After recently trying and reviewing a wide variety of skincare products from trending K-beauty brand Dr. Jart, along with the collection of “Face Savers” sheet masks, and the wonderful “Superhero Transformers” set, with wonderful and visible results following use, I began following all of their social media accounts and looking at new products and promos to potentially recommend.
After seeing the Shake and Shot product for the first time, I was blown away, we’ve all likely truly never seen anything like these DIY shaking rubber mask products before.
Contained in bottle shapes with caps that represent smiling faces of babies (bear with me here), each product contains two packages that when combined for activation prior to use (and placed and shaken back into the bottle), form facial masks that brighten, hydrate, and restore the appearance of the skin.
After looking into some reviews, watching videos on how to apply the products, and looking into further information, I decided to take a risk in ordering the entire set, as the “Shake and Shot” to-go set contains 4 full sized mask products with a significant savings in comparison to individual retail and still runs under $40.
I can safely say for anyone interested in trying out the set or one of the Shake and Shot mask products that results after use are visible and the products are phenomenal, and I would definitely repurchase without the packaging, although it certainly doesn’t hurt the overall quality and they are fun to save and reuse.
Fans of face masks, K-beauty, and general skincare alike, this collection is definitely worth the hype and I would highly recommend trying out the collection or purchasing it as a gifting option for a recipient who enjoys skincare products in general, as they are formulated as suitable for all skin types (including the most sensitive skin).
This review will cover some main product features about the Shake and Shot To Go Set, briefer reviews on the included products, some main key ingredients in the product formulations and corresponding benefits with topical use, some pros and cons to bear in mind prior to purchase, and a final verdict, to help you make a a more informed purchasing choice prior to any point of sale.
Review: Dr. Jart+ Shake & Shot To Go
Dr. Jart’s Shake and Set To Go kit includes four single-use DIY rubber shaking masks (hydrating, firming, soothing, and brightening), featuring cream to sheet formulas to target concerns such as dryness, redness, and aging (including signs of fine lines and wrinkles, sun spots, and pigmentation issues).
All of the included products are suitable for all skin types, including sensitive skin, barring any specific allergies to ingredients contained in the formulations. I was able to use all of the included products (with sensitive and acne prone skin) free of any topical redness, reaction, irritation, or breakouts.
The masks are easy to use and each contain two packets that are mixed together, shaken in the container (until you no longer hear a shaking sound), and applied to the face within 2-3 minutes- it is important to use the mask immediately after shaking so the product does not degrade. It then forms into a smooth, creamy texture thats easy to apply to the entire face and lacks and greasy or sticky quality, and forms into a sheet-type rubber mask while on the skin (that is then gently peeled off after use).
Dr. Jart employs the same techniques in this approach found in many high-end luxury Korean spas, who use rubber masks and multi-step regimens to achieve fast visible results. The cream to sheet formula delivers more active ingredients to the skin than traditional rubber masks, penetrating the skin with active ingredients for anti-aging and brightening benefits.
From the manufacturer, “Shake & Shot Rubber Hydro Mask moisturizes and revitalizes the complexion. The Hydro Mask ampoule contains a cocktail of vitamin B5 (panthenol) and expert moist complex, rich in amino acids, to help strengthen skin’s moisture barrier. Shake & Shot Rubber Soothing Mask calms and repairs the complexion. The Soothing Mask ampoule contains vitamin K3 (menadione) and a soothing botanical complex to calm. Shake & Shot Rubber Brightening Mask brightens dull skin. The Brightening Mask ampoule contains vitamin C (ascorbic acid) and sea buckthorn fruit extract, rich in vitamins, to even out skin tone, brighten darkness, and revitalize skin. Shake & Shot Rubber Firming Mask improves skin elasticity and firmness. The Firming Mask ampoule contains vitamin A (retinol) and OxyForce cellular active to help support collagen synthesis and enhance elasticity and firmness of sagging skin.”
