Review: TATCHA Violet-C Radiance Mask (Purple Bliss?)
TATCHA is a brand I have come to know and love for both their skincare products, which are all formulated with natural ingredients and devoid of any parabens or harsh chemical additives and suitable for sensitive skin, as well as their charitable contributions.
A portion of proceeds from every product are donated to helping girls learn to read in impoverished nations, helping to improve employment opportunities to alleviate poverty. It’s quite rare to see a brand give back and do so with every single product sale, which makes the higher price point seem more valuable, and the company seems to have a very solid mission with transparent practices.
The products are also never tested on any animals, and the brand makes an effort to be environmentally conscious. In addition to that, the products are soothing and gentle, and actually live up to initial claims of benefits.
While I love and have reviewed the infamous Water Cream, Camelia Cleansing Oil, and Gentle Rice Enzyme Powder in the past (amongst other products), after receiving a sample and reading about the Violet-C Radiance Mask, I knew my credit card was in store for another workout.
While the product is definitely not cheap, the benefits of use are quite remarkable, and the mask definitely lasts for quite some time, as not much product is required to apply to the entire face and neck area, and daily use is not required or recommended.
This review will cover a product overview and main features, the ingredients found in the formulation and corresponding skincare benefits following topical application, some main pros and cons to bear in mind prior to purchase, and a final verdict, to help you make a more informed purchasing decision.
Review: TATCHA Violet-C Radiance Mask
TATCHA’s Violet-C Radiance Mask is a rich and creamy anti-aging treatment that is designed to be left on the skin for 15-20 minutes and comes in a 50ml size (a trial size is also available for lower cost, but the value ratio is also much lower).
Designed to promote a younger and more radiant complexion, the mask also treats uneven texture, dullness, dryness, dark spots, and fine lines or wrinkles. Contained in the formulation is a unique proprietary blend of ingredients, as well as water-soluble and oil-soluble Vitamin C, to firm and brighten the skin.
It works immediately and visible results can be seen after first-time use. All of the ingredients found in the formulation are clean and natural, and it is safe for even very sensitive skin.
It’s also suitable for oily or combination skin as it does not promote grease or added shine, but also helps restore hydration for those who are dry. After using the product for the first time, I noticed my skin was left clean and baby-soft, but also brightened and appeared much more radiant.
Using it continually over time (in conjunction with other products), I definitely noticed my skin looked great, refreshed, smooth, and did appear younger-looking as well. I would recommend this if you’re seeking a Vitamin C treatment, or if you’re seeking brightening and anti-aging benefits but have sensitive or breakout prone skin. The texture is rich without being greasy or sticky, and the product last for quite some time as not much is required to treat the entire face.
TATCHA Violet-C Radiance Mask: Ingredients
The ingredients found in the formulation of the Violet-C Radiance Mask work in tandem to restore and improve hydration, brighten the skin, and help promote radiance for those with dull skin. They are safe and suitable for all skin types, including sensitive skin, and have calming and nourishing properties.
Here is a look at some of the key ingredients found in the formulation and their benefits with continual topical use:
Mild Fruit AHA
- Exfoliating benefits: works harmoniously with other ingredients in the formulation to remove any oil, dirt, debris, and buildup on the skin
- Helps promote a smoother, softer aesthetic
- Helps to brighten the skin and improve radiance for anyone experiencing dullness
- Helps in treating sallow or uneven skin
- Provides the skin with a barrier to protect from damage, neutralizes the damage of free radicals
- Anti-aging benefits: helps expedite the cellular turnover process and improve skin elasticity, helping promote a younger and firmer aesthetic and overall appearance
- Helps promote a firmer, smoother aesthetic
- Helps treat signs of dullness or sallowness
- Protects skin from sun damage naturally and heals from prior damage from the sun and environment, created by toxins or pollution
- Helps restore brightness and glow to the complexion and reduces signs of uneven tone and discoloration, promoting an even and smooth overall tone
- Over time with continual daily use, helps minimize and decrease the appearance of hyper-pigmentation and sun spots
- Aids in repairing any depleted hydration, suitable for very dry skin or dehydrated skin
- Acts as an anti-inflammatory and expedites healing rates of all wounds, rashes, or any irritation, as well as redness
- Helps treat sunburns as well as red skin (not created by sun damage)
- Anti-aging benefits: antioxidant-rich vitamin C helps boost collagen production and elasticity, diminishing the appearance of any wrinkles or lines
Tatcha’s proprietary blend of Japanese anti-aging superfoods is completely unique to the brand and trademarked, so you will not find it any other cosmetics product or found in the product of a different company or manufacturer. It contains green tea, rice and algae, which work together in tandem to restore a a radiant glow and delivery a soft, dewy complexion that is fully brightened and even. The ingredient can help create firmer skin that is also soft and supple.
The ingredients in the blend and their corresponding use with everyday topical use can be found below.
