As a relative novice and perhaps skeptic in the making setting spray category, after reading enough positive reviews and feedback regarding Milk Makeup’s trending cult-classic Blur Spray, even as someone not seeking a fully matte- look (with a keener interest in blurring in the appearance and minimizing all pore size while maximizing all all day hold with no leaks or spills throughout the day)- I gained some further interest and decided to look up some product background.
In fact, for a setting spray product this seems to be highly suitable and enjoyed by those of varying skin types, and offers a few multi-use benefits.
I decided to give the product a fair chance. I will attempt to review it from both the perspective of those seeking oil-control and shine protection (with a true matte finish), as well as those interested in dabbling with new makeup setting sprays, or those new to them for the first time.
From the vegan and cruelty-free manufacturer (with all products for formulated free of any parabens, talc, soy and sulfates), “Blur Spray is the last step you didn’t know you needed. It blurs the appearance of pores and fine lines with powder-filled, blurring microspheres, providing a matte aesthetic finish, and seals in makeup so it doesn’t budge. It’s also formulated with super-hydrating jasmine oil to soothe while it sets. Spritz the colorless formula on to seal in your makeup—the matte way—or on bare skin for a flawless finish.”
Allowing you to safety yet effectively, using a formulation filled with only high-quality ingredients, this is a weightless product designed to seal in makeup last for longer use while blurring the appearance of large pores.
While designed as a mattifying treatment/setting spray ideal for those with oily or combination complexions (especially seeking smudge-proof formulations though the day), perhaps ingeniously the product was also designed as a treatment for those with normal and dry skin as well (if applied prior to makeup application) for restore hydration and radiance.
Despite your unique skin type, the product should help in providing a flawless finishing following makeup application.
This review will cover some main product features, some positives and negatives to bear in mind prior to purchase, a few key ingredients contained in the formulation their corresponding benefits with ongoing daily topical use, and a final verdict- to help you make a more informed purchasing prior to any point of sale.
Review: Milk Makeup Blur Spray
Milk Makeup’s Blur Spray is a 2.3 oz lightweight product designed to minimize the appearance of pores, set a makeup look throughout the day (with corresponding oil/slip/spill control-especially for those with oily or combination complexions).
For those with dryer types, the product can also be used as a setting spray and primer, it’s simply applied prior to the beginning of makeup application.
Formulated as a gluten-free and vegan product free of any parabens, sulfates, additives, preservatives, and harsh chemical additives, the multi-use product is completely weightless and devoid of any color, making it the perfect product for those seeking a long-wear makeup hold without any oil overproduction, shine, or smudge throughout the day.
As mentioned, those with dry skin may reap further benefits by using the product prior to application and/or with a moisturizing product to obtain the same long-wear benefits free of any dryness that may result.
Irrespective of skin type, the finish is always smooth and flawless with the use of this product. It’s a good setting spray with a dewy and glowy finish, and can certainly be used on those with varying skin concerns and types.
If you’re comparison shopping for skincare products or beauty items that can be used for different skin concerns, make sure to also check out our review on Thayers Witch Hazel Toner.
With that said, in comparison to a lot of other Milk Makeup products, it’s important to note that many have had some issues in using this product for several reasons, and it all transparency, it does seem to be extremely hit or miss from a consumer standpoint.
While I felt it provided a nice glowy and dewy finishing aesthetic and “blur,” using it both prior to and following makeup use, others found some various objections with the product.
Milk Makeup Blur Spray Ingredients
Especially for those of us who are sensitive, paying attention to the ingredients we use topically can be just as important as those we read on food labels and prior to purchasing groceries. Here is a look at some key benefits in the formulation, which, as a mainly cosmetics item, certainly offers some skincare benefits as well with daily corresponding topical use:
- Soothes any damages to the skin, helps repair any inflammation caused by acne, blemishes, sun damage, or skin dryness that have accumulated over time
- Anti-aging benefits:, when applied topically, the oil penetrates deep layers of the skin and stimulates collagen and elastin production, essential for the maintenance of youthful-looking skin
- Helps decrease signs of fine lines and wrinkles while smoothing out the face, creating a softer and fuller aesthetic
- Anti-acne benefits: helps decrease acne and future acne breakouts due to antibacterial properties and ricinoleic acid (which fight acne-causing bacteria)
- For those who are dry, helps to moisturize the skin and delete any lost hydration
- Helps fade small scars, blemishes and burns, fatty acids in the oil support the growth of healthy new tissue surrounding “concern areas”
- Can help prevent stretch marks from forming (often used during pregnancy)
- Reduces any signs of hyper-pigmentation, evening out skin tone and helping reduce any uneven tones or spots, working in tandem with the other product formulation ingredients
- Anti-acne benefits: helps prevent acne and bacteria that causes blemishes, decreasing breakouts, blackheads and whiteheads, particularly in the t-zone area
- Anti-inflammatory properties help in treating any topical redness or irritation
- Soothing and nourishing to the skin, cooling and cleansing
- Helps in providing a hydrating cleanse that still leaves skin smooth and soft
- Helps in treating infection and decreasing bacteria on the skin
- Attracts moisture to the skin, which is very absorbing and leaves the skin smooth and soft
- Leaves skin free of any dirt or oil, without drying out or stripping the skin of natural oil
- Helps in depleting any lost hydration and soothes very dry skin
- Anti-aging benefits: with continual daily use over time, fights signs of aging such as fine lines, wrinkles, sun spots, and with longterm use signs of hyperpigmentation
- Helps in providing moisture to the skin that is very absorbing and provides a long moisture hold
- Suitable for both very dry skin, combination skin, sensitive skin, and acne-prone skin
How To Use:
From the manufacturer, Milk Makeup, directives of use are different for those with dry/normal skin types and those with oily or complexion types:
Suggested Usage (Manufacturer):
-Shake well before use to activate microspheres.
