Review: Kerastase Nutritive Shampoo and Conditioner (Worth It?)
The first time a friend recommended Kerastase Nutritive Shampoo and Conditioner to me after I bleached my own hair (mistakes we’d like to forget), her eyes lit up, and while I was skeptical that anything could help at that point and scared that anything extra might even harm it further, I was willing to try anything and pay for anything at that point.
Have you ever tried cutting your own hair, an at-home dye job, or simply an experiment gone wrong that needed an immediate fix right before you could see your stylist?
Or needed products to use for weeks even after whatever the best stylist could do to try to help you?
Most of us have been there, hopefully, the smartest of us haven’t, but in this case, I trusted her enough to try this out, and knew it was safe enough for even the most dry, sensitive, and roughest hair types.
While it doesn’t come cheap, compared to the benefits and a potential cure, is it worth it?
We reviewed first so you wouldn’t have to, and in case your hair is ever in need of deep nutrition.
Review: Kerastase Nutritive Shampoo and Conditioner
As someone who is extremely picky with shampoos and will go the extra mile and spend the extra penny if needed to ensure the product won’t damage my hair and dry it out (with very dry and long hair that can be prone to damage and has been color treated and hot tool treated for years), the first time I used Kerastase’s Nutritive Shampoo I was shocked.
Before we begin, make sure you’re ordering Kerastase from a legitimate retailer, NOT from a counterfeit seller. For your convenience, here is the Amazon link to an authentic Kerastase retailer.
It felt cleansing, gentle, refreshing, and simply wonderful to use.
This is even in comparison to “customized” shampoos you can buy on the internet for hefty prices tailored to all your individual needs and filling out online profiles (click here to check out the time I tried customized hair care!).
This was also following an experience with a poor at home dye job as mentioned, I now use the product regularly and normally with the same glowing results.
It leaves you feeling deeply cleansed without any stripping or dryness feelings, and feels like a wash that you’d get at a salon (that somehow you can simply never find on your own at home, or maybe it’s just me). The scent is subtle but refreshing, and the only real way to describe it is “perfectly clean,” but without any loss of color, frizz, tangles, or stripping afterwards.
Kerastase’s Nutritive Shampoo is truly one of the only shampoos I’ve tried that’s made my hair actually look shinier, healthier, and more vibrant after using it.
While it’s great for all hair types and packed with nutrients for a deep cleanse, especially for those with dry hair, this is a really great formula if you need a treatment and most shampoos leave your hair feeling like you need a deep conditioner or oil immediately.
Kerastase’s Nutritive Conditioner also did not disappoint, and the first thing I noticed was the lovely fresh scent (that wasn’t overpowering and did not smell of any chemicals).
Again, even with very dry and damaged (long) hair, only a small amount was needed to leave my hair feeling incredibly smooth and soft, and after using it, my hair looked shiny and silky.
This is one of the only conditioners I’ve tried that has not left me feeling the need to use an oil product afterward in damp hair or before styling, and combining the two products together was probably the closest experience to a “salon style” shampoo and conditioning treatment I’ve done at home- in terms of scent, texture, quality, and overall results.
When your hair is dry, or damaged, or your seeking that salon shampoo and conditioner you just can never find at home, this has to be my top pick.
Kerastase has somehow found the perfect formula that just works, it’s that simple.
If you’re comparison shopping and looking for other products that will make your hair soft and silky, be sure to check out our reviews on Pureology’s Shampoo and Conditioner, Oaui’s Hair Oil, and Biotin while you’re here!
Kerastase Nutritive Shampoo & Conditioner: How To Use:
For best use, apply as often as desired in the following way:
- Apply a quarter-sized amount to dry or damp hair and massage gently into the hair working from roots to ends
- Massage the scalp with the product gently
- Rinse product thoroughly (end with cool or cold wash if you can tolerate it)
- Apply a quarter size amount to cleansed, damp hair distributing evenly throughout mid-lengths and ends
- Leave on for a few minutes (about 5 or so, especially if you are very dry)
- Rinse the product thoroughly (end with cool or cold wash if you can tolerate it, which will help hold color vibrancy in hair roots and follicles)
Kerastase Nutritive Shampoo and Conditioner: Pros and Cons
While some with straighter hair or normally greasy/oily hair types may find this is not the best formula or shampoo and conditioner combination for them, those with normal-dry hair types or looking to repair damage, or simply looking to promote shine and vibrancy, will likely find that this makes the perfect shampoo and conditioner duo when you’re in need of a salon-fresh look. It is definitely nourishing, gentle, and hydrating with only a small amount of product needed.