All of the products are formulated free of any sulfates, parabens, and harsh chemical additives, and work to soothe and brighten the complexion (results are visible directly following first time usage).
My favorite included product was probably the hydrating mask, but all of the masks exceeded claims of initial benefits with use. While the only letdown in this case is that for a single usage product, there is quite a bit of leftover product (that tends to dry and is not reusable afterwards), following use of all the included products, skin is left feeling “baby soft,” hydrated, nourished, redness dissipates, the skin appears more youthful and even in both tone and texture, and the face is fully brightened (dewy and glowy are likely the best descriptive adjectives).
I would highly recommend this set and these masks to fans of skincare, K-beauty, and rubber masks, as they are definitely the highest caliber products I’ve tried to date in the category.
Dr. Jart+ Shake & Shot To Go Products
1.94 oz Single-use Shake & Shot Rubber Hydro Mask
Out of all of the included products in the set, this one was likely my favorite, and I would both highly recommend it and repurchase it.
The mask feels incredibly to apply and lacks any greasy or sticky texture, and is not at all irritating on the skin following application. It moisturizes and revitalizes the entire complexion leaving skin soft, glowing, and radiant (ideal for those who are dry or experiencing full or uneven skin). Rich in amino acids and Vitamin B5, the mask supports overall skin health and helps create a protective barrier on the skin to prevent future sun and environmental damage.
This product is also ideal for those experiencing any topical redness, as it has anti-inflammatory properties and helps to nurture and soothe the skin. Additionally, I noticed a decrease in the appearance of pore size. While skin was left incredibly soft, there is also a detoxifying property to the product, because it definitely helps eliminate blackheads and tone down any blemishes, if you’re acne-prone or prone to experiencing issues in the T-Zone area.
The peel off process is pain-free, and results are visibly instantly following use. Within 15-20 minutes, you can easily peel off the treatment and the results are really remarkable for a single-use product. My entire complexion was brightened, radiance was fully restored, and it was left feeling incredibly smooth and soft.
I would highly recommend this product and it’s likely one of the best mask products and skincare products in general I have ever tried, and certainly with one of the fastest timings (in terms of visible results). It’s ideal for a pick-me-up or prior to an evening out or special event (for the latter, always remember to spot test upon first time use).
1.94 oz Single-use Shake & Shot Rubber Soothing Mask
The soothing mask is wonderful to use and extremely gentle, and ideal if you’re experiencing any type of redness, topical irritation, or suffer from very sensitive skin. The Soothing Mask ampoule contains Vitamin K3 (menadione) and a soothing botanical complex to calm irritated skin while providing hydration benefits.
This mask is certainly suitable for those of all skin types, including dry and sensitive. Following use, my skin appeared more vibrant and radiant, felt extremely soft and refreshed, and minimal redness I had experienced completely went away.
There are additional benefits with use including decreases in the appearance of pore size, skin texture and tone appeared brighter and more even, and it was extremely balancing.
As with the other masks, the peel-off process was both pain-free and easy. I would highly recommend this if you’re experiencing redness, skin irritation, dryness, or have very sensitive skin but are still interested in trying out a sheet mask product (or if you’ve had problems with other sheet masks in the past), as this is definitely the gentlest formulation I have tried to date in the category.
While my personal preference remains the hydrating formulation, I would definitely opt for this item if you’re extremely sensitive or trying to treat any topical irritation, redness, or general inflammation. This product is a akin to a hug for your skin!
1.94 oz Single-use Shake & Shot Rubber Brightening Mask
This product is ideal if you’re experiencing any sallow or dull skin, and also has anti-aging benefits, if you’re seeking a more refreshed and youthful aesthetic following use.
From the manufacturer, “The Brightening Mask ampoule contains Vitamin C (ascorbic acid) and sea buckthorn fruit extract, rich in vitamins, to even out skin tone, brighten darkness and revitalize skin.”
If you’re looking to treat skin that is dull or seems to have lost vibrancy, or plan on using this as a treatment continually, it can also assist in treating the signs of sun damage and pigmentation issues over time.
