Malin and Goetz is a New York based company (with many products manufactured locally in Brooklyn), known for their collection of apothecary product, and skincare, haircare and body range product formulations suitable for sensitive skin. Their annual skincare collection of bestsellers may be a perfect holiday gift for the self or a recipient in your life struggling with sensitive skincare, or simply dullness or dryness.
The products were developed by two co-founders, one of whom struggled with several personal topical conditions. The mission behind the brand was one of simplicity- creating the best of every product (cleanser, moisturizer), and hence eliminating the need for overly complicated regimens with multiple steps and complex routines.
All of the products are formulated for every skin type, including the most sensitive skin types, even those with topical conditions (i.e. eczema, rosacea). For the holiday season, the brand has launched a skincare set featuring the most popular skincare SKUS- the Grapefruit Face Cleanser, The Vitamin E Face Moisturizer, and the Lip Moisturizer.
One of the benefits of using the line of hip products that seems to grow with its consumer and has expanded rapidly in the past several years is the gentle formulations and the multi-use benefits of all of the products, which decrease the need for the use of other products. For example, the cleanser acts as a toner as well, and the lip balm has a slight tint and a 24 hour hydration hold which never requires frequent application. All of the products are cruelty-free, designed with safety and skin health in mind, and formulated with only the highest quality ingredients, free of any parabens, sulfates, or harsh chemical additives.
This review will cover some background on the company and vision, key ingredients and benefits with daily topical use, more concise reviews on the included products, some key positives and negatives to bear in mind prior to purchase, and a final verdict, to bear in mind prior to a purchasing decision.
The Main Features
The Malin and Goetz skincare essentials set includes full sized items of cult-favorite skincare items, including the famed Grapefruit Face Cleanser, The Vitamin E Face Moisturizer, and the signature Lip Moisturizer. All of the products work in tandem to product the best skincare routine for those with sensitive, dry, or dull skin. The products are safe and effective for use, barring any allergy for use with those of any skin type, even those with topical conditions.
The set makes a great product as a gifting item for those new to the brand or a recipient with sensitive skin or an affinity for skincare products, as an introductory product for those new to the line looking to try out skincare products that are equally parts gentle and effective, and for those who are already fans of the brand and looking for some variety.
It offers great value in comparison to retail cost, so I would highly recommend the set, either as a holiday gifting option, or as a skincare option if you’re looking for soothing and nourishing products to try out.
Malin and Goetz is a New York based company with brick and mortar locations as well as locally based accounts within upscale department stores, and has a large online cult following.
For some background, product aficionado and former Prada employee Matthew Malin, who had a long history in the beauty and cosmetics world, paired with architect Andrew Goetz, to found a company designed with simple skincare solutions and sensitive skin in mind. Conceptually, the two identified a demand in the marker for a company free of complicated regimens and multiple steps for busy urbanites looking to avoid the hassle. Skin sensitivity, concerns, and conditions were also paramount. It was important to develop a product that could be used on any skin, barring allergy, and for men and women alike. Mr. Malin often speaks often to personal experiences with topical conditions such as rosacea and eczema, and has offered himself as a tester to every product’s safety for those with similar conditions. So with simple skincare solutions and that personal testimony in mind, they have created a solution for both busy professionals seeking simplicity and those with sensitivities seeking relief from product irritation.
Ultimately both of these are achieved alongside great results of product use, creating a solution for those on the go and those seeking relief from irritating skincare products.
The Included Products
All of the included products in the gift set are full size, here are some main features and benefits of use with the three included products:
The Grapefruit Face Cleanser
Malin and Goetz’s Grapefruit Face Cleanser is one of the brands most popular products and has attracted a cult-following very quickly.
The product is a multi-use cleanser and toner, formulated with amino acid based technology to provide a deep cleanse without stripping or drying the skin following use. It removes all makeup, including eye makeup and mascara, and is suitable for all skin types, including the most sensitive skin.
The cleanser makes a suitable option for those with dry skin who have difficulty finding cleansers to use every day or multiple times a day, but also works for oily or combination types as ingredients in the formulation help in restoring balance and controlling oil production.
It is formulated with natural grapefruit extract and amino acid technology, and leaves the skin feeling fresh, hydrated, and visibly brightened. I would highly recommend this if you’re seeking a daily cleanser that provides a deep cleanse that eliminates the need for a toner and does not dry out the skin, and helps in restoring balance. I also noticed skin looked clearer, more vibrant, and more radiant.
Additionally, serums and other topical products were more absorbing following use.
Vitamin E Face Moisturizer
Another Malin and Goetz cult-classic is the Vitamin E Face Moisturizer, a lightweight but very hydrating product that acts as a perfect go to daily lotion and is suitable for all skin types, even the most sensitive.
From the manufacturer, ” our moisturizer scientifically synthesizes anti-oxidants vitamins e and b5 and soothing chamomile with absorbent fatty acids. Effectively and gently hydrates and balances all skin types, unlike traditionally greasy pore-clogging oils, for an intensely nourishing treatment, soothing for the most sensitive of skin. Natural fragrance and color. Residue-free.”
