Typically there are some product categories where I steer away from a splurge or luxury category option, and prior to trying LANCER’s multi-use offering (complete with anti-aging skincare benefits as well), the primer category would definitely fit the “never-splurge bill.”
But after trying out a small sample size with stunning results, I bit the bullet and opted for a full sized product, almost praying daily it would never run out, and squeezing out the last bits like they were gold. In terms of value, I do feel this is the best primer with the best skin benefits I have ever tried. Suitable for every skin type, including very sensitive skin, the formulation is a sheer universally flattering shade, which can be used with any skin tone or complexion, and it’s free of any parabens, sulfates, or irritating additives.
While it’s understandable if you opt against spending around $58 for a primer, I wanted to test out the product for its skincare benefits as well. The main question I had that would seem to justify the price and expense would be in relying on multi-use functions to eliminate the need for a different item, such as a serum or cream. If any other step is eliminated, it would seem to offer value. But if the item only functions as a primer, even with the most superior benefits, it’s likely one I wouldn’t be able to justify in terms of expense. Of course, this is all dependent on individual budget. Some may be able to afford this as a primer for regular use, and others may think even as a primer/anti-aging treatment product the price is still too steep.
This review will cover some main features, positives and negatives to bear in mind prior to purchase, as well as some of the active ingredients in the formulation and their corresponding skincare benefits with continual topical use.
The Main Features
LANCER’s primer and anti-aging treatment is 30ml, and formulated with porifin complex and acmella oleracea, designed to improve the look of skin texture and minimize the appearance of pores.
Its unique hydra-velvet formula helps skin look firmer, filling in lines and wrinkles to create a smooth canvas for makeup application while managing shine. The primer is a universal skin tint suitable for any complexion or skin type, and employs optical diffusers to subtly blur the look of any uneven tone, imperfections, and discolorations.
Anti-aging benefits with continual daily use include minimizing the appearance of any fine lines, wrinkles, and skin discoloration. Overall, using this prior to makeup application improves the finishing aesthetic dramatically. I was able to use less foundation, pores were invisible, and the finish was radiant. Skin looks dewy and this may be one of the best products to promote a “healthy glow” I’ve ever tried. It definitely takes the #1 spot for me as a go-to daily primer, and if it came at a lower cost I would never try a different primer again.
In terms of skincare benefits with use, I certainly noticed improved hydration, improved radiance, glow to the skin, and a youthful aesthetic. I’m not sure I can say I noticed any dramatic anti-aging benefits, but those with deeper set lines may experience benefits to use, depending on what the concern is specifically. I will say, in comparison to using foundation alone, the skin appears much younger following makeup application. It was difficult to pinpoint why, and difficult to attribute that to the ingredients in the formulation, as perhaps foundation used alone can create an aged appearance sometimes. Ultimately, I did not opt to eliminate any other skincare product during use, so while this product definitely does offer multi-use benefits and vastly exceeds other products in the category on the market, I would not call it a supplement for any other specific category.
With that said, only determined by individual budget, for me this would likely be a special occasion purchase, as it’s just a bit high to afford for use as only a primer, and exceeds the cost of my foundation. In terms of longevity, the 30ml size is a bit insulting compared to product cost, and users can expect about a month-6 weeks (maximum) with daily use. It seems a bit outrageous, no matter how high quality the product, to charge that much for a single ounce. But in this case I’ll also admit I often overused it, and was definitely playing with different amounts day to day to figure out the best primer/foundation ratio and how to extend both.
I would strongly recommend more conservative use, and using a higher concentration of foundation (unless your foundation is a higher cost item, in which case, you’re probably doing fairly well and may not be concerned about ratios).
Ingredients and Benefits
Here is a look at some of the key ingredients in the formulation as well as their main benefits with continual daily topical use:
- Helps minimize the appearance of pores
- Helps control oil, and restores oil balance
- Helps to promote a more matte finish after application
- Helps to hydrate and nourish the skin
- In addition to oil control, may help combat acne-causing bacteria and decrease breakouts
- Anti-aging benefits including reduction in the appearance of any fine lines and wrinkles
- Improvement in skin tone, texture, and hydration
- Preventative anti-aging: creates barrier on the skin to protect against environmental damage and prevent future signs of aging
Amino Acid Compound
- Hydrates and moisturizes the skin free of any oil
- Creates a barrier to protect the skin from future damage
- Helps to brighten the complexion and restore balance
- Soothes and nourishes, balancing oil
- Helps promote a more radiant aesthetic, and promotes a glowing complexion
Positives and Negatives
While the skincare benefits with continual daily use are phenomenal, and this is without a doubt the best primer I have ever tried or come across, I would reiterate that at $58, the price is the main downfall for this product, and the only reason I can’t make this product my everyday go-to.