The product was gentle, easy to use, pain-free during the peel off process, and I definitely noticed a visibly brighter and restored complexion following use. If you’re looking to brighten up the skin with a single-use product, or looking for restored glow and radiance (prior to an event, day at work, or just as a nice splurge or treat), this is definitely an ideal item.
When used in conjunction with other brightening serums and products, you can definitely expect to alleviate and treat concerns like dullness and loss of vibrancy, or sun damage and hyperpigmentation, and the best part is- the process is fairly quick.
While the other masks included in the set work for brightening the complexion as well, I would recommend this product specifically if dullness and a loss of vibrancy or any pigmentation issues are your main skincare concerns, as it certainly exceeds initial claims of benefits to use.
5/5 stars and highly recommended as a brightening solution.
1.94 oz Single-use Shake & Shot Rubber Firming Mask
Out of all of the included products in the set, this one is likely the best if you’re seeking retroactive or preventative anti-aging benefits, and seeking to firm the skin while maintaining hydration and softness.
From the manufacturer, “The firming mask improves skin elasticity and firmness. The Firming Mask ampoule contains Vitamin A (retinol) and OxyForce™ Cellular Active to help boost collagen synthesis and enhance elasticity and firmness of sagging skin.”
By expediting the cellular turnover process and improving elasticity, users can expect a much more refreshed and vibrant complexion, in addition to treating more advanced aging concerns, such as the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles, and over time with continual use (in conjunction with other serums or creams), the appearance of sun spots, sun damage, and pigmentation issues.
I would highly recommend this product if you’re seeking to treat signs of aging and looking for a quick-fix, as improvements are visible directly following use. The skin instantly appears more youthful, soft, firmed, and hydrated. When used with other anti-aging products, you can truly expect to turn back the hands of time naturally free of any cosmetic procedures.
As with the other included products, the formulation is gentle and natural, and devoid of any parabens, sulfates, or harsh chemical additives, so it is still suitable for sensitive skin.
Dr. Jart+ Shake & Shot To Go Ingredients
While the ingredients contained in all of the formulations are quite lengthy and it would be challenging to list each, here is a look at some of the key (highest concentration) ingredients found in the product formulas. For those of us with sensitive skin, or simply those interested in clean skincare products that are topically absorbed, it can often be just as important to look over ingredient lists as the ones we would in the food we eat. Here is a look at some of the main ingredients contained in the mask products and their corresponding benefits with continual topical use:
- Provitamin of B5, or panthenol, acts to restore and replenish overall skin health
- Used as an emollient and moisturizer because of an ability to penetrate the skin, thus this ingredient hydrates and moisturizes skin leaving it fresh and supple
- Restores radiance to dull or sallow skin
- Leaves the skin feeling fresh, dewy, soft, and clean
- Works in tandem with other ingredients in the formulation to delivery benefits including hydration, restored balance, smoothness, and even texture
Aloe Vera Leaf Oil
- Anti-aging properties; aloe vera contains beta carotene, vitamin C and E that can help improve the skin’s natural firmness and improve elasticity
- Helps diminish the appearance of burned skin, soothes sunburns
- Anti-inflammatory properties promote healing and soothing to the skin
- Fights acne and acne-causing bacteria, helps address and repair scarring from previous acne
- Effective healing properties to the skin, helps repair and nurture tissue, helps treat sun damage
- Softens and hydrates skin without clogging pores, leading to a glowing complexion and reduced pore size
- Helps heal sunburns and promotes skin repair after exposure to UVA/B radiation
- Anti-aging, antioxidant-rich vitamin C helps boost collagen production and elasticity, diminishing the appearance of any wrinkles or lines, this is the active ingredient in the product with respect to anti-aging benefits of use
- Improves hydration and moisture, helps bind moisture into the skin and restores any depleted hydration, promoting a smoother aesthetic
- Acts as an anti-inflammatory and expedites healing rates, great for treating redness and irritation
- Safe and suitable for all skin types, including acne-prone skin, may offer benefits including decreasing breakouts and preventing acne-causing bacteria
- Treats signs of dullness on the skin and improves and restores radiance, leaving skin hydrated and glowing
