Seeking an organic multi-use product that you can put on your hair, skin, and nails, and also eat? Look no further than Viva Naturals Organic Extra Virgin Coconut Oil, which promises to deliver everything from weight loss benefits, glowing skin, hair restoration, and healthier cooking.
With over 14,000 reviews at just short of 5 full stars on Amazon and a $15 price sticker, this product may just be a miracle in a jar. So is the product hype or does it promise too much? I wanted to test out the product for myself and put it to the task across multiple points of use, denoting any benefits or drawbacks, stopping short of the suggested Ayurvedic oil-pulling technique for a brighter smile.
Overall, I can see why the product is held in such high-esteem.
It’s completely unrefined and harvested at peak freshness, then extracted into pure oil. The benefits are seemingly endless and the multi-use properties of the product make it quite versatile and great for couples or families. I was motivated to try it for several reasons. The first being an adoration for organic products with naturally-based ingredients, it feels healthier, I perceive it as being healthier at least. Secondly, I’ve certainly never owned an edible beauty product.
I suppose the other main reason this seemed like a good option is a personal affinity for a multi-use product. I can justify a moderate expense with different applications for use or the potential to share the product with someone else.
Viva Naturals Organic Extra Virgin Coconut Oil: Review
I was really blown away by the results after use, mostly for skincare and the treatment of dry patches of skin, but it was certainly beneficial as a hair mask, but it worked well for cooking also (did not notice weight loss, but perhaps the problem there was in succumbing to the ever-present temptation that pasta presents). I really enjoyed the coconut scent and it was pleasantly lighter than anticipated.
I was a bit trepidatious about the odor after reading some reviews with many negative comments about it, which I suppose always comes down to a personal preference. If a product smells bad, it’s a wash for me, as I won’t cook with it or put it on my skin. But if you do enjoy the smell of coconut, I would still advise a purchase.
In terms of the best benefits to use, the product is extremely hydrating for the skin and definitely helps in the treatment of frizzy hair or split ends. Most of these benefits can be attributed to the wonderful healing powers of coconut oil itself.
Viva Naturals Organic Extra Virgin Coconut Oil: Ingredients & Benefits
While I’ve read about the benefits of many skin and hair treatment products, particularly organic ingredients and essential oils, prior to trying this product out I wasn’t extremely familiar with coconut oil. I definitely had a familiarity with castor oil and Shea butter, which are often implicated as remedies for similar ailments, but upon consideration had never actually tried pure coconut oil as a topical treatment or for cooking.
The more I read, the more I grew curious about the multitude of possible product uses. Viva Naturals also sells a specific and proprietary cold-pressed oil extraction, making it the factor of differentiation in a market of thousands of products. It’s USDA certified as 100% organic, and can be used as a solid or liquid.
Here are some key benefits to use for the skin, hair and overall health:
Benefits For Skin
- Can make an effective cleansing oil to wash the face, even removing eye makeup
- Can be used as an alternative to highlighter- can be placed over makeup on the cheekbones to create the same dewy, highlighter effect as a makeup product
- Helps skin heal faster after any damage, dehydration or cuts/scrapes when applied topically
- Over time, it can help reduce the appearance of age spots and stretch marks
- Can be mixed with a sugar to make a scrub, or shea butter to create an intensive lotion treatment for very dry skin
- Can be used as a natural shave cream or used after shaving
- Gentle enough for a baby’s skin or to be used as part of a baby lotion product
- Helps with both sun tolerance upon exposure and treating existing sun damage
- Naturally anti-aging and powerful as a treatment for dry skin
Benefits For Hair
- Can be used as an overnight deep conditioning treatment or as a mask, fully restoring hydration to the scalp and hair
- Helps tame frizzy hair, creating a smoother and more polished aesthetic
- Adds shine and restores radiance, even in dull or damaged hair
- Suitable for all hair types, including color-treated
- Helps prevent and eliminate dandruff
- Stimulates hair growth and prevents loss when rubbed into the hair follicles on the surface of the scalp
- Can be used to make a homemade shampoo bar
Benefits For Health
- Weight loss– the coconut oil is packed with MCTs, which help the body burn off adipose (fatty) tissue by increasing metabolic speed. The caveat is one tablespoon, while carb-free and free of any trans fat, packs 130 calories, so it should be used in moderation akin to any other oil, as it’s inherently calorie-dense.
