Review: Tatcha Silk Cream (#1 Gel Moisturizer?)
Out of all brands and products I have previously reviewed, Tatcha and their product line is one that seems to offer a consistent superior quality and consistency, and Silk Cream is no exception to this rule.
There are a plethora of reasons why I love the brand, primarily because the products themselves are equal parts naturally-based and effective, and because the company itself contributes to many charitable causes. Founder Victoria Tsai launched a mission to help girls in developing countries learn to read, in an initiative to alleviate poverty by increasing educational and employment opportunity. A portion of proceeds on every SKU is donated to this cause and other charitable efforts. The company is also cruelty-free and believes in environmentally friendly practices and sustainability.
I have tried Tatcha’s Water Cream, Violet-C Radiance Mask, gold infused lip product and many other cleansers prior, and enjoy the proprietary blends of formulations that cannot be found elsewhere or with any other brands. So if there is a product that I can somehow squeeze into my budget, even if it’s only for special events, I typically find a way to both do so and justify the purchase via several means. I would recommend all of these products free of any reservations as they are suitable for all skin types, even the most sensitive skin or acne-prone skin, barring any specific allergy to an ingredient in the particular formulation of a given product (for example, I recommend the Gentle Rice Enzyme Powder for those who are very sensitive).Before we begin, make sure you’re ordering Tatcha from a legitimate retailer, NOT from a counterfeit seller. For your convenience, here is the Amazon link to an authentic Tatcha retailer.
The products also make wonderful gifting options for recipients who enjoy cosmetics and skincare, due to the gentle nature of the formulations.
This review will cover some main product features, Silk Cream ingredients, and some positives and negatives to bear in mind prior to purchase. Hopefully, the final verdict will solidify your choice, and help you make a more informed decision based on individual skincare concerns and desires in a product, amongst other factors.
Review: Tatcha Silk Cream
Formulated for all skin types, including the most sensitive skin and acne-prone skin, Silk Cream is a rich but lightweight and weightless gel-cream moisturizer for softer and more radiant skin.
It’s ideal for treating dryness, loss of elasticity and fine lines, and dullness if you’re experiencing sallow skin. It also helps firm skin and increase collagen production. Liquid silk protein helps restore a healthy glow to the skin, and while it feels silky soft to apply the product never feels greasy or sticky. The formula is noncomedogenic, non-irritating, non-sensitizing, dermatologist tested, and cruelty-free. It is formulated without mineral oil, parabens, sulfates, synthetic fragrances, sulfate detergents, urea, DEA, or TEA. The Silk Cream is perfect for dry and sensitive skin, but suitable for all skin types, as it provides balance and hydration. It truly feels like silk to apply, and helps to decrease any redness, sallowness, or dullness.
The additional benefits include anti-acne benefits, decrease in the appearance of pore size, and it seems even more hydrating than the water cream. I would recommend this for all age groups seeking a great go-to daily cream that is extremely hydrating but also feels highly breathable on the skin.
Tatcha Silk Cream: Ingredients and Benefits
Here is a look at some key ingredients used in the formulation of Silk Cream as well as their corresponding benefits with daily continual topical application. Especially if you have sensitive skin, it is often helpful to understand the ingredients in your topical products in the same way you would read food labels:
Advanced Silk Extract
- Stimulates the production of collagen and elastin in the skin, anti-aging benefits
- Improves the appearance of fine lines, wrinkles, and sagging skin
- Promotes healthy barrier function and skin hydration, as amino acids are the primary components of your skin’s natural moisturizing factor
- Helps expedite wound healing and any skin irritation
- Feels soft and silky on the skin and helps replenish any depleted hydration
- Helps improve radiant aesthetic and improves soft glow on skin
- Relieves redness and irritation
- Tightens skin
- Improves the appearance of scars, including acne scarring
- Promotes blood circulation for the appearance of healthier looking skin
- Alleviates sun damage and helps prevent against future sun damage and environmental toxins
Akoya Pearl Extract
- Promotes healthy collagen production, resulting in plump healthy skin
- Pearl contains an antioxidant that boosts the efficacy of superoxide dismutase, one of the strongest antioxidant enzymes in the body
- Pearl extract contains signal proteins that stimulate the regeneration of collagen
- Pearl extract contains a concentrated source of the most bio-available form of calcium, wonderful for skin health
*Tatcha’s proprietary blend of Japanese anti-aging superfoods was created by founder Victoria Tsai in an attempt to establish a completely unique emulsion exclusive to any other brand or line. It is completely unique to the brand (Tatcha) and trademarked, so you will not find it any other cosmetics product or found in the product of a different company or manufacturer. It contains green tea, rice and algae, which work together in tandem to restore a a radiant glow, even complexion, and deliver a soft, dewy complexion that is fully brightened and even. The ingredient can help create firmer skin that is also soft and supple. The ingredients in the blend and their corresponding use with everyday topical use can be found below:
- Algae is nutrient and vitamin dense, which supports skin health and promotes a more radiant aesthetic, that’s fully rejuvenated and glowing, with more even texture
- Exfoliating benefits: algae helps in removing buildup and debris from the suffer level of the skin, and treating dead skin to prevent congestion, removing blackheads, whiteheads, and other blemishes
- Anti-acne benefits: helps prevent breakouts and the bacteria that causes it
- Detoxifies the skin and provides exfoliation while providing suitable hydration benefits and brightening the complexion
- Replenishes vitamins and minerals to the skin, good overall skin health and a glowing and more radiant aesthetic
