While I am usually a bit skeptical about concealer products and have certainly tried many over the years, Milk Makeup is a company that rarely fails me, and after trying their phenomenal starter “Meet The Fam” Kit and Sunshine Oil, I certainly had high hopes for this multi-use product with skincare and cosmetics benefits to use.
After experimenting with everything from drugstore brand products to concealers upwards of $70 (the infamous cle de peau), I was admittedly a bit skeptical about trying yet another brand, but like approaching every and any new product with fairness and optimism, particularly if it is a brand I have already dabbled in with great success.
Formulated in 16 different shades, this long-wear full-coverage concealer is both vegan and gluten-free (as with all Milk Makeup products), and formulated free of any parabens, sulfates, and harsh chemical additives. It is suitable for all skin types, including sensitive skin, and designed to conceal the appearance of fine lines, wrinkles, or dark circles under the eyes.
It can also be used on other areas of the face, to cover blemishes, highlight the cheeks, or be placed on the bridge of the nose for a slimmer aesthetic. Additionally, the product formulation is creamy and hydrating, and formulated with Vitamin E, Billberry Extract, and Blue Lotus, to condition the skin and prevent from further dryness and dehydration around the area.
Behind the brand and from the manufacturer, a growing a trending company that’s taken off within the past couple of years and remains a leader in the industry, “Milk Makeup is an, eco-conscious, innovative brand with products made of the best possible ingredients. They see beauty in originality, authenticity, and design multi-use products for self-expression to help you Live Your Look. At Milk Makeup, there are no rules. Flex Concealer is vegan, cruelty-free, and gluten-free.”
Their transparent practices, effective and quality products, and fine ingredients contained in the formulations remain solid factors of differentiation in a crowded category, and there is a distinctive sense of caring and conscientiousness about the consumer and varying demographics that will be using their products. Not many brands can attest to a certain sense of vigilance when it comes to considering gluten sensitive consumers in conjunction with developing incredible products that last and work.
This review will cover some main product features, key ingredients and benefits with corresponding topical use, some main positives and negatives to bear in mind prior to purchase, and a final verdict, to help you make a more informed purchasing choice prior to any point of sale.
The Main Features
This concealer has full coverage that lasts all day and is both highly buildable and blendable. It glides smoothly on to the skin and delivers a matte finish, without the need for any powder product. It feels extremely lightweight on the skin and does not cling to any dry patches or create any redness, irritation, reactivity, or breakouts.
It never rubs off and completely conceals the appearance of dark circles with a high degree of pigment and the finish is incredibly natural. A very small amount of product goes a very long way, so you can expect a high degree of product longevity using this as well.
It is extremely breathable and cannot be felt on the skin following use or application, and even if you are suffering from very tired looking eyes or significant dark circles, you can expect a high degree of coverage with a long hold that will not smudge or require reapplication throughout the day without any creasing.
The color lists are extensive and not only highly pigmented but take into account undertone as well, so you can anticipate a very high color match that is nearly identical to skin color in natural or artificial lighting irrespective of skin color and suitable for specific undertones as well.
Using this product, not only were dark circles completely covered with a long (9 hour) hold without any rubbing off or dryness, there was no creasing or clinging to dry patches. The product was not at all irritating to the eye area and I did not experience any redness, irritation, breakouts, or reactivity at all, even around the sensitive under-eye area. I felt the product was hydrating and provided very strong and long wear coverage, and was priced well considering the longevity, benefits, and efficacy.
If you are seeking a concealer product for circles, blemishes, the nasal area, or any other treatment areas, I would highly recommend this product, as it’s one of the best I’ve tried on the market and in the category, and once again Milk Makeup did not disappoint, providing a clean product with a wonderful formulation that offered results and efficacy upon use.
My favorite product feature and perhaps the best factor of differentiation here are the multi-use benefits, in terms of both providing suitable skincare hydration and protection in conjunction with full coverage and long-hold wear with a matte finish.
