Review: Drunk Elephant Beste Jelly Cleanser (#1 For Acne-Prone Skin?)
When I discovered Drunk Elephant’s Beste Jelly Cleanser it was a bit of a miracle worker, in the sense that the tiniest amount of product foamed up into an entire face lather and I had never met a cleansing product that brightened my skin so quickly before.
Formulated for all skin types and gentle enough for even the most sensitive and acne-prone types, and ideal for removing all traces of makeup, dirt, oil, and debris without stripping or drying out the skin in any way.
Gentle enough to suit all skin types while removing all traces of debris and makeup, this cleanser also feels heavenly to apply and is a perfect one step morning and night routine before a serum and moisturizer (if desired).
While as a self-proclaimed beauty junkie, just like many of you reading this, we are always hearing about the next best cleanser or moisturizing product on the market, this one is truly a standout and feels like rinsing the skin with clean purified water, it simply leaves you looking radiant and fully brightened within a single wash.
Why is this cleanser different than all the rest? We reviewed so you wouldn’t have to.
Review: Drunk Elephant Beste Jelly Cleanser
Drunk Elephant’s Beste No. 9 Jelly Cleanser is a 5oz gel cleanser safe for all types of skin that foams up into a rich lather within seconds (and only takes about 1-2 drops of product to do so and clean the entire face and neck).
It leaves the skin feeling hydrated and refreshed, and looking clean and vibrant after first time use, and is so gentle it is safe for even the most sensitive skin types, including those who suffer from acne and topical conditions.
Even with very dry skin, I did not find it stripping to the skin at all, and rather my skin was left feeling very soft and smooth after use, with a more even tone and texture, and products used after seemed to absorb into the skin better.
It removed all traces of makeup without any signs of debris or gunk leftover, and felt luxurious to apply and remove (my favorite way to remove it is with a hot towel), but it’s fine to go with the regular lukewarm water route.
This is one cleanser that the manufacturer claims can be used in the night alone, if you don’t want to use a twice daily cleansing routine (although I used it twice per day without any tightness or stripping effects).
For those with combination or oily skin, it’s great for oil control, but provides balance for those with dry skin as well, and even with very sensitive and acne-prone skin, never caused any breakouts, rashes, redness, irritation, or irritation.
One of my favorite product features was how long it actually lasts. Because of how little product is required for use, it’s shelf-life is incredible, which adds value.
Additionally, even after using it just one time, results are visible on the skin.
How Do I Use Review: Drunk Elephant Beste Jelly Cleanser?
- Squeeze Beste No. 9 into palm and gently massage over wet or dry skin, it will turn into a foamy lather
- Add water to lather further and spread across neck and face
- Rinse well and pat dry or remove with a warm towel or cloth
- Finish with serum and moisturizer as an evening treatment
- Finish with skincare routine and primer and foundation/makeup in the AM if and as desired
Drunk Elephant Beste Jelly Cleanser Ingredients
Especially for those of us with sensitive, dry, or acne-prone skin, it can be as important to check the ingredients in the skincare products we use as we would the groceries we purchase and the foods we eat, with that in mind, here are a look at some key ingredients contained in the Jelly Cleanser and their main benefits with topical use:
Virgin Marula Oil
- Anti-aging benefits: rich in antioxidants, virgin marula oil helps treat signs of fine lines, wrinkles, sun damage, and sun spots
- Anti-acne benefits: antimicrobial properties help to treat signs of breakouts and acne, and fight the bacteria that causes acne
- Provides deep hydration and a strong moisture hold to the skin, great for treating dry skin
- Helps provide a barrier against the sun and prevent against free radical damage and sun exposure damage
- Helps treat scars and signs of acne scarring
- Rich in vitamins C and E, oleic acid, omega-9 fatty acid, antioxidants, flavonoids that support overall skin health and circulation
- Can help in the treatment of topical conditions, particularly eczema
Omega Fatty Acids
- Locks in a long acting moisture barrier to the skins surface (preventative anti-aging)
- Hydrates the skin, helps in maintaining smoothness and softness
- Stimulates production of collagen, helping anti-aging benefits like decreases in fine lines and wrinkles
- Protects skin from future UV damage and sun exposure
- Increases hydration and moisture, which binds into the skin
- Promotes healthy PH balance to the skin, helping oily/combination, and dry skin types alike
- Helps in preventing acne-causing bacteria and preventing breakouts in acne-prone skin
- Promotes healthy skin aesthetic, improving overall radiance and glow
- Brightens the skin and improves clarity
- Helps in depleting any lost hydration and soothes very dehydrated, parched, or irritated skin
- Helps in providing moisture to the skin that is very absorbing and provides a long moisture hold
- Suitable for both very dry skin, helps seal and lock in moisture into the surface of the skin
- Anti-aging benefits: treats signs of fine lines, wrinkles, deeper set wrinkles, sun damage, sun spots, and with longterm everyday topical use signs of hyperpigmentation and various pigmentation issues
- Helps to even out both tone and texture, restoring overall balance
- Anti-inflammatory properties help in treating any topical redness or irritation (including those with topical conditions)
