When using products to cleanse the skin in the shower, we typically think of scrubs, soaps and body gels. French skincare company L’Occitane has developed a product with a cult following that deviates from the norm with their Almond Shower Oil.
While facial cleansing oils have become popular and are trending on the market, body cleansing oils are a bit more obscure. We tested and reviewed this product to see if it would live up to the hype and price sticker.
I remain highly inquisitive and open to testing new products, although being ever-inundated with cosmetics marketing does begin to make some products seem superfluous. Such was not the case this time with L’Occitane’s offering, we see it as a unique product with full hydrating benefits to the skin, a lovely scent, and a deep cleanser.
Seeking a more succinct product description? To minimize any confusion, this oil turns into a cleanser with a slightly foamy texture, cleansing the skin and restoring hydration at once. We reviewed to help you make an informed choice prior to point of sale
L’Occitane Almond Shower Oil: Background
Manosque-based company L’Occitane en Provence (with the founders roots in Provence), whose main corporate headquarters are stationed in France, offers naturally based products that are safe and effective for the face and body.
The Almond Shower Oil is certainly a brand standout with a lot of hype and recommendation. The company name stands for “the women of Occitan.” With shops in over 90 countries, the brand has enjoyed major success and a loyal following.
Customers may also enjoy the companies philanthropic nature, they’ve partnered with organizations throughout Burkina Faso to help educate young women. They also invest in organizations that support the blind, and (little known fact) every single product is engraved with brail.
Certain product offerings donate 100% of funds to charitable organizations with merit. The company is cruelty free and does not test any products on animals.
Review: L’Occitane Almond Shower Oil
L’Occitanes Almond Shower Oil transforms into a soothing, soft foam and deep-cleanses the body while replenishing moisture and hydrating the skin. Leaves the skin smooth, silky and refreshed. The scent is adored by many and natural, it does not smell overpowering or have a chemical/perfume odor.
All natural ingredients deliver a product of excellent quality. It can be used by any skin type and even sensitive skin, barring any allergies to almond product. I’m obsessed with the quality and “baby-soft” feeling delivered to my skin after use. The smell is also a treat.
If you’re comparison shopping and looking for other products to pair with the shower gel, we recommend following with Aveeno’s Daily Moisturizing Lotion or Kai’s Body Butter for a really special treat!
You might also like L’Occitane’s Shea Butter Hand Cream that we previously reviewed with flying colors.
L’Occitane: Money-Back Guarantee
Customers make take solace in the easy return policy. L’Occitane offers a full refund of purchase product price if any concerns, dissatisfaction or allergic reaction occur. Customers purchasing for the first time with any trepidation may have fears assuaged by the commitment to a full refund in the event of any product concerns.
L’Occitane Almond Shower: Positives and Negatives
- Nourishes skin leaving it soft, clean, and supple
- Multi-functional: can be used as a hand wash, shower gel, or even lavish shaving oil
- The ability to deep-cleanse the skin and hydrate at the same time
- Ability to treat even very dry skin without added steps or lotion
- The ability to eliminate a lotion or body cream and save time
- Lovely scent- sweet almond, not overpowering or “perfume-like”
- Skin is noticeably softer, more supple and well hydrated
- Formula is not greasy, sticky and does not leave any residue or build-up
- Rich in soothing oils that benefit skin texture
- Lathers as a regular gel or soap would (with not quite as much foam/suds)
- Product longevity: even with regular use, customers can expect the product to last weeks-months
- Suitable and gentle enough for sensitive skin, does not irritate acne-prone skin
- Eliminates any “flakiness” or dullness to the skin
- Almond has firming properties, making it somewhat anti-aging in nature
- Appreciated by men and women alike
- Customers with sensitivity or allergy to almond should not purchase the product
- Some may prefer a formula with more foam or suds
- Cost- it is definitely pricey, should be used conservatively
L’Occitane Almond Shower Oil: Ingredients & Benefits
The product formulation is mostly sweet almond oil, cleansing agents and an infusion of other naturally-based oils and extracts.
Here are some ingredients in the product and their main benefits with use:
Sweet Almond Oil
- Packed with Vitamin E, which may help treat preexisting and future sun damage
- Antioxidant properties that combat free radicals, it can act as a damage protectant from the sun when applied topically
- Improves dry skin and prevents flaking/cracking
- May help with treating acne scars with continual use over time
- Naturally fights aging by fighting free radicals, sun damage and promoting hydration
- May help in the treatment of eczema and psoriasis
- Promotes deep cleansing of skin
- Promotes flawless, smooth skin
- Treats skin rashes
- Anti-aging, has firming and smoothing properties
- Anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties
- Protects skin cells from free-radical damage and cancer-causing DNA changes
- Acts as a natural disinfectant
- Promotes moisture and hydration, helps bind moisture into the skin
Grape Seed Oil
- High in in linoleic acid, which has been thought to reduce clogged pores
- Packed with antioxidants
- Antioxidants help treat and prevent acne
- Rich in vitamins C, D, and E, all of which help in reducing wrinkles and scars
L’Occitane Almond Shower Oil: The Final Verdict
Overall this product makes an excellent addition to any bathroom, shower and has become one of my favorite go-to’s for maintaining well hydrated skin without stripping the skin or using an overly-astringent product. Most soaps contain binding agents that naturally dehydrate the skin, leaving it dull and dry.
With this product you get all of the same great benefits of any typical gel or soap with an added bonus of soft, supple skin. The scent is lovely, without being overly harsh or “obnoxious.” You may even be able to save time by eliminating the step of a body cream following a shower. The almond itself is very calming, and suitable for an evening bath to wind down or an early shower to decompress prior to the workday.
L’Occitane offers some cult-favorite products, including their famed hand cream, and this product similarly does not disappoint. A great point of purchase is the ability to use this with any skin type.
Those with dryer skin will find the product has an excellent moisture hold and deeply nourishes the skin, while those with oiler types may find they can easily retain balance (as counterintuitively the skin will even out and not overproduce oil on its own with the addition of an oil as an external agent).
I would highly recommend this product if you’re willing to shell out a little extra, as it’s quite the treat and has a decadent flair.