Review: Milk Makeup Hydrating Oil Stick (#1 Vegan Multi-Use Product?)
Fans of Milk Makeup generally appreciate the lines collection of cosmetics and beauty products that are equally parts functional, multi-use, and efficacious. The popular Hydration Oil Stick fits the bill for all of these, and as per usual offers a formulation that is both gluten-free and vegan, free of any parabens, sulfates, or harsh chemical additives.
While using the solid Hydrating Oil Stick, which is portable and compact, I noticed my dry skin was instantly hydrated, and it was great to use both interchangeably and in conjunction with the popular Sunshine Oil (although it works quite well as a standalone product as well).
It feels quite refreshing and adds vibrance to dull skin and incredible multi-use benefits, functioning well as a highlighter stick with or without makeup as well. Ultimately, the oil stick is equally parts functional and effective, with respect to everyday topical use and skincare benefits.
This review will cover some main product features to bear in mind prior to purchase, a look at some ingredients and corresponding benefits with daily topical application, some positives and negatives to bear in mind prior to purchase, a return and exchange policy if there are any complaints or service issues, and a final verdict, to help you make a more informed purchasing decision prior to any point of sale.
Review: Milk Makeup Hydrating Oil Stick
Milk Makeup’s Hydrating 1 oz Oil Stick is a compact solid face and body oil with multi-use benefits designed to treat signs of dryness, dullness, and suitable for all skin types, even those who are sensitive (barring any allergy to an ingredient in the formulation).
Designed to simplify the skincare routine, the Hydrating Oil Stick is infused with all natural oils (free of any parabens, sulfates or additives), and is also gluten-free and fully vegan. It can be used with or without makeup as a highlighter stick, as a daily facial oil stick for hydration, used for nourishment or glow for the skin, as a cuticle oil, or on rough patches on the body.
It’s travel-friendly, glides on to the skin easily and smoothly, and absorbs quickly, without feeling greasy or sticky on the skin. It can also be used in conjunction or interchangeable with other cult-favorites from the brand, such as the popular Sunshine Oil.
The hydrating oil stick is formulated to be extremely gentle on the skin, and balances those with combination or oily complexions as well. The oil stick only contains very clean and natural ingredients, and is safe and suitable for daily use. It has solid product longevity, adding value to a product that already claims suitable multi-use benefits and a lot of portability and travel functionality.
Milk Makeup Hydrating Oil Stick Ingredients
Especially for those of us with sensitive skin, reading ingredients in product formulations (and understanding corresponding benefits with topical use) can be extremely important, or even sway the entire purchasing choice. It can even be as important as understanding ingredients found in food options and labels (for more on this read our review on Sun Basket!). With that in mind, here is a look at the key ingredients contained in the hydrating oil stick formulation, as well as some corresponding benefits with daily topical use:
- Helps moisturize the skin and provides hydration for those with dehydrated or dry skin
- Rich in antioxidants for hydration and nourishment, and to support overall skin health
- Provides deep moisture directly to skin and binds hydration to the skin, very absorbing
- Provides a suitable barrier for the skin to protect against free radical damage, environmental damage, and sun damage
- Leaves skin soft, smooth and restored
- Counterintuitively, helps reduce excess oil production and promotes balance of oils to the skin, reducing breakouts and promoting even tone
- For dull or sallow skin, helps restore glow and radiance
- Safe for sensitive skin and topical conditions, and may even act as an aid in the treatment of acne, eczema and sunburn after exposure
- Lighter than other oils, preventing a greasy or sticky feeling on the skin
- Anti-aging benefits: over time and with continual daily use, may help in the treatment of fine lines, wrinkles, sun spots, and signs of pigmentation
- Preventative anti-aging benefits
- Works in tandem with other ingredients in the formulation and contains vitamins and minerals to support overall skin quality, complexion and health
- For oily, dry or combination skin: helps to nourish, repair, and restore the skin
- Helps to calm and balance, and may help in calming red, itchy or irritated skin
- Supports hydration, great for treating dry skin or depleted hydration