In terms of skincare benefits with ongoing daily topical use, below you will find a list of ingredients contained in the formulation and some key benefits:
Ingredients and Benefits
Especially for those of us with sensitive skin, understanding the ingredients and corresponding benefits in topical products can be extremely important, often as important as reading or understanding food labels. With that said, Milk Makeup never includes gluten, parabens, sulfates, or artificial additives in any of their products. Here is a look at some key product ingredients and their main benefits with ongoing daily topical application:
- Suitable for treatment of many topical conditions, and safe for sensitive skin
- Protects the skin by forming a protective barrier
- Helps contribute to a smoother, softer, and more radiant overall aesthetic
- Protects skin from sun damage naturally and heals from prior damage
- Neutralizes the effects of free radical damage from pollution and UV radiation
- Anti-aging benefits: helps address concerns like fine lines, wrinkles, and over time hyper-pigmentation and sun spots
- Compliments SPF and helps further fight the harmful effects of sun damage
- Keeps skin hydrated, while helping to calm and soothe the skin
- Acts as an anti-inflammatory, can help with skin rash, itch or irritation
- Brightens the skin naturally and reduces signs of uneven tone and discoloration, promoting an even and smooth overall tone
- Over time, helps minimize and decrease the appearance of hyper-pigmentation and sun spots
- Improves hydration and moisture, helps bind moisture into the skin and restores any depleted hydration
- Acts as an anti-inflammatory and expedites healing rates
- Helps in treating infection and decreasing bacteria on the skin
- Attracts moisture to the skin, which is very absorbing and leaves the skin smooth and soft
- Anti-acne benefits: helps prevent acne and bacteria that causes blemishes, decreasing breakouts, blackheads and whiteheads, particularly in the t-zone area
- Anti-inflammatory properties help in treating any topical redness or irritation
- Soothing and nourishing to the skin, cooling and cleansing
- Helps in providing a hydrating cleanse that still leaves skin smooth and free of any dirt or oil, without drying out or stripping the skin of natural oil
- Helps in depleting any lost hydration and soothes very dry skin
- Anti-aging benefits: with continual daily use over time, fights signs of aging such as fine lines, wrinkles, sun spots, and with longterm use signs of hyperpigmentation
- Helps in providing moisture to the skin that is very absorbing and provides a long moisture hold
- Suitable for both very dry skin, combination skin, sensitive skin, and acne-prone skin
- Prevents flaky skin and provides complete hydration for those experiencing any dryness or loss of moisture
- Anti-acne benefits: helps prevent blemishes and the bacteria that lead to breakouts, helps prevent future acne and blackheads/whiteheads
- Helps with oil control and balance for those with oily or combination complexions
- For those experiencing dullness or sallow skin, helps restore radiance and glow, delivering a soft and dewy aesthetic to the skin
- Works in tandem with other ingredients in the formulation to restore total skincare health, glow and aesthetic
Positives and Negatives
In terms of positives and negatives, I found the overwhelming majority of benefits to use and multi-use benefits to outweigh the costs and any negatives associated with the use of the product (mainly being in the product manufacturing of the device). With that said, compared to the vast majority of the products I have tried on the market, this one far outweighed performance in comparison. Prior to purchase, here are some key pros and cons to consider:
- Vegan and cruelty-free company: company does not test on any animals, use any animal product during manufacturing processes, or use any animal products in formulations (including beeswax)
- Formulation is clean and naturally based and contains no gluten, parabens, sulfates, or harsh chemical additives
- Product has a very strong pigment and full coverage that is capable of concealing very dark circles, and can also be used to conceal blemishes or other skin imperfections (or swept on the nasal bridge for a slimming effect)
- Product is not irritating to the skin and does not dry or create any creasing or cling to any fine lines or dry patches on the skin
- Eco-friendly company with transparent and environmentally friendly and sustainable practices
- Product comes in a wide array of pigments and formulations to ensure nearly identical color matches that account for all skin complexions and tones, including undertones
- Suitable multi-use benefits: product has both skincare/hydrating benefits as well as cosmetics benefits with topical use
- Suitable for all skin types, even the most sensitive skin, barring any specific allergy to an ingredient contained in the product formulation
