Bumble and Bumble’s Surf Spray has to be one of the most unique hair products I have tried, in a very positive way. It leaves you with that perfect sexy, messy finish that works for any hair type.
Designed to mimic the appearance of that “fresh off the beach” look, adding sexy and sultry tousled waves to the hair, the spray actually works in doing just that.
The most unique part about this bestselling old classic (and fan-favorite product)? This look really can’t be achieved through the use of any hot tools or other styling products, or any shampoos or conditioners.
Unless you want to take a trip to the beach everyday, which most of us would love to but can’t based on location restrictions.
The surf spray is infused with salt and suitable for all hair types, and besides adding texture and volume, it also acts as a UVA/UVB shield (so you can use this to protect from heat and environmental damage as well).
So will this product work for your hair type and provide a sexy off the beach look? We tested and reviewed to find out.
Review: Bumble and Bumble Surf Spray
Bumble and Bumble’s Surf Spray is a 4oz styling spray designed for all hair types and made with a salt water mineral complex, to give us those fresh off the beach waves we are all searching for when we can’t go on vacation (if you’re like me, you wan’t that look most of the time but can’t afford the vacation splurge most of the time).
It can be used on wet hair for a natural finish to add volume and create sexy waves, or used with a comb and blow dryer for a more polished and elevated look.
It’s different than any other salt mist or spray I have tried before for a few reasons and easy to see why its a bestseller and fan favorite for the brand.
The surf spray, although it is a matte finish, does not dry out the hair after use or leave it feeling sticky (although it will absorb excess oil on days you haven’t been able to wash your hair, while creating volume).
It also protects the hair from the sun and environment, helping those with color treated hair prolong their hold- and helping all of us maintain hair health.
Out of all of the competitor products in this category I have tried yet that promise to deliver “fresh off the beach” waves that are natural looking and sexy, Bumble and Bumble’s Surf Spray is truly the only one that gets the job done.
When you’re looking for sultry tousled waves with just a hint of (still very wearable) mess, this is perfect for using in damp locks.
When you’re looking for a more polished and wavy finish with added body, using a small amount with a styling tool makes a major difference in the finishing look of the hair- and makes this well worth the price.
Bumble and Bumble Surf Spray: How Do I Use It?
For best results, use the surf spray as directed:
- Shake the bottle well before use
- Mist throughout damp or wet hair before blow or air drying, only a little product/conservative use is needed and you can spray about 8 inches away from the hair
- Use your fingers to comb and scrunch your hair, coating the product evenly throughout strands, working the product from the roots to ends
- For a more polished or volumized/textured look, blow dry using a brush
- For a windswept look, blow dry using the fingers to style and crunch the hair for added texture
- Added hint: if you pull the hair back into a bun and spray product on the hair (a small amount), and gently undo the hair a few hours later, the result is natural looking tousled waves
- Added hint: if you are seeking extra vibrance or shine, you may want to top with a serum, oil, or shine spray
Bumble and Bumble Surf Spray Ingredients
Bumble and Bumble Salt Mineral Complex
A combination of sea salts, lake salts, and sodium chloride texturize the hair, add volume, and provide added body for those of varying hair types
VP/VA Copolymer and Acrylates Copolymer
Works with the Salt Complex to provide body, hold, and volume for all hair types (this ingredient works especially well for those looking to use the Surf Spray with heat styling tools and blow dryers)
Bumble and Bumble Beach Protective Blend
Guards against the drying effects of the sun’s UVA and UVB rays, helps fight against environmental damage, and infuses hair with coconut fruit extract, algae extract, vitamins, minerals, and amino acids. These ingredients help to hydrate hair (helping this act as a non-drying formula), support overall hair health, and help to support color hold for those with color treated hair.
These ingredients can also help prevent hair shedding, loss, and help prevent the hair from become brittle or any breakage.
Bumble and Bumble Tropical Blend
This patented ingredient adds movement, volume, bounce, and hydration and conditions hair using coconut water and kukui seed, mango seed, and coconut oils. These ingredients work with the others in the formulation to support hair health, maintain moisture and add texture.
