After trying the phenomenal Milk Makeup Sunshine Oil and “Meet The Fam” collection, the trending Cooling Water and Sunshine Oil duo began to pique my interest as one of the latest trending pieces (The Cooling Water and Sunshine Oil Set) for the vegan, gluten-free brand, which seems to make an excellent gifting option as well, and offers a great discount in comparison to retail.
Milk Makeup tends to have clean products (always free of sulfates, parabens, and harsh chemical additives), that actually provide real efficacy with daily topical use.
While using the Sunshine Oil, my skin was left fully refreshed, vibrant, more youthful in aesthetic, and more even- with the additional benefit of no breakouts, redness, irritation, or topical reactivity, even with sensitive and acne-prone skin.
This is a great gifting option and also makes a great item for those new to the brand seeking an introductory item and looking to try out a couple of bestselling products at the same time.
I was blown away by not only the products as standalone items and corresponding benefits with use, I was also quite pleased by their use in tandem, as using both products together definitely provides the skin with exponential anti-aging benefits and leaves the skin with an overall dewy aesthetic, providing glow and hydration following use.
Don’t we all want younger, softer, and dewy looking skin for less money?
This review will cover some main product features, a look at the two included items with briefer reviews, some main ingredients contained in the formulation and corresponding benefits with ongoing daily topical use.
Review: Milk Makeup Cooling Water & Sunshine Oil Set
The Milk Makeup Sunshine Oil and Cooling Water duo are travel size kit featuring the cult-favorite Sunshine Oil in a .11oz size, along with the de-puffing and refreshing .19oz Cooling Water.
From the manufacturer, “This travel-friendly set is perfect for flaunting dewy summer skin all year long. De-puff tired eyes and energize skin in an instant with the Cooling Water stick. It’s packed with sea water to soothe, and caffeine to increase micro circulation to give skin an energized look. Follow with Sunshine Oil, an oil that’s enriched with natural grapeseed, avocado, grapefruit peel, mandarin orange peel, and lemon peel oils, for the face, hair, and to hydrate from head to toe.”
While the Sunshine Oil can be used on the body and face, for longevity and fiscal reasons I traditionally only use it sparingly as a facial treatment. To date, it is one of the single best cosmetics and skincare products I have tried, and even after single-time use, the skin appears fully refreshed, hydrated, even in tone, brighter, and even signs of fine lines and wrinkles are reduced. It has a lovely fresh scent devoid of any chemical odors and is at quite a reasonable price in comparison to other oil products (which it tends to outperform) on the market.
The Cooling Water Stick is an excellent option to refresh, hydrate, and de-puff the skin. If you’re looking to brighten and illuminate, you can swipe the product under the eyes and on the face and neck for instant hydration. It definitely helps in providing a dewy and refreshed aesthetic, and works perfectly in conjunction with the included Sunshine Oil.
The set makes a great gifting option, particularly for those who enjoy vegan or gluten-free skincare products, at a very reasonable price in comparison to longevity and also for current fans of the line who are seeking variety or a travel kit.
Alternatively, you may benefit from this collection if you decide not to opt into the “Meet The Fam” starter set as an introductory item to the brand, as it’s slightly less expensive and contains two of the standout skincare products for the brand.
Milk Makeup Cooling Water & Sunshine Oil Set Items
Here is some more information and reviews on the included products in the set:
Milk Makeup Sunshine Oil
As one of the best products in the category I have tried to date, even in comparison to more expensive competitor products, Milk Makeup’s Sunshine Oil is something I would recommend to anyone searching for brightening benefits, hydration, soothing, more even texture and tone, and even anti-aging benefits.
The multi-use all-in-one rollerball product supports “hydration from head to toe,” so it can be used for the body or face. Given the cost and size, particularly within the category of travel, I tend to use mine as a standalone facial skincare product, but for those who really enjoy the texture and benefits or can afford to do so, I could definitely see this being an excellent product for the body as well (in the treatment of dry patches or irritation on the body).
It’s a suitable oil treatment solution for all skin types (including sensitive skin, barring any allergy to coconut or lemon peel in particular) that combines avocado, grapefruit peel, mandarin, and lemon peel oils to gently hydrate the skin, improve radiance and glow in those experiencing any sallowness, help achieve more even texture and provides resurfacing benefits, and helps to treat any dryness or dullness (even for the dryest skin). It can also be used in those with combination or oily skin types, as while it seems counterintuitive, it helps to restore normal oil balance to the skin while preventing breakouts, given the anti-acne formulation.