- Anti-aging benefits: while algae is soft and hydrating, it also helps to minimize the appearance of sun damage, lines, fine lines, and wrinkles, with continual use over time
- With use over time for a long period, may help address signs of hyper-pigmentation or more advanced aging concerns
- Provides balance for oily complexions or combination complexions
- Contains flavonoid compounds and natural antioxidants that benefit skin health, and restore radiance
- Acts as a barrier and protects the skin from UVB rays (which cause burns) and prevent sun damage, or any other environmental damage, like pollution or smog
- Anti-acne benefits: helps reduce blemishes and fights signs of acne, as well as fighting acne causing bacteria which leads to new breakouts, for those prone to breakouts, which may assuage fears in those who seem to break out with the use of any product
- For those with dry skin, helps repair and restore skin and repairs any depleted hydration
- Helps to brighten the complexion, working in tandem with other ingredients in the formulation
- Protects against free radical damage in the environment, creating a protective barrier on the skin, working in tandem with other ingredients
- B2 contained in green tea extract helps maintains structure and firmness to the skin, anti-aging properties including minimizing the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles
- With continual long term use over time, may help minimize the appearance of any sun spots or signs of hyper-pigmentation
- Soothing and nourishing to damaged or burned skin
- Fights any preexisting DNA damage caused by sun damage (UVB rays-ones that cause burns and damage to the dermis)
- Hydrates any depleted moisture to help balance and soften skin
- Helps balance skins texture to restore balance and even out tone
- Antibacterial agent that treats and prevents acne and breakouts, prevents the formation of new acne blemishes and acne-causing bacteria
- Vitamin E is found in large quantities in green tea extract, which supports skin cell growth and expedites cellular turnover while hydrating the skin for anti-aging benefits, providing moisture benefits for all skin types, even very dry skin, and is safe for sensitive skin
Tatcha Silk Cream: Positives and Negatives
- Portions of all proceeds are donated to charitable causes, mainly teaching girls how to read to alleviate poverty by increasing employment opportunity
- Safe and suitable for all skin types, including very sensitive skin, and is safe for those with topical conditions (such as eczema, dermatitis, allergies, and more)
- Cruelty-free company: company does not test on animals or use any animal product to make any of its formulations or during any manufacturing process
- Company is based in simplicity and devoid of any overly complicated regimens, which is particularly good for sensitive skin
- Excellent for dry and sensitive skin types
- The product seems extremely similar and works just as well as La Mer, but for a fraction of the cost, and definitely belongs in the luxury category
- Water-based moisturizer that is hydrating but still quite lightweight, and never feels sticky or greasy
- There is never any product buildup or extra residue, and the cream is soothing and nourishing
- Works perfectly for combination skin as well, as oils are balanced
- The product feels quite rich and creamy but is still highly breathable
- Formulation is extremely clean and free of all parabens, sulfates, and harsh chemical dyes
- Minimizes the appearance of pores
- Brightens skin and improves overall complexion, delivering a more youthful aesthetic
- Comes with a spatula to help with product control, which helps minimize any product waste, and helps with cleanliness
- Price, as with most products from the brand, this does tend to be pricey, however, the products do last for quite some time and it’s important to bear in mind only a small amount of product is needed for application, and a portion of proceeds are donated to charitable causes, and the money-back guarantee policy may help assuage fears
The manufacturer, Tatcha, has a strong return and exchange policy that honors full refunds upon dissatisfaction or allergy, and this policy favors the consumer, both new and returning. If you are dissatisfied with the use of the cream, or if it does not work for your skin to provide suitable hydrating benefits, or you experience any product allergy or reaction to the formulation of silk cream, you may elect to return it at any time. In this case, you will receive a full refund equal to the entire purchase price of the item. If the item was received as a gift (without receipt), the policy applies for an even exchange, and this policy is applicable to online purchases, as individual store policy may vary depending on location and distributer. I was happy to discover that the formulation was gentle enough to use even with very sensitive skin and did not cause any breakouts, but due to price barriers or sensitivity concerns this policy may help assuage fears. However, it’s important to denote this product line is designed for sensitive skin and topical conditions.
Tatcha Silk Cream: Worth It?
Tatcha’s Silk Cream is a wonderful addition to their offering, as the cream has many multi-use benefits, making it seem much more valuable. It exfoliates, hydrates, brightens, balances, tones, and restores an even texture with regard to overall complexion. Additionally, users can expect portions of their proceeds to go to charitable causes and environmentally-conscious practices. The products are formulated free of any parabens, sulfates, or harsh chemical additives, and are quite gentle and effective for all skin types, including very sensitive skin.
This product makes the perfect indulgent gift to self, a gift for someone who enjoys skincare, and is ideal for those with dry and sensitive skin. Users will find it is rich and creamy in texture but also highly breathable on the skin, and never feels sticky or greasy. No residue is left behind.
While this is certainly a splurge item, users can expect to get a lot of longevity out of the product, as quite a small amount goes a very long way. It feels indulgent, and like a simple luxury. The addition of a spatula helps with product control and feels extremely clean as well.
Recommended, and definitely hype!
Has anyone ever asked Tatcha why consumers should be so enthralled by geisha beauty regimens? They were pancake white makeup. How do we know if their skin is nice?
I kind of like Tatcha, but the marketing gimmick is pants.