- Digestive support-coconut oil helps prevent the growth or overgrowth of yeast and candida, making it effective for digestion as well as the skin.
- Can be added to baked goods, smoothies, drinks, or used for cooking (i.e. rice, stir fry, scrambled eggs, baked goods free of grains)
- Can be used to soften the lips when cracked
- Can be used for oil-pulling (swishing around in the mouth for 10-20 minutes), which helps eliminate toxicity from the mouth
- MCTs in the oil may also be linked to increases in cognitive performance and memory
- Helps support hormone regulation and balance, including thyroid support
- Acts as a great source of healthy fats
- Helps increase absorption of magnesium and calcium
Viva Naturals Organic Extra Virgin Coconut Oil: Pros & Cons
Here is a brief overview on some of the key pros and cons to Viva Natural’s product. While most of the feedback is overwhelmingly positive, there are a couple of issues that some users may have that seem a bit more negative or may pose concern.
- Noticed a difference in both skin and hair, with glowing and hydrated skin as well as de-frizzed hair, with a difference in split ends
- Significant difference in dry skin, completely alleviates dry patches (i.e. elbows, knees, hands)
- For a proprietary and organic product with multiple points of use, the price is quite reasonable
- Certified USDA organic product with no trans-fat and non-hydrogenated
- Shelf life of 2 years
- Provides a multitude of benefits for skin, hair, nails, treating cuts/scrapes, and can even be used for cooking
- Provides a multitude of health benefits when used internally
- Can be used to treat skin conditions (rash, eczema)
- Gentle enough for babies, pets, and children to use
- Healing to the body inside and out
- Wonderful variety of applications, definitely a multi-use product and shareable household staple purchase
- If you have a sensitivity or allergy to coconuts, the product should not be ingested or applied to the skin, the latter may cause allergic reaction to the skin
- Some reviews express frustration with the space of air/air bubble in the product, however the company is simply using a jar that is too large- the product still comes with 16 ounces, as claimed
- Some reviewers do not like the smell, which comes down to personal preference
- Especially if overused, can have a “greasy” texture
Viva Naturals Organic Extra Virgin Coconut Oil: Money-Back Guarantee
If there is any skin reaction, irritation or general dissatisfaction with the purchase and use of the product, or the product is not fully organic or suitable to the skin, the manufacturer, Vita Natural, provides a full refund for the purchase price of the item, and may also offer suitable exchange free of any additional charge. Anyone new to using organic products or uncertain about the smell after reading reviews can take comfort in the ease of return and policy.
Viva Naturals Organic Extra Virgin Coconut Oil: The Final Verdict
Overall, I would definitely recommend this product with no reservations. I don’t believe I’ve previously reviewed or encountered a product with so many benefits to use and with such a valuable cost/efficacy ratio. Even if you don’t like using the product for one intended use, you have no less than 20 backup options for using it in a different way that you prefer.
You can cook with it and reap positive health benefits, use it for the hair to renew shine and radiance, and use it as a skincare treatment or even in lieu of certain makeup purchases. In a way, other purchases you can avoid make this an even wiser investment with a possibility of saving time and money on other various expenses.
I enjoyed the texture and scent, which is of course open to personal preference and subjective. After studying, experiencing and learning from others about the multitude of uses and benefits to health, I definitely understand the popularity of the product.
Rare is a multi-functional product that is fully organic, fully effective, and actually quite affordable. The only downside is getting hooked on the product and the need for continual replenishment. Other than that, this deserves a product award of some sort!
Make sure to check out our review on Sun Basket while you’re here to get some more great cooking inspiration, and check out our review on Renpho’s Bluetooth Body Fat Scale if you’re interested in health and wellness (and other multi-functional products!)