Philosophy’s Amazing Grace Eau de Toilette Set (or Philosophy Holiday Set) is a floral and feminine collection that is sure to impress any gift recipient on your annual list, and also a perfect gift to the self (or introductory item)- as it can only be described as classical beauty.
At an incredible steal compared to a retail cost individually of over $100, the set proves economical, soft, and clean in one go. For those who are not typically fans of perfume, the included scent is devoid of any harsh chemical odors or artificial fragrance, completely headache-free, and also includes a hydrating wash and body lotion.
While I was previously familiar with the line for their collection of holiday lotions and potions, with names like “Christmas Cookie,” “Snowman,” and “Pumpkin Spice,” the Amazing Grace line has a cult-following and proves to be one of the most popular brand products– with a long history of being a brand bestseller for years.
The bestselling and award-winning fragrance is a blend of powdery florals, with key notes of musk and Lily of the Valley. Notes of fresh bergamot pair with clean muguet blossoms to produce a soft and clean scent that lingers on the skin and clothes throughout the day.
For those interested in the collection, the hydrating (non drying) shower gel formulation and moisturizing lotion can be used prior to applying the fragrance for a layering effect that will linger even longer.
This item makes a wonderful gifting option for those on your list who enjoy cosmetics and beauty items, a great introductory item for those new to the brand looking to try out some of the cult-favorite products, and an excellent option for current fans of philosophy products looking for variety at a great discount in comparison to retail value.
This review will cover some main product overview features, briefer reviews on the included products in the set, some key ingredients and corresponding benefits with topical use, a few key pros and cons to bear in mind prior to purchase, as well as a final verdict, to help you make a more informed purchasing choice prior to purchase.
The Main Features
Philosophy Amazing Grace Eau de Toilette Set includes one 120 milk EDT spray, one multi-use 480 ml shampoo, bath, and shower gel, and one 480 ml firming body lotion.
All of the included products are safe and suitable for those of all skin types, and prove nourishing and hydrating. None of the products contain any parabens, sulfates, or harsh chemical additives- and the company is cruelty-free.
All of the included products are gently fragranced with a blend of bergamot, musk, lily of the valley, and muguet blossoms, forming a gentle emulsion that is soft, clean, and feminine. Fans of light fragranced products that actually last and linger on the skin without creating any artificial odors or harsh chemical scents will likely appreciate the fine blend of ingredients that forms into a light and gentle odor.
As a cult-favorite product for the brand, many fans agree on the benefits of use with the product along with the pleasant and soft fragrance associated with the entire line.
The Included Products
Here are some more concise reviews on the included products in the set prior to purchase or purchasing consideration:
480 mL Shampoo, Bath & Shower Gel
This product offers an incredibly gentle and lovely scent while providing excellent multi-use benefits. It can be used as a shampoo, used to create bubble bath (creating a lot of bubbles and sud without much product needed), and used as a shower gel.
When used as a shower gel, I felt skin was left feeling supple and hydrated, and it did not strip or dry out the skin at all (as many other products in the category tend to do). Alternatively, skin was left feeling soft and smooth, and using the lotion right out of the shower simply added to benefits and layered on the beautiful and soft scent, which is quite feminine and lingers throughout the day.
When used as a bubble bath, I was extremely surprised to see it actually worked in providing an entire bath of bubbles, even with minimal product needed.
When used as a shampoo, it was hydrating and nourishing, and did not dry out my hair at all (which is typically prone to drying even using the best conditioning products available).
I would definitely recommend this product if you’re looking for a multi-use product that leaves the skin fresh, soft, and fully hydrated- and has a lovely fresh scent that is not overpowering and perfect for a “right out of the shower” fragrance.
120 mL Eau de Toilette Spray
Even as a semi-novice to the perfume industry and not someone who generally opts to wear fragrance on a day to day basis, generally due to a sense of them being overpowering, creating headaches, or trepidation as to how it will be received by those around, I was extremely pleased with the Amazing Grace EDT.
This is a product I would recommend to fans of light fragrances that are soft and feminine, without containing any artificial type scents.
I noticed I received many compliments, and the scent definitely lingered throughout the day on clothes and the skin. When used following the shower gel and lotion for a layering effect, you can expect the scent to last even longer and obtain exponential benefits with use.
