Between city pollution, stress, and general aging, a lot can happen around the delicate eye area that create multiple issues and common concerns.
The skin around the eye is about 7-8 times more sensitive and thin that skin on the general face and neck, which means it generally requires treatment by more gentle product, and a standalone product designed specifically for the area. While I’ve tried multiple eye products before with limited success, along with serums
designed as multi-use for the eye area and entire face (it was always a wish to find a multi-use product to save time and money), I actually found visible results and a change while using this product. In terms of eye gels, creams, and serums, prior to trying this product out I had almost given up in the category entirely, as it just seemed nothing genuinely worked or lived up to any initial claims, and it seemed rather tedious and time consuming to spend energy on another step in a beauty regimen, particularly twice daily. But for the review and the purpose of giving a product a fair shot, I stuck with the routine and made such to incorporate using the product into a daily regimen, twice daily.
I was frustrated at not seeing visible results quickly, but in time came to appreciate benefits, and it’s certainly become a product I would recommend.
The Main Features
Biossance’s Peptide and Squalane Eye Gel is a lightweight formulation with a gel texture that refreshes, hydrates and smoothes the eye area. It’s suitable for all skin types, and free of any mineral oils, sulfates and parabens.
The eye area appears more awake, dark circles are treated successfully, puffiness decreases, the eye area appears more hydrated and awake, and even signs of fine lines and wrinkles around and below the eye are treated. The product doesn’t feel heavy, greasy, or thick upon application. Results are visible and fairly quickly, with noticeable improvements upon twice daily consistent use at around 2-3 weeks time. The peptide-rich formula is safe and gentle, but offers benefits including visible rejuvenation and suitable treatment for varying concerns, particularly with respect to anti-aging benefits. When used in the morning, the treatment can help improve the look of puffy eyes or tired features, delivering a well-rested and improved aesthetic. We often fail to realize how signs of aging around the eye can occur quickly, even at young ages, and how this quickly expedites the overall aging aesthetic of the entire face. Subsequently, it’s important to address concerns at the time we see them, to prevent future signs of aging and long term damage. This formulation is also free of caffeine and other short term fixes often found in eye care products, which ultimately create negative rebound effects and only offer quick fixes.
A more long term approach creates sustainable and lasting results with no rebound effect even with product discontinuation. As a side note, it’s important to use all topical eye products by using a “tapping” motion with the fingers rather than smearing the product on. Often when the product is smeared on, even under the eye, it creates irritation, making the product user (falsely) believe the problem is allergy or product ingredient reaction. The product should be applied gently using a tapping motion with clean fingers, working from the inner to outer corners, and not applied to closely to the eye itself.
Ingredients and Benefits
The formulation of the product is rich in peptides and other ingredients that form a harmonious blend and work in tandem to address and prevent all signs of aging, as well as dark circles, while remaining gentle and safe enough for application underneath and around the delicate under-eye area. Here is a look at some of the key ingredients in the formula as well as some of their main topical benefits when used for the eye area:
Swiss Apple Stem Cell Extract
- Derived from Swiss apples, this ingredient helps to rejuvenate the overall appearance underneath and around the eye area
- Anti-aging, brightens, hydrates and promotes firmness above and under the eye
- Works in tandem with other ingredients to help seal and lock in moisture, hydration subsequently helps in preventing future damage
Eyeseryl and Argireline
- Brightens under eye area to address and treat the appearance of dark circles
- Hydrates, to create a dewy and softened glow to the area
- Helps to lock in moisture to the skin and prevent the effects of any future damage
- Helps to reduce the signs of puffiness under and around the eye area, preventing future puffiness as well
- Acts as a barrier for the skin to protect and lock in moisture
- Helps brighten the skin, improving the appearance of dark circles
- Balances oil production, making it suitable for different skin types
- Helps treat topical conditions (i.e. acne, eczema)
- Powerful anti-aging benefits, including diminishing the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles around the eye area
- Restoring radiance, glow, and promoting a brighter and more even skin tone around the under eye area, with a dewy finish
- Helps fight and prevent any bacteria on the skin, suitable for acne-prone skin types
Positives and Negatives
In testing out this product, the positive benefits and features to use certainly exceeded any negatives, which in this case was only in terms of the price. The other negatives I’ve included have been reported by other reviewers, and are important to bear in mind as well as everyone will have different results based on unique concerns and individual preferences and chemistry.
- As compared with other products on the market that produced no visible results, this gel treatment actually worked: visible improvements are seen with respect to dark circles, puffiness, fine lines, and tired-looking eyes
- Safe and gentle around the delicate under eye area
- Not formulated using any harsh chemical ingredients, toxins, mineral oils, parabens, or sulfates
- Suitable for gentle twice daily use
- Suitable for all skin types, including sensitive skin
- Product feels lightweight and does not feel greasy, sticky, tacky, or leave any residue or buildup
- Eye area is fully hydrated and feels softer, yet firmer, even around the above eye area
- Feels soft and pleasant on the skin without any irritation
- Helps prevent future signs of damage and puffiness as well
- Price point- while price is moderate to high, value is still good because of product efficacy, however it isn’t found cheap or discounted
- Some customers did not notice visible differences, perhaps the most common problem with eye gel treatments in general- however with daily continued use the majority of reviewers and clients will definitely see results
- While uncommon, product irritation is a risk with any skincare product, so while this isn’t a specific con to the product in question itself, any eye care related product should be used as per product directives, with all instructions followed closely
Biossance has a strong return and exchange policy that honors full refunds upon dissatisfaction or allergy, and this policy favors the new and returning consumers. If you are dissatisfied with the use of the product, or if it does not work for your skin to provide suitable anti-aging benefits, or you experience any product allergy or reaction to the formulation, you may elect to return it at any time.
In this case, you will receive a full refund equal to the entire purchase price of the item. This policy is always helpful with a tough item to purchase like an eye gel, which of course runs the risk of not working. I was quite thankful to not have to elect to use this policy, because in the past eye gels have produced mixed results, and it’s always frustrating if you can’t return a product that doesn’t seem suitable at all.
The Final Verdict
I can finally say I’ve come to appreciate an eye product that has successfully lived up to its claims. With suitable twice daily use, results are visible within weeks, and while it can seem tedious to add an addition step to a regimen, I have not found many multi-use serums that are both gentle enough to be used on the eye area as well, and prove any actual efficacy or benefits to application. So in this case I can say the product holds true value, and offers a solution to treat a multitude of common concerns as well as prevent future damage.
Visible results are often tough to deliver in this category, especially using high-quality ingredients devoid of any toxins, but this product is definitely effective. If you’re seeking a solution that’s gentle and treats signs of aging around the eyes, looking to prevent future damage, and seeking restored hydration and a decrease in puffiness, this product makes an excellent choice. It can be added to any skincare regimen, or applied before bed to save on time.
There are also no issues with morning use in terms of any negative effect on makeup application.