- Soothing and nourishing to the skin, cooling, and cleansing (feels refreshing upon application)
- Helps in providing a hydrating cleanse that still leaves skin smooth and free of any dirt or oil, without drying out or stripping the skin of natural oil
- Helps in treating any topical infection and decreasing bacteria on the skin, detoxifying properties
- Attracts moisture to the skin, which is very absorbing and leaves the skin smooth and soft
- Anti-acne benefits: helps prevent acne and bacteria that causes blemishes, decreasing breakouts, blackheads and whiteheads, particularly in the t-zone area
Cantaloupe Fruit Extract
- Antioxidants prevent the skin from damage from the sun and environment
- Reduces redness, irritation and inflammation (calming and soothing)
- Helps promote vibrance and restores natural glow
- Works with the other ingredients in the formula to support overall skin health and brightening benefits
Drunk Elephant Beste Jelly Cleanser Pros & Cons
While I felt the majority of uses and benefits with use, plus ingredients, of Drunk Elephant’s Jelly Cleanser, were very positive, some reviewers found the product to be drying to the skin and found the needed extra moisturizer after use. With that said, it is also incredibly mild and gentle for those with sensitive and acne prone skin, and some have even claimed it has helped them treat and soothe their breakouts over time. The main downside with this product for me was the price point, although the tiniest amount of product seems to go an incredibly long way per use, adding to value and longevity over time.
With that in mind, here are some key pros and cons to bear in mind prior to purchase:
- Leaves the skin feeling incredibly soft, smooth, and restored
- Cruelty-free company: Drunk Elephant does not test their products on any animals, use any animal product in any of their formulations, or during any of their manufacturing processes
- The Jelly Cleanser does not contain any parabens, sulfates, harsh chemical additives, or irritating binding agents
- Safe and suitable for all skin types, including sensitive and acne prone
- Great for oil control in oily and combination types, yet still hydrating and soothing for those with dry skin
- Gets rid of all dirt, oil, makeup, debris, and even eye makeup (provides a deep cleanse) without any tightening or stripping of the skin
- A very tiny amount of product goes a long way: a small amount creates a large amount of foam and lather that rinses the entire skin and cleanses the entire face
- Brightness and clarity: after a single use the entire face is left bright, cleansed and fully restored in appearance, perfect for those who are experiencing any dryness or dullness
- Very soothing and gentle for those with acne and acne prone skin, and some have commented on a decrease in the amounts of breakouts they experience with use
- While this cleanser can be used for AM or PM use, this is one cleanser that can be used during the night alone if desired (skipping morning washes, as per the manufacturer)
- Some found the cleanser to be drying to the skin after use (with dry skin I did not have this experience, but did not it was a common complaint)
- Price point: the price point for a cleanser and this item is definitely not quite as pretty as the results, however, the product itself lasts so long because a tiny pea-sized amount turns into a foam that is enough to clean the entire face and neck, adding value, and the product is formulated with extremely clean and high quality ingredients
Drunk Elephant’s Money-Back Guarantee Policy
If you have very sensitive or acne-prone skin (or price barriers are a concern given this item’s cost for you) or have not used Drunk Elephant products in the past, the return and exchange policy in this case may be a highly important factor for you.
The manufacturer, Drunk Elephant, has a strong return and exchange policy that honors full refunds upon dissatisfaction or allergy, and this policy favors the consumer, both new and returning.
If you are dissatisfied with the use of Drunk Elephant’s Jelly Cleanser, or if it does not work for your skin to provide suitable skincare, cleansing and general hydrating benefits, or you experience any product allergy or reaction to the formulation, you may elect to return it at any time.
In this case, you will receive a full refund equal to the entire purchase price of the item, if purchased via Amazon (it can’t be guaranteed to apply to individual stores or merchants).
In this case, the formulation of the Jelly Cleanser was quite gentle enough to use even with very sensitive and acne-prone skin and did not cause any irritation or breakouts, and it is designed to be extremely light for all types of skin, but spot testing is definitely recommended with this product, as with any topical treatment item.
Drunk Elephant Beste Jelly Cleanser: Worth It Winner?
We’re all looking for a daily soothing cleanser than will go the distance (and last on our bathroom shelves forever without needing to keep buying it), and brightened up the face in no time.
Drunk Elephant’s Beste No. 9 Jelly Cleanser was a worth it winner for us because of the fine ingredients used in the formulation, the lasting power of the product itself, and the deep cleanse it provided without being drying to the face.
It’s also incredibly light and gentle, works for all skin types, and many reviewers claim it helps calm their acne-prone skin. It’s one of the best lightweight, yet most effective cleansers I have tried that provides instant brightening and clarity benefits.
When finished with your favorite serum and moisturizer, this makes a perfect daily staple in your routine and is highly recommended!