In passing different cosmetics stores, the brand I’ve come to make my first stop at these days is typically Milk Makeup, and I recently discovered Milk Makeup’s Sunshine Tint SPF 30 product. While I discourage favoritism, I’ve a trend in my peer group, as with every stop it seems to become more difficult to look at every product, test them, or even get to the section itself because of the crowd formation.
After trying so many of the brand products with successful results, including the popular “Meet The Fam” starter set, and the phenomenal and reasonably priced Sunshine Oil (which changed the texture and aesthetic of my skin within a single night of use), I developed a bit of an obsession with the brand.
Admittedly, their transparent practices and line of gluten-free vegan products that support environmentally-friendly practices and contribute to charitable donations do not hurt matters much, and certainly help in justifying the splurges. With that said, most of the products also offer incredible multi-use benefits, provide longevity, excellent value in comparison to retail, and exceed claims compared to initial benefits.
All of the formulations are clean, suitable for all skin types (including those who are sensitive), are free of any parabens, sulfates, and harsh chemical additives.
During a recent trip to a vendor carrying the brand, I spotted a product similar to the line’s Sunshine Oil that had a color tint as well, confused as to what it was initially, I discovered after some testing and trial it was a sheer liquid foundation (designed to hydrate skin while providing buildable, natural-looking coverage and sun protection.)
Formulated with similar ingredients to the traditional Sunshine Oil, this product also provides light radiant coverage as well as UVA/UVB sun protection, making it an extremely unique multi-use product that’s been well reviewed and left my skin looking and feeling soft and radiant, with a supple and glowing aesthetic.
This review will cover the main product features, some ingredients and skincare benefits with respect to the formulation, some positives and negatives to bear in mind prior to purchase, as well as a final verdict, to help you make a more informed purchasing choice prior to any point of sale.
Review: Milk Makeup Sunshine Skin Tint SPF 30
Milk Makeup’s Sunshine Skin Tint SPF 30 is a .7oz roll-on product that provides light and radiant cosmetic coverage while delivering all of the same benefits (and using most of the same ingredients) as the traditional Sunshine Oil.
Formulated for all skin types, including sensitive skin (barring those with specific allergies, particularly those who are sensitive to citrus and coconut oils), this sheer foundation delivers buildable and natural coverage while providing the same skincare benefits (including improved hydration and radiance) as the traditional Sunshine Oil, as well as the inclusion of a sun protective factor.
Free of preservatives, gluten, parabens, sulfates, and a completely vegan product, those who are searching for clean multi-use cosmetics products are are conscious of the ingredients of skincare products (but are still seeking those that actually prove effective), will hopefully find this to be an excellent product.
From the manufacturer, “roll and blend your way to dewy, radiant skin. This preservative-free, ultra-fresh formula offers coverage that is buildable-yet-breathable, all while protecting you with SPF 30. Infused with a blend of avocado, mandarin, grapeseed, and olive oils, Sunshine Skin Tint delivers ultimate hydration that leaves skin looking fresh. Its antimicrobial packaging contains silver which allows for a preservative-free foundation. Plus, the glass rollerball applicator glides onto skin for quick, mess-free, on-the-go use—no brushes needed.”
Although I typically use heavier foundation products, I found this multi-use product not only delivered excellent skincare benefits and sun protection benefits with daily use, but coverage is definitely highly buildable. You may also wish to use it in conjunction with a heavier foundation if more coverage is required, as it is quite light (akin to a CC cream).
Ultimately, with daily topical use, my skin looked and appeared more hydrated, radiant, refreshed, and the color match was nearly identical in natural and artificial light. The overall aesthetic was extremely natural with a dewy finish, and it’s one of the best multi-use items I’ve found to date on the market.