Bumble and Bumble Surf Spray Pros and Cons
Here are some key pros and cons to bear in mind prior to purchase:
- Safe and suitable for all hair types (including straight, curly, wavy, coiled, tightly coiled, and color treated)
- Cruelty-free company: Bumble and Bumble does not test any of its products on any animals, use any animal products in any of its product formulations, or during any manufacturing processes
- The Surf Spray is sulfate free and does not contain any parabens, mineral oil, or harsh chemical binding agents
- Protects from UVA and UVB rays, helping to avoid additional damage from the sun and environment
- Creates a “fresh off the beach” look and adds volume and texture in a way that is exclusive to this specific product (I have yet to find another product that truly replicates an “off the beach” appearance)
- The formulation and ingredients used in the Surf Spray are nourishing and moisturizing, and do not dry out the hair unlike other salt spray competitor products on the market
- When used with a blow dryer, the result is a tousled a polished look with added volume and natural looking textured waves
- Mattifies the hair and helps control the appearance of excess oil production (without stripping it out)
- Can be used after curling the hair or creating waves for additional soft and natural texture/volume
- If you have curly hair: can help transform the hair naturally into softer, gentler waves
- Amazing fresh scent that lingers in the hair throughout the day (does not smell like harsh perfume, very natural)
- Doesn’t leave the hair feeling weighed down and feels quite lightweight in texture
- For those with layered hair, leaves a sexy, choppy appearance after use
- For color treated hair- does not strip the hair of any color, and actually helps to maintain color hold through sun protective factor
- Longevity: even with daily use, the Surf Spray lasts for several months of use
- Some customers have said that the product feels sticky/crunchy in the hair, or ends up making the hair look frizzy (to prevent crunch it is very important not to overuse product)
- Some customers felt the Surf Spray was very drying to the hair (with dry hair I did not experience this, but it was a complaint from some reviewers)
- This product may not be the best for extremely straight or fine hair (unless used with hot tools or blow dryers), as it may not be enough to achieve the desired volume or texture, in some cases- as expressed by reviewers
- Price point: while this is definitely not an inexpensive item, the price point was worth it for me- only because this is the only salt based styling spray I have found to date with nourishing ingredients that actually delivered on the “sexy off the beach waves” promise (I will happily update readers if I find another one at a lower cost that does the job)
Bumble and Bumble’s Money-Back Guarantee Policy
If price barriers are a concern given this particular item or if you have not used Bumble and Bumble products in the past, the return and exchange policy in this case may be a highly important factor for you.
The manufacturer, Bumble and Bumble, has a strong return and exchange policy that honors full refunds upon dissatisfaction or allergy, and this policy favors the consumer, both new and returning.
If you are dissatisfied with the use of the The Surf Spray, or if it does not work for your hair to provide suitable texturizing or volumizing benefits, or you experience any product allergy or reaction to the formulation on the hair or scalp areas, you may elect to return it at any time.
In this case, you will receive a full refund equal to the entire purchase price of the item, if purchased via Amazon.
In this case, the formulation of Surf Spray was gentle enough to use even with very dry and color-treated hair and did not cause any irritation to the scalp or dryness, but due to any personal sensitivity concerns or price issues this policy may help assuage fears, as individual allergies are highly variable.
Bumble and Bumble Surf Spray: Is It Worth It?
Aren’t we all looking for that fresh off of the beach sexy, tousled wave look without the vacation price sticker?
As mentioned in the review, Bumble’s Surf Spray is truly the only styling product I have tried that actually delivers on this promise- even though it seems too good to be true.
Pair this with a great bronzer, blush, and natural makeup look, and you have yourself a perfect and natural looking sultry look that seems effortless (even if you did put some effort in to it- nobody else needs to know, do they?)
It works for all hair types and doesn’t dry out the hair or leave you feeling sticky or tacky, and has a pretty clean scent that lingers through the day.
If you’re looking for a styling spray that leaves your hair tousled and sultry without any St. Tropez fees, this is your new go-to product.
It really does work, and it’s really tough to find products in this category that actually work, which is why I find it more than worth the price sticker compared to value.