As someone with an aversion to very strong scents, discovering Clean Eau de Parfum Spray a few years ago was rather miraculous, even given a natural proclivity to opt for fresh lotions, shower gel products, and even fragrance free products.
Given I was a novice to the category and perhaps the opposite of a fragrance connoisseur, only due to resulting headaches or a sense of certain fragrances being a bit overwhelming, I noticed someone wearing a perfume one day that smelled like a fresh shower-only better, if that can be described.
At that point, I discovered Clean’s fragrance line (also available in warm cotton, linen, fresh laundry, clean rain, cashmere, and rose), which is perhaps the most perfect product, taste and individual preference dependent, for those new to fragrance collections or who generally find heavier scents to cause headaches, be overpowering, or smell of either too much musk or chemical.
With that in mind, I find these fragrances lovely on others, it simply has just never worked as a personal preference, with more of an affinity for lighter and fresher notes.
This perfume represents a scent for those who want a lovely pick-me-up and out of the shower smell, without actually smelling of perfume or too much odor. Akin to those seeking very natural makeup products with a natural aesthetic but without the “full faced” or more dramatic look.
After testing out the product in store and letting it soak in for a while, I noticed it was likely the best product and offered the most natural scent I have tried to date in the entire category and in comparison to any other product on the market. Ideal for those seeking a lovely just-showered scent that is easy on the nose and offers lasting power throughout the day that lingers on the skin and clothes.
After receiving various compliments and realizing it was possible to wear a perfume without any after-effects given certain sensitivities, I quickly spread the word to friends and colleagues who shared the same preferences and similarly loved the product.
This review will cover some main features about Clean’s Eau de Parfum Spray (original scent), some positives and negatives to bear in mind prior to purchase, as well as a final verdict, to help you make a more informed purchasing choice prior to any point of sale.
*Please note that due to many different formulations under the same brand umbrella, this review is only in reference to the original Clean Eau de Parfum Spray*
Clean Eau de Parfum Review & Features
Clean’s original Eau de Parfum Spray is a fresh scent with notes of citrus and floral and undertones of Pink Grapefruit, Geranium, White Musk. Quite simply put, the smell is incredibly fresh and clean.
Inspired by fresh linens and a fresh out of the shower scent designed to linger throughout the day, this product is ideal for fans of crisp and subtle scents, who may be put off by very strong fragrances or heavy scents.
The scent begins with a burst of fresh yet light crisp citrus and dies down into a perfectly subtle fragrance that leaves you with the feeling of having just stepped out of the shower all day.
Although the scent is light, it does linger throughout the day and proves the test of time by remaining on the skin and body for hours without any chemical odor changes or loss of scent.
Even if you are a fragrance novice or if stronger scents create headaches or seem off-putting, Clean has developed the perfect line that is suitable for a wide array of consumers of all ages, and has developed a go-to fragrance for day or night use that is simply fresh, lovely, and (for lack of a better fitting term) clean.
If you’re comparison shopping for other products that are similar and fresh in scent, we recommend checking out our reviews for Thayers Witch Hazel Rose Petal Toner, Pureology Shampoo and Conditioner, and Kai Body Butter while you’re here!
Clean Eau de Parfum Positives & Negatives
While this makes a lovely and perfect fit for fans of fresh and natural smelling odors that are not overpowering, if you are a “fragrance junkie” who enjoys heavier products and muskier-type products, this is likely not your best personal option. With that said, if you enjoy crisp, fresh odors that are akin to fresh linens or a fresh from the shower type scent, I would highly recommend this product as a go-to for both day and night wear.
