The La Mer Concentrate is perhaps the holy grail of all skincare, and based on the price point, I wish I could fail to admit it is perhaps my favorite beauty product of all time, one I have invested in a total of 3 times (and denoted the corresponding credit per purchase).
While most of us, myself included, would not dare look at this item as a staple product or normal purchase, with the holiday season fast approaching and gift lifts mounting, it seems like the only appropriate time to review a product such as this. I have previously reviewed the La Mer moisturizing cream, one that often creates quite a bit of controversy with many dissenting opinions, with some comparing it to Jergens, and others comparing it to cosmetic surgery in a jar. Unfortunately for my credit card, and perhaps a bit of my soul. I am solidly team La Mer. One day maybe financial prospects will shift and my thoughts on this outlook will only be positive.
La Mer’s Concentrate is one of the most expensive, yet effective, products in the cosmetics and luxury beauty category you can find on the market (opinion based). It has the power to reverse scar tissue (beyond acne scarring, visibly erase wrinkles and fine lines, and genuinely create a younger appearance.
This is a certainly not a preventative product, it is a highly potent retroactive anti-aging treatment, but perhaps the only one on the market not formulated with any harsh lactic acids, retinoids, or products that burn or irritate the skin. This product is simply magical, for lack of a better term.
This review will cover some main product features, ingredients and benefits, some main positives and negatives to bear in mind prior to purchase, as well as a final verdict, to help you make the most informed purchasing decision prior to point of sale. Of course, this review will also cover the money-back guarantee policy.
La Mer Concentrate Main Features
The Concentrate is a smooth elixer of potent ingredients designed to help heal everything from deep set wrinkles, to fine lines, to deeper signs of aging, burn wounds, scar tissues, and other advanced issues. It can also be used as a serum (less commonly, though possible), and is one of the only products I have discovered that can truly turn back the hands of time.
Using this product absolutely helps with treating wounds, scars, tissue damage, and wrinkles. I have personally tried it both ways. I had a childhood scar on my forehead (quite small but red and visible), that disappeared totally with months of twice daily application. As a serum, mostly applied to fine lines on the forehead, this was the single only cosmetics product I have ever noticed that actually completely erased and eliminated them. With most products, the sentiment is, “reduction of appearance.” With this product, the sentiment is “erased.” With this in mind, I would absolutely recommend this product for those seeking a a miracle type product sans cosmetic surgery. While it is a splurge, compared to value it is worth it. Perhaps one of the best product features is the lack of harsh ingredients such as lactic acids and retinoids that can irritate or damage the skin, the product truly works free of any harsh chemical additives that cause chemical rebounds. If this is a splurge you can afford, you can anticipate enjoying it for at least one year if used correctly.
From the manufacturer, “Miracle Broth is at the heart of La Mer and is infused into every treatment in the collection. This elixir is formulated with hand-harvested sea kelp and other nutrients and minerals unlocked via a natural fermentation process. Surging with vital energies, it supports the five facets of natural healing: moisture, regeneration, soothing, smoothing, and radiance—which help to bring skin back to its healthiest state.”
La Mer Concentrate Background:
La Mer was founded by scientist, Dr. Max Huber, who developed the concentrate with medical grade and legendary healing powers after experiencing his own burn wounds and searching for a suitable solution for others with skin conditions, including accidents, topical conditions, and surgical scars.
The concentrate treats everything from surgical scarring to burns, to topical conditions, to deep set wrinkles. Fine lines, feathering or signs of aging? No problem at all in comparison.
Their proprietary and often downplayed “miracle broth” of sea kelp, vitamins and minerals was discovered by the physician, who eventually created his own method of unlocking derivative activity, using complex fermentation processes. Perhaps the most incredible scientific proposal here is using light and sound to amplify ingredient activity during fermentation. As referenced in the La Mer Moisturizing Cream review, scientists and physicians certainly make good points when discussing frequency-based treatments, in the sense of string theory, it does make sense that our bodies (and perhaps skin, ingredients, etc.) respond to light and sound energy, particles of matter. Nonetheless, this product is potent, strong, effective, and nothing short of the closest you can get to a cosmetic treatment without going under the knife.
How To Use:
Most will use this is as a spot treatment for wrinkles, scars, cuts, or other serious skin concerns. In this case, you should apply and massage on to the affected area twice daily and follow with a moisturizer. Others may opt to use this as a serum, which is rare, but possible (and quite decadent). In this case, apply a thin layer to the face, especially around areas with deep set wrinkles and fine lines. It is essential to not overuse the product as it may cause breakout.
