Tatcha is well known for their collection of anti-aging skincare and simple regimens that soothe and nourish, but Tatcha’s Silk Canvas is one of the buzziest new products- with countless beauty Vloggers and social media beauty bloggers raving about the anti-aging silk-pressed primer.
Infused with silk, the pressed primer can be used on the lips, eyes, and entire face. It promises to make pores and wrinkles disappear, while helping restore a more radiant complexion and supporting anti-aging benefits.
It’s definitely a solid multi-use product that requires minimal application for a full face of use as a cosmetics primer, and also has great benefits as a skincare product.
So despite the buzz and hype, does it live up to the cost?
After receiving a convincing recommendation from a trusted industry friend, I wanted to try this product out to see if it was worthy of it flying off shelves (which it typically does).
While this was my first time using a pressed primer product, I was fairly blown away by the longevity and benefits- in terms of both its use as a primer and skincare product.
So if you’re looking for glowing, younger looking skin and a perfect starting canvas, you may want to splurge on Tatcha’s Silk Canvas, but there’s no turning back.
Review: Tatcha Silk Canvas
Tatcha’s Silk Canvas is a 20g pressed primer designed to treat signs of oiliness, large pore size, and dull skin or uneven texture.
Before we begin, make sure you’re ordering Tatcha from a legitimate retailer, NOT from a counterfeit seller. For your convenience, here is the Amazon link to an authentic Tatcha retailer.
The product is formulated using fine-pressed silk and other natural ingredients and works as both a skincare treatment and pre-makeup primer for a perfect starting canvas.
Silk Canvas launched and quickly became a hit amongst loyal fans and new customers alike, for its ability to smoothen and soften the skin, provide anti-aging benefits, and deliver incredible priming benefits that leaves the skin with a flawless finish after your makeup application.
It’s designed for all skin types (including sensitive and acne-prone), and I had no problems using it with sensitive skin. In fact, it wasn’t even irritating when applied on top of blemishes.
I found Silk Canvas really did live up to the fan following, and was the softest, gentlest, and (dare I say) best primer I have ever used.
The only sticky part about this product is its price point.
But with that said, after applying (a very minimal amount of product), your skin looks smoother, softer, more even, brighter, and radiant. It absolutely changes the finish of your makeup application. Less makeup is required for use in general, and the finish is much softer, warmer, and more radiant. It is truly a perfect and silky canvas- worthy of its reviews.
In addition to that, my skin felt smoother, softer, and looked brighter in general while using the product, and my pores were basically invisible.
If you’re looking for other products to help minimize pore size, try reading our review about Thayers Witch Hazel Toner here!
While I was always a bit of a skeptic in the primer category, especially splurging for one, this product truly makes a huge difference in the overall finishing look- and despite the price point, after you try it once, you can’t go back.
Tatcha Silk Canvas Ingredients
Tatcha’s Silk Canvas is designed with ingredients formulated to support anti-aging benefits and improve signs of radiance and hydration, while restoring texture and tone, in addition to being a cosmetics primer.[easyazon_infoblock align=”none” identifier=”B079NRPHK2″ key=”image” locale=”US” tag=”reviewing-20″]
Here are a look at some key ingredients contained in Silk Canvas and corresponding benefits with use for the skin:
Tatcha’s proprietary trio of Japanese anti-aging superfoods can’t be found in any other product, and is fully exclusive to the brand.
The patented formula contains a blend of green tea, rice and algae, and helps with anti-aging benefits, as well as restoring radiant glow and delivery a soft, dewy complexion. Benefits of the ingredients are listed below. Fans of the product enjoy purchasing a skincare treatment that not only works, but can’t be found anywhere else.
- Dense with nutrients and minerals that benefit overall skin health
- Helps in removing toxins from the skin, including dead skin and debris
- Hydrates, softens, detoxifies while providing suitable hydration benefits
- Suitable for all skin types and very gentle and nourishing
- Replenishes vitamins and minerals to the skin, supporting overall skin health
- Anti-aging benefits- helps minimize the appearance of sun damage, deeper set lines, fine lines, and wrinkles
- Vitamin E (found in green tea extract) supports skin cell growth and expedites cellular turnover while hydrating the skin for anti-aging benefits, providing moisture benefits for all skin types, even very dry skin, safe for sensitive skin
- Soothing and nourishing to damaged or burned skin
- Hydrates any depleted moisture to help balance and soften skin
- Helps balance skins texture to restore balance and even out tone
- B2 contained in green tea extract helps maintains structure and firmness to the skin, anti-aging properties including minimizing the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles
- With continual long term use over time, may help minimize the appearance of any sun spots or signs of hyper-pigmentation
- Antibacterial agent that treats and prevents acne and breakouts, prevents the formation of new acne and acne causing bacteria (read our review on Neutrogena’s anti-acne wash here)
- Protects against free radical damage in the environment, creating a protective barrier on the skin, working in tandem with other ingredients
- Preventative anti-aging benefits- protects the skin from UVB rays and prevent sun damage
- Works in tandem with the other ingredients in the formulation to support overall skin health and restore radiance and glow
- Helps restore hydration in very dry skin
- Helps reduce blemishes and acne, as well as fighting acne causing bacteria which leads to new breakouts, for those with acne-prone skin
- Contains flavonoid compounds and natural antioxidants that benefit skin health
- Helps even out skin tone and texture
How Do I Use Tatcha Silk Canvas?
