Kiehl’s is a certainly a brand with strong name recognition that stands the test of time and rings bells with most women and men alike.
The brand, established in the late 1800’s, have been known for their skincare, body, and haircare products, and assortment of apothecary type goods- that cater and appeal to quite a diverse and broad demographic.
So what’s the hype about their fan- favorite Midnight Recovery Treatment Oil, does it work? Is it worth it?
We reviewed to find out.
Review: Kiehl’s Midnight Recovery Treatment
Prior to using the Midnight Recovery Treatment, I hadn’t tried any of their facial care products or creams. After trying this product out and really enjoying it, I tried a few more and would also provide a solid recommendation for their avocado mask which smells great and fully restores hydration in one use.
In terms of the treatment oil, it’s a luxurious nightly dry oil that’s both lightweight and hydrating.
While similar in composition to other cleansing and treatment oils I’ve experimented with, this one provided visible anti-aging benefits pretty quickly, which was probably the main factor of differentiation for a product of its category.
The additional benefit to using this dry oil was a lack of heaviness or greasy feeling to the skin, and the naturally based ingredients. I noticed more benefits in terms of brightening and subtle changes to fine lines and wrinkles using this product, and would certainly recommend it to those seeking hydration, restored balance, and preventative anti-aging.
With very dry skin, I was able to use this product without the use of a heavier cream or moisturizer as a supplement item.
I was able to safely use the product even with sensitive skin, and it proves suitable for all skin types (including combination, oily, and acne prone), barring any specific allergy to ingredients in the formulation.
If you’re comparison shopping, you might also like to pair this with Tatcha’s Deep Cleanse, Thayers Witch Hazel Toner, and Dr. Jart’s Tiger Grass Cream, so be sure to check out our other product reviews while you’re here!
Bonus tip? Mix this in with a little bit of foundation, like NARS Sheer Glow Foundation, for an extra radiant finish!
Kiehl’s Midnight Recovery Treatment Ingredients
Kiehl’s nighttime treatment oil feels great on the skin and provides optimal hydration restoration and well as a restoration of a healthy glow. Users can expect to see anti-aging benefits, balance in tone, and a treatment of skin concerns (i.e. lines, wrinkles). The product combines lavender essential oil, evening primrose oil, and squalane- ingredients that work in tandem to effectively treat dry skin and promote an improved aesthetic on the face and neck areas.
Here is a brief look at benefits to the main ingredients in the formulation:
Evening Primrose Oil
- Treats acne- aids in both preventing and reducing acne and acne causing bacteria
- Anti-inflammatory properties help reduce redness, rash, and skin itching or irritation
- Essential nutrients and healthy fats help support a younger and more flawless skin aesthetic
- Very hydrating, great for treating dry or dull skin
- Suitable treatment for different skin conditions, particularly eczema
Lavender Essential Oil
- Nourishes the skin with a high antioxidant concentration
- Natural anti-inflammatory properties help treat various skin reactions, irritations and conditions
- Anti-acne- helps treat acne and prevent new acne formation
- Helps in the treatment of minor scars, burns, and wounds
- Soothes and balances skin, making it ideal for dry and combination types alike
- Improves blood circulation and flow to the face/skin
- Balances oil production, making it suitable for different skin types
- Helps treat topical conditions (i.e. acne, eczema)
- Powerful anti-aging benefits
- Restoring radiance, glow, and promoting a brighter and more even skin tone
- Helps fight and prevent any bacteria on the skin
Kiehl’s Midnight Recovery Treatment Pros & Cons
Here is a look at some key pros and cons to bear in mind:
- Product comes in two different sizes and price points, the smaller option may be good for first-time users
- Safe for all skin types and conditions, including sensitive skin and acne-prone skin
- Hydrates and visibly restores radiance and glow to skin
- Great for an overnight treatment
- Great for dry skin, the ability to use the product as a standalone treatment
- Free of parabens and sulfates
- Treats signs of dullness and sallow appearance
- Optimal anti-aging benefits, more than experienced with traditional dry oils and similar products at the same price point
- Dewy glow, can be used under makeup in the daytime as well (it is marketed as an exclusive night treatment, but there’s no ingredient that would preclude its use for daytime)
- Blend of powerful yet natural essential oils combine and work in tandem to offer anti-aging solutions and visible benefits, while restoring hydration and balance to the skin
- Suitable for oily or combination skin, the ability to restore balance in oil and aid with preventing too much overproduction of oil
- Ingredients are biodegradable, sustainable, and environmentally friendly
- Product never feels heavy or greasy on the skin
- No residue or buildup left behind
- Price- can be costly for a skin oil, Kiehl’s has some products at more moderate price points, but those who enjoy and love using the product typically find great value in the anti-aging formulation
- Product does not contain any retinoid or ingredient that would preclude use for during the day, the idea of this as an exclusive nighttime treatment seems to be marketing (and in effort to sell the daytime oil, which contains nearly identical ingredients)
Money Back Guarantee
Kiehl’s has a strong return and exchange policy that favors the consumer, particularly new customers. If you are dissatisfied with the use of the product, or if it does not work for your skin to provide suitable benefits, or you experience any product allergy or reaction to the formulation, you may elect to return the item. In this case, you will receive a full refund equal to the entire purchase price of the item.
You may also wish to exchange the product for an equal and full refund. If you are a first-time user or new to skin oils, or simply have any uncertainty prior to use, you can bear in mind the policy prior to a final point of sale decision.
Kiehl’s Midnight Recovery Treatment: Worth It?
I would recommend this product to anyone seeking a daily treatment product, particularly a nighttime dry oil formulation with anti-aging benefits. There is a visible reduction with respect to aging signs and concerns, and it’s suitable and safe for sensitive skin.
Naturally based oil ingredients combine with the powerful anti-aging squalane to treat the skin and restore a youthful glow. While the product is marketed as an exclusive overnight treatment, I see no need in terms of benefits to use or ingredients to purchase the daytime companion product, as nothing would be a hinderance to application prior to makeup in the morning as well. Skin feels smoother, softer, and hydrated.
All in all, great product and a fan-favorite.