It’s also an anti-aging oil that improves the appearance of any fine lines or wrinkles in the treatment of preexisting damage, while acting as a preventative product for future damage. After ongoing topical use, you can definitely see a vast improvement in signs of finer set wrinkles, and I ended up receiving compliments almost immediately following use.
The product is paraben-free, has an eco-friendly design, and the oil formulation provides great hydration without feeling greasy or heavy on the skin. No residue is leftover, and skin is refreshed and brightened in the morning following evening use the night prior. It’s also perfect when used under a makeup routine for a more radiant and glowing finishing aesthetic.
I would highly recommend this product (for those of any skin type) looking to see results including brightening, restored radiance, anti-aging improvements, and improved tone and texture. It also feels wonderful and fresh to apply, and with that in mind it is important to avoid product overuse (as it can create redness or topical irritation, and will not improvement benefits). Generally 2-3 pumps are sufficient for the entire face and neck area, and 1 pump is suitable for a daily pick-me-up.
Milk Makeup Cooling Stick
Designed to be an anti-eye treatment to alleviate any puffiness, this multi-use product can also be used to hydrate and freshen up the skin, mixed with Sunshine Oil, and applied to the neck and face for brightening benefits and a more luminous finishing aesthetic.
In addition, it glides on smoothly and feels incredibly refreshing, never feels greasy or sticky on the face (similarly to the Sunshine Oil), and offers a great mid-day or morning pick me up. The product is formulated with caffeine and seawater that is suitable for all skin types, including sensitive skin, barring any ingredient to a specific product formulation.
Even with acne-prone and sensitive skin, I experienced no redness, reaction, acne, or irritation following use. You may opt to apply the stick applicator directly to the under eye area gently for cooling and de-puffing benefits, but if desired, you may use on the neck, face, and body for a cool burst of invigoration, and it can also be used as a primer. While used prior to a makeup application (especially in conjunction with Sunshine Oil), there is both a need for less foundation as well as a more radiant and flawless finishing aesthetic.
It’s designed to treat dry skin (but can be used for balance in combination complexion), dullness, puffiness, and uneven texture, but it’s not comparable to the vast majority of serums on the market, in terms of those seeking retroactive or more advanced anti-aging benefits. You may even opt to put the product in the fridge for a while prior to use as it feels even better to use, and lacks any “slip”. It glides on the skin gently and feels refreshing and cooling, it’s the perfect pick-me-up for tired eyes, and great for puffy eyes in the morning or after long hours at work, or perhaps after too much screen time.
As with the Sunshine Oil, a conservative amount of product provides excellent longevity benefits and value (even given the travel size nature of the product). It became a daily go-to and a product I needed to take with me in my purse to always have on hand as needed, and it is extremely hydrating. It’s important to try to resist the urge to overuse it, as it does feel quite good and you might want to keep reapplying it, similarly to its counterpart in the duo.
I would recommend this product for anyone seeking de-puffing under the eye area and a smooth and refreshed aesthetic, and it works wonderfully in conjunction with the Sunshine Oil as provided in the kit.
Milk Makeup Cooling Water & Sunshine Oil Ingredients
Especially if you are prone to sensitive skin, reactivity, acne-prone, or suffer from different allergens- or if you’re simply a fan of either clean or vegan products, it’s often as important to pay attention to ingredients in the formulations in topical products as you would a grocery list or the foods you consume. With that in mind, here is a key look at some of the main ingredients found within the products in the set and corresponding benefits with every day topical use.
