TATCHA is a brand I’ve come to know and adore for a bevy of beautiful skincare products that restore radiance for dry skin and improve balance for all types of skin. Most of the products are safe and highly suitable for even the most sensitive skin, and all contain non-irritating ingredients that are free of any parabens, sulfates, or harsh chemical additives. There are some other factors of differentiation that make this by far one of the best brands in the luxury beauty category.
While the products are as effective as others in its category that go for 4-5 times the cost (and while the brand is certainly still not cheap by any stretch), the company also contributes to a lot of charitable causes and supports a high degree of transparency. The are cruelty-free and support sustainable and environmentally friendly practices.
A portion of all proceeds from every product are donated to helping girls learn to read in impoverished nations, hoping to improve literacy and employment rates, and combat poverty by encouraging better quality equations. The companies CEO,Victoria Tsai had a background in corporate management but after developing her own topical condition, wanted to purse making clean and effective products rooted in simplicity and designed to treat all skin types, even the most sensitive skin.
While I have tried several TATCHA cleansers, the bestseller collection, The Violet-C Radiance Mask, and the Water Cream with glowing results, it was difficult to pick out a new go-to. While I also replenished the mist found in the kit, curiosity and a natural proclivity for spontaneity and new venture (within the confines of the cosmetics world), I decided to try out the Indigo Cream Smoothing Skin Protectant.Before we begin, make sure you’re ordering TATCHA from a legitimate retailer, NOT from a counterfeit seller. For your convenience, here is the Amazon link to an authentic TATCHA retailer.
Formulated for all skin types, including the most sensitive skin, the cream is velvety rich and provides brightening hydration and anti-aging benefits. While is is actually quite effective with respect to benefits, the cream has actually show signs of improving topical conditions such as eczema, dermatitis, rosacea and allergies. It is noncomedogenic, dermatologist-tested, non-irritating, and non-sensitizing, and fragrance-free. This review will cover some main product features, positives and to bear in mind prior to purchase, and some key ingredients and their corresponding benefits with everyday topical use.
The Main Features
The Indigo Cream Soothing Skin Protectant is a 1.7oz fragrance free moisturizer designed to provide relief for sensitive skin and to hydrate the skin. The formulation is so gentle than even those with the most sensitive skin types can use it, including those with various topical conditions. It’s designed to treat redness, irritation, and uneven texture. It’s also extremely lightweight, even though it restores hydration significantly in even the dryest skin types. In comparison to the Water Cream, it hydrates just as well, but is more geared for soothing redness and treating sensitive skin, rather than advanced anti-aging benefits. The cream glides on quite comfortably, with a cushion-like texture, that leaves the skin equal parts firm and smooth. Natural Japanese Indigo extract calms and soothes skin. The formula contains colloidal oatmeal, which is recognized by the FDA for eczema relief, adding to the additional benefit of being helpful for those with skincare conditions seeking topical relief. It acts like a protective second skin to provent from environmental damage that hydrates and binds into the natural moisture of the skin, and helps to relieve any irritation, redness, or minor abrasions at the surface level. Sophora Japonica, an extract from the white flowers of the Japanese pagoda tree, visibly improves skin texture and elasticity, while Hadasei-3, a trinity of anti-aging Japanese superfoods imparts a healthy-looking, youthful radiance. The latter is a proprietary blend of ingredients that cannot be found with any other skincare product. I would definitely recommend using this if you’re sensitive or have a topical condition and are seeking a great every day go to moisturizer that’s naturally based in ingredients and formulations.