- Packed with nutrients and minerals that benefit overall skin health
- Exfoliating benefits: helps in removing buildup and debris, and treating dead skin
- Detoxifies the skin while providing suitable hydration benefits and brightening the complexion
- Replenishes vitamins and minerals to the skin, good overall skin health and a glowing aesthetic
- Anti-aging benefits: while algae is soft and hydrating, it also helps to minimize the appearance of sun damage, lines, fine lines, and wrinkles, with continual use over time
- With use over time for a long period, may help address signs of hyper-pigmentation
- Works in tandem with the other ingredients in the formulation to promote brightness, smooth skin, and a more youthful looking appearance
- Fights skin cancer by promoting DNA repair and cellular turnover, protecting from sun damage and toxins
- Protects against free radical damage in the environment, creating a protective barrier on the skin, working in tandem with other ingredients
- B2 contained in green tea extract helps maintains structure and firmness to the skin, anti-aging properties including minimizing the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles
- With continual long term use over time, may help minimize the appearance of any sun spots or signs of hyper-pigmentation
- Soothing and nourishing to damaged or burned skin
- Fights any preexisting DNA damage caused by sun damage (UVB rays-ones that cause burns and damage to the dermis)
- Hydrates any depleted moisture to help balance and soften skin
- Helps balance skins texture to restore balance and even out tone
- Antibacterial agent that treats and prevents acne and breakouts, prevents the formation of new acne blemishes and acne-causing bacteria
- Vitamin E is found in large quantities in green tea extract, which supports skin cell growth and expedites cellular turnover while hydrating the skin for anti-aging benefits, providing moisture benefits for all skin types, even very dry skin, and is safe for sensitive skin
- Acts as a barrier and protects the skin from UVB rays (which cause burns) and prevent sun damage, or any other environmental damage
- Anti-acne benefits: helps reduce blemishes and fights signs of acne, as well as fighting acne causing bacteria which leads to new breakouts, for those prone to breakouts
- Contains flavonoid compounds and natural antioxidants that benefit skin health, and restore radiance
- Helps to brighten the complexion, working in tandem with other ingredients in the formulation
TATCHA Violet-C Radiance Mask: Pros & Cons
- A portion of all product proceeds are donated to charitable causes, mainly helping girls learn to read to improve literacy and employment rates, particularly in impoverished countries, and it’s quite rare to see a company donate to charitable causes with every product SKU
- A gold spatula is included with the mask, to help with product control and for a cleaner application process
- Suitable for all skin types, including sensitive skin
- Product did not irritate or breakout my very sensitive and acne-prone complexion, and felt soothing to use
- Product definitely improved brightness and evened out skin tone
- With regular use, I could definitely notice anti-aging benefits and very smooth, young looking skin
- Feels very hydrating and leaves the skin feeling baby-soft
- Cleans the skin and is devoid of any buildup or residue after application and use
- If you’re experiencing dullness or sallow skin, this mask improves glow and radiance dramatically
- Does not feel greasy or heavy on the skin and is highly breathable
- Perfect when used in conjunction with the brands other products, especially the Water Cream
- Cruelty-free company: the product is not tested on animals and no animal product is used in the formulation or during any manufacturing processes
- Environmentally-friendly company with transparent practices and an emphasis on sustainability
- Perfect when used before an event or prior to makeup application for a more radiant finish
- Great to use at night, as you wake up to a noticeably brighter and glowing complexion
- Texture is rich but also feels lightweight upon application
- Results are very fast and noticeable after first time use, in only 15-20 minutes (the recommended time to leave the product on)
- Product longevity adds value: although pricey, this item should last for quite some time, as a very small amount of product goes a long way, and daily use is not required or recommended, you should expect to have the product for 6 months or so
- Does not promote oil production or create a greasy complexion for those with oily or combination skin types, but also helps restore hydration for those who are dry
- Helps in treating inflammation, including any irritation or redness, or sun damage
- Price: while the item is definitely in the luxury beauty category and will last for quite some time, none of us would view this product as inexpensive, an unfortunate trend for the brand
- While even with very sensitive skin I experienced no allergic reaction or breakouts, and most reviewers with sensitive skin say the same, a small minority claim the product broke out their skin, so it’s important to bear in mind individual chemistry and skin composition always varies, and you may experience allergy with the use of any topical product or skincare item
TATCHA: Money-Back Guarantee
The manufacturer, TATCHA, has a strong return and exchange policy that honors full refunds upon dissatisfaction or allergy, and this policy favors the consumer, both new and returning, upon any issues, dislikes, or reaction. If you are dissatisfied with the use of the mask, or if it does not work for your skin to provide suitable hydrating benefits, or you experience any product allergy or reaction to the formulation, you may elect to return it at any time. If you find you don’t experience anti-aging benefits you may also elect to return it. In this case, you will receive a full refund equal to the entire purchase price of the item.
TATCHA Violet-C Radiance Mask: Worth It?
Ultimately, if you’re seeking a brightening treatment that will restore radiance and treat any dullness that is suitable for all skin types (including sensitive), and not irritating to the skin, this mask is an ideal option.
I would highly recommend it, and although it is pricey, you can bear in mind that very little product is needed and it will last for quite some time, adding value. The ingredients in the formulation are all natural and devoid of harmful ingredients and additives, and results are immediate following first-time application.
After leaving on the treatment for about 20 minutes, you will notice a restored glow, softness, smoothness, and improved and evened out texture. It is not greasy or sticky, and still feels highly breathable. I highly recommend trying it out at night for a more refreshed appearance in the morning, or using it prior to makeup application, for a more radiant finish.
I prefer the former only so I can let product absorb and let the treatment live up to its full potential. It also makes a lovely gifting option if you’re recipient enjoys skincare and beauty treatments. The additional benefit of supporting charitable causes seem to justify the indulgence further.
While you’re here, make sure to check out our reviews on Sun Basket (for beauty and health from within to without) and Stitch Fix (for more styling looks and beauty options)!