- Even with high-coverage, the product feels extremely lightweight and highly breathable on the skin and does not clog the pores or break out the skin with topical use
- Easy and portable for on-the-go use and application
- Excellent as a spot treatment for those who suffer from acne or are seeking products to alleviate and disguise the appearances of blemishes
- Lovely and light scent that is devoid of any harsh chemical odors or heavy perfumes (for those sensitive to heavy odors)
- Does not create any flaking on the skin following application
- The applicator brush makes for an easy application that glides on the skin easily and smoothly
- The packaging of the product itself definitely requires an update or fix in terms of manufacturing, as product leaks out and tends to spill into the container even when locked or spilled
- While compared to product benefits, longevity, coverage, and use, this is definitely an item that offers quite a bit of value, some may still consider the price (at just under $30) as pricey considering the category, however it is important to bear in mind that this is a product formulated with very high quality ingredients that will prove the test of time and is multi-use (in terms of both cosmetics coverage and skincare benefits)
- While I did not experience this personally, some users did feel the product created creasing under the eye area or clung to dry patches, and while this seemed to be a minority opinion, this is certainly something that can happen with any matte finish concealer or foundation product (it may be advisable for those that encounter this issue continually to add a tiny drop of serum or oil into the product for an easier glide on or more radiant finish that evens out a bit more smoothly, as this can be encountered with nearly any product in the category)
Especially considering the product category can be tricky, the return policy in this case may be a highly important factor for you.
The manufacturer, Milk Makeup, has a strong return and exchange policy that honors full refunds upon dissatisfaction or allergy, and this policy favors the consumer, both new and returning, and exercises extremely transparent business practices.
If you are dissatisfied with the use of the concealer, or if it does not work for your skin to provide suitable benefits, or you experience any product allergy or reaction to the formulation, you may elect to return it at any time. In this case, you will receive a full refund equal to the entire purchase price of the item.
If the item was received as a gift (without receipt or with only gift receipt in store), the policy generally applies for an even exchange, and this policy is applicable to online purchases, as individual store policies may vary depending on location and distributer.
If you feel the policy if not taken into consideration, you may contact customer service, and you can remain ensured you will receive a full refund and help with any concerns or issues.
I was happy to discover that the formulation was gentle enough to use even with very sensitive skin and did not cause any breakouts, but due to price barriers or sensitivity concerns this policy may help assuage fears, as individual allergies are highly variable. While I felt compared to the longevity and benefits this was a worthy splurge (and not extremely pricey in comparison to others in the category), this is a highly individual choice, and only one you as a consumer can decide on.
It’s a difficult category to shop in, but I found the product truly worked.
The Final Verdict
Out of countless products, including those at higher price points, I have tried in the category previously, Milk Makeup’s Flex Concealer did not disappoint and absolutely exceeded my initial expectations, which considering the category were not incredibly high, as it is a challenging one (at least in my prior experience).
Using this product, dark circles are somehow magically erased, and the product offers a smudge-free long wear with full coverage that is very buildable and still offers a natural aesthetic.
It did not crease or cling to dry patches, and provided a refreshing and hydrating feeling following application. Additionally, the product is gluten-free and vegan, and suitable for all skin types, especially for those who are sensitive, particularly around the eye area.
If you’re looking for a matte finish product to conceal blemishes or cover up dark circles that provides a long wear and does not smudge throughout the day, and offers a high amount of coverage that still proves highly breathable, I would absolutely recommend this product.
While it is not inexpensive, it definitely offers value and exceeds benefits, use, and longevity in comparison to others in the market in the same category, even those at higher price points.
If you’re someone who has seemingly tried everything to cover up spots or circles in the past without success, I would definitely suggest giving this product a go, as it is a true standout and very different than most formulations available (in the most positive way possible).