While a green colored wash with kale, vitamins, and spinach may sound over the top, Youth To The People’s Superfoods cleanser with a distinct “hipster” formulation has been all the rage as of late, and we wanted to test it out to find out exactly why.
I don’t really know if or why I’d want to put kale, spinach, or green tea on my face, but fans of the product seem to claim it’s an extremely clarifying treatment… that’s literally super.
For the purposes of review, I’ll try most products at least once, and this one is no exception.
Supposedly, the formula, which also contains a proprietary blend of vitamins and antioxidants, does wonders to rejuvenate the skin and give you your most youthful glow, while helping its users with anti-acne benefits as well.
It’s best put on your face after you’ve already dampened your skin, lather on until it turns to a foam, gently pat dry, and follow with your favorite cream.
But does Youth To The People’s Superfoods Cleanser live up to its hype, or is it just more “millennial-style” kale marketing?
We reviewed first to find out more, so you wouldn’t have to.
Review: Superfoods Cleanser
Youth To The People’s Superfoods Cleanser was surprisingly refreshing, and not at all drying, as I’d anticipated due to some of the ingredients.
What I enjoyed about the product the most, both because of and despite of its price point, was its ability to really last. I found the bottle lasted me several months, and a small amount creates quite a nice foamy lather when applied to already damp skin.
It wasn’t at all irritating even with sensitive and acne-prone skin, in fact, I found it soothing and found that it treated signs of breakouts and redness. It also doesn’t have much of an odor at all, which I wasn’t expecting considering some of the ingredients make the product sound comparable to a health-kick salad.
Following use, my skin looked incredibly clear and rejuvenated, and the texture was more even. It was also noticeably softer and felt more hydrated. I followed (as per the instructions), by patting dry and using my favorite skin oil and moisturizer.
So how does it compare to every other cleanser on the market, or at least ones we’ve tested in the past?
It’s definitely a perfect gel based cleanser for all skin types that’s refreshing and gentle but still gives a very clarifying and deep cleanse. The best word to describe it would likely be “balancing,” as it seems to just restore your skin right back to life.
The completely natural and 100% vegan formulation doesn’t hurt either, as you know you’re not putting any chemicals on your face.
Superfoods Cleanser: Positives and Negatives
Youth To The People’s Superfoods Cleanser is a gentle wash that leaves your skin feeling soft and moisturized after each use, but also provides a very thorough and deep cleanse. It has some anti-acne benefits to combat blemishes for those who experience signs of breakouts, or are seeking to treat inflamed skin, and is also perfect for those with sensitivities.
While it is an ideal cleanser for most and quite natural in its formulation, the cost is probably one consideration to bear in mind prior to purchasing, as it doesn’t come cheap.
Here are some key positives and negatives to consider prior to purchase:
- Skin felt soft, nourished, hydrated, and looked more even in texture after use
- Skin looked more radiant after use and was left looking clear and with a soft glow
- Safe and suitable for all skin types, even the most sensitive skin (excluding any allergies to a specific ingredient in the formulation)
- Cruelty-free company: company does not test its products on any animals or use any animal product during any of its manufacturing processes or in any of its formulations, all of the company’s products are 100% vegan
- Clarifying: provides a deep cleanse without drying out the face or stripping the skin, or leaving any redness after use
- Gentle: even with highly sensitive skin, the product did not cause any irritation, discomfort, acne, dryness, or redness following use
- Anti-acne benefits: safe enough for those with acne-prone skin to use, and helps in treating breakouts and the bacteria that causes breakouts
- The product did not feel sticky or leave behind any residue or buildup following use
- A small amount of product really lasts, which is great considering the price point (mine lasted 4+ months with twice daily use)
- Free of any parabens, sulfates, or harsh chemical additives
- Cost: At $36 for one 8 ounce product, this is certainly not the most inexpensive cleanser available on the market in comparison to its competitors
Superfoods Cleanser: Ingredients and Benefits