Milk Makeup Sunshine Oil Ingredients:
Lemon Peel Oil
- Anti-acne benefits: lemon peel may treat existing acne and aid in the prevention of future acne and acne-causing bacteria, so this is suitable for those prone to breakouts and gentle enough for acne sufferers
- For dull or sallow skin: enhances radiance and the overall aesthetic: improves glow, radiance, clarity and hydration
- Detoxifying and anti-aging benefits: removes dead skin and stimulates new skin growth and improved turnover, helping minimize the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles
- Brightens, cleanses and lightens skin, helping achieve even tone and a brighter complexion and finishing aesthetic
- Studies suggest lemon peel in tea may even help fight cancerous skin conditions (can be injected topically)
- Anti-oily and and oil benefits: helps reduce oily skin, balances skin for combination complexion types
- Anti-acne benefits: helps prevent acne and acne-causing bacteria, including future breakouts, for those who are acne prone
- Anti-aging benefits: helps to minimize the appearance of fine lines, wrinkles, and sun spots (over time signs of hyper-pigmentation and sun spots)
- Further brightening and anti-aging benefits: helps reduce age marks, discoloration, and scar tissue
- Brightens and evens out the skin, delivering a glowy, dewy aesthetic
- Helpful in evening out overall tone of the skin, restoring texture and balance
- Soothing and cooling: has refreshing, toning properties to the skin when applied topically
- Can help in preventing or treating skin infection or minor irritation
- Promotes new skin cell growth and improved cellular turnover speed, resulting in anti-aging benefits
- For those with dry skin: is incredibly hydrating and can help provide moisture for even the dryeest complexions
Grapefruit Seed Oil
- Helps improve a multitude of skincare concerns and conditions, including acne, stretch marks, scarring, eczema, psoriasis, and even cellulite (for body- and Sunshine Oil can be used on face or body)
- Anti-acne benefits: acts as a natural antiseptic to prevent acne causing bacteria and treat existing acne
- Vitamins A, C, and E are natural antioxidants found in grapefruit seed oil, and great for skin overall skin health and aesthetic
- May kill various strains of fungi and bacteria on the skin
- Works as a suitable antimicrobial agent detoxifying
- Anti-inflammatory effects help treat and prevent acne and acne-causing bacteria
- The same anti-inflammatory properties help to minimize redness and signs of inflammation
- Anti-aging benefits: aids in the synthesis of collagen production and expedites turnover process
- May help treating small wounds and scar tissue
- Reduces all visible signs of aging (fine lines, wrinkles, sun damage)
- Treats sunburned skin for those with existing environmental damage
- Helps to calm and balance, helps calm itchy or irritated skin (given the same aforementioned anti-inflammatory properties)
- Supports hydration, great for treating dry skin and restoring hydration
- Heals and repairs damaged or chapped skin tissue
- Shields the skin from UVA radiation, may act as a natural sunscreen and help in preventative anti-aging and fighting the effects of sun damage
- Protects skin from future damage and dehydration
- Rich in Vitamin E and fatty acids, the epidermis easily absorbs these ingredients and reaps benefits
- Rich in potassium, which supports overall skin health and hydration
- Has the additional benefit of supporting nail and hair health, when used as a nail or hair oil
Milk Makeup Cooling Water Ingredients:
- Helps in treating any topical infection and decreasing bacteria on the skin, detoxifying properties
- Attracts moisture to the skin, which is very absorbing and leaves the skin smooth and soft
- Anti-acne benefits: helps prevent acne and bacteria that causes blemishes, decreasing breakouts, blackheads and whiteheads, particularly in the t-zone area
- Anti-inflammatory properties help in treating any topical redness or irritation (including those with topical conditions)
- Soothing and nourishing to the skin, cooling, and cleansing (feels refreshing upon application)
- Helps in providing a hydrating cleanse that still leaves skin smooth and free of any dirt or oil, without drying out or stripping the skin of natural oil
- Helps in depleting any lost hydration and soothes very dry skin
- Anti-aging benefits: with continual daily use over time, fights signs of aging such as fine lines, wrinkles, sun spots, and with longterm use signs of hyperpigmentation
- Helps in providing moisture to the skin that is very absorbing and provides a long moisture hold
- Suitable for both very dry skin, combination skin, sensitive skin, and acne-prone skin
- Anti-inflammatory properties: promote healing and soothing to the skin provided there is any topical irritation, damage, etc.