Only a small amount of product is needed to produce fragrance, adding to value and product longevity. Notes of fresh bergamot combine with light musk to produce a powdery fragrance with a subtle citrus after-scent.
I would highly recommend this product if you are a fan of gentle fragrances that still prove to last on the skin and body without being overpowering, or if you’re a fan of soft and elegant fragrances.
It is important to note that due to body chemistry fragrance in general is always open to individual interpretation, meaning the scent may not work for you- or you may opt to sample it first. However, it has certainly developed quite the fan base, and the majority of users seem to really enjoy the scent following first time use.
Even if you have any initial trepidation regarding the use of fragrance product, this is definitely a great jumping off point and recommended for those who enjoy a subtle and pleasant fragrance.
480 mL Firming Body Emulsion
This luxurious firming body lotion is designed to hydrate, replenish, and nourish even the most dry skin (although it is also balancing and suitable for those of all skin types).
From the manufacturer, “Infused with the amazingly clean, beautifully feminine scent of philosophy’s bestselling Amazing Grace fragrance, this firming body emulsion is an award-winning moisturizer for dry skin. Enriched with shea butter and natural oils, like olive and macadamia, this skin-loving formula softens and soothes while helping to replenish and maintain skin’s natural moisture barrier for skin that feels velvety soft—never greasy. It also features a powerful antioxidant blend that helps protect skin from environmental attack and a firming ingredient to help tone. Layer with other Amazing Grace products to feel amazingly clean and beautifully feminine from head to toe.”
The scent is nothing short of gorgeous and light, and following use the body feels completely hydrated.
With that in mind, the product is never greasy or sticky, and is highly absorbing. Skin feels silky and smooth after use, and the scent lingers (without being overpowering or containing any harsh chemical ingredients).
As far as any firming properties, to be honest there was not much of a difference other than a light sheen left on the body following use. But with that in mind, if you are seeking a suitable body moisturizer that will hydrate and treat any dry patches without creating any grease or product residue, this is definitely one of the best products I have tried in the category.
Ingredients and Benefits
For those of us with sensitive skin, reading ingredients on topical products can be as important as noticing the ingredients contained in the foods we eat or groceries we purchase to avoid any type of skin reactivity or allergic reaction. With that in mind, here are a couple of key ingredients contained in the firming body lotion included in the set:
- Acts as a skin “superfood”: the natural, rich texture provides a high degree of hydration and binds moisture to the surface of the skin
- Anti-inflammatory properties help the ingredient expedite healing rates on any redness, irritation, skin reactivity and topical condition or skin flaking
- Emollient properties and its semisolid nature helps the skin absorb product more effectively and it is extremely hydrating for dry, parched skin
- Gentle and nourishing (suitable and safe for even those with very sensitive skin)
- When absorbed by the skin, this creates a smooth and soft barrier that seals in moisture and is incredibly absorbing, without feeling greasy or sticky
- Benefits have a strong 24 hour moisture hold, meaning skin will remain smooth and soft for hours after use
- Anti-aging benefits: even though this is an ingredient used in the body moisturizer provided, firming benefits are possible via this ingredient (and it is often used for fine lines and wrinkles in facial product)
- Consistent daily use may even help prevent sun spots, acne scarring, stretch marks and other common concerns on the body
- Suitable for all skin types (including sensitive), this ingredient is non-comedogenic and hypoallergenic
- Macadamia nut oil is the closest match to naturally occurring sebum in the skin, and contains squalene and oleic acid that assist with cell regeneration, helping to hydrate and repair dry skin and dry patches
- Creates a natural protective barrier on the skin to prevent from environmental damage and dehydration
- Anti-inflammatory properties help in repairing and expediting healing rates of burns, scratches, wounds, and other forms of any topical irritation
- Easily absorbing into the skin, the ingredient hydrates without causing any greasy or sticky feelings, or leaving behind any topical residue
- As a natural sun protective factor found in nature, this product can have protective qualities against UVA/UVB radiation when used in conjunction with an SPF product
- For dull or sallow skin: helps promote a more radiant aesthetic and glow (which applies to the body and tightening effects as well)
- Fatty acids contained in the ingredient help to soften, repair, smoothen, and hydrate skin of all types while alleviating any dull or dry patches on the body
Positives and Negatives
Here are a look at some key positives and negatives to bear in mind prior to purchase that may help you make a more accurate or informed choice prior to any point of sale:
- The set is a wonderful value in comparison to retail cost, and sells for half of what the included products would retail for individually