With that in mind, here are some main pros and cons to bear in mind prior to purchase:
- If you are sensitive to stronger perfumes or parfum type products, this is an ideal go to scent, that is never overpowering and always smells gentle, light, fresh, and clean
- The scent is akin to stepping right out of the shower, and will not cause any headaches or harsh after-scents
- Cruelty-free company: the company does not test any of its products on animals, does not use animal product in any of its ingredients, and does not use any animal product during manufacturing processes
- The scent is akin to fresh shampoo, shower gel, and fresh soap, and suits a wide demographic of all ages (and is suitable for men and women alike even despite the marketing of it as a solidly feminine odor)
- The product is akin to fresh flowers and citrus, and devoid of any parabens, sulfates, or harsh chemical additives (but does contain alcohol, as with any perfume product)
- The product is completely vegan and none of the formulations contain any additives, including beeswax, and it is also gluten-free, for those with sensitivities
- The key notes contained in the product are Pink Grapefruit, Geranium, White Musk- which blend together perfectly to create a fresh soapy scent with subtle floral undertones
- Unlike many EDT’s or lighter formulations on the market, this product actually proves staying power and lingers on clothes and the skin throughout the day for hours (as a note: if you can apply it to clothing, it will generally last even longer)
- For fragrance novices and even for those who generally do not like perfume products or odors, this is generally still so light and crisp it appeals to the vast majority of users
- There is no sense of potentially offending others senses at work or such with wearing this, as those with varying senses of smell are generally never put off by the odor
- Perfect for layering over a fresh body lotion or using right out of the shower to enhance benefits further
- Makes an excellent neutral gift option that doesn’t break the bank
- Can even be lightly sprayed on to linens and laundry prior to a wash cycle to enhance the fragrance, and is akin to the smell of fresh laundry (without smelling like cleaning products or detergent)
- In comparison to any other fragrance product I have tried, I have never received as many compliments, and the sentiment is typically one of “you smell so good,” rather than “what are you wearing?”
- Due to varying body chemistry and individual composition, it is important to note that fragrances can smell very different on everyone and mix very differently on the skin, so the way one fragrance smells on a single person may be very different than the way the product smells on your own skin (testing or trial versions are often advisable- on the body rather than on paper strips)
- Cost: while in comparison to the fragrance category in general, this price point considering longevity is actually on the very modest end, for many the $40 range for 2oz of product is still a splurge, though it is important to mind it lingers throughout the day without requiring frequent reapplication, and will last for several months
- This is not a specific product con but rather a point to take into consideration with any fragrance: we often go nose-blind to fragrances we are wearing throughout the day, so it is important to try and avoid reapplication or overuse even though you may not smell the product anymore (as others will still smell it)
- Some users claim the fragrance dies down to quickly- however, much of this can be attributed to the self becoming nose-blind to fragrance after use (I recommend asking those around you after a few hours if they can still smell it, and the answer will typically be affirmative)
- If you are a true fragrance junkie and enjoy woodsy or musky scents or parfum products with heavier odors, this is likely not a scent that you would enjoy on yourself- however the line does carry heavier products and different formulations to experiment with
The manufacturer, Clean, has a strong return and exchange policy that honors full refunds upon dissatisfaction or allergy, and this policy favors the consumer, both new and returning. If you are dissatisfied with the use of the product or scent, or if it does not work for your skin to provide suitable benefits, or you experience any product allergy or reaction to the formulation, you may elect to return it at any time.
In this case, you will receive a full refund equal to the entire purchase price of the item. If the item was received as a gift (without receipt), the policy applies for an even exchange, and this policy is applicable to online purchase, as individual store policy may vary depending on location and distributer.
The Final Verdict
If you are a fan of light crisp scents or looking for a fragrance that smells like you have just stepped out of the shower all day, I would highly recommend looking no further than Clean’s original Eau de Parfum. You may even wish to layer it under a fresh lotion or shower gels to enhance benefits further.
For those who are generally not fans of heavy fragrances or strong scents of musk, this company has developed a suitable line of fragrance products that can be used by those of any age (and women and men), with soft notes of fruit and citrus that combine to form a scent that is equal parts fresh soap and soft linens out of the wash. With that said, it is not at all comparable to detergent or cleaning product.
The company is also vegan and gluten free, and utilizes only the finest ingredients in their product formulations to avoid adding any parabens, sulfates, or harsh chemical additives.
If you are seeking a new fragrance that is subtle, fresh, and natural, I would highly recommend Clean’s Eau de Parfum. If you are not a fan of the original formulation, the company also has several other formulations under the same brand umbrella that you also may enjoy, dependent on individual tastes and preferences.
Soft, crisp, and highly recommended!