Though I’d used other products from the brand before with great results, I was new to the very hype Ouai Wave Spray, known for producing sexy straight off the beach tousled locks (or so claimed my friends).
After hearing a lot of this feedback and reading through reviews, I decided to give the product a shot to see how it would work for my naturally frizzy hair that requires quite a bit of styling to get that sexy beach look we’re all striving for.
The only other products I was familiar with before trying this one out by the brand were the Ouai hair oil and dry shampoo, we’ve linked them so you can read reviews on them also if you need some extra moisture or need to go in between a couple of washes.
Whenever I’ve used a company’s other products with good results and hear about a new must-have under the same brand name, it’s a done deal. When I hear the product is an Allure Best of Beauty Winner on top of both of these factors, I have to have it.
So despite the price point (as the wave spray isn’t cheap), I was definitely sold on trying it out.
So is it as sexy as everyone makes it out to be and does it live up to all of its hype?
We tested it out first, so you wouldn’t have to.
Review: Ouai Wave Spray
I first tried out Quai Wave Spray in dry hair post-styling by doing the “flip your hair upside down and spray” move and was amazed by the body and texture that followed.
Some of the first things I noticed that piqued my interest further? No crunch, no stick, no mess, no frills, and no hassles. There was also a lovely scent that lingered in my hair for the next few hours without being overpowering or obnoxious at all.
Lovely. Definitely sexy beach wave territory.
I would describe the look as textured, fuller volume, and enhanced shine. My hair also felt softer and looked more radiant, but without any “tacky” quality that would come with the use of a spray.
The hold was medium, and less that the use of a spray, as I definitely reapplied it a couple of times throughout the day to maintain the same aesthetic.
The second time I tried it out on wet hair, and loved the look. This time I felt the hold was stronger and the waves lasted for a longer time, but this would be difficult for those with naturally super-straight hair to pull off.
Ultimately this is one of the single best hair products I’ve tested out to date and I would highly recommend it for its versatility, quality, scent, and overall ability to produce “off the beach waves” unlike any other competitor product on the market.
Ouai Wave Spray: Positives and Negatives
Overall, I felt like the Ouai Wave Spray was the single best hair product I’ve tried for getting “sexy off the beach” tousled and textured locks, and it never seemed to hold down my hair or feel heavy or greasy/sticky. The only really downsides I found were the price point and the need to keep reapplying the product (or use a heavy amount of product for volume).
With that in mind, here are some main pros and cons to bear in mind prior to purchase:
- When applied to the hair it helps you achieve sultry “off the beach” waves and volume and texture to the hair
- The product is not sticky, tacky, or greasy and doesn’t weigh down the hair (even with heavy use)
- Scent: the Ouai wave spray has a lovely fresh light smell that isn’t too heavy but still lingers on the hair throughout the day
- Product is an Allure Best of Beauty Winner (2017)
- Helps restore shine and luminosity to the hair (if your hair is dull or needs subtle shine)
- Holds throughout the day but lacks any of the same sticky quality you’d get with using a hairspray, you don’t feel a need to wash it off
- The texture is lightweight with a medium hold but very buildable depending on the amount used
- Suitable and safe for all hair types and lengths (including color treated hair)
- Can be used in either wet or dry hair for waves and texture and enhanced volume
- Softens the hair (rather than making locks feel “crispy” after use like a spray)
- Makes a great gifting option for recipients who enjoy beauty items (check out this guide on rewarding yourself for good financial behavior)
- I found I needed a lot of product and to continue reapplying the product to achieve the same volume, particularly during hot summer months when heat and other weather conditions would create hair frizz
- Cost: at almost $40 for 5 ounces of product, this certainly doesn’t come cheap, however I found even despite heavy use it did last for quite some time
Ouai Wave Spray: Money-Back Guarantee
If price barriers are a concern given this particular item or if you have not used Ouai hair care products in the past, the return and exchange policy in this case may be a highly important factor for you.
Ouai has a strong return and exchange policy that honors full refunds upon any dissatisfaction or allergy, and this policy favors the consumer, both new and returning.
If you are dissatisfied with the use of the Ouai Wave Spray, or if it does not work for your hair to provide suitable volumizing or texture benefits, the manufacturer guarantees a full money-back guarantee for the entire purchase price.
In this case, you will receive a full refund equal to the entire purchase price of the item, if purchased via Amazon. We cannot always guarantee the authenticity of products sold from vendors outside of Amazon.
Ouai Wave Spray: The Final Verdict
The infamous Ouai Wave Spray definitely lived up to its hype upon testing it out, and proves suitable for a variety of hair types, textures, and lengths. It’s even great for those with color-treated hair, and can be used in both wet and dry hair.
I found it definitely lived up to its award-winning status, because it’s one of the only hair products I’ve used that’s left my hair softer and subtly shiny without leaving behind any crunch or weight. It still gives you texture, sexy beach waves, and is very buildable depending on how much product you apply.
My only qualm with using this slightly pricey spray was I felt I sometimes needed to continue reapplying the product throughout the day to achieve the same level of body and texture in my hair, however, this was also weather-dependent, and the product still seemed to last for quite some time even with heavier use.
The wave spray also scores major points for its amazing scent that lingers without being overpowering.
Out of every hair product I have tried to date this one ranks number one for its ability to produce sexy tousled beach waves, and it’s great even if you have shorter hair.
Highly recommended with a 5/5 perfect score from us without any reservations!