For those of us with very sensitive skin, the ingredients in any cleanser or skincare product can be extremely important. Here is a look at the key ingredients contained in the Superfoods cleanser and their main benefits when used on the skin:
- Helps even out skin tone and texture, helps with anti-aging benefits (tightens and firms skin following cleansing)
- For dry and dull skin: helps to fully hydrate and restore moisture to the skin
- Brightens the skin, promotes a youthful glow, and radiance
- Soothing and nourishing to damaged, irritated, or burned skin
- Anti-acne benefits: helps to control acne and prevent the formation of new breakouts
- Creates a protective barrier against sun and environmental damage to protect against future damage and harm to the skin
- B2 contained in green tea extract helps maintains structure and firmness to the skin, anti-aging properties including minimizing the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles
- Improves hydration and moisture, helps bind moisture into the skin and restores any depleted hydration
- Compliments any uneven skin, lines and wrinkles, and dry skin
- Protects from free radical damage and neutralizes free radical damage and environmental stress
- Acts as an anti-inflammatory and expedites healing rates
- Helps heal sunburns and promotes skin repair, working in tandem with aloe ingredient
- Anti-aging, antioxidant-rich vitamin E helps boost collagen production and elasticity, diminishing the appearance of any wrinkles or lines
- Keeps skin calm and hydrated, if you are dull or dry
- Fights inflammation and can help with itch, redness, or rash
- Protects skin from sun damage naturally and heals from prior damage
- Brightens the skin naturally and reduces signs of uneven tone and discoloration, promoting an even and smooth overall tone
- Leaves the skin with a more glowing and radiant aesthetic following use
- Strengthens the skin and creates a barrier to protect against sun damage and damage from the environment even after use
- Rich in nutrients and vitamins that are deeply nourishing and condition the skin, leaving it hydrated and smooth
- Helps treat dullness and signs of fine lines and wrinkles
- Helps to restore balance to the skin, especially for those with combination or oily skin types
- Softens dry skin with essential fatty acids
- Soothes and cools skin, acting as a natural anti-inflammatory
- Helps heal and treat any redness or scar tissue
- Anti-acne benefits: helps heal and treat existing breakouts and helps to fight bacteria that cause acne to form on the skin’s surface
- Helps promote balance and restores the appearance of glow and radiance
Superfoods Cleanser: Money-Back Guarantee
If you have very sensitive skin (or price barriers are a concern given this item’s cost for you) or have not used Youth To The People’s products in the past, the return and exchange policy in this case may be a highly important factor for you.
The manufacturer has a strong return and exchange policy that honors full refunds upon dissatisfaction or allergy, and this policy favors the consumer, both new and returning.
If you are dissatisfied with the use of Superfoods Cleanser, or if it does not work for your skin to provide moisturizing, cleansing, or general benefits, or if you experience any product allergy or reaction to the formulation, you may elect to return it at any time.
In this case, you will receive a full refund equal to the entire purchase price of the item, if purchased via Amazon (it can’t be guaranteed to apply to individual stores or merchants).
In this case, the formulation of the Superfoods Cleanser was very gentle, and fine to use even with very sensitive skin and acne-prone skin and did not cause any irritation or breakouts, but spot testing is definitely recommended with any topical skincare product.
However, it’s important to note it is extremely gentle and designed for even the most sensitive skin types in mind.
Superfoods Cleanser: The Final Verdict
If you’re looking for a perfect gel based cleanser that’s rich in antioxidants and leaves your skin smooth, soft, and clear, Youth To The People’s Superfoods Cleanser is an excellent option amongst its many competitors.
While initially I thought this product was just a lot of marketing hype, it definitely lived up to all of its initial claims and exceeded my expectations.
Even if you have sensitive or acne-prone skin, the wash is incredibly gentle, yet still provides a deep and clarifying treatment prior to using any face oils or creams. It also leaves your skin feeling soft and looking dewy and more radiant and youthful even after your first few washes.
If you’re trying to make the shift to all vegan beauty products, this is also a must-have.
While this isn’t a 5/5 star product for us, it definitely comes close with little to complain about.