I would absolutely still consider purchasing this as a gift for someone I know would enjoy it, or purchasing it for a special event or occasion. I will always make sure to pick one up before attending a wedding or holiday party. If your budget can accommodate the price, you can expect to be blown away by the quality of this primer. I certainly recommend trying it as a splurge at least once, and if you’re already a fan of the category or cosmetics, you’ll really be impressed with the flawless finish. With all of that in mind, here is a main look at some key pros and cons to consider prior to purchase:
- Safe and suitable for all skin types, including very sensitive skin: product never breaks me out, causes irritation, or causes any dryness/redness following use
- Delivers a glowing, radiant aesthetic and brightens up the entire appearance when used prior to makeup application, results are visibly improved in comparison to not using it
- This certainly tops the list of every primer and product in the category I’ve ever tried in terms of the luminous and radiant finish, as well as minimizing the appearance of pore size
- Pores are completely invisible following use, and customers with very large pores have reported the same
- Improves any dullness, sallowness, or uneven skin texture, improving tone, quality, and evening out the texture of the skin
- Multi-Use Benefits: Product is not just a primer, but is also a skincare item and contains high quality ingredients that help provide anti-aging benefits, including treating fine lines and wrinkles, firming the skin, hydrating the skin, and plumping the skin in areas that may be wrinkly
- Suitable for all ethnicities and complexions: a universally sheer flattering shade that works for any skin color and is not unique to any specific undertones
- Flattering matte finish free of any sparkle, shine, or glitter
- Oil-free and formulated free of any parabens, sulfates, or harsh additives
- Cruelty-free company: company does not test any products on animals or use any animal product in its manufacturing processes
- Helps to decrease the appearance of any dryness or dry patches that foundation may cling to, and less foundation is needed after application
- Definitely creates a younger looking appearance as compared with foundation on its own, which I haven’t found any other product in the category to do
- Did not cause any allergy, irritation, product reaction, or any breakouts (if anything breakouts seemed to decrease)
- Price: the only con I’ve found with this product is simply its quite expensive, and while I haven’t found any other single primer to compare in terms of benefits and performance, I definitely view this as an occasional purchase, while I would love to be able to always afford it, it’s certainly a nice special treat product and something I’d purchase as a gift, but I certainly wish it were easier to find sales or deals on cosmetics
- Size: especially considering the cost, 30ml is a bit insulting, and does not make for a product that can be used daily for several months
While I did not experience issues, concerns or skin reactions while using the Primer, and feel it is suitable for very sensitive skin, allergy is always possible and unique to everyones individual makeup.
In this case, the manufacturer, LANCER, has a strong return and exchange policy that honors full refunds upon dissatisfaction or allergy, and this policy favors the consumer, both new and returning. If you are dissatisfied with the use of the primer, or if it does not work for your skin to provide suitable anti-aging benefits, or you experience any product allergy or reaction to the formulation, you may elect to return it at any time. In this case, you will receive a full refund equal to the entire purchase price of the item. It is important to note that the ingredients in this formulation are very suitable for very sensitive skin, and reaction is quite uncommon. If the item was received as a gift (without receipt), the policy applies for an even exchange.
The Final Verdict
While it can’t be argued that this is very much a splurge purchase considering the category and size of the product, it is the best primer I’ve found to date and offers a flawless finish, improved radiance, and renders pores invisible.
I definitely haven’t found a different product that compares in terms of benefits to use, skincare benefits, and overall quality of ingredients. It’s suitable for every skin type, including sensitive skin, and works as a universal shade for every tone and complexion. I would definitely consider repurchasing this prior to an event or special occasion, or as a gifting option. I would recommend this product for continual daily use if you can afford to splurge in the category, as if you can and are seeking the best primer and incredible benefits, you’ll likely be very happy following use. If you’re not able to splurge, I would still definitely recommend trying out the product once if possible, or purchasing it prior to an event or occasion, as it really promotes a younger aesthetic, is formulated with excellent ingredients that nourish the skin, and it really seems superior to most products in the category available on the market.
Recommended, but budget dependent.