- Heals and repairs damaged or chapped skin tissue
- Acts as a protective barrier: shields the skin from UVA radiation, may act as a natural sunscreen and help in preventative anti-aging and fighting the effects of sun damage
- Protects skin from future damage and dehydration
- Rich in Vitamin E and fatty acids, the epidermis easily absorbs these ingredients and reaps benefits
- Helps keep skin hydrated due to being rich in electrolytes, particularly potassium
- Anti-inflammatory effects help treat and prevent acne and acne-causing bacteria
- Minimizes redness, irritation on the skin and signs of inflammation
- Anti-aging benefits: aids in the synthesis of collagen production, helps treats signs of fine lines and wrinkles
- May help treating small wounds and scar tissue
- Over time with continual daily use, may help treat acne scarring, pigmentation and sun spots
- Following sun exposure, can help in treating burns
- Has the additional benefit of supporting nail and hair health, when used as a nail or hair oil (multi-use benefits)
- Product longevity: because such a small amount of product goes a long way, it lasts for quite some time, helping you truly manage your money (as the product is a moderate cost)
- Can detoxify skin and provide exfoliating benefits (removing dead skin cells)
- Hydrates skin, leaving it soft and supple
- For dull or sallow skin, leaves the skin with a more radiant aesthetic and helps to even and brighten the complexion
- Removes impurities, including blackheads, whiteheads, debris, and other dirt/oil on the skin
- Filled with Vitamins E and A, which can help to repair and moisturize the skin
- Anti-aging benefits: helps minimize the appearance of fine lines, wrinkles, loss of elasticity, sun spots, and pigmentation
- Can help cleanse and tone, acts as a gentle nighttime oil
- Can help minimize the appearance of pore size
- Sun protecting benefits: acts as a natural SPF found in nature (not recommended as a daily SPF factor)
- Anti-inflammatory properties: helps expedite wound healing over time, including redness and irritation, or any cuts or abrasions to the skin
- Anti-acne benefits: helps treat acne, blemishes, breakouts and the bacteria that causes breakouts
- Safe for sensitive skin: may help in treating topical conditions, particularly eczema or rosacea
- Anti-aging benefits: promotes skin firmness (as well as softness)
- Helps to hydrate and restores any depleted hydration for dry skin
- For dull or sallow skin, helps to brighten the skin, restoring radiance and glow, creating an overall dewy aesthetic
- Rich in antioxidants and minerals to support overall skin health
- Helps protect skin cells from free radical damage and creates a protective barrier on the skin to fight sun and environmental damage
- Works in tandem with other ingredients to provide anti-acne and anti-aging benefits with topical application
Orange/Lemon Peel Oils
- Anti-acne benefits: helps in treating signs of breakouts, and lemon peel may treat existing acne and aid in the prevention of future acne and acne-causing bacteria
- For sallow or dull skin, enhances radiance and the overall aesthetic: improves glow, radiance, clarity and hydration
- Acts to detoxify the skin by removing dead skin cells and stimulating new skin growth and improved turnover
- Anti-aging benefits: helps increase cellular turnover time and collagen production, leading to fewer signs of fine lines, wrinkles, sun spots and pigmentation
- May help in treating acne scarring
- Cleanses and lightens skin, helping achieve even tone and a brighter complexion
- For ingestion or supplements: studies suggest lemon peel in tea or food may even help fight cancerous skin conditions
- Detoxifies the skin: orange peel extract may help cure multiple skin problems such as blackheads, dead cells, acne, pores, and provide hydration for dry skin
- Orange peel extract provides anti-aging benefits, working in tandem with lemon extract and other ingredients in formulation
Milk Makeup Hydrating Oil Stick Positives & Negatives
While most of the features are extremely positive with this gluten-free and vegan hydrating oil stick, which is also extremely suitable for all skin types, the only downsides seemed to be the price point and the fact that a couple of ingredients in the formulation were irritating or caused breakouts to other reviewers who tried out the product. It’s important to spot-test prior to any new topical product use, so those with sensitive skin may find that helpful with this product.
If you’re comparison shopping and looking for other products that are good for sensitive skin, we also recommend reading our reviews on Thayers Witch Hazel Toner and Aveeno’s Daily Moisturizing Lotion.
