Review: NARS Sheer Glow Foundation (A Radiant, Flawless Finish)
Finding the perfect foundation is tricky, but with NARS Sheer Glow Foundation, the product is nearly perfect and hits all the right buttons.
Foundation is really a staple for most of us, balancing out the overall tone of the skin and acting our base before the entire process really begins.
When I’m looking for a foundation I typically look for a product that offers full and long-wear coverage but is also breathable, and suitable for sensitive skin. If the product contains SPF and any ingredients that benefit the skin that’s even better, and at least I can psychologically justify the purchase price by calling it a multi-use product.
NARS’ Sheer Glow Foundation fulfills my entire foundation checklist and then some, and provides a really durable wear and stays on all day without any smudging (even during hot summer months).
Don’t we all want a product that contains ingredients that benefit the skin as well, and has a nearly identical color match that even accounts for specific undertones in the skin?
While it does not come cheap, I’ve managed to find ways to make this product stand the test of time and will try to provide some of these in the review.
Review: NARS Sheer Glow Foundation
NARS Sheer Glow Foundation uses its complexion brightening formulation to deliver hydration and skincare benefits to the skin, SPF coverage, and a medium coverage (buildable and variable) foundation.
The foundation match is nearly identical in different light settings, and the finish is radiant and dewy.
It’s benefits as a multi-use product is what makes the cost seem more justifiable, as it definitely improves skin tone, texture, and overall hydration during application.
It compliments a wide range of skin tones, and other reviewers with skin complexions or tones that express difficulties in finding color matches have expressed gratitude for finding the product.
Not only is it breathable, it actually delivers results and benefits to the skin, in a market where products can irritate or dry out the complexion directly following use. While I’ve tried a wide range of foundation products at varying price points, this one has me going back to replenish it every time. I even prefer this formulation to the La Mer foundation (over $100), as I feel the match is more specific and experience equal benefits to the skin with use.
It feels quite lightweight and can’t be felt at all after application, even using a heavier style with respect to buildable coverage.
The product contains Vitamin C as well as Tumeric to provide skincare benefits as well as a polished cosmetics aesthetic.
Here is a look at some of the key benefits to using these ingredients with topical application, as well as some tips for getting the most out of your purchase by making the product last as long as possible:
- Treats signs of dullness and improves and restores radiance
- Protects skin from sun damage naturally and heals from prior damage, this ingredient works in tandem with the SPF in the product
- Brightens the skin naturally and reduces signs of uneven tone and discoloration, promoting an even and smooth overall tone for an even aesthetic after application
- Improves hydration and moisture, helps bind moisture into the skin and restores any depleted hydration
- Acts as an anti-inflammatory and expedites healing rates
- Safe and suitable for all skin types, including acne-prone skin
- Helps heal sunburns and promotes skin repair, working in tandem with aloe ingredient
- Anti-aging, antioxidant-rich vitamin C helps boost collagen production and elasticity, diminishing the appearance of any wrinkles or lines
- Expedites healing rates for any skin irritation or blemish
- Helps in treating oily or combination skin
- Helps protect from sun damage and soothing damages after sun exposure, works harmoniously with Vitamin C and SPF ingredients
- Helps expedite the cellular turnover process, providing anti-aging benefits to use and reducing the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles
- Suitable in treating topical skin conditions (i.e. eczema), those with skincare sensitivities and topical conditions do not have to fear breakout or reaction with product use
Tips For Product Longevity:
- Add in a serum or oil to the foundation, particularly when product starts to get low or clings to the sides of the bottle, taking caution to not waste any product
- Even though coverage is buildable, start slowly and add just as much as is needed, sometimes overuse becomes redundant
- Supplement the product by mixing in a different drugstore type foundation, using both at the same time
Review: NARS Sheer Glow Foundation: Pros & Cons
While the price point is not as pretty as the results, I find this to be a worthy indulgence and the benefits to multi-use are what really makes the price justifiable. I think it’s reasonable considering value and in accordance with the quality of the ingredients used. I also find it’s difficult to select a foundation that covers so many positive points and the entire checklist in one go, including skincare benefits as well as such a strong hold.