- Brightens the skin naturally and reduces signs of uneven tone and discoloration, promoting an even and smooth overall tone for an even aesthetic after application, with longterm continual daily use helps in decreasing signs of hyper-pigmentation
Amino Acid Complex
- Increases hydration and moisture, which binds into the skin
- Promotes healthy PH balance to the skin, helping oily/combination, and dry skin types alike
- Hydrates the skin, helps in maintaining smoothness and softness
- Stimulates production of collagen, helping anti-aging benefits like decreases in fine lines and wrinkles
- Protects skin from future UV damage and sun exposure
- Helps in preventing acne-causing bacteria and preventing breakouts in acne-prone skin
- Promotes healthy skin aesthetic, improving overall radiance and glow
- Over time with continual daily use, treats more advanced signs of aging like hyper-pigmentation and dark spots from sun damage that have accumulated over time
- Potassium found in grapefruit extract helps treat wrinkles and UV damage, as well as sun spots and hyper-pigmentation
- Vitamin C and antioxidants found in grapefruit extract benefit the skin by protecting from environmental damage, such as sun damage and pollution
- Anti-aging benefits: helps decrease fine lines, wrinkles, sallow skin, and stimulates collagen production
- Grapefruit extract contains a high amount of antioxidants to promote skin health and hydrate the surface layer of the skin
- Softens and smoothens the overall aesthetic of the complexion, helping smoothen and retexturize the skin
- Vitamin A (Retinol)
Dr. Jart+ Shake & Shot To Go Pros & Cons
Considering all of the positive features with use and benefits, which if anything exceeded initial claims of use, this set proves to also come at a great value compared to retail value and I would definitely recommend it to fans of mask and sheet mask products, as it is the best I’ve tried to date in the entire category. With that in mind, the main downside is simply the leftover product and single-use nature of each mask. The product dries out and you are not able to use it more than once, but there are enough leftovers for 2-3 more uses, which is confusing from a consumer and manufacturing standpoint. My suggestion to mitigate this issue is simply to generously apply the product and any leftovers to the entire face and neck area, and even collarbones if need be, as to avoid general product waste. You may also try reapplying a second mask directly following first-time use, but it dries quite quickly, so the former is generally the safer bet. With that in mind, here are some main pros and cons to bear in mind prior to purchase:
- All of the included products are suitable and safe for all skin types, including sensitive skin
- All of the included products are free of parabens, sulfates, and harsh chemical additives, and only formulated with clean and naturally based ingredients
- Cruelty-free company: company does not test any of its products on any animals, use any animal products in formulations, or during any manufacturing processes
- All of the included products exceeded claims of initial benefits to use, including brightening, anti-aging, hydrating, and restoring a vibrant and radiant new complexion following use
- Results are visible immediately following first-time use, and ideal for those seeking a quick pick-me-up, or looking for a product prior to an event or special evening or day out
- The firming mask included in the set definitely provides anti-aging benefits that are visible quite quickly, including treating signs of fine lines and wrinkles (as well as fighting sun damage and spots and pigmentation issues if used continually over time)
- The hydrating mask included softens the complexion, restores radiance, helps alleviate any redness, and leaves the skin with a dewy glow directly following use
- The soothing mask included is ideal for those seeking to treat topical irritation and redness, and great for users with very sensitive skin who are interested in rubber mask products
- The brightening mask included in the set is rather self-explanatory, and helps instantly revive dullness and sallow skin, if that’s a main concern for you
- The peel-off process is pain free with all of the masks, unlike other competitor products on the market
- The set offers great value compared to retail, and only requires weekly usage, proving longevity in conjunction with value for the cost
- Excellent option as a gifting item for a recipient in your life who enjoys skincare products, especially because the formulations are clean and safe (barring specific allergy) for those with sensitive skin
- Excellent introductory item for those new to the line or trying out sheet rubber masks for the first time, as they actually work in providing benefits and the process is pain-free