The product never feels greasy, sticky, or tacky on the skin and is highly breathable. It is the most lightweight formulation I have tried in the category that actually still provides hydrating benefits and never leaves the skin feeling tight or in need of additional product. With that said, if you are seeking advanced anti-aging benefits, you may opt to use this product in conjunction with another topical serum or anti-aging oil product, particularly in the winter, or if you are extremely dry. For those who are oily, you can expect a decrease in the appearance of breakouts, as the formulation does have anti-acne benefits as well.
I would recommend this if you’re seeking a gentle daily go-to moisturizer for sensitive skin that lasts quite a long time, and only a dime sized amount of product is required for use.
The Malin and Goetz Lip Moisturizer is definitely one of the strongest products I have tried in a very competitive category. While on its own it is a bit pricey considering the category itself, within the set it makes an excellent addition. It feels nourishing and soothing and is not at all sticky, greasy, or tacky on the lips. It leaves behind no residue.
It is formulated with a string of fatty acid technology and devoid of any ingredients that create a rebound effect requiring further application, and offers a 24 hour moisture hold. It withstands eating and drinking, and treats chapped and dry lips immediately.
While I would not recommend this individually given the price point, I would certainly recommend it in the set and it is one of the strongest products in the category I’ve tried to date. The lip balm product category in general is a very challenging market in general, as even the best products (such as this one) can often have firm competition, just as many formulations are just as good at lower price points.
You May Also Enjoy:
If you like the products included in this set, you may also like using the following products from the company:
- M+G Replenishing Face Cream
- M+G Recovery Treatment Oil
- M+G Facial Oil Cleanser
- M+G Rice Bran Eye Moisturizer
- M+G Detox Face Mask
Ingredients and Benefits
Especially for those struggling with skin sensitivities, it is often just as important to read ingredient and formula labels in skincare ingredients as you would those in the foods you consume. Here is a look at some of the main ingredients contained in the the Grapefruit Face Cleanser and Vitamin E Face Moisturizer (this will not include the Lip Moisturizer product, which consists of a chain of fatty acid proteins and does not contain any beeswax product or product that creates a negative rebound in terms of moisture hold). The first three ingredients are in the moisturizer formulation, and the final 3 are in the cleanser formulation.
- Anti-aging benefits: Vitamin E can protect the skin by neutralizing the effects of free radicals, hence fighting the effects of the signs of agings such as fine lines, wrinkles, feathering, sun spots, and hyperpigmentation
- Creates a protective barrier on the skin to protect against environmental damage and sun damage
- Compliments any SPF you wear and helps prevent harmful UVA/UVB radiation
- Helps prevent itchy, red, and irritated skin, reduces any topical inflammation
- Helps keep skin hydrated, calmed, and nourished
- Helps in treating different topical conditions
- Helps in reducing the appearance of scarring, and expediting the appearance of any cuts or scars to the skin
- Helps in reducing preexisting damage from the sun, such as loss of firmness, elasticity, sun spots, and burns
- Helps provide moisture to the skin and restores radiance for dull or sallow skin
- May help in treating stretch marks over time, particularly if used right away or on newly formed scars
- Provitamin of B5, acts to restore and replenish overall skin health
- Used as an emollient and moisturizer because of an ability to penetrate the skin, thus this ingredient hydrates and moisturizes skin leaving it fresh and supple
- Restores radiance to dull or sallow skin
- Leaves the skin feeling fresh, dewy, soft, and clean
- Works in tandem with other ingredients in the formulation to delivery benefits including hydration, restored balance, smoothness, and even texture
- Excellent for healing skincare wounds
- Anti-inflammatory properties help in treating any irritation, redness, or damage to the skin
- Help in treating clogged pores via antiseptic properties
- Natural anti-acne benefits and disinfectant properties
- Antioxidant benefits help protect the skin from the effects of free radical damage
- Soothes, calms, nourishes, and hydrates dry skin
- Helps lighten and treat scarring, particularly acne scarring
- Helps in treating topical conditions, particularly eczema
- Treats infections and acts as an anti-acne solution by preventing acne causing bacteria
- Provides a deep cleanse to the skin without stripping or drying out the skin
- Helps in treating dull or sallow skin and restores radiance
- Restores depleted hydration in dry skin
- Leaves skin soft, smooth, and hydrated, creating a protective barrier on the skin
- Vitamin C and antioxidants found in grapefruit extract benefit the skin by protecting from environmental damage, such as sun damage and pollution
- Anti-aging benefits: helps decrease fine lines, wrinkles, sallow skin, and stimulates collagen production
- Grapefruit extract contains a high amount of antioxidants to promote skin health and hydrate the surface layer of the skin
- Softens and smoothens the overall aesthetic of the complexion, helping smoothen and retexturize the skin
- Over time with continual daily use, treats more advanced signs of aging like hyper-pigmentation and dark spots from sun damage that have accumulated over time
- Potassium found in grapefruit extract helps treat wrinkles and UV damage, as well as sun spots and hyper-pigmentation
- Promotes healthy PH balance to the skin, helping oily/combination, and dry skin types alike
- Helps in preventing acne-causing bacteria and preventing breakouts in acne-prone skin