Ingredients and Benefits
TATCHA tends to use highly naturally based ingredients in its formulations that are devoid of any harsh chemical additives, parabens, and sulfates. The brand employs its own proprietary blend to product a special emulsion that results in improved radiance and balance. Here are a look at some key ingredients with everyday topical use and their corresponding benefits:
- Helps balance, nourish and soften the skin, with a soft and nourishing feeling following use, that is firm yet tight
- For those trying to seek sallow or full skin, this ingredient helps improve overall radiance, skin glow, and vibrancy, restoring a vibrant new complexion
- Helps improve the aesthetic of any rough patches, dry skin, and any dull areas on the skin or body
- Helps improve the appearance of uneven skin, while restoring smoothness of texture
- Helps protect skin, forming a barrier, and helps restore depleted hydration
- Relieves skin irritation, redness, and breakouts (has anti-inflammatory properties)
- Can be very helpful in the treatment of topical conditions, particularly eczema and atopic dermatitis, so this is generally a very safe and gentle ingredient
- Ideal in soothing and treating very sensitive skin types requiring repair
Company founder Victoria Tsia developed Tatcha’s proprietary blend of Japanese anti-aging superfoods, after spending time understanding Japanese minimalism and skin routine via travel. Her special emulsion is completely unique to the brand and trademarked, so you will not find it any other cosmetics product or found in the product of a different company or manufacturer. It contains green tea, wild rice and algae, which work together harmoniously to restore a a radiant glow and delivery a soft, dewy complexion that is fully brightened and even. The ingredient can help create firmer skin that is also soft and supple. Advanced anti-aging benefits are experienced over time, The ingredients in the blend and their corresponding use with everyday topical use can be found below.
- Algae is extremely dense in vitamins and nutrients that support skin health and promote a more radiant aesthetic, that’s fully rejuvenated and glowing
- Algae may provide exfoliating benefits: algae helps in removing buildup and debris from the suffer level of the skin, and treating dead skin to prevent congestion
- May help in anti0acne benefits, cleansing skin and eliminating bacteria that causes it
- Detoxifies the skin and provides exfoliation while providing suitable hydration benefits and brightening the complexion
- Replenishes vitamins and minerals to the skin, good overall skin health and a glowing and more radiant aesthetic
- Anti-aging benefits: while algae is soft and hydrating, it also helps to minimize the appearance of sun damage, lines, fine lines, and wrinkles, with continual use over time
- With use over time for a long period, may help address signs of hyper-pigmentation or more advanced aging concerns
- Works in tandem with the other ingredients in the formulation to promote brightness, smooth skin, and a more youthful looking appearance
- Acts as a barrier and protects the skin from UVB rays (which cause burns) and prevent sun damage, or any other environmental damage, like pollution or smog
- Anti-acne benefits: helps reduce blemishes and fights signs of acne, as well as fighting acne causing bacteria which leads to new breakouts, for those prone to breakouts, which may assuage fears in those who seem to break out with the use of any product
- For those with dry skin, helps repair and restore skin and repairs any depleted hydration
- Provides balance for oily complexions or combination complexions
- Contains flavonoid compounds and natural antioxidants that benefit skin health, and restore radiance
- Helps to brighten the complexion, working in tandem with other ingredients in the formulation
- Fights skin cancer by promoting DNA repair and cellular turnover, protecting from sun damage and toxins
- Protects against free radical damage in the environment, creating a protective barrier on the skin, working in tandem with other ingredients
- B2 contained in green tea extract helps maintains structure and firmness to the skin, anti-aging properties including minimizing the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles
- With continual long term use over time, may help minimize the appearance of any sun spots or signs of hyper-pigmentation
- Soothing and nourishing to damaged or burned skin
- Fights any preexisting DNA damage caused by sun damage (UVB rays-ones that cause burns and damage to the dermis)
- Hydrates any depleted moisture to help balance and soften skin
- Helps balance skins texture to restore balance and even out tone
- Antibacterial agent that treats and prevents acne and breakouts, prevents the formation of new acne blemishes and acne-causing bacteria
- Vitamin E is found in large quantities in green tea extract, which supports skin cell growth and expedites cellular turnover while hydrating the skin for anti-aging benefits, providing moisture benefits for all skin types, even very dry skin, and is safe for sensitive skin