Milk Makeup Sunshine Skin Tint SPF 30 Ingredients
For those who are sensitive, or simply like to know what they are putting on to their skin, understanding ingredients in product formulations and their corresponding skincare benefits can be as important as reading labels on the foods we eat or looking up ingredient lists in recipes prior to cooking. In addition to containing a physical blocking UVA/UVB sun protecting factor, here is a look at some key ingredients contained in the product formulation as well as their corresponding ingredients with ongoing daily topical use:
- Treats skin infection, decreases topical bacteria, decreases topical redness and itching
- Attracts and binds moisture into the skin, which is very absorbing and leaves the skin smooth and soft, more visibly hydrated and nourished
- Helps with anti-acne benefits: prevents acne and bacteria that causes blemishes, decreasing breakouts, blackheads and whiteheads, particularly in the t-zone area for those with oily or combination skin
- Anti-inflammatory properties in glycerin help in treating any topical irritation
- Soothing and nourishing to the skin, leaving the skin feeling cool, softened, and cleansed
- Helps in providing a hydrating cleanse that still leaves skin smooth and free of any dirt or oil, without drying out or stripping the skin of natural oil
- Helps in depleting any lost hydration and may help alleviate very dry skin
- Helps with anti-aging benefits and concerns: with continual daily use over time, fights signs of aging such as fine lines, wrinkles, sun spots, and with longterm use signs of hyperpigmentation
- Helps in providing moisture to the skin that is very absorbing and provides a long moisture hold, so frequent reapplication is not required
- Suitable for both very dry skin, combination skin, sensitive skin, and acne-prone skin (provides hydration as well as balance)
- Helps in restoring radiance, glow, and promoting a brighter and more even skin tone for dullness
- Helps to treat and fight and to prevent any bacteria on the skin
- Anti-acne benefits: treats acne and bacteria that causes acne to form and helps to reduce the formation blemishes
- Helps improve the appearance of uneven skin, while restoring smoothness of texture
- Helps protect skin, forming a barrier, and helps restore depleted hydration
- Relieves skin irritation, redness, and breakouts (has anti-inflammatory properties)
- Balances oil production, making it suitable for different skin types, including combination and oily types
- For dry skin, helps restore depleted hydration and helps to lock and bind in moisture into the skin
- Helps to repair uneven skin, lines and wrinkles, and dry skin
- Feels incredibly nourishing and soothing upon application, and following treatment
- Powerful anti-aging benefits to address and alleviate aging concerns: helps minimize the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles, and over time sun spots and hyper-pigmentation
Citrus Nobilis Mandarin Orange Peel Oil
- An ingredient found in the traditional Sunshine Oil, orange peel oil has numerous benefits to support skin health and improve the overall aesthetic
- For those with oily or combination skin: helps to restore and provide balance to the skin naturally and return natural oil production
- Anti-acne benefits: helps prevent acne and acne-causing bacteria, including future breakouts and blemishes
- Anti-aging benefits: helps to minimize the appearance of aging concerns such as fine lines, wrinkles, and sun spots
- Helps reduce the appearance of scar tissue, acne scarring, and skin discoloration
- For those with dull or sallow skin, helps to brightens skin, delivering a glowy, dewy aesthetic
- Helpful in evening out overall tone of the skin, if you’re experiencing any unevenness or lack of balance in texture
- Has refreshing, toning properties to the skin when applied topically
- Can help in preventing or treating skin infection or minor irritation
- Promotes new skin cell growth and improved cellular turnover speed
- Hydrates: delivers moisture to the skin that is locked in, helps hydrate very dry skin and seal in moisture with a long hold
Jojoba Seed Oil
- Counterintuitively, helps reduce excess oil production and promotes balance of oils to the skin, reducing breakouts and promoting even tone
- For dull or sallow skin, helps restore glow and radiance
- Safe for sensitive skin and topical conditions, and may even act as an aid in the treatment of acne, eczema and sunburn after exposure
- Lighter than other oils in terms of texture, preventing a greasy or sticky feeling on the skin
- Provides suitable anti-aging benefits: over time and with continual daily use, may help in the treatment of fine lines, wrinkles, sun spots, and signs of pigmentation
- Preventative treatment: acts as a barrier for those seeking preventative anti-aging benefits
- Helps moisturize the skin and provides hydration for those with dehydrated or dry skin
- Rich in antioxidants for hydration and nourishment, and to support overall skin health
- Provides deep moisture directly to skin and binds hydration to the skin, very absorbing
- Provides a suitable barrier for the skin to protect against free radical damage, environmental damage, and sun damage
- Leaves skin soft, smooth and restored
- Works in tandem with other ingredients in the formulation and contains vitamins and minerals to support overall skin quality, complexion and health
- Rich in Vitamin E and fatty acids, the epidermis on the top layer of the skin easily absorbs these ingredients and reaps benefits including hydration and balance
- Anti-inflammatory effects help treat and prevent acne and acne-causing bacteria
- Minimizes redness and signs of inflammation
- Anti-aging benefits: aids in the synthesis of collagen production, improves skin elasticity and helps treats signs of fine lines, wrinkles, and sun damage
- May help treating small wounds, skin infections, acne scarring, and general scar tissue
- Helps to calm and balance, helps calm itchy or irritated skin
- For those with dry skin: helps fully restore depleted hydration and provides a long moisture hold
- Heals and repairs damaged or chapped skin tissue
- Shields the skin from UVA radiation, may act as a natural sunscreen and help in preventative anti-aging and fighting the effects of sun damage (preventative anti-aging benefits)
Milk Makeup Sunshine Skin Tint SPF 30 Pros & Cons
Considering the multi-use benefits of the product (including skincare and cosmetic benefits), and general efficacy and proven results with daily use, the positives seem to far outweigh price concerns in this case, and the value compared to cost seems to make this a worthy indulgence– dependent on individual concerns, views, and product needs.
