Review: Bioderma Micellar Water (#1 Affordable Makeup Remover For Sensitive Skin?)
Bioderma Sensibio H2O Micellar Water is the only gentle cleanser and makeup remover that is 100% compatible with your natural skin. Designed to gently remove makeup, oil, and dirt for even the most sensitive and acne-prone skin, Micellar Water is not only affordable, it also uses ingredients that are already present in the body.
When you’re in need of a soothing, nourishing, and effective cleansing solution and makeup remover that doesn’t lead to irritation or any dryness or clogged pores, Bioderma’s Micellar Water is one of the most natural solutions I’ve found available.
It feels cooling, refreshing, and is easy to apply, and even works in getting off waterproof makeup.
It’s great for use in the AM before your regular skincare routine, and perfect for gently wiping the day away in the evenings.
Especially if you are prone to breakouts or irritation using skincare products or cleansers, this is one of the most nourishing treatments you can use on your skin, made with clean ingredients, and doesn’t even break the bank.
But is Bioderma’s Micellar Water right for you?
We reviewed to test it out first so you wouldn’t have to.
Review: Bioderma Micellar Water
Bioderma’s Micellar Water is a 500ml gentle makeup remover and cleansing solution (many use this as a daily cleanser and toner, some opt for just makeup remover), that comes in a 100ml trial size version as well if you are traveling or just want to test it out for the first time.
At under $15, the product lasts for months and does an excellent job in both leaving your skin feeling cool, refreshed, and hydrated, and removing all makeup gently (including waterproof makeup).
Made for even the most sensitive skin types, Micellar Water feels just like water when you apply it and doesn’t have any tingly, burning or uncomfortable sensations you may normally feel when using an astringent type skincare product.
While a lot of customers love Micellar Water as a daily cleanser and toner, I used this is a makeup remover and followed with a regular cleanser and skincare regimen, just because it made my evening routine feel more complete.
In the AM, this felt fine to use as a gentle cleansing solution and toner as well.
I loved how this wasn’t irritating or drying to the face, how well it removed makeup so gently, and how for a great price point it still felt like a luxury brand item.
Bioderma Micellar Water has been a bestseller and French staple skincare product for years, that has spread to the U.S. and has women (and men) raving about it all across the globe now.
The coolest product feature that we all need and the standout?
It’s so closely compatible to your own skin in its formula that is incredibly gentle, safe, and effective even if you normally breakout or experience redness or irritation using makeup removing products, but it still gets the job done.
If you’re comparison shopping for similar products, we recommend checking out a couple of other bargain beauty finds we’ve previously reviewed with flying colors: Thayers Witch Hazel Toner and Valjean Labs Facial Serum while you’re here!
Bioderma Micellar Water: How To Use
- Use with a cotton pad and gently apply the product to a dry face, massaging the product in to remove makeup
- Repeat the process with pads as needed until makeup, dirt, and oil is full removed from skin
- Can be used on all areas of the face, neck, and eyes, including to remove waterproof mascara
- Removal with water is not needed, but some users prefer to follow with a different daily cleanser or toner depending on personal preferences
Bioderma Micellar Water: Pros and Cons
Overall, Bioderma’s Micellar Water is an incredibly gentle makeup remover that does a good job of removing even waterproof makeup, oil, and debris from the skin without creating any irritation or breakouts (unless you have a specific allergy), and it leaves your skin feeling soft, refreshed and hydrated. It really is like a cool burst of water for your face, and never feels drying or stripping on the skin yet still tones.
It’s also incredibly affordable yet clean and feels like an “old fashioned French luxury product” in a bottle that lasts for months. While there have been some recent manufacturing issues that seem to have been solved, if you experience these refer to the money-back guarantee policy.
With that in mind, here are some key pros and cons to bear in mind prior to purchase with Bioderma’s Micellar Water:
- Instantly feels fresh and soothing on the skin, and leaves skin looking refreshed and brightened
- Safe for all skin types, including the most sensitive skin and acne-prone skin
- Free of all parabens and ingredients that can be harmful or cause breakouts to the skin (or be toxic over time)
- The formula of Bioderma’s Micellar Water is nearly perfectly compatible with natural skin, micelles in Sensibio H2O are uniquely similar to the skins own structure
- Provides a gentle cleanse that is safe for sensitive skin but still gets rid of all of your makeup, even waterproof makeup and eye makeup
- No rinsing required: you can simply use the product with cotton pads and eliminate all product until its gone without a wash at the end
- Perfect for if you make mistakes with your makeup and need to make touch-ups or adjustments
- Product shelf-life: even if used daily twice per day, it lasts months and you won’t need to replace it for a very long time, adding value to an already inexpensive item
- Bioderma’s Micellar Water does not create any burning or stinging sensations like a lot of treatment astringent skincare products can, and does not feel harsh, sticky, or greasy on the face
- Can be used without the need for a toner/as a toner replacement if desired
- Can be used with eyelash extensions safely (oil and fragrance free)
- Can be used for dry skin types without stripping the skin but is great for oily/combination skin in particular (provides balance and shine control)
- Some customers reported they received products with broken caps and/or spilled bottles during shipment (this may have been a manufacturing shipment process order issue with a number of orders), Amazon has since said this has been resolved, however if this happens to you, you are entitled to a full refund for the entire purchase price of the item
- Because it is not an oil, it may take some time to use and remove all your makeup, so patience is key, you may have to use a few cotton pads and gently massage all of the makeup off of the face for a few seconds before everything is removed
- Some users felt the Micellar Water was drying to their skin after use, although I did not feel this way even with dry skin (however this was followed by the use of a serum and cream to hydrate)
Bioderma’s Money-Back Guarantee Policy
If you have very sensitive or acne-prone skin or have not used Bioderma skincare products in the past, the return and exchange policy in this case may be a highly important factor for you.
The manufacturer, Bioderma, has a strong return and exchange policy that honors full refunds upon dissatisfaction or allergy, and this policy favors the consumer, both new and returning.
If you are dissatisfied with the use of Bioderma’s Micellar Water, or if it does not work for your skin to provide suitable makeup removal, cleansing and general skincare benefits, or you experience any product allergy or reaction to the formulation, you may elect to return it at any time. If you have any issues with manufacturing issues the same policy applies.
In this case, you will receive a full refund equal to the entire purchase price of the item, if purchased via Amazon (it can’t be guaranteed to apply to individual stores or merchants).
Bioderma Micellar Water: Worth It Winner?
When you’re in need of a gentle way to remove all you’re makeup, especially if you have sensitive skin that is prone to breaking out or getting irritated easily with the use of different cleansing skincare products or removers, Bioderma’s Micellar Water is a great way to gently and effectively remove even the most stubborn waterproof makeup and still only feel like you have refreshing water on your face.
A cult-favorite for years, it leaves the skin feeling soft and looking more radiant and is perfect as a morning toner and gentle remover for all types of skin and makeup.
Without even having to rinse the product off with water when you’re finished, you can simply wipe the day away using cotton pads and follow with your regular makeup or skincare routine.
In terms of clean ingredients, this is as close in formula to your actual skin as you can get and free of any harmful additives, fragrances, or oils, so you don’t have to worry about clogged pores or any breakouts or rashes after using it.
We highly recommend Bioderma’s Micellar Water, while sold at a drugstore price this revitalizing cleansing solution makes you feel like your using a fancy luxury product you picked up at a shop in Paris, or at least you can pretend that you did!