While I’ve tried Tatcha’s rice enzyme powder cleanser and oil based cleanser in the past, until recently I was completely unaware of the “Deep Cleanse” face wash, famed for gently exfoliating the skin while providing a deep clean free of any post-wash dryness or tightness.
Formulated for all skin types, including sensitive skin, the multi-use wash is also designed to minimize the appearance of pores, reduce overproduction of oils, and treat dull or uneven skin. The Japanese brand is known for minimalism and the use of high quality ingredients that are exclusive to the company and proprietary formulations to heal damaged skin and promote a more radiant aesthetic.
The products are all formulated free of any sulfates or parabens, are never tested on animals, and a portion of all proceeds are donated to charitable causes, specifically, helping girls learn to read and trying to reduce and alleviate poverty through learning.
The cleanser is an Allure Best of Beauty winner, and comes highly-reviewed across thousands of ratings with those of varying skin types and concerns. While I initially thought the product would be better suited for oily skin, with dry and sensitive skin the Deep Cleanse worked very well also, and provides a gentle exfoliation that treats buildup and dead skin while providing a thorough and refreshing wash.
At $38, the product is certainly not cheap, but does last for quite a long time and is relatively lower in price than many other products the brand makes.
It’s multi-use capabilities also seem to enhance value, and a very small amount of product is needed to wash the whole face. This review covers some background and overview on the main product features, some positives and negatives to bear in mind prior to purchase, as well as some product ingredients and benefits for the skin with everyday topical use.
Tatcha Deep Cleanse: My Review & Features
While the products tend to be pricey, Tatcha is a brand I enjoy supporting and will typically splurge on for multi-use benefit products, and because the brand is so supportive of charitable causes and helping improve literacy while alleviating poverty.
Purchasing beauty products is clearly not the only way to give back and should not be a singular solution, but any contribution is helpful. Deep Cleanse is formulated for all skin types, and was perfect used as a daily wash with dry skin, however it seems to be reviewed more often by those with oily or combination skin types.
The product has wonderful multi-use benefits and gently exfoliates using micro beads, which is more environmentally-friendly and also eliminated the need for a weekly scrub. Scrubs can also feel quite harsh on the skin or rough, and Deep Cleanse is very gentle and soothing. After use, skin feels hydrated and refreshed, and all makeup is removed (including eyeliner and mascara).
While it is fairly pricey (but not in comparison to other products from the line), a very small amount of product goes a long way and can clean the entire face and neck, so it does last for quite a while. I found it gentle enough to be used every day, and did not notice and dryness or tightness after use. The cleanser is oil free and formulated with high quality naturally based ingredients, free of any parabens, sulfates, or mineral oil. The texture is a rich and creamy foam, but it still feels quite lightweight and is not greasy or sticky on the skin at all.
Even with very sensitive skin, the product did not cause any irritation, redness, or breakouts. In fact ingredients used in the product formulation are designed to help treat acne and help prevent future breakouts by combating the bacteria that causes them. It also helps in achieving a more radiant aesthetic, and in minimizing the appearance of pores.
I would definitely recommend Deep Cleanse to anyone seeking a cleanser that’s gentle and suitable for sensitive skin, and has great multi-use benefits as a pore treatment and exfoliant, and it may be the most appreciated by those with normal to oily skin types.
Tatcha Deep Cleanse Ingredients and Benefits
The ingredients used in the formulation are very natural and high in quality, and free of any irritating chemical additives. The brand employs its own unique proprietary formulation as well, which can’t be found with any other products or products from different lines. Here is a look at the key ingredients in the formulation as well as corresponding skin benefits with continual topical use:
Japanese Wild Rose
- Helps in minimizing the appearance of pores, redness, and irritation
- Anti-inflammatory properties help soothe and treat redness or skin irritation
- Mild antiseptic properties help prevent acne-causing bacteria, preventing new breakouts from forming and helping treat preexisting acne
- Helps in treating blackheads, whiteheads, and other skin inflammation
- Stimulates circulation and blood flow to face, improving the overall aesthetic
- Calming effect on topical conditions (i.e. eczema)
- Helps remove and prevent oil and debris formation within pores
Japanese Luffa Fruit Exfoliant
- High in Vitamin C, this ingredient can help with anti-aging benefits, including treating fine lines, wrinkles, and age spots
- Acts as a barrier to protect the skin from environmental damage and sun damage
- Assists in treating scar tissue and expedites healing time with skin wounds or irritation
- Helps the skin heal from preexisting sun damage
- Brightens the skin naturally and reduces signs of uneven tone and discoloration, promoting an even and smooth overall tone
- Over time, helps minimize and decrease the appearance of hyper-pigmentation and sun spots, and visible signs of damage
- Improves hydration and moisture, helps bind moisture into the skin and restores any depleted hydration
- Acts as an anti-inflammatory and helps repair irritation
- Helps heal sunburns and promotes skin repair, working in tandem with the rose ingredient
- Antioxidant-rich vitamin C helps boost collagen production and elasticity, diminishing the appearance of any wrinkles or lines
- Vitamin E (found in green tea extract) supports skin cell growth and expedites cellular turnover while hydrating the skin for anti-aging benefits, providing moisture benefits for all skin types, even very dry skin, and is safe for sensitive skin
- Fights skin cancer by promoting DNA repair and cellular turnover, protecting from sun damage and toxins
- Protects against free radical damage in the environment, creating a protective barrier on the skin, working in tandem with other ingredients
- B2 contained in green tea extract helps maintains structure and firmness to the skin, anti-aging properties including minimizing the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles
- With continual long term use over time, may help minimize the appearance of any sun spots or signs of hyper-pigmentation
- Soothing and nourishing to damaged or burned skin
- Fights any preexisting DNA damage caused by sun damage (UVB rays-ones that cause burns and damage to the dermis)
- Hydrates any depleted moisture to help balance and soften skin
- Helps balance skins texture to restore balance and even out tone
- Antibacterial agent that treats and prevents acne and breakouts, prevents the formation of new acne blemishes and acne-causing bacteria
- Packed with nutrients and minerals that benefit overall skin health
- Helps in removing toxins from the skin, including dead skin and debris
- Hydrates, softens, detoxifies while providing suitable hydration benefits
- Replenishes vitamins and minerals to the skin, good for the health and aesthetic
- Anti-aging ingredient that helps minimize the appearance of sun damage, lines, fine lines, and wrinkles
- Protects the skin from UVB rays and prevent sun damage
- Helps reduce blemishes and acne, as well as fighting acne causing bacteria which leads to new breakouts, for those with acne-prone skin
- Contains flavonoid compounds and natural antioxidants that benefit skin health
Tatcha’s proprietary trio of Japanese anti-aging superfoods can’t be found in any other product, aside from other products by the same manufacturer. It contains a unique blend of green tea, rice and algae, and helps to restore a radiant glow and delivery a soft, dewy complexion. Benefits of the ingredients are listed above. Fans of the product enjoy purchasing a skincare treatment that not only works, but can’t be found in any other line or carried anywhere else. This blend is unique to the company, and cannot be found in any other skincare product or used in any other formulation.