With that in mind, here is a look at some key positives and negatives to bear in mind prior to purchase:
- Multi-use benefits: can be used on the brows or hairline for shine, face as an oil/hydrating product for the face and body, or as a highlighter for a dewy aesthetic following makeup application
- Product is gluten-free, for those who are sensitive to the ingredient
- Vegan and cruelty-free company: company does not test any products on animals, use any animal products in its formulations, or during any of its manufacturing processes (including beeswax)
- Extremely hydrating product for dry skin
- For those with dull or sallow skin, the product provides a more radiant aesthetic following application
- Suitable as a gifting option for those in your life who enjoy skincare or cosmetics products, particularly if they are gluten-free or vegan
- Great option (and brand in general) if you are searching for products free of harsh formulations and gluten, or those that contain no animal product/testing
- Product is formulated free of any parabens, sulfates, or irritating chemical additives
- Safe and suitable for all skin types, including those with sensitive skin, barring any topical allergy to a specific ingredient contained within the formulation
- TSA/travel friendly with no product spill or leakage
- Easily glides on to skin with no greasy or sticky feeling and mess-free (roll on stick structure)
- Can be used on the face or body for a subtle sheen
- Improves texture of skin, restoring evenness
- Eco-friendly company with environmentally sustainable practices and product manufacturing design
- Can function as a cuticle oil as well
- Quickly absorbing into the skin and very lightweight, but still provides hydration benefits
- Provides and restores balance, for those with combination or oily skin
- Can be blended with different makeup products (i.e. eyeshadows) for a dewier aesthetic and less dryness, that still provides long wear benefits
- Works well in conjunction with other products from the brand, such as the infamous Sunshine Oil (or used interchangeably with the Cooling Water)
- Perfect for a no-makeup highlight dewy look (with added hydration)
- Seems to work just as well, if not better, than competitor products on the market (i.e. Josie Maran)
- Subtle and pleasant scent, devoid of any chemical or harsh perfume odor
- Formulated with safe, natural, and clean ingredients to support overall skin health
- Portable and compact, easy to toss in any gym bag for a post workout glow or in your cosmetics bag or purse for a great go-to item
- Great item to use during flights or low altitude settings for hydration
- If you have a sensitivity to coconut or citrus oils, this product make be highly irritating to your skin or cause reactivity, redness, or breakouts (as some reviewers have pointed out)
- For the product category, it is not inexpensive, however I prefer to use it as a facial product for this reason (rather than body application), and it’s important to bear in mind a very small amount of product goes a very long way
- The product should be kept away from the eye area, as some of the ingredients in the formulation can be quite irritation (orange peel in particular) to this region on the face)
- If you already own the Sunshine Oil or Cooling Water, you may find this product is superfluous and acts as an unneeded addition to your current regimen
Especially considering some customers felt some of the ingredients in the formulation were a bit irritating to the skin with topical irritating, The return and exchange policy may be a large factor in your initial purchasing decision, in this case, so it is important to understand.
The manufacturer, Milk Makeup, has a strong return and exchange policy that honors full refunds upon dissatisfaction or allergy, and this policy favors the consumer, both new and returning.
If you are dissatisfied with the use of the product, or if it does not work for your skin to provide suitable hydrating or multi-use benefits, or you experience any product allergy or reaction to the formulation and ingredients, you may elect to return it at any time. In this case, you will receive a full refund equal to the entire purchase price of the item.
Milk Makeup Hydrating Oil Stick: Worth It?
For fans of compact oil products that hydrate and balance the skin and are filled with clean ingredients devoid of any harmful additives, this product is really a winner.
It’s not only gluten-free and vegan (for those with sensitivities), it’s also a cruelty-free and eco-friendly company with effective products and transparent practices. The product itself works to provide excellent hydration benefits and nourishes and soothes the skin, and is safe and suitable for use in those with varying skin types, even those who are sensitive.
Fans of the brand will enjoy that the product is extremely portable and compact, and also makes an excellent gifting option for this time of year. Those with sallow or dull skin can expect improved radiance, and those with uneven texture can expect to see benefits with respect to repaired evenness in complexion, and expect results with the use of safe and clean ingredients (free of harsh additives and parabens).
Perhaps one of the best factors of differentiation and overall features (in addition to portability and longevity) are the products multi-use benefits which add value. It can be used on the hairline, cuticle area, and as a highlighter stick with or without makeup. It can also be used on rough patches or dry skin on the body. Its main use is as an oil for the face and a subtle pick-me-up, but you can feel free to continue experimenting with all of the different functions, as the product offers quite a bit of variation.
If you’re seeking a lightweight and spill-free hydrating stick oil, or enjoy gluten-free and/or vegan cosmetics products, you will likely really love this product. Non-vegans and skincare fans alike also enjoy the same benefits with use, and it can be used in conjunction or interchangeable with the brands cult-favorites (i.e. the Sunshine Oil and Watermelon Stick).
Very recommended, as a gift, or a gift to self!
I am having a problem with deciding whether I should buy the oil stick or the sunshine oil. I have dry skin, I want a dewy look for my cheekbones. Which one of the products do you think will give me that look and will last throughout the day.