
Here are a look at some main pros and cons to consider prior to purchase with Dr. Jart’s BB Cream:
- Sun protection benefits: contains a physical sunscreen block (under SPF 30) that helps protect from future environmental damage and the sun, and helps with preventative anti-aging benefits
- Anti-aging benefits: contains ingredients that help to reduce the appearance of fine lines, sun damage, wrinkles, loss of elasticity, and pigmentation issues
- Hydrates and nourishes the skin
- The BB cream provides a radiant and creamy finish that hides imperfections like acne, blemish marks, discolorations, and uneven skin tones
- Extremely soothing and nourishing for redness, irritation, and acne-prone skin
- Cruelty-free company: company does not test on any animals, use any animal products in any of its formulations, or during any of its manufacturing processes
- Formulated for all skin types (normal, dry, combination, oily, sensitive, and acne-prone)
- Covers up all redness (while helping to treat and soothe it), as well as dark spots and pigmentation issues
- The shade is light enough for those with fair skin but also deep enough for those with tanner complexions (not as recommended for olive tones and darker toned skin)
- Works for all age demographics as well as men and women
- Dr. Jart’s BB cream is free of any parabens, sulfates, mineral oils, and harsh chemical binding agents that can irritate or dry out the skin
- Leaves the skin looking dewy, fresh, radiant, and glowing after use
- Can be used as a makeup base or can be used on its own for days you don’t feel like wearing makeup
- Leaves the pores looking quite flawless and invisible, and tightens them
- Great coverage that is highly buildable and blends into the skin quite easily and well
- Although I typically opt for more coverage with foundation products, this is easily one of the best BB creams I have tried
- The texture is silky and lightweight on the skin and feels very breathable, and is never greasy, sticky, or leaves behind any residue
- Dr. Jart’s BB cream uses only fine ingredients that support hydration and skin health (including actual caviar)
- Because there is only one shade available (light to medium), this likely would not work very well for darker complexions and it would be nice to see a larger variety of choices provided for those with different skin colors and complexions, there is only one color option to pick from
- For very oily skin: this may leave the skin looking a bit shiny or oily after use or throughout the day (with that said, some reviewers with oily skin seem to love the BB cream)
- A few reviewers claimed they experienced breakouts after using this product, which can happen with any skincare product, so it is always important to spot-test prior to using new products and trying out new treatment items on the skin
Dr Jart’s Money-Back Guarantee-Policy
If you have very sensitive or acne-prone skin (or price barriers are a concern given this item’s cost for you) or have not used Dr. Jart skincare products in the past, the return and exchange policy in this case may be a highly important factor for you.
The manufacturer, Dr. Jart, has a strong return and exchange policy that honors full refunds upon dissatisfaction or allergy, and this policy favors the consumer, both new and returning.
If you are dissatisfied with the use of Dr. Jart’s BB Cream, or if it does not work for your skin to provide suitable skincare, anti-aging and general hydrating or cosmetic benefits, or you experience any product allergy or reaction to the formulation, you may elect to return it at any time.
In this case, you will receive a full refund equal to the entire purchase price of the item, if purchased via Amazon (it can’t be guaranteed to apply to individual stores or merchants).
In this case, the formulation of the Black Label Detox BB Beauty Balm was very gentle, and fine to use even with very sensitive and acne-prone skin and did not cause any irritation or breakouts, but spot testing is definitely recommended with this product, as some reviewers have reported breakouts after using Dr. Jart’s BB Cream.
Dr. Jart BB Cream: Worth It For Its Price?
Considering all of the different uses for one product, in terms of both cosmetics and skincare, Dr. Jart’s BB Cream definitely seems worth it for its price, and not much product is needed for coverage, making the product last for quite some time.
Not only does the BB cream support overall skin health and anti-aging benefits, the coverage for a BB cream is quite strong, and like a lightweight foundation, with the added benefit of sun protection.
This is by far one of the best BB creams I have tried on the market and I would recommend this for anyone who likes natural coverage with skincare benefits without any hesitation.
Plus, if you are experiencing any redness, irritation, or sensitive skin, Dr. Jart’s BB cream may just be your perfect match.
For it’s multi-use benefits and skincare and cosmetics features, that are both great alone, and even better when put into one product (which is hard to do), we’d definitely give this a worth it for its price approval.