After trying a trial version of Drunk Elephant’s Protini Polypeptide Cream, I was amazed with the results and ended up giving in to the purchase of the full size product version, which in retrospect provided so many benefits in conjunction with longevity that it was well worth the investment.
With a cult-following, in terms of the entire growing and newly trending brand, but with respect to this cream in particular, I can see why after a first-hand user experience this product has received so many glowing reviews and testaments to its benefits with use.
Suitable for all skin types, including sensitive skin (barring any allergies to a specific ingredient contained in the formulation), this protein based moisturizer is packed with amino acids, signal peptides, and safe, synthetic growth factors that revive the skin and provide anti-aging benefits almost immediately.
Out of all the various products on the market in cosmetics and creams I have tried, this is one of very few that I noticed visible results and benefits with following first-time use, and to date, I have only been able to say that for mask type products designed to be used prior to events or when the skin is in need of an instant fix.
Formulated with proteins and nutrients, this topical treatment is akin to skin food, and helps revive any dull or sallow skin to restore radiance while treating all of the signs of aging (fine lines, wrinkles, loss of elasticity, and sun damage). In terms of the latter benefits, it can be used at any age as it provides advanced retroactive and preventative benefits with everyday topical use.Before we begin, make sure you’re ordering Drunk Elephant from a legitimate retailer, NOT from a counterfeit seller. For your convenience, here is the Amazon link to an authentic Drunk Elephant retailer.
The founder refers to the product as a “skin smoothie,” and in terms of skin health, it is much like a needed shot of kelp or protein, only this product offers the same benefits from a topical perspective.
Out of all the products in the industry I have tried to date, this is one of the only single cream formulations where I received multiple compliments regarding my skin, with one person even saying “I barely recognized you at first.”
While this is not akin to cosmetic surgery and will not make a user look 10 years younger overnight, it is absolutely comparable in terms of benefits to other much more expensive products on the market I have tested and provides really remarkable results- and quite quickly.
This review will cover some main product features, some positives and negatives to bear in mind prior to purchase, as well as a final verdict, to help you make a more accurate and informed purchasing choice prior to any point of sale.
The Main Features
Drunk Elephant’s Protini Polypeptide Cream is a game-changer in the industry, particularly for a relatively new and upcoming brand that has gained popularity within the past few years.
The protein based moisturizer utilizes signal peptides, growth factors, supportive amino acids and pygmy waterlily in a proprietary formulation to treat signs of dull or sallow skin, dryness, and loss of firmness and elasticity. More advanced anti-aging benefits include the treatment of fine lines, wrinkles, sun damage, and pigmentation issues. Texture and balance in the skin is also restored.
To my surprise I could notice a visible difference and glowing skin after only a single use of the product, which excluding advanced mask treatments and extremely expensive formulations I have yet to experience with any other product on the market to date.
My skin instantly felt incredibly smooth and soft, more radiant, dewy, and was glowing. After using the product for several weeks, I noticed a visibly more youthful looking complexion with extremely even skin in terms of tone and texture and began receiving unexpected compliments. Skin appears refreshed and revitalized, even if you haven’t gotten a wonderful nights sleep the evening prior.
When used under a makeup regimen, less product and foundation are generally required, and when used at night the feeling is smooth and luxurious, and you wake up to a truly glowing complexion. While the product is extremely hydrating, it never feels heavy, sticky, or greasy on the skin and leaves behind no residue.
Although skeptical given the price point and perceived marketing hype potential, I was pleased to discover the product actually did exceed initial claims of benefits, and it is something I would recommend to women and men of all ages, for preventative and retroactive benefits.
The formulation is also made of only very high and clean ingredients, and free of any harsh additives, binding ingredients, parabens, and sulfates.
Positives and Negatives
While in comparison to benefits with use, product longevity, and considering this is a cream I would compare to those that sell at 3-5+ times the cost (if anything, benefits may actually exceed stated treatments), it is still a splurge item for most of us. If you do consider how long the product last and the fact that it can certainly be used in conjunction with a suitable cleanser as a standalone product, month to month costs start to make more fiscal sense in comparison to the initial investment. With that said, the initial cost is still likely the only downside I see with the use of this product (other than if you are allergic to a specific formulation ingredient).