Tatcha Deep Cleanse Positives and Negatives
Overall, most of the benefits and product features are quite positive. The main downsides tend to be in the construction of the product itself which can cause product waste, as well as the price point, which is still steep for the category. Here is a look at some key pros and cons to bear in mind prior to purchase:
- Unless you are quite oily, this cleanser can generally eliminate the need for a toner, or at least help decrease the need for one very often
- Cruelty-free company: the product was not tested on any animals and not formulated using any animal product
- Products are all formulated free of any parabens, sulfates, or irritating chemical additives
- Suitable for all skin types including very sensitive skin: product did not cause any irritation, redness, or breakout following use, and is quite gentle and soothing
- Company contributes portions of proceeds on every product to charitable causes, mainly helping girls around the world learn to read and improving global literacy rates
- Provides a deep cleanse without any drying or tightness afterwards
- Multi-use benefits: product can be used as a wash and gently exfoliates, but does not strip the skin so it’s suitable for daily use
- Ingredients in the product are formulated to provide hydration, balance, and help fight breakouts, as well as providing anti-aging benefits
- Pore size appearance is visibly reduced, and the product is suitable as a treatment for large pores
- Product is very sleek in terms of design aesthetic, and the bottle is very attractive and colorful
- Leaves skin extremely clean and refreshed, removing all makeup including mascara
- The exfoliating beads contained in the wash are quite small, making it very gentle on the skin
- Product helps minimize breakouts and combats acne for those who are prone to blemishes, and it also helps in treating blackheads and any excess buildup on the skin
- Feels quite lightweight and is not heavy or greasy on the skin
- Product lasts for quite some time as a small amount really goes a long way, adding to value
- Foams up into a rich lather
- Feels soothing and hydrating, and skin is left feeling smooth and soft
- Great for oil control in those with combination or oily skin
- The scent is quite strong and quite earthy, which I’m not a huge fan of, but it does dissipate very quickly and does not linger, with that said this is a matter of personal preference, as many claim to love the scent
- There is no pump to distribute product, which can cause product waste
- Price: at $38, this is fairly costly for the product category, however there are great multi-use benefits, and the product lasts for quite some time, which adds value, it’s also a relatively low cost item for the brand itself, and makes a great way to try a product out without breaking the bank entirely
- While it worked and provided benefits for my dry skin, others with extremely dry skin may find it leaves skin feeling tight, and it may be most beneficial for normal to oily skin
The manufacturer, Tatcha, has a strong return and exchange policy that honors full refunds upon dissatisfaction or allergy, and this policy favors the consumer, both new and returning. If you are dissatisfied with the use of the cream, or if it does not work for your skin to provide suitable hydrating benefits, or you experience any product allergy or reaction to the formulation, you may elect to return it at any time. In this case, you will receive a full refund equal to the entire purchase price of the item. If the item was received as a gift (without receipt), the policy applies for an even exchange, and this policy is applicable to online purchase, as individual store policy may vary depending on location and distributer. I was happy to discover that the formulation was gentle enough to use even with very sensitive skin, but due to price barriers or sensitivity concerns this policy may help assuage fears.
Tatcha Deep Cleanse: Worth It?
This cleanser is suitable for all skin types and ideal for those seeking a wash with multi-use benefits and exfoliating properties. It’s gentle enough to be used every day and provides a deep clean that removes all makeup and mascara without drying the skin or any feeling or tightness following application. While it seemed very suitable for my dry skin and did not cause any lingering dryness, most of the fans of this product seem to have oily or combination complexions, so it may help those looking to treat or control overproduction of oil. Those with extremely dry skin may prefer the brands oil based cleanser or rice enzyme powder. It is pricey, but for the brand it is one of the less expensive products, and in terms of longevity, so little product is needed that it lasts for several months even with continual daily use. It has the additional benefit of offering anti-aging benefits and helping minimize the appearance of pore size, if that is of concern to you. It really feels quite refreshing, skin is left feeling smooth and soft, and you will notice restored radiance and brightness, especially if you’re trying to treat dull skin. This is a great daily cleanser for those of all ages, and may eliminate the need for a toner, adding further value.
Those with price objections can be assured of a generous money-back guarantee, as well as the understanding that a generous portion of all proceeds will be donated to charitable causes (this applies to every product that TATCHA sells, and is a rarity- as typically brands will limit donations to special products or individual SKUS).