To use Tatcha’s Silk Canvas, you can follow these simple steps:
- Glide the spatula lightly across the top of balm to remove product
- Only use a rice-sized amount for the whole face (a small amount will cover the entire face)
- Using your fingers, dot the formula on the forehead, nose, chin, eyelids, and cheeks
- Gently massage the Silk Canvas product onto your face and allow it to melt and absorb into the skin before applying foundation or any other makeup products
Other helpful tips:
- The Silk Canvas should be used following your AM skincare routine
- You can use it on your face, eyes, and lips
- You can use it without makeup simply to even out skin texture and tone
- You can use it with any cream, liquid, and powder makeups
Tatcha Silk Canvas Pros and Cons
Here are some key pros and cons to bear in mind prior to purchase:
- Multi-use benefits as a primer and a skincare product: helps to promote radiance and anti-aging benefits, while priming the skin prior to makeup application for a more perfect finish
- Helps minimize the appearance of pore size and wrinkles, so foundation does not cling to these areas, erases all imperfections (pores seem invisible after use)
- Only a very small amount of product is needed in comparison to most primers- adding to longevity (lasts for 6+ months with daily use)
- Skincare benefits include anti-aging benefits and improve signs of radiance and hydration (like Tatcha’s The Water Cream)
- Less foundation and makeup product is needed after using the primer
- The Silk Canvas is highly breathable and lightweight, and feels soft and silky on the skin
- Cruelty-free company: company does not test on any animals, use any animal products in any of its manufacturing processes, or in any of its product formulations
- A portion of all product proceeds for Tatcha products are donated to charitable causes, primarily helping young girls learn to read in developing nations, in an attempt to increase literacy rates and decrease poverty levels
- Helps treat oily/combination spots and shine zones
- Evens out skin tone and texture
- Suitable for all skin types, including sensitive and acne-prone (I did not experience any redness, reaction, or breakouts using the product even with sensitive and acne-prone skin)
- Long wear: lasts all day (12+ hours on the skin) without spills or slips
- The Silk Canvas comes with an applicator disk that can be used to apply the product, so you use the exact correct amount
- Skin feels smooth, soft, and hydrated following use
- Never feels heavy, greasy, or sticky on the skin
- Free of parabens, sulfates, and harsh chemical irritants
- In this case, the only major downside is the price point, while in comparison to every other primer I have used much less product is needed for use and it lasts for an extremely long time, it’s still quite the initial splurge
Tatcha’s Money-Back Guarantee
If you have very sensitive skin (or price barriers are a concern given this particular item) or have not used Tatcha products in the past, the return and exchange policy in this case may be a highly important factor for you.
The manufacturer, Tatcha, has a strong return and exchange policy that honors full refunds upon dissatisfaction or allergy, and this policy favors the consumer, both new and returning.
If you are dissatisfied with the use of the The Silk Canvas, or if it does not work for your skin to provide suitable hydrating skincare and cosmetic benefits, or you experience any product allergy or reaction to the formulation, you may elect to return it at any time.
In this case, you will receive a full refund equal to the entire purchase price of the item.
In this case, the formulation of Silk Canvas (as with most Tatcha products I have tried in the past, like The Essence) was gentle enough to use even with very sensitive and acne-prone skin and did not cause any irritation or breakouts, but due to any personal sensitivity concerns this policy may help assuage fears, as individual allergies are highly variable.
Tatcha Silk Canvas: Is It Worth It?
Despite the sticky price point, Silk Canvas is a smooth dream to apply and a perfect primer and skincare product in one.
It leaves the skin looking dewy, bright, refreshed, smooth, even in tone and texture, and more radiant (with or without the use of makeup).
When used as a primer, it’s truly the perfect canvas for a flawless finish, and creates a base to work with that allows for a more radiant and soft, glowing appearance.
My skin felt and looked amazing, and while the price point wasn’t quite as pretty, the minimal product is required for use, so it lasts 6+ months, and definitely felt worth it.
If you’re a newbie to pressed primers it’s also very easy to use and mess-free.
Tatcha’s Silk Canvas lives up to its hype and gets a 5/5, creating a perfect base for all complexions.