Positives and Negatives
The only personal downside to this product I see is the price point, but other than that, this is an absolutely amazing medical grade product that is capable of treating scars, wounds, deep set wrinkles, stretch marks, surgical scars, fine lines, and literally turning back the hands of time. The skin actually appears younger following use. I would highly recommend this product and see it as one of the most effective beauty formulations available today. With that in mind, here are some main positives and negatives to bear in mind prior to purchase:
- Treats dryness, redness, dullness, wrinkles, lines, and scarring (including serious scarring)
- Improves radiance dramatically in sallow or dull skin
- Improves skin texture and evenness in tone
- Anti-aging benefits: remarkable anti-aging benefits including erasing fine lines, wrinkles, sun spots, hyperpigmentation, deep set lines, and advanced signs of aging
- Treats scar tissue, including acne scarring and surgical grade scar tissue
- Soothes visible irritation and redness caused by cosmetic procedures such as chemical peels, microdermabrasion, and laser treatments
- Helps skin feels more resilient, soft, smooth, and resilient
- Helps tighten and firm the skin
- Brightens the complexion and creates visibly younger looking skin very quickly
- Melts into the skin and soothes any irritation or redness
- Pores seem invisible following use, with a perfect looking t-zone area
- Capable of treating surgical scars with dramatic results
- Skin and fine lines are visibly plumped, smoothed, and hydrated
- Suitable for all skin types, even very sensitive skin
- Did not cause any rash, redness, irritation, reaction, or breakout
- One of the few anti-aging products on the market that is extremely potent but not loaded with harmful chemical ingredients that are damaging to the skin or tissue
- Can be used as an eye treatment for fine lines, puffiness, dark circles, or lines
- Can repair cuts, wounds, or be used as a serum
- Can be used as a spot treatment for deep set lines in conjunction with a less expensive moisturizer
- Capable of treating and removing cysts and treating medical issues (i.e. facial shingles)
- Longevity: unless you are using this as a serum for the entire face, the product will last you about 1.5 years, and very minimal use is required
- Capable of removing stretch marks and other forms of scarring/pigment on the skin
- Cruelty-free company: company does not test on any animals and does not use any animal product in any of its formulations or during any manufacturing processes
- Lovely scent devoid of any harsh chemical odors or harsh perfumes
- Free of any parabens or sulfates
- Removes acne scarring
- Miracle in a bottle (not sponsored- though I wish it was for even a sample!)
- Some reviewers do not like the addition of silicone and claim they can feel it, personally I have never experienced this as an issue, but if it is for you you may elect to purchase a different item
- Product over-application may cause breakout, however this is not the intended use of the product, and while it can be used as a serum, it is more appropriate and practical for use as a specific wrinkle or scar spot treatment
- Price: at $370 (size dependent, 1.7oz will run over $400), this product is an absolute luxury splurge, however, if used correctly, it should last about 1l5 years, and the benefits of use are better and more effective than any other single beauty product I have ever tried on the market, it is truly incredible
Especially considering the price point, the return policy in this case may be a highly important factor for you.
The manufacturer, La Mer, has a strong return and exchange policy that honors full refunds upon dissatisfaction or allergy, and this policy favors the consumer, both new and returning. If you are dissatisfied with the use of the concentrate, or if it does not work for your skin to provide suitable hydrating or anti-aging benefits, or you experience any product allergy or reaction to the formulation, you may elect to return it at any time. In this case, you will receive a full refund equal to the entire purchase price of the item. If the item was received as a gift (without receipt), the policy applies for an even exchange, and this policy is applicable to online purchase, as individual store policy may vary depending on location and distributer.
If you feel the policy if not taken into consideration, you may contact customer service, and you can remain ensured you will receive a full refund.
I was happy to discover that the formulation was gentle enough to use even with very sensitive skin and did not cause any breakouts, but due to price barriers or sensitivity concerns this policy may help assuage fears, as individual allergies are highly variable. While I felt compared to the longevity and benefits this was a worthy splurge, this is a highly individual choice, and only one you as a consumer can decide on.
The Final Verdict
If you’re not afraid to splurge for an amazing product, particularly one that will last at least a year if used appropriately, or purchase this as a gift for the holiday season, I would highly recommend La Mer’s Concentrate product, which is a cosmetics item with medical grade properties. It has an incredible ability to treat deep set wrinkles, fine lines, scar tissue, burn wounds, surgical scarring, stretch marks, and almost any other concern imaginable.
The fact that this product itself is available at cosmetics and beauty supply stores is incredible, as it does seem like a product that a dermatologist would prescribe or recommend (and if this was covered under insurance we may have a mass health care issue).
Ultimately, if you can afford to take the plunge, this is a stellar product that outperforms many other leaders in the market, and you likely will not be disappointed. If you are in any way, you can always exercise a money-back guarantee. But with the holiday season approaching, now is the time to splurge on quality items. Extremely hype and 10/10!