- The perfume included in the set is quite natural and light, providing a scent that lingers throughout the day without any overpowering artificial type qualities and never inducing headaches
- Cruelty-free company: none of the products included in the set are tested on animals, and no animal product is used during any manufacturing process or in the making of the products themselves
- With two full size products included and a generous sized perfume, the set offers incredible value and longevity, even with continual daily use
- The body wash included in the set is very balancing and hydrating, with a soft and clean scent, that never leaves the skin feeling dry or stripped following use
- The lotion provided in the set is hydrating and balancing, and never feelings greasy, heavy, or sticky on the skin (highly absorbing)- it also provides a gentle and clean scent with no harsh artificial odor
- Excellent item as a gift for recipients in your life who enjoy skincare or cosmetics products, and suitable for all skin types (including sensitive)
- All included products are devoid of any parabens, sulfates, or harsh chemical additives
- None of the included products created any topical redness, rash, irritation, or breakouts even with sensitive and acne-prone skin (though spot testing is always recommended with the use of all topical products)
- The set makes an excellent introductory item for those new to the brand seeking to try out some bestselling products
- If you are already a fan of the brand, this is a great way to try out some new products with variety and at an excellent value by retail comparison
- If you are fan of light floral scents, you will likely enjoy the perfume included in the set, and may enjoy a layering process (using the shower gel and lotion prior for exponential benefits)
- While this makes a wonderful gifting option for those on your list who enjoy fragrance, cosmetics, and skincare items, fragrance gifts are admittedly often a more “daring” gift approach unless you are already certain of your recipient’s preferences- with that in mind you may always refer to the money-back guarantee policy to ensure that return and exchange are always possible in the event this is not the right fit
- Price: while in comparison to the $130+ retail value, this set is available for half the cost, though some may still consider this a high price point for the category depending on budget (if this is a gifting option, you may always wish to break down the set into smaller gifts, and it is still important to realize the value in the set- which contains two long-lasting full size items in conjunction with an EDT formulated with only the finest ingredients)
Especially considering this gift and item includes a fragrance, which can be highly specific and open to individual consideration, the return and exchange policy may be a highly important factor for you in this case.
The manufacturer, Philosophy, has a strong return and exchange policy that honors full refunds upon dissatisfaction or allergy, this policy generally favors the consumer, new and returning included.
If you are dissatisfied with the use of the products, or if they do not work for your skin to provide suitable benefits, or you experience any product allergy or reaction to the formulations, you may elect to return the entire set. In this case, you will receive a full refund equal to the entire purchase price of the full kit.
One must bear in mind that you will need to return the entire set, as individual items within the kit are not available for return. It may assuage fears to know the products are formulated with safe, natural ingredients, is free of parabens and sulfates, making (most) of the products suitable for even the most sensitive skin, barring any specific allergy to an individual ingredient.
This policy applies for online purchases, individual store purchases may vary. I did not experience any redness, irritation, or breakouts even with very sensitive and acne-prone skin from the lotion or shower gel included, however individual spot testing is always recommended.
If you experience any issues or concerns with this policy, you may always reach out to the manufacturer or online merchant customer service team to ensure you are provided with a full refund.
The Final Verdict
I would highly recommend Philosophy’s Amazing Grace Eau de Toilette Set, even if you are not a typical avid fan or consumer in the fragrance category.
All of the products work in tandem to hydrate and nourish the skin while delivering a soft and delicate fragrance, which tends to yield many compliments throughout the day.
Unlike many EDTs on the market or in the category, the fragrance included in the set actually lingers on the clothes and body for hours, without being overpowering or artificial.
As a gifting option, this is ideal for recipients in your life who are fragrance or cosmetics fans. If you are already a Philosophy fan, I would also highly recommend checking out this cult-favorite collection, which comes at an incredible discount in comparison to retail value.
As mentioned, for best results, using the shower gel (or using this product as a shampoo or bubble bath), followed by the lotion and perfume, will generally yield the best results and blend to form a lovely and feminine scent that lingers and makes the entire body feel soft and nourished.
Highly recommended, even for fragrance novices!