With this in mind, here are some key pros and cons to consider prior to purchase to help you make a more informed choice:
- The product is safe and suitable for all skin types, including sensitive and acne-prone skin, excluding any specific allergen to an ingredient contained in the formulation (spot testing is always recommended prior to first time use)
- Cruelty-free company: company does not test on any animals, use any animal product in any of its formulations, or use any animal product during any manufacturing processes
- Results are visible quite quickly following use in comparison to other creams on the market, and differences are noticeable after even a single product use
- The cream is perfect for applying prior to makeup for a more radiant finish, or at night to wake up to a more dewy and youthful glow
- Suitable for all age groups and demographics, the cream provides both advanced retroactive repair for preexisting damage and prevents future signs of damage and creates a suitable environmental barrier on the surface of the skin
- Drunk Elephant is a supporter of IEF (International Elephant Foundation) and produces all of its products within the United States without considering cheaper manufacturing methods to ensure quality
- The product instantly makes the skin feel soft, hydrated, refreshed and lacks any heavy, sticky, or greasy feeling
- Helps to improve the appearance (over time) of acne scarring
- I noticed a vast improvement in breakouts and acne marks while using this cream (a sentiment echoed by many other reviewers)
- Even with sensitive and acne-prone skin, I experienced no breakouts, redness, reactivity, or sensitivity issues when using this product (another sentiment echoed by many reviewers with acne-prone and sensitive skin)
- Rich in protein, vitamins, and amino acids, this cream supports overall skin health and leaves the skin looking radiant and fresh
- For younger users, this cream drastically improves and staves off the appearance of aging and prevents against sun damage
- For more mature users, reviewers have commented that this product has taken years off of their face, and is a vast improvement even in comparison to other much more expensive products and treatments available on the market, some of which contain ingredients that can be irritating to the skin or contain harsh chemical binding agents
- For those who are oily or combination with respect to complexion, the cream helps restore balance to the skin and moisturizes without any feelings of grease afterwards
- For those with dry skin, this cream is incredibly hydrating and can even be used as a standalone product with a hydrating cleanser
- Product longevity: the cream lasts months even with daily use, adding value in conjunction with the corresponding benefits with use
- For those sensitive to fragrance or additives, the product is fragrance free
- The only personal con I have encountered in using this product is the price point, which at $68 for just under 5 ounces is a hefty investment for many of us- however, a very minimal amount of product is needed to improve the appearance of the entire face and provide adequate hydration even for those with very dry skin, so a very modest amount should go a very long way, and this can absolutely be used as a standalone product in conjunction with a cleanser unless you are seeking a more advanced treatment or a fan of more complicated regimens
Especially considering the price point for this item (despite incredible value), the return policy in this case may be a highly important factor for you.
The manufacturer, Drunk Elephant, has a strong return and exchange policy that honors full refunds upon dissatisfaction or allergy, and this policy favors the consumer, both new and returning. If you are dissatisfied with the use of the cream, or if it does not work for your skin to provide suitable hydrating or anti-aging benefits, or you experience any product allergy or reaction to the formulation, you may elect to return it at any time.
In this case, you will receive a full refund equal to the entire purchase price of the item. If the item was received as a gift (without receipt), the policy applies for an even exchange, and this policy is applicable to online purchase, as individual store policy may vary depending on location and distributer.
If you feel the policy if not taken into consideration, you may contact customer service, and you can remain ensured you will receive a full refund.
I was happy to discover that the formulation was gentle enough to use even with very sensitive skin and did not cause any breakouts, but due to price barriers or sensitivity concerns this policy may help assuage fears, as individual allergies are highly variable.
While I felt compared to the longevity (the product should last 6+ months) and benefits this was a worthy splurge, this is a highly individual choice, and only one you as a consumer can decide on.
The Final Verdict
In comparison to a bevy of cosmetics products I have tried, reviewed, and used, Drunk Elephant’s Protini Polypeptide Cream has really been a standout, offering several factors of differentiation as well as providing a suitable solution for those in varying age groups and demographics, either hoping to gain retroactive and more advanced treatments and those seeking preventative care.
From Tiffany Masterson, the founder and CEO of Drunk Elephant, “”Hi all! Every day, I add protein powder to my smoothie for muscle support. I wanted a different kind of moisturizer that would do the same for my collagen—help support, maintain, and possibly prevent the breakdown of existing. Protini was born. Jam-packed with crazy levels of amino acids, signal peptides, and safe, synthetic growth factors (the good kind), this dreamy cream melts right into your skin to make it hydrated, bouncy, and balanced. I’m hoping you’ll fall #drunkinlove!”
Her words ring true as this is truly a treatment that supports overall skin health and vibrancy via amino acids, peptides, and vitamin complexes all working in tandem to deliver the best self-care you can offer your skin. From an aesthetic perspective, improved radiance and a more youthful complexion with even tone never hurt.
If you are seeking a go-to daily cream to balance and hydrate the skin while restoring glow and radiance and improving the appearance of any unwanted prior damage- and seeking to do so using natural ingredients devoid of any harmful ingredients- this definitely tops the list.