- Excellent item if you’re already a fan of other Dr. Jart sheet mask products and skincare items, for variety and to try products you’ll likely be very pleased with if you’re already a fan of other products from the brand
- Even with very sensitive and acne-prone skin, none of the products created any topical redness, irritation, reaction, or breakouts (this is highly variable based on individual allergies, so spot testing is always recommended prior to actual use)
- For those who appreciate merchandising and aesthetic packaging design, this is certainly one of the single most creative products visually I’ve seen to date, which can be highly appreciated from a marketing perspective (thankfully the products themselves actually live up to the hype and this is simple a fun add on), you may wish to even keep and reuse the bottles, as they are quite sturdy and decorative
- Even though this is a great savings in comparison to individual at under $40 for the entire set, the single-use nature of each mask can be discouraging as there is a lot of leftover product, and the product dries out so it cannot be reapplied (if desired, you can either just use the entire treatment and apply to the neck and collarbone areas as well, or try to reapply leftover product immediately after rinsing off the treatment if it has not dried or settled yet)- but this does not seem to benefit the consumer or the manufacturer, so it would be nice if the bottles were smaller in greater quantities
- Some users describe the products as “messy” and/or difficult to apply, and although I did not experience this, if you do not like handling product or potential spill, I would suggest opting for a traditional sheet mask instead
Especially considering the varying skin sensitivities and concerns about trying out new mask treatments or topical products, the return policy in this case may be a highly important factor for you.
The manufacturer, Dr. Jart, has a strong return and exchange policy that honors full refunds upon dissatisfaction or allergy, and this policy favors the consumer, both new and returning.
If you are dissatisfied with the use of any of the mask products in the set, or if they do not work for your skin to provide suitable hydrating, brightening, or anti-aging benefits, or you experience any product allergy or reaction to the formulation, you may elect to return it at any time.
In this case, you will receive a full refund equal to the entire purchase price of the item. If the item was received as a gift (without receipt), the policy applies for an even exchange, and this policy is applicable to online purchase, as individual store policy may vary depending on location and distributer.
If you feel the policy if not taken into consideration, you may contact customer service, and you can remain ensured you will receive a full refund. It’s important to take into considering the entire set will need to be returned as the policy does not apply for refund or exchange with individual items contained within the set.
I was happy to discover that all of the formulations were gentle enough to use even with very sensitive skin and did not cause any breakouts, but due to various concerns or sensitivity issues this policy may help assuage fears, as individual allergies are highly variable.
While I felt compared to the longevity and benefits the set was a worthy splurge, and one which offered a high savings compared to retail, this is a highly individual choice, and only one you as a consumer can decide on.
Dr. Jart+ Shake & Shot To Go: Worth It?
Dr. Jart’s Shake and Shot To Go Set definitely exceeded my initial expectations, and suffice to say without having used the products prior I may have attributed a lot of the trending and associated product hype to packaging design and clever marketing.
But beyond the creative design, the products actually all work in meeting (and exceeding) claims of initial benefits, and if you’re a fan of painless rubber masks that work in providing skincare benefits with use, this is absolutely an item to put on your next shopping list.
This makes a wonderful gifting option as well, especially because the formulations are all safe and suitable for all skin types, including sensitive skin and acne-prone skin. In fact, most of the included products alleviate irritation and topical redness rather than creating it.
As an introductory item to the brand or rubber mask category in general, this is an excellent jumping off point for newbies (who may have understandable trepidation given innumerous YouTube videos of users peeling off products in the category in pain and experiencing redness). By contrast, these masks are all quite safe and gentle, yet still provide excellent benefits, that are visible immediately after first-time use.
Ultimately, this set definitely exceeds and matches its hype, and is the best rubber mask set and product in the category I’ve tried to date. I would recommend it free of reservations, and would happily rate this product at above 5/5 stars if that made metrical sense.