Every time I hear about nootropics I have 3 main initial reactions. The first is fear, or perhaps just a healthy degree of questioning and trepidation. The second is references to coders and professionals who work at all hours of the day and night, sometimes for 24 hours consecutively, and feel a need for a non-pharmaceutical grade approach to exceeding limitations of the human brain. A need to challenge the self and the brain to perform at a level it wasn’t necessarily intended to. And the final is a reference to Bradley Cooper in Limitless, where he’s able to clean his entire apartment, read a shelf of books, and develop theories on litigation with no prior experience to later use for dating prowess. There always seems to be the risk of side effects or consequences to supplements, particularly any involving the central nervous system. But there’s not any doubt that a huge market exists for nootropics and cognitive enhancing drugs, even those seeking simple concentration that coffee does not address are interested. Or the middle-aged man who loses his keys too often and forgets first names. And often we seek an approach that’s available to us over the counter, one we’re hopeful has less risks involved than a prescriptive stimulant. Admittedly, it’s a concept I still approach with a high degree of skepticism and doubt. But most users are singing praises to NEURO-PEAK for their popular brain support stimulant.
NEURO-PEAK’s OTC CNS “pseudo-stimulant” claims to help users achieve a more positive mood, mental clarity and focus, improved productivity, increased alertness, and better memory-recall. Their claim to differentiation in a crowded market of supplements is providing users with peak performance with consistent daily usage. So we wanted to review further and evaluate the benefits, negatives, safety concerns, and overall practical use of this product.
NEURO-PEAK’s offering is a cognitive enhancement supplement that claims to help consistent users achieve peak performance and productivity. Users agree that they have experienced better memory recall, increased productivity and increased energy after starting the supplement. The company uses ingredients with scientific support to improve overall processing ability and speed. They claim to do so gently and safely, although some users have experienced side-effects, as with any supplement product. The products efficacy in those who experience benefits can be attributed to its formulation of ingredients and herbs that support brain health. Listed below are some ingredients, applications, and a brief safety disclaimer.
Ingredients, Safety and Benefits
- Phosphatidylserine- this ingredient is a phospholipid present in the structure of cell membranes. Research conducted in the 1980’s studied the potential for phosphatidylserine to help support memory, learning and nerve cell health in certain areas of the brain
- Rhodiola Rosea Extract- this Russian herb has been used for optimal performance for years, popular applications with athletes for energizing properties and studied for its ability to provide support for healthy levels of serotonin and dopamine, improving focus and recall
- Ginko Biloba Extract- Ginko Biloba has been studied and praised for it’s ability to improve memory and recall, as well as support healthy brain function, for some time
- Dimethylaminoethanol-DMAE is thought to promote the production of the neurotransmitter, acetylcholine, improving mood, performance, speed and cognitive function
- Bacopa Monnieri- believed to provide support for the protein network in the brain where signals are transmitted from one neuron to another
It’s important for users and prospective customers to understand these claims and this product has not been evaluated by the FDA. With that said, one should bear in mind the following safety information:
A user should never exceed the recommended dose. This product should not be used in pregnant or nursing mothers, children under 18 and individuals with a known medical conditions. One should consult a physician before using any dietary supplement or nootropic product. If you have a known allergy to any ingredient in the product, it is not safe to use. While uncommon, users have reported the following side effects: drowsiness, fatigue, confusion, sleep disturbances, inability to concentrate, insomnia, depression, anxiety, mood swings, headache, nausea, stomach upset, skin irritation, and lightheadedness. It is always best to proceed with caution with any supplement, diet, or medication-based product. It is not recommended to take this supplement with blood thinners, NSAID painkillers, anti-platelet drugs, anticonvulsants, antidepressants, diabetes medicines, drugs that affect the liver and supplements like garlic, saw palmetto, St. Johns wort, etc.
Positives and Negatives
As with any product, brand, company, and certainly supplement- there are positives and negatives and there will always be strong conflicting and dissenting opinions. Here’s a brief look at what most users have to say, the good and the bad:
- Fans and users of the supplement say it helps them with recall, memory and concentration
- May decrease a need for caffeine, OTC off label use products and prescriptive products
- Peak cognitive performance and recall are achieved, or improved, with consistent daily use
- The ingredients used, while not evaluated by the FDA, do have scientific support that validates the suggested application for use (i.e. healthy brain function, improved recall)
- Users suggest they have experienced improvements in performance and energy at work
- Some reviews make comparisons to the movie Limitless, suggesting this miracle product has fully improved thinking ability and clarity
- Many satisfied users suggest the supplement improves cognitive function without feeling like a stimulant or unnatural
- Product has not passed any FDA approval guidelines
- Side effects have been reported, making this a product one should be cautious about using
- Many claim the supplement industry is largely influenced by current market trends and business rather than health goals (this is opinion-based of course)
- Some users did not experience any effects at all
Money Back Guarantee
If any side effects, reaction or dissatisfaction occur using this product, customers can expect a full refund of the purchase price. When making what one might consider a “riskier” option, this fallback can be comforting. You may also exchange the product for one of the same value or less.
The Final Verdict
While many seem to love this product and the supplement market at large, the honest feedback in this case is the claim to a “scientific formulation” is questionable, as the product is not FDA approved or founded by physicians. With that said, this is the most popular nootropic and memory recall supplement on the market at the moment, and the field is certainly buzzing- so many agree this is a useful and effective product that alleviates some of the stress of everyday life and improves concentration. While I’d personally prefer to stick with an extra cup of coffee, there are many fans of this product- and some claim to have stopped using pharmaceutical-grade treatments or prescriptions in favor of a more natural approach. Ultimately purchasing any type of supplement product is a very individual and personal choice, and to reiterate one to do with a healthy degree of trepidation. With that said the vast majority of fans and users of this specific formulation have raved about the product, with far more positive reviews than negative.