Frequently, at NYC Salons I would often hear stylists and assistants asking clients if they wanted Oribe Gold Lust Shampoo & Conditioner used specifically prior to various treatments and blowouts, by name.
The number one, if not only response I heard, was “yes of course, Oribe,”- the line itself touted by a cult-following and celebrity hair stylists alike as the “golden” standard of all washes and conditioners.
Typically, being a bit more laid back or lacking said experience and experiencing a mix of trepidation and anxiety about expressing a specific hair treatment within the context of an upscale New York City salon, I’d quickly express complete indifference and still be given the Oribe Gold Lust hair products.
Suffice to say, I was not disappointed. Not only is it one of the loveliest scents known to man and woman (which is typically a personal preference but in this can one that is difficult to disagree on), it left my hair soft, shiny, smooth, soft, and for lack of a better term “salon fresh.” Upon purchase, the latter quality is one of the few and far between products that actually translates at home. The oil and mask products are luxurious add on products, and if I could budget them in along with a coloring and salon trip…. suffice to say we’d all be very happy women (and men).
This review will cover the main features on Oribe’s Gold Lust Shampoo and Conditioner (designed to smoothen and soften locks while maintaining optimal hair color and hold for months or years with continual use), some main ingredients and benefits with use, some key positives and negatives to bear in mind prior to purchase, and a final verdict, to help you make a more informed choice prior to any point of sale.
Oribe Gold Lust Shampoo & Conditioner: My Review
While admittedly both were quite the splurge, I decided to give Oribe’s Gold Lust Repair & Restore Shampoo and Repair & Restore complimentary conditioner a try after going from a bleached blonde hair color to a natural looking strawberry blonde about a year and a half back (major credits to my friend Keith at New York’s Butterfly Studio Salon, a testament to hair styling as a true artistry and perfection.)
After all, if I was going to invest in this type of aesthetic, art per se, picking up a couple of splurge products to ensure the treatment lasted for as long as possible seemed like the only logical choice at the time. And more so than anything, I trusted his judgment (as with any good client relationship relating to hair matters). He was nothing short of correct. The shampoo itself is likely the best product I have tried in the category to date, and despite the price tag, I have yet to find anything that compares.
Considering the investment in the salon treatment and the overall aesthetic, while this may not be an everyday go-to, this is an absolutely a product pair I would recommend if you’ve just been to the salon and are seeking color preservation, maintenance and even enhancements over time.
With time and using the products together in conjunction, you’ll notice subtle differences to the quality and sparkle of the hair itself (in comparison to just leaving the salon), that pick up on undertones and really illuminate the hair.
The aesthetic is nearly perfect, and the color duration in terms of longevity is also extended by at least 2-3 fold in comparison to competitor products on the market, dependent on wash time and following certain guidelines and directives (more on that later).
Below you will find some further information on the shampoo and conditioning treatment products, and if they may be right for you.
Oribe Gold Lust Shampoo
This extremely gentle formulation is suitable for all hair types (especially color treated hair), and designed to reawaken hair to its healthiest and glossiest prime.
After using the product following a color treatment, the color hold lasts months and proves additional shine and luminosity. Strands may shift in color slightly but provide an even more attractive aesthetic with subtle undertones and shifts over time that catch to natural and artificial light.
More than anything, hair remains soft, supple, and extremely hydrated (even with naturally dry hair and following or in conjunction with color treatments and the use of hot tools). Hair retains its natural ability to form to different styles and retains vibrancy, shine, and remains sleek and polished.
The shampoo has a lovely scent thats devoid of any chemical or harsh perfume odor and lingers without being overpowering following a shower. While it is a splurge, in comparison to damage to the hair or more frequent pricey salon trips, the price tag seems like an incredibly valuable indulgence, and a very small amount of product goes quite a long way, even if you have very long hair (the product should last several months).
As a side note, it’s always wise to wait as long as possible following coloring to wash the hair so it can absorb and retain it’s natural color (especially with colors that are difficult to hold, such as reds or strawberry blonds). It can also be helpful to use very cold water, if tolerable, when washing the hair, as the follicle will not absorb product and there will be less color degradation over time.
As always, the longer you can go without washing irrespective of the product being used, the longer the color will retain.
Oribe Gold Lust Conditioner
While this is certainly a product I adore, I will say I prefer the shampoo pair product, mostly because it lasts longer for my very long and dry hair type.
With that said, this conditioner restores and repairs damaged hair like a charm while preventing from future damage as well, and acts as a protective barrier if you opt to d0 any future color treatments or use styling tools.
Similar to the shampoo, it helps increase the duration of the color hold of any recent dye, prevent any erosion, and soothes the scalp and entire hair follicles. Following use, the hair is left soft, smooth, conditioned, hydrated and nourished.
The scent is lovely and lingers, without being overpowering or having any harsh chemical odor or perfume type odor to it. I would recommend this product without any reservations to compliment the shampoo, protect the hair from damage, increase color hold and vibrancy, and restore overall shine and luster if you’re experiencing any dullness.
If you do opt to pair the shampoo with a different conditioner, it’s important to denote that with color care the shampoo item will always be the most important factor- so if you can only splurge on one, I would recommend the former. However, the duo is a dream team. Even with extremely dry hair that had just been colored and processed (with the use of hot tools), I felt zero need to use any additional serum or oil following the use of this conditioner.
While I wish it lasted a bit longer, I say this in regard to every conditioner on the market, so those with even slightly shorter or finer hair should have no issues at all, and minimal use is required for an entire treatment.
