As a rookie with brow products, I was initially a bit trepidatious (and admittedly confused) as to how to use Milk Makeup’s KUSH Fiber Brow Gel effectively, but very curious about results, benefits to use and overall performance, given all of the positive reviews and feedback I had read online regarding the product. With prior stunning results using the “Meet The Fam” set, I was even more open to dabbling in a new category.
The tinted brow gel is a vegan and gluten-free formulation which comes in 3 shades designed with volumizing, heart-shaped fibers, and hydrating cannabis oil for long-lasting fullness, thickness, shape, and definition. It is designed to eliminate the need for brow pencils and other products.
Akin to a hair mask for the brows, the product is designed to both hydrate and shape the brows while offering a fuller aesthetic, and conditions without causing and stiffness or drying.
As with all Milk Makeup products, the product is cruelty-free, free of any parabens, sulfates, and preservatives, and designed to be suitable for all skin types, including the most sensitive skin. As a vegan cosmetics line, as with their popular KUSH mascara, the brand opts to supplement hydrating cannabis oil for beeswax to formulate a hydrating ingredient that is still suitable for those who prefer vegan products.
The finishing aesthetic is extremely natural, and even as a novice to the category, I was extremely pleased to discover the product created fuller (yet very naturally looking) and perfectly shaped brows, with a perfect color match, and eliminated the need for any brow pencils or other products in the category.
This review will cover some main product features, some key pros and cons to bear in mind prior to purchase, as well as a final verdict to bear in mind prior to any point of sale, to help you make a more informed purchasing choice.
The Main Features
Even as someone with limited prior experience in the brow category in general, this product was definitely a hit and I was not surprised to see why it seems to have developed such a cult-following.
It’s extremely soft, hydrating, and conditioning and also adds a natural finishing aesthetic to create additional volume and shape to the brows.
From the manufacturer, “do something dope for your brows. KUSH Fiber Brow Gel is for anyone looking to add some oomph to their brows. It’s packed with tinted, thickening, heart-shaped fibers that adhere to skin and hair for long-lasting fullness, shape, and definition. The hollow fibers are also filled with formula for another dose of volume. Cannabis oil fuses the heart-shaped fibers to brows for thickness without flaking. Like a hair mask for your brows, nourishing, cannabis oil also conditions, sets, and won’t cause stiffness. The tapered, tree-shaped brush with dense, firm bristles allows you to deposit gel evenly across your brows so each hair stays put.”
Milk Makeup started using Cannabis Oil in their mascara formulation as a conditioning ingredient as an alternative to beeswax and consumers enjoyed the results so much they dabbled with the same ingredient in the brow gel formulation, hence making it “dope” from both a product and formulation perspective.
I was extremely impressed with the way the product lasted with results and hold (long-wear) all day and felt extremely hydrating without creating any sticky feeling on the brows, as any other product I’ve tried in the category previously has tended to create a bit of a “stiff” feeling, or simply produce an unnatural or uneven aesthetic following application.
How To Use:
For those new to the brand or brow products, here is the suggested product usage from the manufacturer:
- Swipe brush across brows in short, upward strokes in the direction of hair growth to tint, thicken, and condition
- Use the tip to draw precise, hair-like strokes in sparse areas and the tapered end to follow your brow shape, focusing on where it narrows
- Add coats for fuller-looking brows
Why Cannabis Oil?
From a marketing perspective, we all have to admit Milk Makeup is fairly clever, and the “dope” mascara and brow products are no exception to this rule.
As a vegan company, the brand wanted to create a suitable alternative to using beeswax as an ingredient, a common binding agent found in many mascaras and brow products (as well as other cosmetics, especially soaps and lip balm products).
The cannabis oil fuses the tinted, volumizing and heart-shaped fibers to the brows and helps restore hydration and moisture. This also helps avoid any stiffness or flaking, and provides a moisturizing long hold throughout the day. The creamy whipped formulation and texture of the product also allows for smoother application, and provides additional conditioning benefits akin to a hair mask for the brows for those experiencing any dryness in the area. From the manufacturerer, “KUSH Fiber Brow Gel is the vegan way to get fuller-looking brows in one hit.”
Fans of the popular KUSH mascara, found in the popular Milk Makeup “Meet The Fam” Set (for those seeking introductory products to the line), may also enjoy this product, or using the products in conjunction with one another.
