Review: Tatcha The Essence (#1 Softening Skin Plumper?)
While I typically am not a fan of essence-type products and view overly-complicated regimens as a step too far irrespective of demographic or concerns, when Tatcha introduced her Essence Plumping Softener, I only had positive connotations in mind.
Her clean line based in proprietary formulations is based in a philosophy of simplicity.
While some of the treatment products and masks are additions or add-on products, they are also effective multi-use products that are formulated with only the cleanest ingredients and based in simplicity- Japanese regimens that are not overly complex and designed to be safe and suitable for all skin types.
TATCHA founder Victoria Tsai formerly worked the corporate grind in the Financial District and made the shift to her affinity for skincare and cosmetics after discovering her own topical conditions.
In an effort to create a suitable line of skincare and cosmetics for those of all skin types, including those with various topical conditions, she travelled to Japan to learn about all of the finest ingredients that could be safely used to formulate products that actually prove efficacy.
Her line has not only changed skincare conditions for so many users, but her admirable missions in trying to alleviate poverty by contributing donations off of every product towards helping young girls in impoverished nations learn how to read has helped the lives of millions.
While I typically do not use essence type products that work after washes as re-softening surfacers designed to help products used following that work with even further efficacy, the results were certainly noticeable and it felt like it worthy splurge.
This review will cover some main product features to bear in mind prior to purchase, some positives and negatives to consider and have in mind, some ingredients and corresponding benefits with daily topical use, as well as a final verdict- to help you make a more informed purchasing decision prior to any point of sale.
Review: Tatcha The Essence
TATCHA’s Essence Plumping Skin Softener is a re-surfacing treatment product designed to make all other topical skincare products work better and with higher efficacy rates.
Formulated for all skin types, including sensitive skin, the treatment is designed to be used after a cleanser and prior to a moisturizer or serum and works as a solution in treating dryness, dullness, sallow, skin, signs of fine lines and wrinkles, and balancing out uneven texture.
This treatment is not only designed to treat signs of anti-aging and increase overall skin health and hydration, it totally smoothens and resurfaces the skin. More than anything, it maximizes the use of all other skincare when used in conjunction with the product.
From the manufacturer, ” this product is cruelty-free, non-sensitizing, non-irritating, dermatologist tested, and formulated without oil. Geisha embraced and perfected the tradition of beauty waters as the foundation to their beauty ritual to restore and soften their skin. This secret has been passed down by generations; today, 97 percent of Japanese women use an essence. Tatcha honors this ancient practice in our modern, powerful evolution.”
Beauty that gives back: every Tatcha purchase you make supports girls’ education around the world. Tatcha is proud to partner with Room to Read to transform girls’ futures.—Victoria Tsai, Founder.”
After using the product for a period of several weeks, I noticed increased brightening benefits, improvements with the respect to dullness and dehydration, skin was soft and “baby smooth,” and the skin was entirely re-texturized.
Additionally, the product is formulated only using clean ingredients, is cruelty- free, and is completely devoid of any harmful parabans, sulfates, additives, or harsh chemicals.