Oribe Gold Lust Shampoo & Conditioner: Ingredients and Benefits
Especially for those of us with sensitive skin, hair, or scalp areas, it is always important to bear in mind the ingredients found in products and topical care items and corresponding benefits with use. For the most sensitive, it may be just as important as reading ingredients found in food labels. With that in mind, here are a look at some of the key ingredients found in the product formulations and their corresponding benefits with regular topical use for the hair:
- Protects hair from the heat of styling tools (blow dry, straighteners and curling irons), helping to prevent any further damage
- Treats dry and brittle hair by restoring moisture for those with dry hair
- Naturally protects hair from chlorine if used before swimming or water activities/sports
- Rich in Vitamin E and antioxidants, Argan Oil eliminates dandruff and dry scalp and moisturizes the hair and the follicle
- Helps repair frizz, flyaways, and split ends
- Promotes new hair growth and may help prevent hair loss in the future (working in tandem with Biotin and other ingredients in the formulation)
- Protects hair from the sun and provides a suitable environmental barrier
- Defines curls for those with curlier hair types, providing shine and moisture sans any frizz or fuss
- Delivers a natural shine to the hair, leaving it radiant and glowing, restoring luster in those with dull or sallow hair
- Helps hair naturally grow and stimulates follicles from the root
- Helps to nourish, condition and hydrate the hair
- Helps provide an environmental barrier around the hair to protect from any future damage, sun damage, or potential losses
- Helps revive hair and restore vibrance for dull or sallow hair
- Naturally detoxifies, shampoos and conditions the hair
- Strengthens and nurtures the hair from the root down
- Rich in essential fatty acids, helps to enhance a healthy sheen to the hair
- Makes the hair look brighter and more vibrant, restores shine and care
- Can help grow fuller, healthier, longer hair
- Improves Keratin infrastructure of hair that helps grow longer, healthier and fuller hair over time
*As a side note, using this supplement topically should always be used with caution especially for those with acne-prone skin conditions, as accidental biotin overuse can trigger breakouts. Topical application to the hair has always been my preferred method, in this case.*
Amino Acid Complex
Positives and Negatives
It’s extremely difficult to find any negatives with either of these products, and the only main negative seems to be the price sticker, which is challenging to afford on a regular basis. With that said, these are two of the best products in the entire category I have ever tried to date, and would recommend them as a splurge without any hesitation. With that in mind,
- Cruelty-free company: products are never tested on any animals and there is no animal product used during any manufacturing processes or in any formulations
- Products are all free of parabens, sulfates and harsh chemical additives
- Products are safe and suitable for all hair types (including color treated, fine, wavy, curly, straight, and coily)
- For color treated hair: users can expect to see color hold for months, especially in comparison to competitor products on the market, and if used conservatively
- Following use even with very dry hair, hair appears soft, shiny, supple, hydrated, restored, vibrant, and radiant
- Products have a lovely light fragrance that lingers but is devoid of any harsh chemical type odor or overwhelming perfume
- Products are not irritating to the scalp (did not create any redness, irritation, reactivity or breakouts), barring any specific allergen
- Leaves the hair slick and shiny without any oily or greasy texture
- Products are lightweight and never feel greasy or sticky
- Product longevity: even with very long hair, minimal application is needed, so you should expect to have the products for several months with regular use, adding value
- While pricey, the valuable aspect of the products are saving on trips back to the salon and losing color faster, or experiencing hair breakage, loss, or damage
- Products protect from future damage as well- including hair coloring treatments and styling tools
- Wonderful gifting option for recipients in your life who enjoy hair but who may not typically splurge on these items for themselves
- As some of the best and highest quality hair products I have ever tried to date on the market and in the category, the only downside here is the price. While they aren’t cheap, I think of the products as investments, particularly if you are someone who invests in salon hair coloring treatments or uses hair styling tools at home. By investing in these products, in the long run you can actually save on time and money with fewer trips to the salon with longer color hold times, save the hair from loss and breakage, and save on other products to nourish (i.e. oils and masks). With that said, this is certainly an individual choice and one must way the pros and cons based on individual lifestyle choices and fiscal budgeting.
Especially considering the price point, the return policy in this case may be a highly important factor for you for both products in question.
The manufacturer, Oribe, has a strong return and exchange policy that honors full refunds upon dissatisfaction or allergy, and this policy favors the consumer, both new and returning. If you are dissatisfied with the use either products, or if they do not work for your hair to provide suitable hydrating or color enhancing benefits, or you experience any product allergy or reaction to the formulation (including scalp irritation), you may elect to return it at any time.
In this case, you will receive a full refund equal to the entire purchase price of the item. If the item was received as a gift (without receipt), the policy applies for an even exchange, and this policy is applicable to online purchase, as individual store policy may vary depending on location and distributer.
If you feel the policy if not taken into consideration, you may contact customer service, and you can remain ensured you will receive a full refund.
I was happy to discover that the formulations were gentle enough to use even with very sensitive skin around the scalp area and did not cause any breakouts, but due to price barriers or sensitivity concerns this policy may help assuage fears, as individual allergies are highly variable. While I felt compared due to the longevity and benefits this was a worthy splurge, this is a highly individual choice, and only one you as a consumer can decide on.
The Final Verdict
If you’re looking for a solution for damaged or color treated hair and can justify the splurge in comparison to pricey products and salon treatments, these are the perfect products to help repair and soothe dehydrated, damaged and colored hair.
They also act as incredible treatments to prevent future damage and create suitable barriers for the environment and sun damage.
If you’re seeking a holiday gift this season for the person on your list who loves hair care and beauty items, are new to the line and seeking the most popular SKUs, or are a fan to the brand and having your hair colored for upcoming seasonal events and parties, I would highly recommend these products!