-Spritz the colorless formula from six to eight inches away from your face to seal in your makeup—the matte way—or on bare skin for a flawless finish.
-For the optimal blur effect, start by priming skin with Blur Stick Matte Primer (sold separately).
In other words, those seeking more setting, oil- control and a matte finish will want to apply product to the face following full makeup application. Those desiring a more hydrated and radiant finish with a flawless aesthetic and the same long-wear benefits may prefer to apply the product first, as you would a primer.
Milk Makeup Blur Spray Positives & Negatives
With most Milk Makeup products, the majority of use seems to outweigh the lost and prove incredible efficacy and benefits with ongoing topical use.
With that said, here are a look at some key pros and cons to bear in mind prior to purchase:
- Works perfectly in conjunction with other products from the line, including the Blur Stick and Blur Liquid Matte Foundation
- For those with oily or combination skin, helps control the overproduction of oil and balance the skin, helps to create a long hold-throughout the day without any shine or smudge
- For those with dry or normal skin: helps create a more radiant and flawless finishing aesthetic when used prior to makeup application
- Vegan and cruelty-free company that avoids using any animal product during its manufacturing processes, formulations, and does not test on animals (even supplementing beeswax for cannibal oil)
- Environmentally-conscious company that strives to maintain methods in sustainability
- Last and sets product all day without requiring the need for any reapplication during the day or smudging
- Particularly when used prior to makeup application, skin is left feeling very hydrated, dewy, and refreshed
- Definitely provides a perfecting finishing aesthetic and “blurs” makeup perfectly, free of smudge or lack of hold throughout the day
- Although not every user had this experience, using the product I definitely noticed a decrease in the appearance of pore size
- For those who enjoy a full face of makeup (including any highlighter or glitter
- Definitely made makeup look fresh all day long, despite previous skepticism (there is a huge difference in using and to in using the product
- Product is free of all talc-powder, gluten, preservatives, sulfates, and harsh chemical additives (for those who are sensitive or mindful about using topical products with clean formulations)
- The spray nozzle could use some improvement in terms of manufacturing as it doesn’t always disperse and distribute product evenly, which can be frustrating
- Compared to the product cost and effects, and compared to other products in the market, it does not necessarily seem like a very fairly priced item- and even as a novice I believe even with technically “multi-use” benefits, you could potentially find this type of product for much less money elsewhere
- Some customers reported the product made their skin feel or appear patchy, oily, or uneven in texture (and this product seems to get more negative feedback in comparison to a lot of Milk Makeup products)
- Many reviewers did not notice a decrease in any pore size while using the product and felt the cost was not justified by compassion
- Since it is a translucent powder and a setting spray in one, it does not set with a powder, which can create a lot of caking or layering
- Scent is rather minty, which may be a positive or a negative for you depending on personal preference
- Can certainly keep T-zone area matte while helping other areas to pop (i.e. highlighter)
- Product was not irritation on the skin, did not create any redness, reactivity, or breakouts even with sensitive and acne-prone skin
Especially considering the some of us may be novices in the category, the return policy in this case may be a highly important factor for you.
The manufacturer, Milk Makeup, has a strong return and exchange policy that honors full refunds upon dissatisfaction or allergy, and this policy favors the consumer, both new and returning. If you are dissatisfied with the use of the setting spray, or if it does not work for your skin to provide suitable hydrating/matte finish or general skincare benefits, or you experience any product allergy or reaction to the formulation, you may elect to return it at any time.
In this case, you will receive a full refund equal to the entire purchase price of the item.
Milk Makeup Blur Spray: Worth It?
If you are searching for the perfect starter piece to a clean, vegan and cruelty-free line, that offers efficacy and benefits with continual daily use, this is definitely a product I would recommend free of reservations.
Additionally, it makes a lovely gifting option for those on your list who enjoy clean cosmetics lines or may have difficulty purchasing in the category. Still, it’s important to take into consideration some users were not as pleased with the purchase, dependent on skin type and personal preference.
Those with dryer skin types will likely prefer using the product prior to makeup application, and if you’re seeking a matte finish and all day makeup hold, it’s advisable to use following makeup application.
Personally, even for novices to setting sprays like me will likely really enjoy benefits to use- and this is the best item of its category I’ve tried.
5/5 stars and highly recommended!