What really drives home the purchase is the non-irritating formula that’s suitable for very sensitive skin, as a large portion of foundation products contain alcohols or other ingredients that can be very drying to sensitive dry skin.
- Long wear coverage: holds all day and does not smudge, sweat-protectant
- Contains SPF, it’s ideal to find a product that offers additional benefits of sun protection, because I tend to avoid SPF moisturizers in favor of richer formulations that can better penetrate the skin
- Available in a wide range of colors to suit all different skin types, accounting for different undertones in the skin
- Color range and corresponding undertones are all listed online (the information is incredibly accurate), so you can purchase the product without fear and free of swatch testing in store
- Suitable for all skin types, including sensitive skin (it does not irritate my sensitive skin at all)
- Suitable for acne-prone skin, does not clog pores or cause breakout
- Free of any parabens, sulfates, added fragrance or harsh chemical ingredients
- Product never clings to dry patches and helps detract from any flaws rather than highlighting them
- Color match is nearly identical to natural skin color in different lighting, including natural light
- Finish is matte but the texture of the product still leaves a finish that seems glowy and dewy
- Natural looking product: does not look caked on or sticky
- Highly breathable: never feels heavy on skin, cannot be felt at all during wear or after application, and non-sticky
- Medium coverage (not full): the foundation offers much more coverage than you’d get using a CC cream or tinted moisturizer, but a bit less than a full-coverage heavier weight product (such as Loreal), however coverage is buildable. While I typically opt for a fuller coverage, this was plenty and I find on some days I opt for a bit more and others just a sheer light layer.
- Radiant finish that leaves skin looking hydrated and refreshed
- Suitable for even very dry skin, providing moisture and not clinging to areas of dryness
- Eliminates the appearance of any circles under the eye and conceals breakouts
- Contains Vitamin C and Tumeric to enhance radiance and promote an even complexion
- Free of gluten, and free of any mineral oils
- Benefits as a multi-use product: moisturizes with skincare ingredients, SPF, foundation with a strong match and long hold
- The only con about this product for me is the price tag, but fortunately the benefits and the lack of any other product negatives justify the purchase for me, other than that everything about using the product is positive
- There are some issues with the cap: often I can’t use the pump feature because the cap does not seem to open correctly, regarding this they will fix the issue in store, but I often find I don’t bother to go to a store after an online purchase, and will simply use it out of the bottle or supplement with a different pump (but when you’re paying this price, the pump feature should likely always work perfectly)
If you are in any way dissatisfied with the product or its ingredients, NARS offers a full money-back guarantee for the entire purchase price, a policy which favors the new consumer. The same policy exists if any redness, irritation, allergy, or general skin reaction occurs following application. First-time users of the product may have concerns alleviated by this policy, especially as it can be difficult to gauge the most suitable shade for first-time application (although the information provided from the manufacturer is highly accurate and in accordance with how your skin looks in natural light).
NARS Sheer Glow Foundation: Worth It?
I definitely recommend the NARS Sheer Glow Foundation free of any reservations. I have used this product for quite some time and will continue to use it until potentially finding a lower cost alternative with the same benefits to use and same aesthetic, which seems tough and is a difficult endeavor.
I would definitely recommend this product for those seeking a light to medium coverage with a very breathable formulation that also benefits the skin and has solid standing as a multi-use product. The Tumeric and Vitamin C in the product help restore radiance and really work in delivering hydration to the skin, even though the makeup holds all day. The color match is nearly flawless and identical in varying light, including natural light. And I love products, especially ones that can be traditionally irritating that are safe and suitable for all skin types, colors, and sensitivities.
I’m really pleased I tried this and would definitely recommend using it or trying it out for the first time. 5/5 Stars!