With that in mind, here are some key pros and cons to bear in mind prior to purchase with Kerastase’s Nutritive Shampoo and Conditioner:
- Safe for all hair types (straight, wavy, curly, damaged, coiled, tightly coiled), and while it is not directly marketed for color-treated hair, the product is completely safe for use for color treated hair types and does not create and color loss, loss of vibrancy, shine, or hold
- Leaves the hair looking clean, soft, shiny, supple, and more vibrant and radiant
- Great for swimmers looking to restore shine and repair hair from damage
- Protects hair from future heat damage and repairs damage for those who use heat styling tools or treatments often
- Kerastase’s Shampoo is by far one of the best products I have tried in comparison to even pricier competitors, it’s one of the only shampoos that has left my dry hair shiny and vibrant after use and felt refreshing and cleansing
- Neither of the hair products feel greasy, sticky, or tacky in the hair or after use
- Both products help restore the hair of any potential nutrient deficiencies or lacking vitamins/proteins
- The conditioner leaves hair soft, shiny, and smooth, and very easy to detangle
- Shelf-life: both the shampoo and conditioner and generously sized and only a small amount of product is needed for use, meaning you should get many months of product use even if you wash your hair daily (which is not always suggested if you do have very dry hair)
- Both the shampoo and conditioner smell amazing and the scent lingers throughout the day without being overpowering
- Safe for sensitive scalps or irritated skin: the gentle formulation is not irritating and does not cause any redness, rash, or reaction to the scalp area (unless a specific allergy exists)
- While Kerastase Nutritive Shampoo and Conditioner are safe for all hair types, they are typically best for normal-dry hair types, or hair in need of nourishment and conditioning or repair
- Price point: at just under $20 per product, this is a splurge item for most of us, but a small amount of product works even for very dry and long hair, and both the shampoo and conditioner work better (in my experience) than products sold for much higher price points, and the sizing is also very generous
- While the bottles do not specify if any parabens are used in the product, this may be something you’d wish to research further if you are very concerned about this particular ingredient (however, these are safe products for damaged and color treated hair types)
Kerastase’s Money-Back Guarantee Policy
The manufacturer, Kerastase, has a strong return and exchange policy that honors full refunds upon dissatisfaction or allergy, and this policy favors the consumer, both new and returning.
If you are dissatisfied with the use of Kerastase’s Nutritive Shampoo and Conditioner, or if they do not work for your hair to provide suitable hydrating or repairing benefits, or you experience any product allergy or reaction to the formulations on the hair or scalp areas, you may elect to return it them any time.
In this case, you will receive a full refund equal to the entire purchase price of the item, if purchased via Amazon. We cannot always guarantee the authenticity of products sold by merchants outside of or other than of Amazon.
Kerastase Nutritive Shampoo and Conditioner: Worth It?
While Kerastase’s Nutritive Shampoo and Conditioner doesn’t come at your standard drugstore brand pricing, a small amount goes a very long way, and both products are packed with nutrients to recharge and revitalize even the most dry and damaged hair.
Why do they standout amongst all their competitors?
This is truly the only brand I’ve tried that left me feeling like I had just had a salon-quality wash from home, in terms of the look, scent, and feel after using both products. Which is hard to explain, but says a lot considering I experimented with these products even after a botched at-home dye job.
When you’re looking for added shine and vibrance and a product where a little goes a long way even if you have very long, thick, or curly hair, Keratase Nutritive is a great investment that actually works.
The shampoo adds shine and texture while giving you a great deep cleanse and creating a strong lather with a small amount of product, and the conditioner hydrates and restores hair that’s in need of a fix.
Even if you have a more normal hair type and just want added shine and luster, the shampoo and conditioner are just an added boost that keep your hair looking even more brilliant.
We’d say Kerastase’s Nutritive Shampoo and Conditioner are both worth it winners, and felt like they were worth every penny in damage control.