- Anti-acne benefits: fights acne and acne-causing bacteria, helps address and repair scarring from previous acne
- Effective healing properties to the skin, helps repair and nurture tissue, helps treat sun damage
- Anti-aging properties and benefits (for preventative concerns); aloe contains beta carotene, vitamin C and E that can help improve the skin’s natural firmness and improve elasticity
- Helps diminish the appearance of burned skin, soothes sunburns
- Works in tandem with other ingredients in the formulation to support skin health, repair, and overall hydration
- Softens and hydrates skin without clogging pores, leading to a glowing complexion and reduced pore size
Milk Makeup Cooling Water & Sunshine Oil Set Pros & Cons
While in this case from a personal perspective the pros far exceeded any cons, to remain objective and taking into consideration the reviews of others who have tried out the line with varying experiences, here is a look at some main pros and cons to bear in mind prior to purchase:
- Cruelty-free and vegan company: company never tests on any animals, uses any animal products during any manufacturing processes, or in any product formulations (including beeswax)
- Company exercises transparent and eco-friendly practices including sustainability and donations to recycling organizations
- Gluten and talc free products, for those with any specific sensitivities to those ingredients
- Significant benefits with respect to evening out tone and brightening the skin, using natural oil and no chemical whitening products (with respect to both products in the set)
- Anti aging benefits and preventative benefits are visible following use with the Sunshine Oil
- Given the formulations in the set, the products are suitable for those with acne prone skin and may help in treating and preventing future breakouts
- Excellent value in comparison to retail price, and both products provide suitable longevity benefits even with conservative daily use
- Product is free of any parabens, harsh chemical additives, and other irritating ingredients
- Neither included product broke out or irritated my sensitive and acne-prone skin, and is definitely advisable for sensitive types
- Excellent gifting option for those recipients on your list who enjoy sensitive skincare, or any skincare (especially for those who are fans of vegan cosmetics)
- Excellent option for fans of vegan cosmetics that offer actual efficacy with use and ongoing benefits with topical use
- Excellent as an introductory item for those looking to try out two bestselling skincare items, who may not be interested in investing in “Meet The Fam” yet
- If you’re already a fan of the line, this item can be a great way to try out some new products for variety and see if you’d be likely to purchase full size items
- Travel-friendly option: perfect for a trip or carry on luggage (TSA approved), and easily fits into any gym or cosmetics bag
- Considering the product category and travel-sized nature of the included products, this may still seem like a costly investment for some, however it is important to bear in mind that only daily conservative use is required, making this a set that offers value and longevity
- For those with sensitivities to citrus extract formulations or coconut oil, these products are definitely not recommended and can cause a lot of product irritation and reactivity following use, so as with any topical formulation, it’s important to spot-test prior to use
Especially considering varying skin sensitivities and concerns about trying out new facial products or topical products (particularly for fans of vegan of gluten-free cosmetics), the return policy in this case may be a highly important factor for you.
The manufacturer, Milk Makeup, has a strong return and exchange policy that honors full refunds upon dissatisfaction or allergy, and this policy favors the consumer, both new and returning.
If you are dissatisfied with the use of either of the skincare products in the set, or if they do not work for your skin to provide suitable hydrating, brightening, or general benefits, or you experience any product allergy or reaction to the formulation, you may elect to return it at any time.
In this case, you will receive a full refund equal to the entire purchase price of the item. If the item was received as a gift (without receipt), the policy applies for an even exchange, and this policy is applicable to online purchase, as individual store policy may vary depending on location and distributer.
If you feel the policy if not taken into consideration, you may contact customer service, and you can remain ensured you will receive a full refund. It’s important to take into considering the entire set will need to be returned as the policy does not apply for refund or exchange with individual items contained within the set, providing you only enjoyed one.
I was happy to discover that all of the formulations were gentle enough to use even with very sensitive skin and did not cause any breakouts, but due to various concerns or sensitivity issues this policy may help assuage fears, as individual allergies are highly variable. They are all dermatologist tested and approved, designed for even those who suffer from different topical afflictions and conditions (excluding those with citrus or coconut oil extract allergens)
Milk Makeup Cooling Water & Sunshine Oil Set: Worth It?
Both the Sunshine Oil and Cooling Water stick provided in Milk Makeup’s travel duo set work in tandem to deliver excellent hydrating benefits, as well as brightening up the entire complexion, providing a suitable barrier on the skin to protect from future damage, anti-aging benefits, improved vibrancy for those with dry or sallow skin types, and restored tone and texture.
Additionally, the line is entirely vegan, gluten-free, and cruelty-free, with transparent and eco-friendly practices, and formulations that always remain clean and devoid of harsh chemical additives.
With that in mind, the products are suitable and great for those of all or any skin type, and the product itself makes a lovely gifting option for those on your list who enjoy skincare, or as a starter set if you have not previously tried the line before. You may also wish to purchase the item to break down the included products into smaller, stocking-stuffer type gifts.
Both the Sunshine Oil and Cooling Water make the perfect duo for those seeking fresh and repaired complexions, soft dewy glows, and vast improvements in skincare tone, texture, quality, and overall health.
Overall, highly recommended and 5/5 stars!
Users will be very likely to purchase the full sizes prior to use, which is the only single warning!