Review: LUSH “R&B” Hair Moisturizer (Hair Therapy?)
LUSH Cosmetics is a name that rings bells for organic products that require refrigeration and fizzy bath bombs that look like rainbows and wild unicorns, along with the infamous rose jam body wash that sells of the shelves every holiday season the minute it’s out (and yes, it smells exactly like sweet jam, holiday nostalgia and rose petals).
But LUSH is also fairly well known for a solid collection of skincare and haircare products, with the “R&B” Hair Moisturizer taking a top spot as a most popular item for the company. While I haven’t previously tried the brand outside of body products and bombs, it’s hard not to take notice of the huge following the brand claims for this hair product also. So what does it do, who is it good for and how effective is it?
We reviewed to see.
This bestseller is a leave-in treatment product that can be used in (ideally wet) clean hair to control frizzy and unruly hair types or smooth out “flyaways.” The hair finishing treatment blends smoothing, softening organic ingredients of avocado butter, oatmeal, olive oil, extra virgin coconut oil, jojoba oil and candelilla wax. These form a harmonious union and act as an extremely effective conditioner for the scalp and hair, leaving hair soft and radiant. Jasmine and orange blossom scents pair to give the product its distinctive, fresh scent.
The product is said to work well with African-American, wavy, frizzy, color-treated, or curly hair types because it acts as a deep conditioner and fully restores hydration.
For girls and guys like myself seeking therapy for frizzy, curly hair, this product is truly a must-have.
Review: LUSH “R&B” Hair Moisturizer
This LUSH hair staple is a must-have for curly, dry, color-treated or unruly hair types. While it can be used with any hair type safely, it’s formulation is certainly most beneficial to curly hair or that which requires taming. The treatment is applied to damp hair after use of a regular shampoo and conditioner, but differs from an oil and has a creamier texture and a lovely smell. While it can be used on dry hair as well, the most benefits are typically enjoyed if applied to wet strands. It is gentle and suitable for daily use. It is also formulated with all natural ingredients and oils and fats found in nature. Results are visible after a single use, with hair left shiny, tamed, hydrated and soft. Fans typically describe the product as one of “control,” when frizz, damage or flyaways take over and the hair is in need of some serious R&R.
LUSH “R&B” Hair Moisturizer Ingredients & Benefits
LUSH creates an effective and powerful cocktail of all organic ingredients that help restore moisture, hydration and fully revive damaged hair.
A look at some of the main ingredients and their benefits to the hair:
- Manufactured from the fruit of an avocado tree and then hydrogenated to manufacture a soft butter, this ingredient helps to nourish and soften dry, damaged, and curly hair types
- Moisture binding components keep hair soft for long periods of time
- Nourishes the hair and scalp with vitamins and minerals for optimal hair health
- Penetrates hair cuticle to fortify strands from the root, saturated fats improve the delivery (as compared to oils)
- Boosts natural shine and radiance, revives dullness
- Strengthens hair, prevents hair loss and encourages volume/volume restoration (while still working for thick or curly hair)
- Acts as a super conditioner, repairing brittle or weak strands fully
- Soothes scalp itch or irritation (there’s a reason why children with eczema are put in oatmeal baths, thank god)
- Moisturizes curly or unruly hair, hydrates any hair type
- Helps moisturize the scalp and hair
- Acts as a remedy for dandruff or flakiness, improves dandruff
- Promotes volume/thickness of hair, body may be restored to the hair
- Many claim it can prevent hair loss and promote volume because the oil moisturizers hair follicles, preventing dryness leading to potential loss
- Rich in antioxidants for hydration and nourishment
- Rich in vitamins and nutrients that heal, repair and nurture hair
- Candelilla wax is a vegetable wax and substitution for beeswax (vegan product)
- Acts as a scalp treatment, aiding any itch, irritation and soothing skin
- Softens and protects hair
- Helps restore shine, luster and radiance to the hair from the root down
- Vitamins and essential fatty acids in coconut oil nourish the scalp and help to remove sebum build-up from follicles, leading to balance
- Helps promote natural and healthy hair growth
- Helps prevent future hair loss by restoring nutrients to the scalp
About LUSH: “R&B” Hair Moisturizer
Companies typically have a single page story with some background and information about the business founder, inception and core values. LUSH has a page with several stories, ranging from charitable contributions, to values, to “innovation vs globalization.” Suffice to say this is a company that prides itself on multiple stories that cater to every demographic with a strong core culture. LUSH prides itself on being a fully vegan, organic company with products made in nature and untampered with. Not only are they cruelty with no animal testing, they use substitutes for any product related to life forms (i.e. beeswax). They have multiple purchase products where portions of sales are donated to various charitable contributions, including efforts that support creating organic, sustainable living. They are very strongly rooted in grassroots initiatives. No preservatives are used in any product and ingredients are never manipulated. LUSH has a long history concerning fighting animal testing, and remains a rare company that vocalizes this without concern about a political issue with a sister-company. Ultimately, a very transparent approach to business.
Money Back Guarantee
If a customer is not happy with the product, LUSH will refund 100% of the product price in full, or exchange for a more suitable product. This applies to allergic reaction, skin reaction, hair concerns or overall discontent.
LUSH “R&B” Hair Moisturizer: Positives and Negatives
- Delivers excellent repair, shine and full restoration to unruly or damaged hair
- Excellent option for curly hair types seeking shine and control
- Excellent for controlling frizz
- Restores luster, promotes healthy growth, delivers shine
- Formulated with all natural ingredients
- Formulated with a wide variety of different ingredients that vary widely from most similar products on the market
- Free of any parabens, silicones, sulfates or mineral oil
- Very gentle for skin or scalp sensitivities
- May weigh the hair down or be too heavy for those with straight or fine hair types, the product is more suitable for curly, wavy or unruly locks
LUSH “R&B” Hair Moisturizer: Is It Worth It?
LUSH’s R&B Hair Moisturizing Treatment is a winner for anyone with frizzy, curly or unruly hair. It’s a true mane-tamer and game changer for those seeking a solution in treating “out of control” hair. The product smells lovely, and is quite effective at softening and strengthening the hair quality. A big standout with this product and brand is the commitment to organic ingredients free of any preservatives and never manipulated. Fans and new users alike can take comfort in using a product right from nature, while restoring moisture and life to the hair and scalp.
It’s also great to try something from a transparent company with strong cultural values, other than a (still amazing) bath bomb or soap product.
R&B delivers R&R to locks, in this case.
Us girls with curly, unruly, or frizzy locks can rejoice! This product truly rocks!