With that in mind, here is a look at some main pros and cons to bear in mind prior to purchase:
- Product longevity: although coverage is buildable so this may be dependent based on individual preferences, 2-3 pumps of product is suitable for a full face of coverage and one small pump is suitable for a touch up
- Vegan and cruelty-free company: products are never tested on any animals, no animal product is used in any of the formulations or during any manufacturing processes (including beeswax)
- Product is free of gluten, parabens, sulfates, harsh chemical additives, talc-free, and free of all preservatives
- Multi-use benefits: skincare benefits, sun protection benefits and cosmetics benefits add value to the product
- Skincare benefits include increased hydration, radiance, and a dewy finish and aesthetic to the skin following application
- A wide array of colors are available and suitable for a diverse array of complexions, specific to undertones, and while the color is very light, if you are a “perfectionist” with matching, the match is still almost identical in artificial and natural lighting
- Product is highly buildable and can be used in conjunction with a heavier formulation if desired, particularly if you are experiencing breakouts or need heavier coverage for a day or so
- The finishing aesthetic is perfect for those who prefer natural appearing looks with radiant finishes (and added skincare benefits)
- The added sun protection and hydration adds value in the sense of the elimination of the need to purchase other products to use in conjunction with this one
- Product feels lightweight and is never sticky, heavy or tacky on the skin and leaves behind no residue, it also offers a long wear with no slipping or fading throughout the day (even without a finishing spray)
- Product has a lovely scent without any artificial or overly perfumed quality
- Product is easily blendable with fingers or a brush
- Even with sensitive and acne-prone skin, the product did not break out my skin or cause any redness, irritation, reaction, or reactivity
- Perfect for use in conjunction with other Milk Makeup products, such as the Sunshine oil itself, or the Cooling Stick, for added glow, or simply to experiment with various looks and finishing aesthetics
- The container/applicator (as with some Milk products) can be a bit difficult to adjust to and roll out at first, but typically once you get the hang of it, it’s easy to adjust, it’s advisable for first time users to start of very conservatively as to avoid any product waste upon first time use
- If you are someone who prefers heavier coverage, this product may not be ideal for you, as it is light and radiant coverage, and while buildable, it would be rather expensive to use it for a heavier look as a daily go to (unless used in conjunction with another product), it is akin to a CC cream, so this is more suitable for those who prefer light coverage and a very natural aesthetic
- This product is not suitable for those with coconut or citrus sensitivities
If you are new to the brand or have particularly sensitive skin, the return/exchange policy in this case may be a highly important factor for you.
The manufacturer, Milk Makeup, has a strong return and exchange policy that honors full refunds upon dissatisfaction or allergy, and this policy favors the consumer, both new and returning.
If you are dissatisfied with the use of the product, or if it does not work for your skin to provide suitable hydrating or cosmetic benefits, or you experience any product allergy or reaction to the formulation, you may elect to return it at any time.
In this case, you will receive a full refund equal to the entire purchase price of the item. If the item was received as a gift (without receipt), the policy applies for an even exchange, and this policy is applicable to online purchase, as individual store policy may vary depending on location and distributer.
If you feel the policy if not taken into consideration, you may contact customer service, and you can remain ensured you will receive a full refund.
I was pleased to discover that the formulation was gentle enough to use even with very sensitive skin and did not cause any breakouts, but due to price barriers or sensitivity concerns this policy may help assuage fears, as individual allergies are highly variable. While I felt compared to the longevity and benefits this was a worthy splurge, this is a highly individual choice, and only one you as a consumer can decide on.
As a side note: this product is not recommended for those with allergies to coconut or citrus oils.
Milk Makeup Sunshine Skin Tint SPF 30: Worth It?
If you’re seeking a sun protecting product that offers all of the same benefits as the traditional Milk Makeup Sunshine Oil formulation (improved glow, restored radiance, hydration, supple skin, anti-aging benefits), as well as a sheer and radiant coverage- this is the perfect product for you.
Designed with those who have sensitive skin in mind (as well as being free of gluten, preservatives and fully vegan and cruelty-free), this product is one of the best multi-use formulations I’ve encountered to date on the market.
The Sunshine Skin Tint offers a light and natural coverage that leaves the skin with a glowing and dewy finish, offers a protective barrier from harmful rays and environmental pollution/future damage, and provides cosmetics benefits in addition to all of the same benefits of use with the traditional Sunshine Oil formulation.
If you’re a fan of vegan or gluten-free beauty and cosmetics products, or simply seeking a sheer and lightweight multi-use product that’s lightweight, hydrating, and provides a light but radiant finish I would recommend this product free of reservations.
Highly recommended, and definitely worth the hype!