Review: OUAI Hair Oil (Best Hair Oil Ever? Created By Kim Kardashian’s Hairstylist?)
I’ve always been a loyal supporter of QUAI’s (pronounced “way”) line of shampoos and conditioners, which work to repair damaged hair and can even treat extremely dry or color-treated hair.
While it doesn’t always come at a desirable price point, hair care is typically something I’ll typically invest in, just because so much damage is done to the hair via coloring, heat styling, and even the environment. While there are drugstore brands (i.e Herbal Essences) I like as well for hydrating hair treatments, QUAI’s offering really nourishes the hair and feels like an at-home spa and quite a luxury, so I will splurge on occasion.
Upon noticing lingering dryness even when using a hydrating conditioner (of a different brand), I wanted to incorporate oil as well to see if that would improve the situation.
The QUAI hair oil came highly recommended by a friend with curly and frizzy hair and similar complaints of lingering dryness even after using plenty of conditioner designed to treat dull hair. She mentioned the entire collection was founded by celebrity hairstylist Jen Atkin, famed for styling the tresses of models like Gigi Hadid, actresses like Jessica Alba, and the entire Kardashian family.
The oil is truly a game changer for those of us with frizzy, damaged, dry, or unruly hair and I have yet to find a better product in the category, and an interesting factor of differentiation is the oil’s ability to protect against UV and heat styling damage.
This OUAI Hair Oil review will cover some main product features to keep in mind, the benefits of use and how to use, some key pros and cons to keep in mind prior to purchasing, and a final takeaway.
Review: OUAI Hair Oil
The hair oil is 1.5 oz and has a lightweight texture that nourishes damaged or dry hair without any greasy or sticky texture, or any residue. The product gained notoriety after being featured in top publications and winning several awards.
Before we begin, make sure you’re ordering QUAI hair oil from a legitimate retailer, NOT from a counterfeit seller. For your convenience, here is the Amazon link to an authentic QUAI hair oil retailer.
It’s suitable for all hair types, including keratin-treated hair and colored hair. It is designed to repair damage and prevent future damage, treat frizz, alleviate dryness, and restore vibrancy and shine.
It’s also designed to protect against damage from the use of heat styling tools and UV damage, so while using the product the hair has a protective barrier to prevent any further complaints or concerns.
I have tried many products in this category before in an effort to treat frizzy and extremely dry hair (which is also color treated) with no or fairly limited success, and typically using a conditioner or leave in product alone is not enough. I’ve even resorted to olive oil mask treatments, which is quite messy and not a favorable fragrance to have in the hair.
Even when using expensive or high-quality shampoos designed to restore moisture, I find myself avoiding shampooing from time to time as it’s just too drying. And the use of hot tools?
That simply adds to the problem and creates a cyclical issue of trying to find new products to sample and then damaging it again after use. But with this product, the results were absolutely incredible, and it’s by far the best product of the category I have tried thus far.
While it is not cheap, I would likely purchase this before a pricey conditioner. After using it in wet or dry hair, the hair is left silky, soft, nourished, and vibrant. I really enjoy using it after washing the hair as it is even more absorbing. It can also be used prior to heat styling tools for protection and applied to the ends of the hair to conceal any split ends.
After trying so many different products with no success, I was surprised and pleased to find this one truly works, even for very dry hair, in repairing damage and vastly improving the overall aesthetic.
I would absolutely recommend this to anyone struggling with frizz, dry hair, or seeking damage repair or control.
Bonus tip? If you’re comparison shopping and looking for some other great products that help with hair damage control, be sure to check out our reviews on Pureology’s Shampoo and Conditioner and Lush’s R&B Hair Moisturizer while you’re here!
OUAI Hair Oil: Positives and Negatives
Other than price point, this is by far the best hair oil I have yet to try and I would highly recommend this if you’re struggling with dry hair that does not improve by using conditioner, or if you’re considering different hair oil options.
While it’s difficult to find any other negatives, here are some key pros and cons to bear in mind prior to purchase:
- Excellent benefits when used in dry or wet hair: this is absolutely my favorite hair oil and it completely changed my hair, which is soft, smooth, and silky after use
- Can be used in wet or dry hair: while I personally prefer using this with wet hair which can hold in more moisture, but it can also be used for a sleeker in dry hair after styling
- Suitable for all hair types, including straight, wavy, curly, coiled, or tightly coiled, and safe for keratin-treated hair
- Has a lovely gardenia and violet scent devoid of any harsh perfume odor or artificial quality
- Multi-use benefits: product also protects from future heat damage from styling tools, as well as UV damage
- Formulated free of any parabens, sulfates, or harsh chemical additives
- Product does not irritate the scalp or hair and is quite gentle
- Cruelty-free company: company does not test products on animals and does not use any animal product in its manufacturing processes
- Adds vibrance and shine to hair without any greasy or oily texture
- Suitable as a treatment for color-treated hair, or to treat any damage before or after coloring
- Can be used in conjunction with a leave in conditioner for very dry or damaged hair
- Very absorbing, holds well into the hair without any heaviness
- Can be used on the ends of hair to conceal split ends
- Product longevity: because only a very small amount is needed to treat the hair, you should get about 2-3 months of use even with daily application
- Helps treat frizzy or unruly hair
- Never makes the hair look oily or greasy, and rather leaves it with just the right amount of shine
- Product has received several beauty awards and is regularly featured in top publications and “best of” lists
- Price: definitely the only con I’ve found in using this is the price tag, as $28 is rather steep for a hair oil, but it definitely lasts several months and it is by far the best hair oil and treatment for hydration I’ve ever used, so I see it as a worthy investment
- Scent is lovely but it would be nice if it lingered for a longer time after use, with that said the benefits of use are such that I’d purchase it with no fragrance at all
OUAI: Money-Back Guarantee
The manufacturer, QUAI, has a strong return and exchange policy that honors full refunds upon dissatisfaction or allergy, and this policy favors the consumer, both new and returning. If you are dissatisfied with the use of the hair oil, or if it does not work for your hair to provide suitable hydrating benefits, or you experience any product allergy or reaction to the formulation, you may elect to return it at any time.
In this case, you will receive a full refund equal to the entire purchase price of the item.
Image Credit: Quai
OUAI Hair Oil: The Final Verdict
If you’re suffering from dry hair or seeking a product to repair damage and restore shine, I highly recommend investing in Quai’s hair oil, which leaves the hair silky soft and restores any depleted moisture. It is suitable for all hair types, and helps prevent damage from styling tools and UV damage as well as conditioning the hair.
It can also be used on the ends of hair to conceal split ends, or applied to dry hair before or after styling for a more polished look.
It is vastly superior to any other product in the category I have come across, and leaves the hair looking healthy and vibrant. If you’re seeking a solution for dry hair, looking to prevent or repair damage from styling or coloring, or simply finding that conditioning products don’t seem to be working,
I definitely recommend trying out this product, and have no reservations about suggesting it to anyone and everyone looking for a lightweight, non-greasy hair oil.
While you’re here, be sure to check out our reviews on Sun Basket (for beauty and health from within to without), and Stitch Fix (for a polished and stylish finishing look)!