I would highly recommend this product to anyone seeking a perfect go to daily essence to be used in between a serum or moisturizer and after a cleanser- not only is it anti-aging treatment, it provides a multitude of suitable benefits such as brightening, re-texturing, and helping all other products be absorbed more easily
Tatcha The Essence Ingredients
Especially for those of us with sensitive skin or seeking formulations with clean ingredients, paying attention to the ingredients in the products on topical use treatments and serums can be akin to checking food label ingredients. With that in mind, here is a look at some of the key benefits to the ingredients found in the formulation and their corresponding topical benefits:
- B2 contained in green tea in high quantities helps and maintains structure and firmness to the skin, anti-aging properties including minimizing the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles
- Vitamin E (also contained in the ingredient) supports skin cell growth and expedites cellular turnover while hydrating the skin, providing moisture benefits for all skin types, even very dry skin, restoring radiance, and adding smoothness
- Helps maintain soft skin, that’s more even in tone and texture
- Fights skin cancer by promoting DNA repair and cellular turnover, prevents against future damage
- Protects against free radical damage in the environment
- Fights any preexisting DNA damage caused by sun damage (UVB rays-ones that cause burns and damage to the dermis)
- Antibacterial agent that treats and prevents acne and breakouts, prevents the formation of new acne blemishes and acne-causing bacteria
- Packed with nutrients and minerals that benefit overall skin health, help restore skin health, and help maintain glow and a more radiant aesthetic
- Helps in detoxifying pores and removing any dead skin or buildup
- Gentle ingredient that’s typically very suitable for sensitive skin
- Helps in removing dirt, oil, and buildup on the surface of the skin
- Hydrates, softens, detoxifies while providing suitable hydration benefits
- Replenishes vitamins and minerals to the skin, good for the health and aesthetic
- Anti-aging ingredient that helps minimize the appearance of sun damage, lines, and wrinkles, and advanced aging signs like hyper-pigmentation with continual daily use over time
- Protects the skin from UVB rays, which cause sun burn and damage to the skin, including eventually causing hyper-pigmentation
- Helps in brightening, hydrating, and restoring radiance
- Helps combat bacteria, dead skin build up, and fights any irritation on the skin
- Helps reduce blemishes and acne, as well as fighting acne causing bacteria which leads to new breakouts
- Contains flavonoid compounds and natural antioxidants
Soy Amino Acids
- Helps to moisturize, repair and protect the skin
- Helps promote glow and shine to sallow skin
- Provides a protective layer over the skin to help prevent against future damage from the sun and free radicals
- Works in tandem with other ingredients in the formulation to promote overall skin health
Tatcha The Essence Pros & Cons
Here is a look at some key pros and cons to bear in mind prior to purchase:
- Cruelty-free company: company does not test on any animals, using any animal product during any manufacturing processes or use any product in their formulations
- Every product SKU is donated toward supporting funding girls learning to read in impoverished nations, helping to alleviate poverty and increase chances at further employment
- Anti-aging benefits: product helps treats fine lines, wrinkles, signs of aging, sun spots, and over continual time with daily use, signs of hyper-pigmentation
- Product helps with the further absorption of any other topical product used after that
- Helps to soften and brighten signs of sallow skin, evens out texture, and promotes softness and glow
- Skin appears more soft, supple, glowing, youthful, and has an overall more glowing and attractive aesthetic
- Product feels incredibly lightweight and is never greasy, heavy or sticky on the skin
- Product was not irritating, triggering and did not create and redness or acne even with very sensitive and acne-prone skin
- Product seems to outperform every other product I have tried in the category and is certainly a leader in the market, for those seeking a go- to daily essence
- As with most TATCHA products, they do not run cheap, however this product provides longevity as well as multi-use value: it can be used to improve the use of any other topical product applied following, consequently adding value
Especially considering the price point or if you do not typically use essence type treatment products, the return policy in this case may be a highly important factor for you.
The manufacturer, TATCHA, has a strong return and exchange policy that honors full refunds upon dissatisfaction or allergy, and this policy favors the consumer, both new and returning. If you are dissatisfied with the use of the essence, or if it does not work for your skin to provide suitable hydrating or anti-aging benefits, or you experience any product allergy or reaction to the formulation, you may elect to return it at any time.
In this case, you will receive a full refund equal to the entire purchase price of the item. If the item was received as a gift (without receipt), the policy applies for an even exchange, and this policy is applicable to online purchase, as individual store policy may vary depending on location and distributer.
If you feel the policy if not taken into consideration, you may contact customer service, and you can remain ensured you will receive a full refund.
I was happy to discover that the formulation was gentle enough to use even with very sensitive skin and did not cause any breakouts, but due to price barriers or sensitivity concerns this policy may help assuage fears, as individual allergies are highly variable.
While I felt compared to the longevity and benefits this was a worthy splurge, this is a highly individual choice, and only one you as a consumer can decide on. It is also a product that may help you make other products last longer, as others tend to work with such increased efficacy and absorption when used in tandem.
Tatcha The Essence: Does It Work?
If you’re seeking an essence product that is suitable for brightening benefits, restored radiance, and offers incredible anti-aging benefits in conjunction with all of the same benefits as a classic essence product (i.e. other products work much better following use)- I would highly recommend this product free of any reservations.
While it is pricey, a small amount of product goes a long way, supports transparent practices, and really supplements the needs for other additional products, adding to both value and longevity.
I would highly encourage current fans of the trending K-Beauty brand as well as those new to the category to give this product a go- as you won’t be let down by the benefits with consistent daily topical use.
Recommended, and definitely 5/5 stars! This product is worth the hype!