*As an aside, this is a legal ingredient not containing any type of illicit substance, derived from cannabis flower*
Positives and Negatives
Especially for fans of brow products, and those seeking natural aesthetics and enhancements (fuller looking brows without any stick or grease with an all-day hold and perfect shape), the positives seem to far outweigh the negatives in terms of product use and corresponding benefits. The product glides on smoothly and is easy to use even for those new to the category, it never feels stiff, and the finishing aesthetic is even and extremely natural in appearance and texture. The main downside seems to be in the limitation of 3 color options, as many with different brow colors say they have difficulties in finding suitable color matches and are hopeful the brand will create more color expansions in the future. With that in mind, here are some key pros and cons to bear in mind prior to purchase:
- Vegan and cruelty-free company: company does not test products on any animals, or use any animal products in any product formulations or during any manufacturing processes (including beeswax, which in this case is supplemented with the use of cannabis oil for hydration)
- Multi-use benefits: product is hydrating, enhances the brows, adds shape, and adds texture and volume
- The product never feels greasy, tacky or sticky following application or use and glides on to the brows quite easily
- Product is free of all gluten, preservatives, parabens, sulfates, and harsh chemical additives
- Conditions and hydrates the brows while setting them without causing any stiffness or dryness
- Comes in a variety of colors that work for different brow colors in a transfer-proof formula
- Conditioning benefits help maintain overall brow health
- Product longevity: even with everyday continual use, unlike a lot of other products on the market in the category, this one lasts for quite some time, and requires minimal and conservative application upon use
- The application brush is quite small and easy to use, and the product itself is quite compact and portable, making it very simple to travel with and carry in a purse or gym bag (although results will last all day, so reapplication is not required)
- Considering the benefits, ingredients, product quality, and longevity, at under $20, this product is not incredibly inexpensive, but it is still very affordable and valuable in comparison to all of the use you can get out of it
- You can typically eliminate the need for other products, such as pencils or wands, while using this product, increasing value further
- Some consumers complain that the product is not water resistant, so if that is a major concern for you, this may not be a perfect option
- While the majority of users found the color matches to be highly suitable, some users (especially those with very light brows or strawberry blonde colors) felt the color matches were not ideal, so with only 3 options, it would be nice if there were a more diverse or larger options in terms of color shades to pick from
Money Back Guarantee
If you happen to be a novice to the brow category as I was or have any general concerns, the return policy in this case may be a highly important factor for you.
The manufacturer, Milk Makeup, has a strong return and exchange policy that honors full refunds upon dissatisfaction or allergy, and this policy favors the consumer, both new and returning. If you are dissatisfied with the use of the product, or if it does not work for your brows to provide suitable benefits, or you experience any product allergy or reaction to the formulation, you may elect to return it at any time.
In this case, you will receive a full refund equal to the entire purchase price of the item. If the item was received as a gift (without receipt), the policy applies for an even exchange, and this policy is applicable to online purchase, as individual store policy may vary depending on location and distributer.
If you feel the policy if not taken into consideration, you may contact customer service, and you can remain ensured you will receive a full refund.
I was happy to discover that the formulation was gentle enough to use even with very sensitive skin and even as a novice to brow products it was quite easy to use, but due to price barriers or sensitivity concerns this policy may help assuage fears, as individual allergies are highly variable.
While I felt compared to the longevity and benefits this was a worthy splurge even considering the product category, this is a highly individual choice, and only one you as a consumer can decide on.
The Final Verdict
If you are seeking a brow product to enhance the aesthetic, create shape and volume, and one that offers a long wear without any greasiness, stickiness, or stiffness, I would highly recommend trying out Milk Makeup’s KUSH Fiber Brow Gel product.
Formulated with safe clean ingredients and free of any harsh additives, parabens, gluten, preservatives, and sulfates, fans of cruelty-free products and vegan cosmetics lines (and/or gluten free brands) may also enjoy trying out these products, which supplement ingredients in formulations for high quality hydrating ones that provide the same, if not superior, benefits with topical use.
Even if you are a novice (as was I) with brow products in general, this product is extremely easy to use and extremely natural in terms of finishing aesthetic, in addition to lasting throughout the entire day.
In terms of value and benefits to use in comparison to retail cost, users can expect to enjoy the product and corresponding benefits for several months and expect multi-use benefits, including additional hydration in conjunction with an enhanced cosmetic finishing aesthetic.
Even as someone relatively inexperienced in the category, I can say with a high degree of confidence that this product also eliminates the need for other wand and pencil type products, and can be used as a daily standalone treatment for the brows.
If you’re seeking a daily go to brow product that’s truly dope, I would highly recommend this product!