- Promotes healthy skin aesthetic, improving overall radiance and glow
- Hydrates the skin, helps in maintaining smoothness and softness
- Stimulates production of collagen, helping anti-aging benefits like decreases in fine lines and wrinkles
- Protects skin from future UV damage and sun exposure
- Increases hydration and moisture, which binds into the skin
Positives and Negatives
While most of the benefits of use were definitely positive and the set in this case offers incredible value to retail, and it makes a wonderful gifting option, the only two main objections seen from other reviewers seem to be that the moisturizer lacks advanced anti-aging benefits and that the price point for the category is still a bit high. With that in mind, here are a look at some main pros and cons to bear in mind prior to purchase:
- Excellent gifting option for a recipient who enjoys skincare, especially ones with sensitive skin
- Suitable for all skin types, even those with highly sensitive skin or topical conditions
- All of the products provide hydrating benefits and brighten the skin, providing a more radiant complexion and restoring balance
- Products are all very soothing and gentle to use
- Products are free of fragrance, parabens, sulfates, and harsh chemical additives
- Cruelty-free company: company does not test on any animals or use any animal product during its manufacturing processes or in any formulations (with the exclusion of beeswax in candles)
- Products are sourced and made locally
- Excellent product as an introductory item for those new to the line, if you’re seeking to test out some of the bestselling products
- Excellent purchase for fans of the brands seeking skincare variety, or if you are only familiar with apothecary product
- The cleanser included provides a deep cleanse that does not dry out the face and actually restores moisture, and has multi-use benefits, thus eliminating the need for a toner
- The moisturizer provided can be used for both dry or oily skin, and has suitable ingredients to replenish dry or dull skin, and also contains ingredients that replenish oil balance for those seeking oil control or those with combination types
- Lip product included has a 24 hour moisture hold and does not require any reapplication, benefits will last throughout the day even after eating or drinking
- All products live up to claims of initial benefits of use and exceed claims of benefits, in terms of topical skincare use and overall improvements to the aesthetic with daily use
- Product longevity: the cleanser and moisturizer last 6+ months even with continual daily use, and minimal product is needed to treat the entire face, but a very generous amount of product is supplied, so the products offer great value in comparison to cost, and are also formulated with very high quality ingredients
- In comparison to retail value, the set offers an amazing value, with a nearly $40 savings to individual price point cost
- The moisturizer included can be used as an aftershave product for men
- The moisturizer included is certainly hydrating, but is not an extremely advanced anti-aging formulation, so if you are seeking to treat deep set lines or wrinkles, you may wish to use the product in conjunction with another formulation, such as a serum
- While the products all offer great benefits and excellent longevity, they are still a bit pricey for some considering the category
Malin and Goetz has a strong return and exchange policy that honors full refunds upon dissatisfaction or allergy, and this policy favors the consumer, both new and returning.
If you are dissatisfied with the use of the any of the included products in the set, or if they do not for your skin to provide suitable hydrating or anti-aging benefits, or you experience any product allergy or reaction to the formulation, you may elect to return it at any time. In this case, you will receive a full refund equal to the entire purchase price of the item.
If the item was received as a gift (without receipt), the policy applies for an even exchange, and this policy is applicable to online purchase, as individual store policy may vary depending on location and distributer.
If you feel the policy if not taken into consideration, you may contact customer service, and you can remain ensured you will receive a full refund.
I was happy to discover that all of the included products were gentle enough for very sensitive skin and did not cause any irritation, redness, skin reaction, or allergy. They also caused no breakouts even with acne-prone skin. You must bear in mind, however, that if you are not satisfied with one item, you must return the entire set for a full refund.
The Final Verdict
Ultimately, Malin and Goetz has an excellent offering and range of skincare products that is gentle and nourishing, and the products are actually quite effective, but do work for very sensitive skin (or any skin type, including more resilient types).
If you’re looking for soothing and nourishing products and a set that offers great value in comparison to retail, I would highly recommend this starter collection, and the included skincare items provide excellent visible results to the complexion and restore balance quite quickly. If you are feeling dry, dull, sensitive, or experiencing sallow skin, these products are an excellent place to start the process and begin to treat concerns. They are also extremely gentle on the skin, so those with varying topical conditions and sensitivities need not be concerned (barring specific allergens) that they will experience topical reaction and irritation.
If you are looking for a gifting option this year for a recipient who enjoys skincare, or clean skincare, or simply has sensitive skin, this makes the perfect option. This is also a great introductory option to the brand and a great savings if you have not yet tried it, and you will likely not be disappointed by both the quality of the products, ingredients found in the formulations, and the results visible on the skin.
Highly recommended, and extremely gentle!