With several years of experience in the cosmetics and beauty industry, I can vividly remember women coming in daily (evening lining up physically during certain promotional periods) for Estee Lauder’s Advanced Night Repair Review, a counter a friend of mine managed- with a lot of grace and patience.
It was by far the brands most popular SKU, with several sold daily. I also remember not seeing it returned very frequently, despite the return- heavy nature of the account location in question.
I asked colleagues and friends, those who managed the account, if they personally used it, and got varying responses. I will say, even with all different skin types and sensitivities, I did not hear a single report of reaction or breakout from using it. Some responses were positive, others lackluster.
So I decided to give the trial size vial a go- with a solid couple of weeks worth of product, deciding if it seemed worth it I would spring for the full sized bottle.
Although I was using other products at the time in conjunction with it, I did take caution to elect to use it as a standalone product for several nights to give it a more fair and objective shot. In fact, due to mixed results during the first trial, I ended up giving this product two different trial periods. While I didn’t necessarily dislike the product in any way, and it was certainly safe and suitable for sensitive skin (perhaps most importantly), I also wasn’t awed by it. As a cult favorite and hit amongst the masses, I wanted to love the product. But I found myself struggling to understand the broad appeal. So, to give other reviewers a chance to speak praises to a product they love, and in the interest of fairness, I decided to still go ahead with a review.
While you can bear in mind this wasn’t a personal favorite, others may still love the product and want to try it. Here’s a look at some main benefits to use, and an overview of both positive and negative features to such use.
Product Overview and Benefits
Estee Lauder’s cult-favorite Advanced Night Repair Serum is a powerful formula designed as an overnight treatment, designed to promote a more radiant and youthful aesthetic while treating the signs of aging like fine lines, wrinkles, and discoloration. It bears the additional benefit of providing hydration to the skin and restoring radiance for dull skin.
The majority of those who try the product out seem to really love it, and notice visible results.
The most commonly reported benefits are hydration, balance, improvements in signs of aging, restored radiance, improvements in sallow/dull skin quality, improvements in evenness and reductions in hyper-pigmentation. Some notice an improvement in treating sun spots or discoloration. It leaves the skin feeling soft, refreshed, and radiant, with a dewy finish. Although it is marketed for overnight use, it can be applied during the day prior to using makeup for a dewy finish, and I found less foundation was required by trying out the product this way. Suffice to say, with all of the benefits to use, there are still some mixed reviews, which is the nature of skincare. We all have varying preferences and individual chemistry, which makes the same product often makes for a very different experience from customer to customer. With this serum, results are real but do take time.
This isn’t offering, and doesn’t claim to offer instant or overnight results. Over time, the most visible results are seen. Over a shorter time frame, customers can at least expect to see improvements to dry skin and improved radiance with respect to tone and overall quality. It is the number one treatment repair product in the U.S., with the most amount of serums sold per year as compared to any other product or brand.
Positives and Negatives
The serum has some solid positive features and benefits to use and is quite popular, however I reported on some downsides as well. Here is a brief summation of some of the main benefits and negative aspects of the product and it’s application.
- Suitable for all skin types (oily, dry, acne-prone, sensitive)
- Provides hydration to the skin, visible difference in even very dry skin types
- Free of any parabens or sulfates
- Is the bestselling and number one repair serum in the entire U.S.
- In clinical trials, 99% of women showed a significant improvement in moisture and radiance, and lines and wrinkles look significantly reduced
- In trials, 75% of women felt their skin looked more youthful in just 4 weeks, and skin felt smoother and stronger and appeared younger and more even toned
- Very safe for those with topical skin conditions or prone to breakouts
- Based on the majority of reviews, most rate the product very highly with 5/5 stars
- Many customers report reduction in acne breakouts and scarring, younger appearing skin, balance to the skin, and a reduction in pore size
- In time, the majority of users and reviewers do see visible results and noticeable benefits to the skin
- Skin definitely feels refreshed, smooth, and supple
- If it came at lower price point, I would consider trying it out again, but personally for the cost- I have tried other products that seem to offer better benefits and superior performance with daily use
- It felt hydrating, but at the same time when using it for dry skin as a standalone product, I still craved a heavier moisturizer or oil
- The only visible difference I really noticed was improved hydration, and subtle brightening to the skin, but perhaps if I had used this product for months or a longer time period I would have experienced additional benefits (suffice to say results in terms of anti-aging may take time)
- Marketed as a night remedy and formula, but suitable for use during the day or night, no ingredient actually precludes use during the day (this is applicable to most products marketed as “nighttime” exclusives- unless the formula contains retinoid products, it’s typically fine for daytime as well)
Estee Lauder has a strong return and exchange policy that honors full refunds upon dissatisfaction and strongly favors the consumer. If you are dissatisfied with the use of the product, or if it does not work for your skin to provide suitable benefits, or you experience any product allergy or reaction to the formulation, you may elect to return the item. In this case, you will receive a full refund equal to the entire purchase price of the item. You may also wish to exchange the product for an equal and full refund. If you do have any reservations about product benefits to use or the price point, you can bear in mind the policy prior to your purchasing choice. While I considered returning the product, I ended up keeping it for hydration benefits and experienced no allergies or adverse skin reactions.
The Final Verdict
My personal expectations may have been a bit too high prior to trying this product, just in noting its incredible popularity and having read so much about it prior to use. While I think there are pros and cons to every product, I would probably not personally invest in the product again (but would if it was a bit more affordable). With that said, there was certainly nothing to glaringly dislike, no allergy, and it was very suitable for sensitive skin. I noticed improvements with radiance, an improved glow, and restored hydration, akin to a good nights rest. I enjoyed the texture of the product and it left skin feeling soft and supple. It certainly feels refreshing after application. In terms of other benefits, with respect to visible changes in the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles, while I noticed a preventative effect, I didn’t see a visible difference with daily use. Perhaps if the trial period had been 6 weeks or longer results would be been improved, as the company recommends sticking with the product for a solid time period prior to a final judgment. In reading other reviews, it does seem the majority of clients experience visible results and anti-aging benefits with continual daily use over time.
So if these benefits appeal to you, I would certainly recommend trying the product out, which bears the added benefit of a generous money-back guarantee upon dissatisfaction even after trial. If you’re seeking instant results, you may be better off with a different treatment or product with a retinoid or lactic acid component.