Positives and Negatives
- Excellent treatment for soothing redness or topical conditions
- Extremely hydrating, for those with any dryness or dullness
- Safe and suitable for all skin types, including very sensitive skin, and is safe for those with topical conditions (such as eczema, dermatitis, allergies, and more)
- Cruelty-free company: company does not test on animals or use any animal product to make any of its formulations or during any manufacturing process
- Did not break out or irritate or cause any reaction or redness even with very sensitive skin, that is also acne-prone
- Feels quite rich yet lightweight, and is never sticky or greasy on the skin
- Does not leave behind any residue
- Comes with a spatula to control product use and for hygiene
- Longevity: very little use is required to actually work and cover the entire face and neck areas
- Product is free of any parabens, sulfates, or any harsh chemical additives
- For those trying to treat dull or sallow skin: a more radiant aesthetic can be appreciated following use
- Product helps in evening out skin texture
- Product brightens, creating a dewy complexion, and treats the beginning signs of aging
- Those with dry and red skin can expect to awaken in the morning to a softer complexion with more hydration and a dewy aesthetic
- Incredibly calming and healing: ideal for those seeking to treat topic conditions, redness, and promote radiance for dull skin
- Cream definitely promotes both firmer and softer seeming skin, and overall skin appears more youthful (however with this formulation, the soothing and hydrating components seem to be the key benefits of use)
- Environmentally-friendly company which strives to practice sustainability
- Just as effective as many counterparts in the luxury beauty category for slightly less (often 4-6 times less in expense)
- Portions of every proceed are donated to supporting to charitable donations, primarily helping girls in impoverished nations learn to read, to conquer and alleviate poverty while improving employment rates and opportunity
- Odor-free with no additional fragrances or harsh dyes
- While $85 is certainly not cheap for any skincare product, it is important to bear in mind that TATCHA products are generally comparable to luxury skincare likes at prices 4-7 times greater, so if this a product you can afford to indulge in sometimes, it’s definitely effective and the go-to splurge
- While this seems incredibly uncommon, I did notice a couple of users claim the product caused them breakouts with acne-prone skin
- While I really enjoyed the texture, some feel it is slightly sticky or tacky (for those who feel that way you may prefer the Water Cream, or using the product with a serum)
The manufacturer, TATCHA, has a strong return and exchange policy that honors full refunds upon dissatisfaction or allergy, and this policy favors the consumer, both new and returning. If you are dissatisfied with the use of the cream, or if it does not work for your skin to provide suitable hydrating benefits, or you experience any product allergy or reaction to the formulation, you may elect to return it at any time. In this case, you will receive a full refund equal to the entire purchase price of the item. If the item was received as a gift (without receipt), the policy applies for an even exchange, and this policy is applicable to online purchase, as individual store policy may vary depending on location and distributer. I was happy to discover that the formulation was gentle enough to use even with very sensitive skin and did not cause any breakouts, but due to price barriers or sensitivity concerns this policy may help assuage fears. However, it’s important to denote this particular SKU is designed to be hypoallergenic, and safe a suitable even for those with very sensitive skin or topical conditions.
The Final Verdict
TATCHA’s Indigo Cream Smoothing Skin Protectant is ideal for those seeking a go-to daily moisturizer to treat signs of redness, dullness, and dryness. While there are some anti-aging benefits as well, this formulation is mainly designed to treat very sensitive and dry skin. It is incredibly gentle and safe and suitable for all skin types, even those with topical conditions, and it is hypoallergenic. Those trying to treat redness will be very pleased to discover immediate results, and hydration is fully restored. While this can also be used for combination or oily skin to restore balance, I would mainly recommend this specific product for those who are a bit dryer, may be seeking preventative anti-aging benefits, or may be looking to calm down skin that is red or inflamed. The overwhelming majority of those with incredibly sensitive, red, or irritated skin reported wonderful benefits and a definitely noticeable increase for the aforementioned topical concerns. So if you like clean ingredients, and you are trying to combat irritating while using a daily moisturizer than actually works, this product is highly recommended!